Upcoming Films

Quintus

I meant that, living where I do, one has to get used to being - to quote Ming The Merciless - "satisfied with less".

Personally, I don't mind it.

There are no cinemas, no Starbucks, no Maccy D's or Burger King, no "fuck off" ASDA supermarkets, no nightclubs, no M&S, and no shopping malls.

There are restaurants, but only two dedicated public houses. There is a traveling cinema, which reaches where I live once every four months.

What there is, is peace and quiet, virtually empty roads, and beaches that are classified as among the very best in the world.

It's a much more different life than what I was used to, but I wouldn't want to change it, for anything.

Oppenheimer was great. Flawed but great. Barbie is about to start. Hard to believe it is doing close to Avatar type numbers.

Seeing Oppenheimer tomorrow night. So psyched.

Hopefully he won't solve the secret of nuclear fission with the power of time traveling love.

22 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I meant that, living where I do, one has to get used to being - to quote Ming The Merciless - "satisfied with less".

Personally, I don't mind it.

There are no cinemas, no Starbucks, no Maccy D's or Burger King, no "fuck off" ASDA supermarkets, no nightclubs, no M&S, and no shopping malls.

There are restaurants, but only two dedicated public houses. There is a traveling cinema, which reaches where I live once every four months.

What there is, is peace and quiet, virtually empty roads, and beaches that are classified as among the very best in the world.

It's a much more different life than what I was used to, but I wouldn't want to change it, for anything.

Parts of that definitely sound very nice. I bet the pubs are proper community hubs, and that the fish dishes in the restaurants couldn't be fresher.

Right, on both counts.

The fish is the best that I have ever  tasted.

The pubs have quizzes, and ceilidhs, and all manner of other events. My pub of choice is a twenty minute car ride away, so I don't get as much as I would want to, but it's still nice to have a pint (of Coke, as I am teatotal), and sit, and to talk with like- minded people.

Gaelic? Of course! *

It's spoken by my friends, in stores, and where I work. It's all over the place.

I'm attempting to learn. Once you get used to the fact that there are some combination of letters which are ignored, it gets easier.

* pronounced "gal-ick", and not "gay-lick" :)

Has anyone seen the trailer for The Exorcist: Believer that's playing exclusively before Oppenheimer showings (so dumb this is a thing) ?

I managed to see a leak of it and apparently it references the banned original Exorcist trailer.

Also, Ellen Burstyn is back in it, as it's the official sequel to the original.  It seems like they go to her to ask questions but she was so incredibly helpless in the original that I can't help to think this is just another ploy to bring back original characters for no other reason than marketing.

The original is one of my favorite movies of all time. I hope this is good.

They showed the trailer at the showing I went to, and the audience erupted into laughter when it was over. It looks ridiculous!

We saw that trailer with Oppenheimer. There was a noticeable reaction when the audience heard Tubular Bells. the when the title "The Exorcist" came up a lot of the audience laughed.

Probably not the reaction the film makers were going for?

I remember people laughed during the Hereditary trailer simply because of that clicking noise the girl made.  No laughing during the viewing though.

Horror trailers are genuinely trash this is no exception. But it looks like it could be a lot worse.

I have such low expectations for these that it doesn't take much for me see a bright side

It looks okay for me, like a regular horror movie, but overall I don't really care about exorcism movies.

And yeah, there's literally nothing "woke" about it. Hollywood's descent into wokeness has made a lot of people paranoid :lol:

The August film I want to see is The Last Voyage of the Demeter.

My sister and I plan to see it. Neither of our husbands are willing to go especially since there are no survivors. 

Unless they stray from the source material 

On 26/07/2023 at 4:54 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

I'm looking forward to seeing the new special edition of ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD, with Kevin Spacey's footage put back :)

Not sure if Spacey is going to be better than Christopher Plummer. Different, sure, but not better.

On 26/7/2023 at 7:54 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

I'm looking forward to seeing the new special edition of ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD, with Kevin Spacey's footage put back :)

Are they really doing that? Could it be related to Spacey just recently beating the rap in the UK case? (If so, I wonder if this could mark the start of his professional rehabilitation.)

On 30/07/2023 at 9:07 AM, JNHFan2000 said:

Never seen amy of these, but wow the tenth!!! That's nuts

It's the Fast And Furious of horror franchises, lol. Haven't seen any after the first one of these or the F & F series, now that I come to think of it (IMO the first Saw was a perfectly good standalone horror-thriller that didn't need follow-ups, and I found the first F & F movie to be pretty mediocre so that put me off seeing any more of those).  

6 hours ago, Bayesian said:

Are they really doing that? Could it be related to Spacey just recently beating the rap in the UK case? (If so, I wonder if this could mark the start of his professional rehabilitation.)

superman-missed-the-joke.gif

Richard saw the news about Spacey winning in court, so came here and made this joke. Of course the studio isn't actually doing that. 

37 minutes ago, Jay said:

Of course the studio isn't actually doing that. 

If find it's not smart to make those assumptions. Movie studios are nuts.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

superman-missed-the-joke.gif

Richard saw the news about Spacey winning in court, so came here and made this joke. Of course the studio isn't actually doing that. 

I fucking hate that gif

On 31/07/2023 at 9:14 PM, JNHFan2000 said:

Dracula looks horrific. In the best way!! I love that they're going full monster. I'm really excited about this.

"I really love this ALIEN-style -"

Stop right there! No need to see any more of this trailer.

If I want to see an ALIEN-style film, I'll watch ALIEN, thank you kindly.

On 04/08/2023 at 7:43 PM, AC1 said:

The new Alexander Payne movie ...

Paul Giamatti is slowly turning into Richard Dreyfuss.