Man Of Steel (2013 Superman reboot directed by Zack Snyder)

Luke Skywalker

Did not know Zod would be the villain until today. But... Really?? Zod again? Do we have to? If I want to see Zod, I'll watch Superman II. Strange that Superman Returns was a partial remake of Superman the Movie with Luthor, and now this film is remaking SII with Zod. Does that mean the next one will feature a reboot of the Gus Gorman character and evil Superman from SIII? (Amy Adams will be too old and wrinkly in the next one too, and she'll be written out for a more youthful Lana Lang, ala Margot Kidder in SIII.)

Seriously, Hollywood is out of ideas. They could go anywhere with this, and instead play it safe, safe, safe.

Bah.

Did not know Zod would be the villain until today. But... Really?? Zod again? Do we have to? If I want to see Zod, I'll watch Superman II. Strange that Superman Returns was a partial remake of Superman the Movie with Luthor, and now this film is remaking SII with Zod. Does that mean the next one will feature a reboot of the Gus Gorman character and evil Superman from SIII? (Amy Adams will be too old and wrinkly in the next one too, and she'll be written out for a more youthful Lana Lang, ala Margot Kidder in SIII.)

Seriously, Hollywood is out of ideas. They could go anywhere with this, and instead play it safe, safe, safe.

Bah.

This is something I'm constantly hearing. Remake? Out of ideas! Reboot? Out of ideas! Same characters? Out of ideas!

Movies cost money, just like anything. Producers and studios like it when there are established fan bases and at least some type of guarantee to see a return on their money. Sometimes it falls flat, sometimes it scores big. They aren't out of ideas, they just like money.

Bryan Singer is just a bad filmmaker. Superman was Jesus, the X-Men were homosexuals, leave the comic book genre alone and make something like The Usual Suspects again.

Hyperbole, thy name is Koray. How are these really proof that Singer is a bad filmmaker? Returns is his only real misstep, the first X-Men film is ok but not bad unless you are allergic to superhero movies, the second is one of the best action films of the 2000s.

Besides, the idea of the X-Men as allegory was in the comics long before Hollywood got involved, the same as Superman = jesus. This is the whole point of X-Men, that it's not just about superheroes having fights, it's about prejudice and has been since Stan Lee and Jack Kirby conceived the title. With your high-falutin' taste, I would have thought you would have appreciated that.

Watch the original Donner Superman again, and it's that movie which establishes the correlation between Kal El and Jesus. One only needs to listen to Jor El's postmortem commands to his son which lead to his internal conflict about his mission and purpose here on Earth.

That being said, not everybody wants their red caped superhero mixed up with their Sunday school and immortal soul superhero.

But then that's the whole point with many of the DC heroes (and what some say is their weakness), that they are modelled after - or an attempt to create anew - gods, as opposed to Marvel who generally have more down to earth and potentially relatable characters. DC's most iconic character is Superman, a godlike alien being whose main worry is how he can help everyone, whereas Marvel's is Spider-Man, a teenager cursed with super powers and the responsibility thereof. The reason Batman is the most popular is because he's the one character that really bridges both worlds, with the dynamic mystery, power and and mythical underpinnings of Superman together with the life-juggling allegory of power and who should wield it and why of Spidey.

And also, because of the car. Chicks dig the car.

Bryan Singer is just a bad filmmaker. Superman was Jesus, the X-Men were homosexuals, leave the comic book genre alone and make something like The Usual Suspects again.

Hyperbole, thy name is Koray. How are these really proof that Singer is a bad filmmaker? Returns is his only real misstep, the first X-Men film is ok but not bad unless you are allergic to superhero movies, the second is one of the best action films of the 2000s.

I find both of his X-Men films to be very dull. He's not necessarily bad, but quite average. When I watch his films, nothing makes me go "Wow, that was great!" or anything. Even The Usual Suspects has more to do with Christopher McQuarrie's script rather than Singer's direction. I also didn't particularly like Valkyrie.

I even find The Usual Suspects to be very overrated. Don't get me wrong - it's a good movie, but I wasn't blown away or anything. Not been a fan of X-Men since the Saturday morning cartoon which was great. Superman Returns didn't rape my childhood, I quite like it.

Honestly though, I'll take Apt Pupil over any of those.

Singer's a good director, but his films lack any sense of fun. A serious X-Men movie should still find time to be fun.

I quite like Superman Returns, too. As does my wife, which for some reason still perplexes me. I was sure she'd find it dull and boring. But we've caught it on TV a few times in the last couple of months and she's fine with sitting and watching it, even mentioning a couple of times how much she thinks it's really good. She likes how it ties in to the Chris Reeve films, even though she thinks those are a bit corny. And she really likes Brandon Routh as Superman, and not just because she thinks he's "eye candy".

I think it does lose its way somewhat in the third act, but on the whole, it's a really well-made film, a loving homage to the original Donner film (Superman II not quite so much). And maybe it's too much of an homage to the Donner film, for a movie that was trying to catch a general (non-geek-fanboy) audience. But I still enjoy the heck out of it.

Still wish they'd gotten a different Lois Lane, though. Ugh.

The new film looks promising, though, so I hope things work out and everything comes together and it's a dynamite, fantastic, amazing movie. The new Superman seems OK, don't really know him. Lois Lane, *much* better choice than Kate Bosworth. Ma and Pa Kent... not a fan of Costner but yes to yummy Diane Lane! Zod... really don't know that actor either. Unknowns can be good and very surprising, so fingers crossed!

I think X-Men was commendable for attempting to put thought and character over action, but I think X2 is one of the best superhero movies - and action movies - of the 00s.

Returns... well, it was ok, but certainly too much of a homage and didn't have the best of scripts, but I'll take it over III and IV.

III wasn't that bad, I didn't like the way they pushed Margo Kidder to the side nor the casting of Richard Pryor. But there's a good foundation, especially Superman's battle within.

Superman IV.... well the music is very good. It's a shame what happened because it probably had a chance to be a good film had it not went thru all those problems before they even began filming.

I haven't seen the original yet (and before things get thrown in my direction, I'll point out that a rented blu-ray is sitting in my player right now) but I very much enjoyed Superman Returns. Wasn't a great movie by any means, but I felt I had used those who hours in a worthwhile way.

And of course, I love Ottman's score.

Superman Returns is not as bad as some of you make it out to be (even the score).

Hell my parents who've seen the original movies in theaters, when we went and saw Superman Returns after it was released they even like the film, and still do even I do. As Rich said it's not a great movie by any means but it's still fun to watch.

My summary problem with it is that it simply sits on the fence too much about what it wants to be. It tries very hard to be a follow-up to the Donner films, but doesn't fully embrace that, with things like the digital cinematography and the restraint of the score (changing the chords so the love theme isn't as "corny," never belting out the A theme in the film proper--or even at the end of the film, where it belongs!). For me, the things they got right end up clashing with the places where they shied away from going all out with it.

Also, another Supes vs. Luthor and disasters film?

Was Luthor always a land grabber in the comics? In I, he wants to nuke the California coast to create his own new coastal real estate empire. In II, he strikes a deal with Zod in exchange for some land. And in SR, he wants to create his own new continent for the real estate it would provide. And in each case, Superman stops him.

Is that the extent of the man's imagination?

No. He's got quite an array of crimes he wants to commit against humanity.

But audiences would get bored if every Superman film featured Luthor as the villain.

Then color me bored. Out of the five Reeve & Routh Superman movies, three featured Luthor as the primary villain, I, IV (by creating Nuclear Man), and SR, and one more, II, used him as merely an accessory to the main villain, Zod. And since Zod is recycled as the villain for Superman Rebooted, I'm really bored.

I say they just go all out and add the Legion of Doom.

I can understand Luthor being in II, since it was a direct sequel to the first film. SR is supposed to be a direct sequel to those 2 films so I guess it makes sense.

But there are so many villains and story lines in the DC universe.

What would you like? Bizzaro? Metallo? Brainiac? Is there any other villain?

Karol

Darkseid. Bizarro would be pretty cool, although probably not much different to Zod in the end.

Or Batman.

As for Christopher Nolan (Inception) collaborating with Snyder on Superman: Man of Steel, Des Jardin remarks, “Let’s just say that my point of view is I think that’s a really good marriage. The two of them being responsible for that project, I think it’s really cool and from the fanboy side of me I’m excited about it.”

Interview John 'DJ' Des Jardin

Alex

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The only reason I could think of Nolan to stay out is that Superman is not rooted as much in the "real world" as Batman is. Nolan's two Batman movies have a certain element of plausibility to them. Other than Dr. Crane's psycho drug, Ghul's immortality, Two-Face's ability to function with his face burned open like that, and the unofficial sanction caused by inaction of the police department and international community which allows a masked vigilante to operate freely using military-grade weapons, vehicles, and tactics, Batman is real world stuff.

Superman is not. He's an alien who fights a bald conglomerate, and other aliens like himself

I'd want to see a period piece, Superman in the '30s or '40s. I don't see Superman working in the post-9/11 world. Leave that timeframe to Iron Man and the Marvel folks.

I can't believe it! Someone else who would like to see a period piece Superman film! :) The idea of seeing the Man of Steel active during the time he was created thrills me. Not only could the movie be a beautiful and nostalgic trip, but Superman himself would seem even more incredible and overwhelming in a time where technology was not nearly so advanced, and where the kind of REAL patriotism that Superman represents would be perfectly at home.