Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull vs. The Dark Knight

indy4

Which film do you prefer?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Which film do you prefer?

• Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
    • The Dark Knight

Maybe Batman just isn't some people's cuppa-tea.

Maybe. I know it's not mine. But I still can judge a movie on its own merits, not its subject.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know what you mean, but it makes perfect sense.

Which do you prefer, Star Wars or Schindler's List?

I would vote Star Wars

Which do you think is the Better movie, Star Wars or Schindler's List?

I would vote Schindler's List

Clear enough?

WOW Luke..you've lost it.

Please, explain to me what is wrong in my statement

You've become an overly defensive George Lucas properties and CGI effects obsessed cliche.

But then i think i just said that the non-Lucas, un-CGI movie Schindler's list is better than anything Lucas has created...

JNH: "To do that is such idiocy. I love it when people write about something and they just reveal how much they don't know about what they're writing"

Hehe.. now Mr. Howard is even more sympathetic to me... :)

I loved the new Indy movie, warts and all.

The Dark Knight is so much better that they're not even in the same league. The Dark Knight is more in the same league that Raiders of the Lost Ark is in. I'm not saying it's as good, or that I like it as much, but maybe it is, and maybe I do; only time and perspective will sort that out for sure. But people are flipping out for this movie; they are flipping right the f--k out, the same way people used to flip out over the new masterpieces Spielberg was putting out seemingly every year. That doesn't happen for no reason.

I voted Indy. As much as I LOVED "The Dark Knight", I enjoyed the experience of Indy more. It was my first time seeing an Indy film in the theater.

But doesn't surprise me either.

I switched the two titles, TDK is still beating Indy.

It really is:

Indy at 14, TDK at 21.

But doesn't surprise me either.

I switched the two titles, TDK is still beating Indy.

It really is:

Indy at 14, TDK at 21.

So you, uh, cheated.

As The Dark Knight urges us to contemplate the fluidity of good and evil, it is fitting that its position atop this poll was fleeting and so easily reversed.

I love Indy 4 and defended it against the unfair attacks, but there's no way it beats Dark Knight. Dark Knight is.....well....legendary and fantastic. Easily the best movie of the past 10, 20 years. An argument could be made that it's one of the best ever. Certainly no movie has been made since I've been born that is better. (22 years)

I think people are just afraid to say it's great because it's a "comic book movie" but it transcends that easily. Analyze it anyway you want, it succeeds in every area.

I agree, it's essentially a flawless film, but to call it the greatest movie ever made in the last 22 years is pushing it. It did have some of it's own problems. For one, they really didn't have a lot of Bruce Wayne and his relationship with Rachel, it was constant Batman.

I'm sure if you normally think about the thousands of movies that have been made in the last 22 years, you would find one you like more than The Dark Knight. For me, No Country For Old Men, Fargo, and Pulp Fiction are all superior.

I can't wait to see TDK to give my input.

I already know the score sucks,so any movie with a sucky score cannot be an automatic classic.

Yes,but it not going to be like TESB ,where I wanted to see the movie again and again in great part to hear Williams music

True. TDK score does not even approach the brilliance of ESB score.

TDK's score is not to be mentioned in the same sentence as 'decent', much less 'brilliant'.

but its just that. Functional...and annoying at times. nothing more nothing less.

Neither does Indy IV.

Neither does Indy IV.

Indy 4 comes closer.

On a seperate note, I think I'll being seeing Indy one last time in theatres, probably next weekend.

indy4 - who actually enjoys some parts of TDK score, much more than BB

The point beeing,a movie needs more than a "functionnal score" to be elevated to classic status in the long term (something you talk about 20 years later ,like Jaws,CE3K,Star Wars,TESB,Jurassic Park,E.T. ......)

I' m sure I'll enjoy TDK ,but it'll probably just the "movie of the week" thing for me ,like last week was Hellboy2,and the week before Incredible Hulk,and Iron Man a month ago...

K.M. Who barely remembers anything in Batman Begins

Ledger's performance, among other things, is enough to elevate that film from "movie of the week" to something more. I mean, it's definetly not anywhere close to being one of my favorite films, it's not even my favorite of the year, but I still loved it, and I might see it again. I'm still debating whether I should get it on DVD.

And I really disliked BB.

Zimmer/Howard's score for The Dark Knight is great stuff, as far as I'm concerned. I guess I sort of understand why somebody wouldn't want to listen to it very often (or ever), but I'm not in the same boat; I find it to be propulsive, engaging, and a key part of the enjoyability of both movies. I'll take either score over Crystal Skull, but not by much, and mainly just because I like both movies more than I like the last Indy movie.

the score to TDK was unmemorable which to some means a good score, I don't agree, it was by far the weakest part of this film. I'd give Zimmer an F for his efforts. I don't even consider this a James Newton Howard score.

Parts of the TDK score sounded like POTC, sad because this movie could have really benefitted from a great score. I remember seeing Burtons Batman for the first time and being thrilled watching the opening titles and hearing that music. I wish the new Batman films would at least try something like that.

Zimmer/Howard's score for The Dark Knight is great stuff, as far as I'm concerned. I guess I sort of understand why somebody wouldn't want to listen to it very often (or ever), but I'm not in the same boat; I find it to be propulsive, engaging, and a key part of the enjoyability of both movies. I'll take either score over Crystal Skull, but not by much, and mainly just because I like both movies more than I like the last Indy movie.

I listen to "Temple Ruins and the Secret Revealed" and "The Departure" and I think "now that's great music!"

Both new bat scores put me to sleep.

Agreed.

I listen to "Temple Ruins and the Secret Revealed" and "The Departure" and I think "now that's great music!"

Both new bat scores put me to sleep.

Yes, I think that during both of those tracks also (although I think "Ants!" is my favorite).

I also think that Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are great scores. Sorry so many of you on this board don't.

Well,that's the sound that ruined film music. All Zimmer scores are "propulsive",that's all they are

I'm sure you new crop of film score fans that just need ambiance tracks on thier ipods don't mind

no one is claiming KotCS is one of Williams best scores, but it's just so way above this Zimmer drivel it's not even worth arguing ,especially on a Williams message board.

My son was watching Batman Begins the other night and there were moments that just cried out for some sort of capable music to accompany the scenes. While HZ/JNH's music does serve it's purpose, I can only imagine what the film would have been like with the scoring duties in the hands of a far more talented composer.

Of course it's already been mentioned in other threads that JNH would be a good choice to handle the scoring duties himself.

Well,that's the sound that ruined film music. All Zimmer scores are "propulsive",that's all they are

I'm sure you new crop of film score fans that just need ambiance tracks on thier ipods don't mind

no one is claiming KotCS is one of Williams best scores, but it's just so way above this Zimmer drivel it's not even worth arguing ,especially on a Williams message board.

And you start straight in with the insults.

Look, dude, I'm not a part of any "new crop of film score fans." I was born in '74, I've been buying film scores since 1983. Not everybody who likes this score is representative of some newfangled youth revolution, or whatever the hell it is you seem to be afraid of. If you don't like it...? That's great! You don't like it, so what. Some of the rest of us do, and I'd suggest you get over it, because we're not going away.

And telling me what it's not worth my time to argue about...? I'm as big a Williams fan as it's possible for me to be. I suppose I'm limited to some extent by the fact that I don't have access to some of the bootlegs that are floating about, but you're not talking to some sort of infidel who's infiltrated your precious little board with some sort of devious anti-Williams purpose in mind. You're talking to a lifelong, diehard John Williams fan. And I'll argue whatever I damn well want to argue.