Upcoming Films

Quintus

On 25/4/2023 at 11:16 PM, Jay said:

Beetlejuice 2 Is Officially in Development at Warner Bros.

A sizzle reel of logos briefly showed off the film at the Warner Bros. Discovery showcase at CinemaCon 2023.

Here’s some teaser posters with horrible logo art.

Beetle2juice?

546546D9-DA96-4B4C-A8E5-837174FDC380.webp

First Image of Natalie Portman and Julianne Moore in 'May December' directed by Todd Haynes

f455h36ut8xa1.jpg

Variety has a first look at the anticipated Cannes Film Festival competition premiere “May December,” led by Oscar-winning heavyweights Julianne Moore and Natalie Portman and directed by Todd Haynes.

The title, which is also for sale out of this year’s Marché du Film, represents a “Far From Heaven” reunion for Moore and Haynes and a significant breakout opportunity for “Riverdale” heartthrob Charles Melton.

Moore and Melton star as married couple whose 20-year relationship inspired a national tabloid obsession at its offset. Now preparing to send their grown children off to college – as Melton reconciles with empty nest syndrome in his mid-30s – an actress (Portman) embeds with the family to study them for an upcoming film where she’ll play Moore. The couple buckles under the pressure as Portman probes as deeply as she can for an honest performance.

A Carl Sagan biopic is reportedly in the works:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/andrew-garfield-daisy-edgar-jones-carl-sagan-biopic-1235480498/

From the description it sounds like it could end up anywhere on a gradient between profoundly moving (as would befit Sagan) or utter kitsch. It will be interesting to see how Garfield does Sagan (a young Hugo Weaving would probably have been the best casting choice).

Oppenheimer intrigues me. Sakharov intrigues me more. An Oppenheimer film about Trinity is wonderful for a bomb nut like me. But a Sakharov film about Tsar Bomba is better.

Ironic both men despise their creations

On 1/5/2023 at 11:25 PM, Bayesian said:

Yeesh. Talk about giving us something no one asked for.

If Zoolander 2 and Anchorman 2 are anything to go by, this will be awful. Just a rehash of the first film’s jokes.

On 28/4/2023 at 8:02 PM, Edmilson said:

:love2:

I’m of the mindset to just leave it be. 

I'm not proud of the fact that I enjoyed the first one. But I did.

Didn't they do the T-Rex on the shore bit in the first one?

17 hours ago, Jay said:

Still wondering if Michael Giacchino is really scoring this or not

Looks interesting. Well photographed anyway. Getting a distinct District 9 vibe.

Still, has there been a single more used trope in sci-fi than the “machines turning on their creators” one? Given that we’re likely to see dozens more films & series along these lines in the coming years thanks to the current AI panic, it’s going to be a struggle to find new ways to tell the same story. Perhaps ChatGPT can help with that. 

In any event, nice to see Gareth Edwards has landed another high profile gig after the Rogue One debacle.

8 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Still, has there been a single more used trope in sci-fi than the “machines turning on their creators” one? Given that we’re likely to see dozens more films & series along these lines in the coming years thanks to the current AI panic, it’s going to be a struggle to find new ways to tell the same story. Perhaps ChatGPT can help with that.

well, "humans turn on their servants with the fake AI" would be the realistic take to put to film

some of them dream of a world without workers, or customers. only "pure value" gets exchanged. perhaps that's why they like the fake AI so much. you could make a movie out of the idea. would be disturbing.

23 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Yeah, almost a decade after the game reached his peak on YouTube, just like Slenderman. It'll probably flop.

Nic Cage did a knockoff version a few years ago called Willy's Wonderland that was pretty enjoyable. Didn't do very well but I imagine the FNAF brand will at least bring in a decent crowd, though a simultaneous Peacock release will limit it's box office potential.

1 hour ago, Goldfinger said:

Nic Cage did a knockoff version a few years ago called Willy's Wonderland that was pretty enjoyable. Didn't do very well but I imagine the FNAF brand will at least bring in a decent crowd, though a simultaneous Peacock release will limit it's box office potential.

From what I understand, the script for that Nic Cage movie started as a FNAF script, and they just changed the names and filmed it as an independent thing when the licensing didn't work out