Pirates Of The Caribbean 4: On Stranger Tides

Koray Savas

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I look forward to Spidey and Superman for their scores. At least with Spidey being a reboot they'll probably do new themes, so Elfman won't block a release (grrrrrr).

I do not anticipate musical greatness from Nolan, for a third time.

• 2 weeks later...

Walt Disney Pictures just released a press release stating that Hans Zimmer will team with Mexican guitar duo Rodrigo y Gabriela for the fourth Pirates of the Caribbean score: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=74612

I'm not that big on the Pirates series, but this could be fun. And for those who aren't familiar with Rodrigo y Gabriela:

Why not team Zimmer with Gustavo Santaolla if you want a guitar based score?

I doubt the score will be guitar-based. It will probably be more guitar-infused (think of how Zimmer used Johnny Marr in Inception). Maybe one of the characters will have a guitar-based theme that plays counterpoint to the established music of the series.

I posted about this in my blog, and I think it's a very cool piece of news, bringing some excitement and originality to a series that needs it.

At least he's a film composer, and a double Oscar winner.

The worthiness of one of those Oscars is in doubt with most film score fans.

Actually both of them are in doubt.

I would have accepted Brokeback Mountain had it just been his only Oscar win ever. Considering the weak field of nominees (except for Memoirs of a Geisha, which isn`t really that much better), I`m not terribly enraged by Brokeback Mountain`s win. The complete promo of that score isn`t that bad to listen to 30 minutes of minimalist western guitar music.

I forgot to post the Rodrigo y Gabriela news. I remember when their first album initially came out, my brother said, "These guys need to team up with John Powell." Lo and behold they finally did with Knight And Day, and now Hans is using them. Superb guitarists. I assume they'll be representing Penelope Cruz's character in the film.

I would have accepted Brokeback Mountain had it just been his only Oscar win ever. Considering the weak field of nominees (except for Memoirs of a Geisha, which isn`t really that much better)

For the non-english natives, does that mean what i think it means?

OMFG.

On topic, the quiestios is...why hire mexican players if you want spanish guitars! :P

I would have accepted Brokeback Mountain had it just been his only Oscar win ever. Considering the weak field of nominees (except for Memoirs of a Geisha, which isn`t really that much better)

I meant that the other scores besides Brokeback Mountain and Memoirs of a Geisha were not that good, and Memoirs of a Geisha was not that much better in score quality than Brokeback Mountain.

...........and Memoirs of a Geisha was not that much better in score quality than Brokeback Mountain.

What?? :eh: .........yeah, perhaps if you're a pinball player called Tommy!

And MoaG was better than Munich! :P

Why not team Zimmer with Gustavo Santaolla if you want a guitar based score?

I doubt the score will be guitar-based. It will probably be more guitar-infused (think of how Zimmer used Johnny Marr in Inception). Maybe one of the characters will have a guitar-based theme that plays counterpoint to the established music of the series.

Hans Zimmer and counterpoint? Surely you jest?

I meant that the other scores besides Brokeback Mountain and Memoirs of a Geisha were not that good, and Memoirs of a Geisha was not that much better in score quality than Brokeback Mountain.

Brokeback Mountain isn't music, it's wallpaper.

Santaolalla couldn't produce a piece like "A Dream Discarded" if he reincarnated as a cello.

And MoaG was better than Munich! :P

Brokeback Mountain isn't music, it's wallpaper.

Santaolalla couldn't produce a piece like "A Dream Discarded" if he reincarnated as a cello.

It's official. I love this post.

When I think about Santaolalla's music, he seems really confined to a small amount of possible tones. I really doubt he could produce an action piece or really anything other than that mild sadness that hangs in all his music. He's really limited...

• 3 weeks later...

Zombies? But no vampires or werewolfs?

They're keeping that for Pirates 5 & 6. ;)

And then the Klingons, in Pirates 12: So Very Tired...

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps I missed it a long the way, but any clue as to why Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley are not in this film? Is it because of scheduling conflicts, they just opt not to do another Pirates Of The Caribbean film or what?

Very true. And considering what a disaster the last two films were in a lot of ways (IMO), I welcome any attempt to turn over a new leaf with this franchise. (Which is sad, because I thought the Will/Elizabeth thing was great in the first film.) That's not to say I'm exactly hopeful when it comes to On Stranger Tides, but I'm less pessimistic than I would have been if they were continuing with an extension of the same storyline.

This one actually been filmed in 3D?

They did. They used the Red One.

And honestly, the transition from film to digital is flawless with this film. Look-wise, it's very consistent with the last three films. (But that's partly due to Dariusz Wolski coming back.)