55 members have voted

1. 1. RotS vs. KotCS

• Star Wars Episode III Revenge of the Sith
    • Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you dislike Glass and DN, Koray? Because you haven't quite made it clear in your posts. :P

Hey, everyone constantly talks about how they hate RCP, so I will constantly talk about how I hate D.Newman and Glass. May as well throw Edelman and Debney in there.

If for nothing else Debney is a film music god for Cutthroat Island alone!

Do you dislike Glass and DN, Koray? Because you haven't quite made it clear in your posts. :P

Hey, everyone constantly talks about how they hate RCP, so I will constantly talk about how I hate D.Newman and Glass. May as well throw Edelman and Debney in there.

Not when he only has a handful of good scores. Cutthroat Island is one, Dragonheart is another. I think there are one or two more I like, but aside from those that's it. He's typecast into the bad comedies and kids films like David Newman. Not much room for any creativity. I can pretty much tell you the composer of a movie without knowing it. I remember seeing the poster for Hotel For Dogs at my theater. And I'm like "What the hell is this? Sounds like something John Debney would do." Lo and behold there is the credit at the bottom "Music by John Debney."

I really thought RotS is a very unpopular score around here. Seems I was wrong.

Or you just have to compare RotS to an even less popular score, and suddenly everybody seems to be loving it. :D

BTW I'm wondering what does Jurassic Park III have to do with anything? :) Now, turd is the right word, at least. Do I hear a cell phone beeping?

I gotta be honest, I love Indy more than Star Wars.

So KOTCS!

I never got into Star Wars, somehow, maybe coz I'm a girl? :(:P

No, I also never got into SW, that is, the prequels.

KotCS I prefer, because it is an Indy score, and it feels like an Indy score. RotS I don't know what is sounds like but not SW.

Do you dislike Glass and DN, Koray? Because you haven't quite made it clear in your posts. ;)

I don't like Glass either. Just meandering stuff that never really goes anywhere to my ears.

I agree that Debney's typecast, and it appears that he enjoys doing smaller projects, which is a pity. Also, Debney's got 4 cues from his replacement music for he Mummy 3 on his site, and I don't know whether it's just me, but they really do sound to me like he had 5 days to write them. Not at all memorable.

Edelman just needs to ditch the synths IMO. He's done some nice material. All those assurances from Rob Cohen about there being 'nothing synth paddy' about The Mummy was unfortunately total rubbish.

There are many single cues that are better in ROTS, I admit. But the score as a whole feels just too disjointed to me. I find KOTCS much more cohesive. I still listen to it a lot, along with the previous three (now that I own the set ;)). ROTS I rarely return to these days. I vote for Indy.

Karol

There are many single cues that are better in ROTS, I admit. But the score as a whole feels just too disjointed to me. I find KOTCS much more cohesive. I still listen to it a lot, along with the previous three (now that I own the set ;)). ROTS I rarely return to these days. I vote for Indy.

Karol

The RotS score is disjointed? How so? It's not as disjointed as AotC, anyway.

I love Randy Edelman's work on MacGyver!! Hahaha. That theme rocks! :mrgreen:

Wasn't that McCarthy?

Not a very good film composer, though. He's not abysmal, but he's not outstanding, either.

Dragonheart is very simple, quite oversynthed, and still wonderful. That's what a lot of heart can do with music. Of course, with better technique, it would be outstanding.

I've known that they're all related, but what I don't know is how. Does anyone know the family tree?

Alfred Newman

Lionel Newman

Randy Newman

Thomas Newman

David Newman

Also Emil Newman (brother of Alfred), Maria Newman (daughter of Alfred) and Joey Newman (grandson of Lionel).

I listened to The Mummy 3 all the way through a couple of days ago.

Again I am thoroughly unimpressed; there's nothing that stands out.

The themes are nice(ish), but the action music is just noise without any flow.

Also there's an overly modern sound in many parts

(do I hear a hint of an electrical guitar in the main theme?)

This is especially unfortunate when compared to both Jerry Goldsmith's and

Alan Silvestri's stellar efforts from the previous installments.

I just started listening to The Mummy Returns and it reallt is brilliant.

Almost every track on the complete version has got something to enjoy.

Some more than others, but it's a very good listen almost all the way through.

Unlike most people, I think, I actually did like The Mummy 3 as a film though.

However, I found the music to be positively distracting.

Nope.

He scored some of the episodes, but Randy Edelman wrote the main title theme.

I understand Randy Edelman wrote the signature theme, and Dennis McCarthy and Randy Edelman took turns scoring the episodes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Edelman

There are many single cues that are better in ROTS, I admit. But the score as a whole feels just too disjointed to me. I find KOTCS much more cohesive. I still listen to it a lot, along with the previous three (now that I own the set :)). ROTS I rarely return to these days. I vote for Indy.

Karol

The RotS score is disjointed? How so? It's not as disjointed as AotC, anyway.

as far as album representation goes, AOTC is by far the most cohesive listening experience of the prequels

Aren't you all being nice?

:)

That's what I thought too. The degree of alienation on display is laughable. Vosk in particular fools nobody - he being a bandwagon jumper with the very best of them.

Josh needs a padded cell.

Maybe, but he does no harm, from his ethernet connected abode. Cut him some slack.

That's what I thought too. The degree of alienation on display is laughable! Vosk in particular fools nobody - he being a bandwagon jumper with the very best of them.

I'm not on any bandwagon...I'm serious I didn't really miss Josh at all. I found all his polls pretty annoying.

That's what I thought too. The degree of alienation on display is laughable! Vosk in particular fools nobody - he being a bandwagon jumper with the very best of them.

I'm not on any bandwagon...I'm serious I didn't really miss Josh at all. I found all his polls pretty annoying.

Regardless, I don't see the need for you or anyone to proclaim it as such. Not the way to welcome someone back.

But it is justified,m since he really does not add anything, except adding more clutter.

Much like you, actually.

No, it's not. See above.