Upcoming Films

Quintus

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is finally playing a superhero, and its not for Marvel or DC

Dwayne Johnson cast as Doc Savage in Shane Black directed film, his followup to The Predator

He's still playing a villain for DC in Shazam, opening April 2019

Doc Savage isn't a superhero. He's an adventurer like Dr. Jones.

If he were a real superhero he wouldn't need a gun. 

I don't think so. To me a superhero has super powers. At least Doc has been breed to be smart. I'm sure the rocks portrayal will be more larger and better than Ron Ely's pretty bad film from 75.

As for Daredevil he has enhanced senses so he sort of has some superpowers. The bat is just batshit crazy.

Above-average levels of intelligence, strength, and physical abilities give any fictional character superheroic status if he fights villains and helps people. Especially if the character has a lot of money and high social status. 

Doc Savage's stories were told in the pulp fiction media of the time, which are comic books. To the average person who really doesn't care about details, comic book heroes are super heroes. And Doc Savage's first stories predate Superman, making him the world's first superhero. 

I'm sure you know that without looking it up. Likely you never heard of him. 

I guess Indiana Jones is a superhero now.

I've heard of him but I didn't grow up with him because I'm not a fogie. 

By most definitions, characters do not require actual supernatural or superhuman powers orphenomena to be deemed superheroes.[1][2][3]While the Dictionary.com definition of 'superhero' is "A figure, especially in a comic strip or cartoon, endowed with superhuman powers and usually portrayed as fighting evil or crime",[4] the longstanding Merriam-Webster dictionary gives the definition as "a fictional hero having extraordinary or superhuman powers; also: an exceptionally skillful or successful person".[5] Terms such as masked crime fighters, costumed adventurers or masked vigilantes are sometimes used to refer to characters such as the Spirit, who may not be explicitly referred to as superheroes but nevertheless share similar traits.

I wouldn't consider Indiana Jones a superhero because he started as a movie character, not a comic book character. But he was inspired by the radio and comic adventurers of the pulp fiction days decades ago. And he does the same things as Doc Savage, a primary inspiration. He does use a gun, he's just really smart and ridiculously lucky. Calling Indiana Jones a superhero is not a stretch. 

Maybe he'll play a very straight fashion designer like Ralph Lauren 

I'm not going to complain, I'm probably going to get my Hopkins dose with HBO's Westworld, which is going to be like a 10 hours movie with Hopkins and Harris.

Duncan Jones is confident that, later this year, he will start shooting his sci-fi project Mute, his love letter to Blade Runner. Apparently it takes place in the Moon-iverse.

duncan-jones-mute-is-finally-getting-mad

Interview (mainly about Warcraft though):

http://www.indiewire.com/2016/06/duncan-jones-warcraft-christopher-nolan-moon-mute-interview-1201682897/

Alex

I don't really think about the origins of movies which catch my eye. Btw have you never seen Battle Royale or even Oldboy? I loved Crouching Tiger first time I watched it but could never muster the effort to face it again. The Host is another quality Korean watch. Great little monster flick ! 

Oldboy is an awesome movie

(The original, not the Spike Lee remake... though at least that one features Elizabeth Olsen)

1 hour ago, Lonnegan said:

The latest out of nowhere film to be fast tracked to the top of my list:

8DeocOE.jpg

All right, I'm mildly intrigued.  What did it for you?  Maybe I'll check it out.

I stumbled on the eye catching poster art while on my google travels, searched the title and seconds later learned it was being compared with great horror cinema and praised for being brilliant in its own right. That'll often do the trick for me mate; I won't watch the trailer because I like it fresh. 

Finally giving Julia Stiles a big role it seems (though it also makes it look like she bites it on the motorcycle halfway through, though I'm sure that's normal fake trailer trickery)

10 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I still remember the third film, which had Stiles for quite a good portion of it, but gave her only a few lines.

Supremacy and Ultimatum are such joyless films. I wonder if this will be any different.

It's Greengrass so ...

I am sorry to hear the New Line is proceedings with Stephen King's IT. The movie appears to have very little to do with the actual novel. Sounds like the Shining which also had little in common with the book.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-battlestar-galactica-movie-just-took-a-major-step-f-1781670452 

We have a writer and a potential director for the Battlestar film.

I have no clue what they are moving towards, but I hope it includes the cast of the reboot series. As they gave some of the best performances that I've ever seen in anything; tv, film, on-stage etc.

Also Bear McCreary MUST score it. But with Francis Lawrence tipped to direct, it would likely be JNH scoring it. Which would be briliant, but McCreary WAS battlestar.

Ron Howard to direct science fiction flick called Seveneves.

22816087.jpg

http://www.slashfilm.com/ron-howard-seveneves/

Also, Mel Gibson wants to make a sequel to Passion Of The Christ!

the_passion_of_the_christ_still.jpg

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/mel-gibson-planning-passion-christ-901299?utm_source=twitter

Alex