"Parade of the Ewoks" or "Short Round's Theme"

MrScratch

Parade of the Ewoks or Short Round's Theme?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Which theme do you like better?

• Parade of the Ewoks
    • Short Round's Theme

Two comparable themes, composed a year apart, never rehashed in a later score, similar in mood and composed for a character that is disliked by detractors of the film. And, each theme is also spotlighted in a brief action cue, Heroic Ewok and Short Rounds Escape. Which one do you like better?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two comparable themes, composed a year apart, never rehashed in a later score, similar in mood and composed for a character that is disliked by detracters of the film. And, each theme is also spotlighted in a brief action cue, Heroic Ewok and Short Rounds Escape. Which one do you like better?

People don't like Short Round? Are you kidding me? I always loved that kid in that movie.

Two comparable themes, composed a year apart, never rehashed in a later score, similar in mood and composed for a character that is disliked by detracters of the film. And, each theme is also spotlighted in a brief action cue, Heroic Ewok and Short Rounds Escape. Which one do you like better?

People don't like Short Round? Are you kidding me? I always loved that kid in that movie.

I wouldn't say he's universally hated like, say, Jar Jar. But for people who don't like the film, he is one of the reasons. Same with Jedi and the Ewoks, people that dont like Jedi always criticize the Ewok stuff.

I never cared for any of the ROTJ concert pieces, though Parade Of The Ewoks is my fave of those, by far.

Not The Forest Battle? That's the only one I really care for, though Luke & Leia is decent.

I vote Shorty, but it's close. The Ewoks get some great variation in "Forest Battle."

The Forest Battle has too many false endings.

It was concluding one of the most epic trilogies to ever grace the big screen...I think it deserved to be a little overdramatic.

How about we start a poll concerning minor character motivs? What is better: "Jabba's Theme", or "Mola Ram's Theme"? The problem is, I am actually having trouble deciding that.... (I guess I will go for the Hutt.)

How about we start a poll concerning minor character motivs? What is better: "Jabba's Theme", or "Mola Ram's Theme"? The problem is, I am actually having trouble deciding that.... (I guess I will go for the Hutt.)

Eaaaaaaaasily Mola Ram's Theme.

Jaba's is great in "The Pit of Carkoon," but I hate the concert version.

I never listened to this "concert version" ( I never even knew it existed)

Technically it doesn't anymore, at least not in the original version, but if I remember correctly, there's a fragment of it on the Anthology version of Han Solo Returns. Williams has also recorded it for his Skywalker Symphony CD, and Charles Gerhardt recorded it for his ROTJ disc (which is excellent, by the way. The first CD I ever bought.)

I like "Parade of the Ewoks," but "Short Rounds Theme" wins easily. It becomes absolutely epic throughout the course of the score, far outweighing the little pipsqueak it was written for.

Short Round's Theme, of course.

I don't think people who hate the film hate Short Round. Willie, yes, but not Short Round... why would they? He's not annoying, he's a cool little heroic character.

This is one of the best themes JW composed, IMO... slightly Asian-flavored, optimistic, busy, cheerful.

How about Yoda's Theme versus Short Round's Theme? :blink:

That would probably be a tougher competition.

I voted for "Short Round's Theme", although I still really enjoy "Parade of the Ewoks".

Yoda's theme was in E.T. during the Halloween sequence.

And I too love Yoda's theme, it does a great job of conveying the wise and peaceful nature of the character and works very well in its action variations as well!

Yeah, I had a feeling the question would be misinterpreted. I was being facetious.

And "Yoda's Theme" works surprisingly well in action pieces. I even liked that variation in "Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones" during the "Conveyor Belt" sequence, odd as it may have been. That was "Yoda's Theme", right? I only have my memories of the film to judge.

Yeah, I had a feeling the question would be misinterpreted. I was being facetious.

And "Yoda's Theme" works surprisingly well in action pieces. I even liked that variation in "Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones" during the "Conveyor Belt" sequence, odd as it may have been. That was "Yoda's Theme", right? I only have my memories of the film to judge.

It was. Yoda's Theme has a history of being used in odd places as well, as it's used brilliantly in ESB when Lando, Leia, Chewie and the droids escape from Bespin. The LP liner notes say that moment was to score "Luke applying what Yoda had taught," but I imagine they just got it wrong as I cannot imagine that piece scoring anything else.

Not to mention the part where Luke is chasing after the stormtroopers, only to be led into that carbonite-freezing room, or whatever it was called. Oh, and I love that variation of "Yoda's Theme" in the unused music for the duel.

If I recall correctly, that variation was tracked from the Yoda vs. Dooku duel ("This is just the beginning...!!!"). Differently from TESB, in this case you can hear Yoda's theme in an odd place because it wasn't MEANT for that place.

Matteo

I never listened to this "concert version" ( I never even knew it existed)

Technically it doesn't anymore, at least not in the original version, but if I remember correctly, there's a fragment of it on the Anthology version of Han Solo Returns. Williams has also recorded it for his Skywalker Symphony CD, and Charles Gerhardt recorded it for his ROTJ disc (which is excellent, by the way. The first CD I ever bought.)

Williams recorded it with the Boston Pops for Pops Out of This World, it's also on the Philips Star Wars Trilogy disc.