1. 1. Which film do you prefer?

• Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
    • The Dark Knight

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No.

I wasn't going opening weekend and this past weekend we went to Houston for a concert (Cheap Trick, Heart and Journey) so the wife and I are shooting for tomorrow night or this coming Sunday.

Yes but we're talking about the DVD.

I would also guess that Nolan took into consideration that the IMAX scenes would need to fit the regular film so he probably framed/filmed it so the difference wouldn't be so jarring.

Huh?!? Perhaps you're not understanding my point. This wasn't filmed (the 35mm print portion) with Super 35, so it wouldn't be as simple as opening up the frame as you suggested. And the DVD may have the IMAX switching ratios as well...who knows. Otherwise, only the Blu-ray might be affected, which would suck.

According to a recent interview with Christopher Nolan by iF Magazine, at least the Blu-Ray will switch aspect ratios when going from 35mm anamorphic to IMAX footage.

According to a recent interview with Christopher Nolan by iF Magazine, at least the Blu-Ray will switch aspect ratios when going from 35mm anamorphic to IMAX footage.

We know that. Read the last 2 pages.

During Indy IV I found myself thinking, "hmm, there's a big chase with lots of danger and damage going on, and yet I'm not in the least bit thrilled."

during The Dark Knight I found myself thinking ,"hmm,there's

lots of important characters dying and even coming back to life,

yet I don't care or feel any emotion"

You read my mind!

Blu ray is nicer but not at the cost. Not 300 bucks nicer for a new player and the cost to converting my film collection to blu ray.

I have a PS3, so that works well for me. I can see how it might be too expensive for those who do not play video games. I'm not going to re-purchase my whole collection, that would cost a few thousand dollars. I will replace some older titles though, mainly the ones that deserve it, such as Kubrick's films, as well as Spielberg.

So far the only Spielberg I have on Blu is CE3K, but I really hope more get released soon. The next ones will probably be Indy.

Although Dark Knight is by far the better movie, I prefer slightly the style of KotCS, also because it is Indy.

I really disliked Batman Begins (way too dark) and have no intention of seeing The Dark Knight, which is probably darker still. I did like Indy IV, which even though it's not perfect, does have a fair amount of things to like about it.

Have you seen Dark Knight already? It is ten times as dark as its predecessor.

Nope; haven't seen it. No time and no intention to.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I'll wait until it happens to come by on TV one day.

You're welcome. Not a bad idea, IMO.

I'm curious, for those of you who are anti-darkness in your movies:

Where is that line for you? What is it about, say, The Dark Knight that makes you say no? Or better asked, I suppose: what would have made you say yes?

I'm not criticinzing, by the way. Just curious.

Late comer to this stupid thread. Just watched TDK. There is no comparison.

Indiana Jones IV isn't fit to sniff Batman's sh*t.

I think that sums it up perfectly.

Oh please, what are you? A pastor? I ain't apologising for using a censored version of the S word. That's because I'm a grown man. There are far stronger expletives that that particular one within the English language and I use none of 'em here. Give it a rest.

A pastor? God forbid. Or Hell no.

Really, using 'i am a grown man' as an explanation to swearing, sounds odd, if not wrong.

Anyway, since this is not a +18 forum, kids may be arround. That's why the words were 'banned'.

It was not my intention to lecture you, I also swear from time to time, I was just pointing that its not neccesary to use that language to express your opinion.

I disagree. Me being me, it is necessary to use that brand of language to express my opinion. I'm also pretty articulate too, so how do you explain that one? Easy: don't bother. Using "I'm a grown man" wasn't an explanation, it was a statement of how much I couldn't care less about such pettiness. I don't swear to sound cool, I swear for effect and because of personal habit. Plus, it isn't against the forum rules to use uncouth language, if it is censored, as I always do.

But this is all unimportant nonsense, so I'll note that you prefer not to see that stuff and I'll try to use sweeter sounding forms of vocal expression, when I know you're around :D

Dont do it for me, i can deal with my own s*it :P

And well dont sweet yourself, it would spoil the fun :D

BTW, rule one talks about Offensive language, sepparating it from Personal attack.

• 5 weeks later...
You're just annoyed someone prefers The Dark Knight over Indy IV.

I do have a question, and this is only a question; don't get me wrong.

If this forum decided to censor some words, why is it not in any way enforced when people get around the censorship? Is it because you are trying to protect those who do not know the words already, but don't worry about inundating those who do?

Again, just a question.

That's a good question. I've heard that forums sometimes censor profanity to avoid being picked up by "net nannies" and being blocked by parental filters. However, it seems like the swear filter here was installed simply to discourage profane language altogether. But it's still used, so what's the point? Is there any difference between "ass" and "as$"? I don't think so.

I dont know what you mean, but it makes perfect sense.

Which do you prefer, Star Wars or Schindler's List?

I would vote Star Wars

Which do you think is the Better movie, Star Wars or Schindler's List?

I would vote Schindler's List

Clear enough?

WOW Luke..you've lost it.

Please, explain to me what is wrong in my statement

I'd always pick my favorite as the better film. Entertainment is the prime reason for watching a movie. Haven'tseen Dark Knight, as Batman Begins was so abysmal.

"The Dark Knight" is a vastly better film, but I use the words "vastly better" relative to "Batman Begins" (a film with appeal that I have never understood). Ultimately, "The Dark Knight" was enjoyable, yet I prefer "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull". I shall now wait to be bombarded with reasons as to why my opinions are wrong.

Indy IV was just disappointing on so many levels. This easily goes to Dark Knight for me.

I actually thought I was alone in at least partially disliking Indy 4 - I sure had to read a long way down to find this. I havent seen TDK yet though, but I can only imagine it being the better film since Indy wasn't very good... Certainly Indy is still a trilogy series for me. The 4th movie will never get the classic status like the other three.

• 2 weeks later...

Crystal Skull was better. Dark Knight had a phony thesis that didn't make any sense. It had some good action, but nothing as good as the Warehouse/Rocket Sled/Doomtown sequence from Crystal Skull. It was implausible, just like KOTCS, but it tried so hard to be plausible that it spoiled the fun. I would like to see a serious and dark Batman film, but this was just "CSI Gotham" and "24" with a guy in a Bat mask once in a while.

I personally loved both films, but when I think into the future KOTCS is going to have spins in my DVD player than TDK. Indy is just more enjoyable overall and lends itself well to many rewatchings over the years, whereas TDK will just begin to feel long and boring after a while - for me at least. So my vote goes to Indy, not because I think it is a better film, but because I think that over time it will continue to be fun, and Batman...not so much.

As a fan of the Batman comics and even short stories, I feel that these new movies are really only Batman movies in name. Throughout it's run, Batman has been reinterpreted many different ways, and some interpretations have come close to Nolan's reworking, but I think these movies just miss out on the fantastical element of Batman that pervades the comics and stories. I feel this new line of Batman movies is a cynical attempt to appeal to the Sopranos viewership and make the most possible amount of money, while betraying what made Batman so great in the first place. This movie could have been about any masked vigilante and a group of gangsters. And if it was, it would not be nearly so applauded. The people who don't like comic book movies and love this movie are giving it handicap points for being good IN SPITE OF being a comic book movie. Casual fans give it more points than if it was a nameless vigilante vs the mob because it is way cooler when it is Batman vs the Joker. But this series rides looong coattails and offers nothing as timeless as the best of what came before. Batman would never be a cultural phenomenon if he'd been introduced to us by Nolan.