Man Of Steel (2013 Superman reboot directed by Zack Snyder)

Luke Skywalker

He's very capable

Of what?

Da Vinci Code is way better than the overrated Chariots of Fire

The main theme Of Chariots Of Fire is one of the most recognizable and known themes in the whole world. It's a part of pop culture. That's no small accomplishment. Expect to hear it a lot this summer during the Olympic Games.

He's very capable

Of what?

Of writing great music.

Da Vinci Code is way better than the overrated Chariots of Fire

The main theme Of Chariots Of Fire is one of the most recognizable and known themes in the whole world. It's a part of pop culture. That's no small accomplishment.

Uhmm...mainstream popularity doesn't have to dictate quality. Heck, one could argue that the foghorn blasts of Inception are incredibly recognizable and has been well-integrated into pop culture, does that mean its some brilliant score?

The main theme for Chariots of Fire is catchy and memorable, but the score as a whole is incredibly overrated and did not in the least deserve its Oscar (and over Raiders too!!!).

I never listened to Chariots of Fire other than the theme.

I like Zimmer in his sort of Vangelis styled mode sometimes. I love The Thin Red Line, for example. I'm even of the few here that actually likes Inception. What I like the least about Zimmer is that pseudorchestral flat sound that he sometimes uses and that annoys me.

But I'm probably a bit more of a Vangelis fan, for gorgeous stuff like this:

(This is the only released track from his Cosmos: the Special Edition score.)

L'Apocalypse des Animaux, which apparently has a lot of unreleased stuff I haven't been able to check out.)

[media=]

(Heaven and Hell)

And of course there his more hardcore stuff. And there are things that I don't like as well. I remember I disliked most of Albedo 0.39. I felt it was kind of random and there were just a few bits worth listening.

But there's something in the way that Vangelis embraces and uses synthy soundscapes or voices that it just kills me.

I just can't get into Vangelis' dated synth sound. Sometimes I really try to like his most beloved scores, like Blade Runner, but I can't do it. It just doesn't appeal to me. Alexander and Conquest 1492 got the closest to pleasing me. But I really can't stand his over-optimistic simplistic melodies backed up by his terribly dated synth sounds. I don't know how so many people continue to live it.

I'll say your 2nd track was tolerable though ;)

Ah, Blade Runner! I barely ever heard it out of the film. It was amazing there though.

You know Zimmer sounds dated to me many times. Like... from the 90's. I think the stuff that was there before me doesn't make me feel that way.

Of writing great music.

Do you mean he writes great film music, making the films for which he writes music richer or better? Or does he write artistically great music that can stand on its own like the music of Stravinsky or Prokofiev? Personally, I can't say if he belongs in either catagory. My perception of Zimmer is that he hardly adds something of him personal to the whole. It's like he doesn't have his own viewpoint, only a certain sound (orchestral without being symphonic or romantic). The music is there ... but that's all. It doesn't do anything. There's very little expression. It's almost neutral ... interchangeable.

Of writing great music.

Do you mean he writes great film music, making the films for which he writes music richer or better? Or does he write artistically great music that can stand on its own like the music of Stravinsky or Prokofiev? Personally, I can't say if he belongs in either catagory. My perception of Zimmer is that he hardly adds something of him personal to the whole. It's like he doesn't have his own viewpoint, only a certain sound. The music is there ... but that's all. It doesn't do anything. There's very little expression. It's almost neutral ... interchangeable.

Those last statements are truly baffling and really make me wonder exactly how much of Zimmer you're listening to. Yes, what you said applies to modern Zimmer scores. But scores like The Power of One, A League of Their Own, Beyond Rangoon, The House of Spirits all very clearly personify his personal voice and interpretation of those films. He's done many scores in his career that are far more than "neutral" or interchangeable. It sounds a lot like you've only listened to his power anthems.

i admit, I haven't seen those movies. Are they generally considered to have great classic scores? Did Zimmer's music do to these movies what the music of Williams did to Jaws, Superman or Star Wars or what the music of Vangelis did for Chariots Of Fire, 1492 (the music was more famous than the friggin movie!) or Blade Runner? I mean, where would those movies be without their iconic scores? These scores have a live on their own. Beyond Rangoon? What is that? I never even heard of the it. A league of Their Own? Isn't that a generic, ten a penny, Hollywood film with a comparable score? How do these scores separate themselves from the crowd?

What Zimmer did and continues to do is push film music forward. Zimmer is responsible for creating a new sound, one that embraces (a sophisticated) emotional immediacy and technological innovation. Williams's music is all about nostalgia, intrinsically wedded to a past that is increasingly irrelevant in modern cinema.

Now then, Dmitri, you know how we've always talked about something going wrong with today's film scores... Well now, what happened is... ahm... one of these producers, he had a sort of... well, he went a little funny in the head... you know... just a little... funny. And, ah... he went and did a silly thing... Well, I'll tell you what he did. He ordered Hans Zimmer... to score Superman.

Why bother? Most of you would carp and moan at the final result regardless of its composer. No musician will be able to conjure the evanescent strains of your own nostalgia.

There is NO WAY Zimmer will write as good a theme as Williams. Nothing in his entire career could come close to that theme.

But even besides that, he will probably write a themeless score with relentless electronic pounding and progressions. Zimmer even when he writes themes these days writes shit themes. They probably picked the worst composer for this.

What an excellent follow-up, from Williams melodic classicity to ridiculous pounding. They could have atleast picked Powell. Zimmer sounds like a horrible idea. Elfman wrote an excellent theme for Batman and Zimmer wrote nonsense.

There is NO WAY Zimmer will write as good a theme as Williams. Nothing in his entire career could come close to that theme.

Hopefully, he won't be even trying. That's the only way. I hope he comes up with something interesting and that doesn't have to mean big neo-romantic orchestra.

Karol

I'm melancholic and as far as I'm concerned the conventional approach can just disappear for this occasion.

If it follows a more conventional approach it might just fail when compared to JW's.

Who says Williams' theme won't be used? They are already taking too much risk with the suits as it is and they know it. They don't want to scare to big audience with onorthodox scoring.

if Zimmer can deliver a score in the same quality orchestral vein and usage of other people's theme like The simspons movie then the score may be decent.

I mean, usee the march and love theme and come with new themes that match more with those than with the regular RC sound.

Who says Williams' theme won't be used? They are already taking too much risk with the suits as it is and they know it. They don't want to scare to big audience with onorthodox scoring.

A big hummable theme would qualify as unorthodox!

Superman will get a soundscape, not a theme

I thought this had been confirmed some time ago, but maybe it was just one of those more reliable rumours.

Cynical opinion: Zimmer has no chance against the might of JWFan. Doesn't matter how effective the score may turn out to be; it wasn't written by John Williams.

Real opinion: I think Zimmer demonstrated with AWE and The Simpsons that he can write action sequences with melody. We're getting his 'pounding' for TDKR because that's what Nolan wants for his film.

Snyder went to David Hirschfelder for Legend of the Guardians (whoever wrote that variety article didn't do their homework) and we got a proper, thematic, orchestral score. Unless he decides he wants a themeless Superman like Nolan, we could get good stuff here.

A big hummable theme would qualify as unorthodox! Superman will get a soundscape, not a theme

The traditional Superman crowd would disagree with that.

BTW, "soundscapes" is what Eduard Artemyev did in Tarkovsky's Solyaris. Like i said, this is a very expensive film, Nolan will take no such risks. My educated guess would be fast rhythmic strings staccatos - ostinatos a la TDK (but faster) and on top of that allusions to Williams' famous heroic theme. That way everyone will be satisfied.

Alex

That way nobody will be satisfied. Only the ones who like that RCP stuff.

That also happens to be exactly what I don't want. I want either a glorious orchestral score or something weird, original and cool. Or preexisting music, Kubrick style. But I guess I can't get any of those options nowadays.

But I guess I can't get any of those options nowadays.

Why not?

That way nobody will be satisfied.

Why not? The new crowd hears what it wants (strings staccatos - ostinato) and the traditional Superman crowd will feel respected and not forgotten (because the film did not forget). How can you Chaac this?

But I guess I can't get any of those options nowadays.

Why not?

For a big film like this. You just said it yourself. They think it's a risk. People are loving The Amazing Spider-Man because such an approach is almost fresh.

That way nobody will be satisfied.

Why not? The new crowd hears what it wants and the traditional Superman crowd will feel respected and not forgotten.

It would be better for Zimmer not to touch Williams' ideas. He said it himself.

A Batmanization of JW's Superman... no. Just no. I am not made happy by just listening a nod to JW. I am made happy by listening to awesomeness. It doen't necesarily need to butcher JW. I hope that awesomeness might just happen by some sort of miracle.

Zimmer couldn't write a big grand unforgettable theme even if his life depeneded on it. Soundscape is exactly what we will get.

I think soundscape is how lesser composers chicken out of writing themes. They say they are writing soundscapes because that is the only thing they are capable of writing. I wonder if it even takes much effort to "write" such "music". Nothing is synched to the screen, its just general ambience composed and applied to a movie. Highlighting inidividual moments is too much effort for today's composers and they couldn't be bothered it seems.

For a big film like this. You just said it yourself. They think it's a risk.

Exactly! So what's the alternative? That's right, the sound that doesn't scare the people away! The sound that every movie of this magnitude has and that has Nolan as a producer.

Of course, Snyder will have his way too and so a pop song will be heard here and there. For instance, when Supes lands down a plane in trouble, we'll probably hear John Denver's I'm Leaving On A Jet Plane.

Of course, Snyder will have his way too and so a pop song will be heard here and there. For instance, when Supes lands down a plane in trouble, we'll probably hear John Denver's I'm Leaving On A Jet Plane.

I was putting Watchmen as an example before because I love what he did there, taking music of his choice and music referenced in the book and using it as score. It was great. I've read some people criticizing the use of music in that film. I don't understand them.

Superman already had a film franchise with great thematic scoring. If they want to take the franchise away from that, well, we'll always have Paris.

I don't hate Zimmer really but I just can't imagine a worse fit for this film. Then again, as someone pointed out, I am definitely as worried, if not moreso about Snyder.

I have loved the character of Superman for as long as I can remember. I also grew up loving Batman and I think Nolan's Batman films are great. I just hope he is able to understand the essence of Superman and capture that as he did for Batman. I really hope Superman has NOTHING in common stylistically or in approach to his Batman films. I can't imagine a worse, more wrong angle than that of a brooding, introspective Superman that spends half the film examining his inner man and wondering why Daddy sent him off into space.

I want Superman to fly around, be heroic and save the world. I want him to do it because he can and because if someone has that kind of power, it is the right thing to do. I want him to be better than the average person in character.

Unfortunately, I doubt we will get that because people seem to want to be able to relate to characters now and want them to struggle. Well, I don't want Superman to be like me - I want him to be better. I want him to be borderline naive and just do the right thing because it is the right thing.

I would have killed for this to be like a 1940's or 50's period piece where it could take that notion of heroism and boundless optimism and run with it.

Oh well...

I love this character and I will be there opening night. I really hope I am pleasantly surprised by what I find.

Zimmer himself implied he wouldnt use it. In the first runour of his hiring, he was all like "reriting Williams theme is like rewriting Beethoven's ninth"

I don't hate Zimmer really but I just can't imagine a worse fit for this film. Then again, as someone pointed out, I am definitely as worried, if not moreso about Snyder.

I have loved the character of Superman for as long as I can remember. I also grew up loving Batman and I think Nolan's Batman films are great. I just hope he is able to understand the essence of Superman and capture that as he did for Batman. I really hope Superman has NOTHING in common stylistically or in approach to his Batman films. I can't imagine a worse, more wrong angle than that of a brooding, introspective Superman that spends half the film examining his inner man and wondering why Daddy sent him off into space.

I want Superman to fly around, be heroic and save the world. I want him to do it because he can and because if someone has that kind of power, it is the right thing to do. I want him to be better than the average person in character.

Unfortunately, I doubt we will get that because people seem to want to be able to relate to characters now and want them to struggle. Well, I don't want Superman to be like me - I want him to be better. I want him to be borderline naive and just do the right thing because it is the right thing.

I would have killed for this to be like a 1940's or 50's period piece where it could take that notion of heroism and boundless optimism and run with it.

Oh well...

I love this character and I will be there opening night. I really hope I am pleasantly surprised by what I find.

MUST. RESIST. GOING. TO. CINEMA. WATCHING. MAN. OF. STEEL

It's almost painfully funny how much being a nerd is like being a heroin addict.

Wouldn't it be funny if the whole Superman score was entirely based on that rhythm from Williams' march? Enhanced by some appropriate RC goodness, of course.

Karol

Wouldn't it be funny if the whole Superman score was entirely based on that rhythm from Williams' march? Enhanced by some appropriate RC goodness, of course.

Karol

Maybe with some chanting accompaniment with a virtual choir we can all contribute to? ;)

MUST. RESIST. GOING. TO. CINEMA. WATCHING. MAN. OF. STEEL

It's almost painfully funny how much being a nerd is like being a heroin addict.

Who knows? Maybe in this version, Supes will be a drug addict. I hope he will be, actually. It needs to be dark. It needs to be gritty.

Zimmer himself implied he wouldnt use it. In the first runour of his hiring, he was all like "reriting [sic] Williams theme is like rewriting Beethoven's ninth"

But how do you "rewrite" someone else's work? What does that even mean? Zimmer is going to rewrite the melodies of that Symphony, and pass it off as Beethoven's original? That's not even possible because even unborn babies know Beethoven's Ninth (or is it Mozart...)

Zimmer is certainly able to adapt Beethoven's music to create a fantasy on an existing work. The Trans-Siberian Orchestra did it for their Christmas albums and for Beethoven's Last Night. Michael Kamen did it to great effect in Die Hard.

If this new movie is meant to reboot the Superman franchise, then Williams' music has no place in it.

How about that: Zimmer is the first composer in history to have scored two of DC Comics most iconic superheroes in their respective major theatrical films.

Which proves why I think Zimmer's overrated. He didn't do that good of a job on the recent Batman scores, imo. There's plenty of other more capable composers like Don Davis ,for example, who could've hit this out of the park. Oh well I had little hope in this film when Snyder got hired anyway.