77 members have voted

1. 1. Which film do you prefer?

• Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
    • The Dark Knight

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really disliked Batman Begins (way too dark) and have no intention of seeing The Dark Knight, which is probably darker still. I did like Indy IV, which even though it's not perfect, does have a fair amount of things to like about it.

I enjoyed Indy alot, and though batman is cool, im not interested in it very much.

I dont have to watch TDK to know i wont like it more than indy.

Definately, i rather listen to Williams' KOTCS than anything from BB or TDK.

I haven't even seen TDK but I'm gonna say it's better than KOTCS.

Agreed, and I enjoyed KOTCS a lot.

But we are voting what do we PREFER, not what do we think that is the BETTER.

Well, in Mark's case, almost anything (except AOTC maybe??) would be Better than Indy IV...

I liked KOTCS, but without a doubt The Dark Knight is better. Except for the score it's better in every way.

I haven't even seen TDK but I'm gonna say it's better than KOTCS.

Agreed, and I enjoyed KOTCS a lot.

But we are voting what do we PREFER, not what do we think that is the BETTER.

Well, in Mark's case, almost anything (except AOTC maybe??) would be Better than Indy IV...

Okay. Based on what I've already seen, I prefer TDK to KOTCS.

I hate to say it because both of these movies were the big ones I wanted to see for the summer and while I think Indy was awesome, I'm gonna have to say that TDK was better. Indy had some flaws to it and TDK, in my opinion, had none. It was about as close to a perfect movie we're going to get in this day and age. However, it's tough to say because they are two different kinds of films, IMO.

Indy had some flaws to it and TDK, in my opinion, had none.

For the love of god, when reviewing TDK, and its lack of flaws, do not forget the one BIG FAT FLAW: The absence of a good score.

For the love of god, when reviewing TDK, and its lack of flaws, do not forget the one BIG FAT FLAW: The absence of a good score.

You haven't seen the movie, and by all accounts won't. Regardless of what you've heard on CD, until you've seen the movie you have absolutely no room to talk about whether the film score is good or not. Not to retread a recent argument, but how the music works in the movie is what matters most, not what it's like as a listening experience. It's possible to have a score that works perfectly in the film but is lousy to listen to.

You haven't seen the movie, and by all accounts won't. Regardless of what you've heard on CD, until you've seen the movie you have absolutely no room to talk about whether the film score is good or not. Not to retread a recent argument, but how the music works in the movie is what matters most, not what it's like as a listening experience. It's possible to have a score that works perfectly in the film but is lousy to listen to.

So TDK is just a film score.

But you can also wonder how better it would be with a normal score.

People do this on a constant basis. 'How good would be indy IV with darabonts script', 'how good would it be without aliens', how good...'etc...

Batman begins has a lousy score to listen to while watching the film, and i assume the same goes for The Dark Knight.

A good film can cover up a crappy score as long as the music doesn't try to stand out on it's own.

Besides the main purpose of a score is to support the action on screen. Based on the clips I've seen, the score does it's job in the movie.

Not to retread a recent argument, but how the music works in the movie is what matters most, not what it's like as a listening experience.

Depends on your perspective.

It's possible to have a score that works perfectly in the film but is lousy to listen to.

Agreed, but let's also put it this way: it's possible to have a score that serves its film flawlessly but in and of itself makes for mediocre music. Whether or not this point is irrelevant depends again on your perspective.

Hmm, a John Williams score versus a Hans Zimmer score on a John Williams fan website.....

Except that we're voting for the best film, not score.

John- who fully expects to vote The Dark Knight after seeing it

This is comparing apples to oranges. They're two totally different movies.

I happen to prefer apples to oranges. Generally easier to eat.

True that. Taste better in pies too!

Hmm, a John Williams score versus a Hans Zimmer score on a John Williams fan website.....

Except that we're voting for the best film, not score.

John- who fully expects to vote The Dark Knight after seeing it

Prefered film

Even if I thought TDK was a better movie, i would still vote indy since its the genre and film i prefer.

I dont know what you mean, but it makes perfect sense.

Which do you prefer, Star Wars or Schindler's List?

I would vote Star Wars

Which do you think is the Better movie, Star Wars or Schindler's List?

I would vote Schindler's List

Clear enough?

That makes sense...... ;)

It's like comparing apples and sh*t. One might argue that apples, when fresh, would make for the healthier, and hence, better, option. But it all comes down to taste, and, for Luke, sh*t simply tastes better.

You must be growing more forgiving with old age, Mark. ;)

Exactly. Why is everyone 'alright' with this score because it adds fine noise and rhythm to the on-screen images? Why stop there?

Exactly. Why is everyone 'alright' with this score because it adds fine noise and rhythm to the on-screen images? Why stop there?

colinthomson is on a crusade ladies and gentlemen! A round of applause!

I would vote Star Wars

Clear enough?

WOW Luke..you've lost it.

Please, explain to me what is wrong in my statement

colinthomson is on a crusade ladies and gentlemen! A round of applause!

You bet I am.

Because if you aren't, Zimmer and Howard will crap over you like a trucker after a burger eating contest:

http://www.filmtracks.com/scoreboard/index.cgi?read=16153

JNH: "To do that is such idiocy. I love it when people write about something and they just reveal how much they don't know about what they're writing"

But...but...

That cuts me deeply...

But I am willing to think that The Dark Knight is better than Batman Begins, if only because I want to so desperately just because James Newton Howard says it is great.

And really, he should know.

I like it so much better when he writes his own music, and doesn't defend other people's.

I would vote Star Wars

Clear enough?

WOW Luke..you've lost it.

Please, explain to me what is wrong in my statement

You've become an overly defensive George Lucas properties and CGI effects obsessed cliche.

Wow, so much votes for what is essentially a bad movie. Only at JWfan (and other Spielberg boards) can one find such blind loyalty. It's either that or The Dark Knight must suck unbelievably hard and only JWfans have enough wisdom to see it.

Alex

Aren't you a Christian Bale fanboy?

I'm not a fanboy. I like him as an actor but that doesn't mean I like his films. And with Empire of the Sun being one of my favorite films, I'm not a Spielberg hater either.

Alex