Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Pieter Boelen

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (John Williams)  

59 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this score?

• 5 stars
    • 4,5 stars
    • 4 stars
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 stars
    • I'm not familiar with this score

Every few days I will post a thread on a random score from my collection that we can discuss and rate. I made a playlist on my computer with one track of each score I've got, so by using the random play option, I'll be able to post a truly random score each time. Hopefully this will allow us to discuss some scores that would otherwise never be discussed. Also we can record the rating so that we can create a full list of the ratings given to scores by JWFan.com.

This is a continuation of a series of polls I started before I left. One of the last scores I posted was ToD, but now that we actually have an expanded version, I post it again, just to get things going again and see if anybody's opinion on the score has changed. Stand by for new entries in the score rating polls shortly.

Today's score is Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom by John Williams. Are you familiar with it? What do you like about it? What don't you like about it? How do do you think it works in the film? What are your favourite tracks?

indyexp2zh1.jpg

So far JWFan has rated:

See Soundtrack Ratings by JWFan.com.

This web page contains the ratings from all my previous polls as well as those of Blumenkohl's.

Final ratings are converted to a 1-10 rating for both rating systems so that they can be compared.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 stars. Even after the Box, it still doesn't excite me all that much. It may change with further listens (I've never found the time to pay much attention to it while playing it a few times so far), but for now, it's still my least favourite of the original trilogy. Raiders and Crusade would likely get 5 stars. (Unless I start thinking about it and decide to rate one only 4.5, in which case I'd have to think about putting TOD at 3.5, but that seems a bit low again... or not? Anyway I already voted 4)

Love to know who's going to vote for the last option....

5 from me. Absolute classic Williams at his overwhelming best. I wake up some days with the final moments of Nightclub Brawl and Out of Fuel running through my head. The orchestration is just addictive.

I cannot name a SINGLE other score in history where *every single cue* is mesmerizingly listenable and complex. Truly a masterwork.

E.T., Empire Strickes Back, Schindler's List to name few. Temple is way behind them. It's also third IJ score and hardly stands up to Raiders and Crusade. It's a good score on it's own, though, but I can find lots of other JW's scores that are better.

E.T., Empire Strickes Back, Schindler's List to name few. Temple is way behind them. It's also third IJ score and hardly stands up to Raiders and Crusade. It's a good score on it's own, though, but I can find lots of other JW's scores that are better.

Temple of Doom is way better than The Last Crusade.

Temple of Doom is way better than The Last Crusade.

It's more original, that's for sure. It's still one of the most unique JW's scores, but I never enjoyed it as much as TLC.

TOD score has always been underrated because of the nature of the film itself...

I think it has more to do with two-thirds of the score remaining unreleased for almost 25 years.

Still, from the vinyl era, it's the only one I know that wasn't a victim of severe micro-edits and combinatios of several cues into one... let's say it was a "complete 40mins LP release"

How about the ROTJ OST?

ROTJ got a great re-release only 10 years later, and an even greater one less then 4 years after the first re-release...

Besides, fans were spoiled with 2LP releases of the two previous films... none of the Indy films got that treatment back then...

That does not change the fact at all that the ROTJ OST was crap!

BTW, Raiders was expanded only 2 years after the SW scores.

Wouldn't say crap... inferior to the previous two, maybe...

Raiders was never considered an underrated score (not by me, at least). When we got the DCC release back in 1995, we didn't have the notion that maybe our favorite soundtracks could be released with much more music, no micro-edits, chronological order... we were "babies" in what refers to "expanded releases"

Let me go even further: I think what started this wave of royal treatment for soundtracks releases and re-releases was Star Wars Anthology and Raiders of the Lost Ark DCC...

You know, that sort of makes me appreciate how spoiled we are these days. By the time I got into soundtracks, the 2-disc RotJ had already been around for four years. I can hardly imagine having to make do with the OST. Blegh!

I got that beat....I got that beat.

I had to record bits from the star wars films, Jaws, Raiders etc...etc... on tape by placing a cassete recorder in front of my TV's single speaker.

I did that too. I remember my father shouting at me because I had the TV up really loud to get a proper recording.

The Gerhardt JEDI was the first CD I bought. It was beautiful to hear something more than the OST, and I still love it now.