What is the last score you listened to?

Mr. Breathmask

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole album is fantastic.

Million Dollar Baby.

I recall not saying nice things about it back then but the Morricone like tracks (Nice Working with You,Deep in Thought...) are quite beautiful.

Did Clint Eastwood orchestrate that himself ?

I believe Lennie Niehaus still orchestrates and conducts for Eastwood.

Fire Water Paper: A Vietnam Oratorio - Goldenthal

This is a massive piece of work. It clocks in at about 65 minutes and it thrilling throughout. On a good sound system this would be a terrifying listen, honestly. I mean that in a good way, I think it is just THAT POWERFUL. I'd rank it among his very best works, perhaps his own masterpiece (I'm saying this without having heard Othello just yet).

Find those mp3s of your, Marian, this is a great listen!

Quiet City, John Henry, Our Town, Las Agachadas, Fanfare for the Common Man all composed and conducted by Aaron Copland.

Quiet City didn't really do much for me. OK, but nothing too special.

John Henry Nice little piece of music. I liked it. Can't really remember why right now.

Our Town VERY good. Beautiful adagio piece from start to finish. I am guessing John Barry might have found some of his inspiration for Dances With Wolves in this piece. Highly recommended.

Las Agachadas Done in an almost humorous style, this vocal piece did not do much for me.

Fanfare for the Common Man Of course, classic, though it was very interesting to hear it conducted by the man himself. One interesting thing that struck me was the way that he takes the first 3 brass notes in an almost long-short-long timing. It gives it a different feel than other versions I have heard. I think this is the best version I have heard to date.

My appreciation of Aaron Copland's music continues to climb as I expand my admittedly limited knowledge of the man's works.

My appreciation of Aaron Copland's music continues to climb as I expand my admittedly limited knowledge of the man's works.

And now it is time for you to expand your admittedly limited knowledge of Nino Rota's works!

Fire Water Paper: A Vietnam Oratorio - Goldenthal

This is a massive piece of work. It clocks in at about 65 minutes and it thrilling throughout. On a good sound system this would be a terrifying listen, honestly. I mean that in a good way, I think it is just THAT POWERFUL. I'd rank it among his very best works, perhaps his own masterpiece (I'm saying this without having heard Othello just yet).

I really want to listen to this. I must get hold of it sometime

And now it is time for you to expand your admittedly limited knowledge of Nino Rota's works!

Hey, I didn't admit anything about Nino Rota... ;)

BACK TO THE FUTURE PART III. Lovely score, I so enjoy Silvestri. The new themes are great, and I love the more gentle moments.

Yes, one of my favourites.

The Adventures Of Robin Hood by Eric Wolfgang Korngold. Classic.

Othello is all right I guess, and sounds very much like typical Goldenthal. So it should really be good - but for some reason, it's failed to engage me so far.

I'd rather find the CD. I had it in my hands at a store years ago, but having spent too much money on other CDs that same day already, I hesistated to pick it up. Went back there the next day and it was gone.

BACK TO THE FUTURE PART III. Lovely score, I so enjoy Silvestri. The new themes are great, and I love the more gentle moments.

Question is....which one? The OST or complete score? The OST sorta lacks a bit.

The new western theme is really underused, it's very good.

I've been listening to The Curious Case of Benjamin Button a lot lately. What an excellent score, the second best of 2008 IMO. It contains some really beautiful music. "Benjamin and Daisy" contains some of the greatest piano writing, rivaling that of A.I. and Accidental Tourist.

That is one of my favorites as well.

I'm currently listening to academy promo of Mulan. I love it.

Othello is all right I guess, and sounds very much like typical Goldenthal. So it should really be good - but for some reason, it's failed to engage me so far.

I does sound more typical, but if someone is a fan of both Titus and Batman Forever, it should be a real treat.

Karol

John Williams - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (OST)

Recent threads about the scores have made me want to listen to the OSTs again. This particular OST reminds me of Hook - it's lengthy, varied, covers definite highlights of the film - but still isn't close to being the complete score, and the missing music is really missed once you know the score enough to become aware of it. Like skipping right from the Face of Voldemort to Leaving Hogwarts, no troll or Forbidden Forest music, etc. I really really hope they release a complete score sometime soon

I does sound more typical, but if someone is a fan of both Titus and Batman Forever, it should be a real treat.

Titus is cool, and I'm a huge fan of Batman Forever. Didn't help much so far.

John Williams - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (OST)

Recent threads about the scores have made me want to listen to the OSTs again. This particular OST reminds me of Hook - it's lengthy, varied, covers definite highlights of the film - but still isn't close to being the complete score, and the missing music is really missed once you know the score enough to become aware of it. Like skipping right from the Face of Voldemort to Leaving Hogwarts, no troll or Forbidden Forest music, etc. I really really hope they release a complete score sometime soon

Jason, do you know if the cue from the scene where Harry & Hagrid enter Diagon Alley was an alternate? Or was it just not on the OST at all? The same theme (could be tracked from the Diagon Alley scene?) is used as they enter The Great Hall for the first time too. I can't seem to find this cue on the OST. :folder:

A complete score would be good, or even an expanded edition would be better than nothing.

Last of the Mohicans

Did Hans Zimmer get permission to recycle this score for At World's End?

He never usually does.

Jason, do you know if the cue from the scene where Harry & Hagrid enter Diagon Alley was an alternate? Or was it just not on the OST at all? The same theme (could be tracked from the Diagon Alley scene?) is used as they enter The Great Hall for the first time too. I can't seem to find this cue on the OST. :folder:

The original cue for the Diagon Alley scene is heard on the OST. In the final cut, it was replaced by music tracked from the entrance into the Great Hall.

Speaking of that music, it is not on the OST - despite having a track on the OST called "Entrance Into the Great Hall", that track is actually music for a different scene.

So the music you are looking for appears twice in the film, but not on the OST!

Jason, do you know if the cue from the scene where Harry & Hagrid enter Diagon Alley was an alternate? Or was it just not on the OST at all? The same theme (could be tracked from the Diagon Alley scene?) is used as they enter The Great Hall for the first time too. I can't seem to find this cue on the OST. :lol:

The original cue for the Diagon Alley scene is heard on the OST. In the final cut, it was replaced by music tracked from the entrance into the Great Hall.

Speaking of that music, it is not on the OST - despite having a track on the OST called "Entrance Into the Great Hall", that track is actually music for a different scene.

That's what I thought (only I got it the wrong way 'round :folder: ), thanks. :P

Anyone know if either of those scenes can be ripped cleanly from the DVD?

Jason, do you know if the cue from the scene where Harry & Hagrid enter Diagon Alley was an alternate? Or was it just not on the OST at all? The same theme (could be tracked from the Diagon Alley scene?) is used as they enter The Great Hall for the first time too. I can't seem to find this cue on the OST. :lol:

That's what I thought (only I got it the wrong way 'round :folder: ), thanks. :P

Most of the score can be ripped surprisingly clean from the DVD

Sadly HP2 is quite the opposite

Sadly HP2 is quite the opposite

Ok, thanks. :P

Weird how they do one clean, and then suddenly decide to do another one 'ruined' so to speak. :P

It all depends on how much the SFX and dialogue are pushed into the rear channels in the final mix. Fortunately for SS, hardly any were.

CoS is mixed so low it hardly matters how clean the music is, the rip is still crap.

3:10 to Yuma. FSM was right- intrumentally, it does sound a bit like a Thomas Newman action score. But stylistically, it's quite good Morricone-inspired Beltrami. I like how much it sounds like Morricone, yet it is not something Morricone would write. I can't say how much it sounds like Beltrami, as it's the only score of his I own.

And, in the case of the cue in question, its original use in the Great Hall is significantly cleaner. What I can't figure out is where just a bit of the music near the beginning of the Diagon Alley sequence came from. It starts with a tracked statement of the short "Wingardium Leviosa" cue, but then it launches into an introductory crescendo that's heard nowhere else in the film. Then comes the music from the Great Hall. I suspect that bit of music was written for that scene, and I also suspect there's more to it that we haven't heard. Another mystery is why there seems to be an edit in the Great Hall version...the transition into the part also heard in Diagon Alley sounds like an edit. Not sure what music was omitted there.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Long story short - rip the Great Hall music for lots of clean material, then rip the Diagon Alley music for that brief moment of different music and for reference so you can edit the Great Hall music accordingly.

Last score I listened to was FSM's Star Trek 2 - though, just the previously unreleased cues. GREAT STUFF!!!!!!!

Listened to the first couple of tracks of G.I. Joe: Rise Of Cobra. Don't think I can make it all the way through.

You should. The second half is better by a country mile.

Amistad by John Williams

Keisuke Wakao Plays the Music of John Williams

Rudy by Jerry Goldsmith

All the King's Men by James Horner

<!--quoteo(post=591280:date=Jul 24 2009, 10:42 PM:name=Koray Savas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koray Savas @ Jul 24 2009, 10:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=591280"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Listened to the first couple of tracks of <i>G.I. Joe: Rise Of Cobra</i>. Don't think I can make it all the way through.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You should. The second half is better by a country mile.

Oh, hell yes! It's a real piece of Silvestri oomph! His music doesn't really say anything, but it says it loud.

After giving Star Trek II plenty of love I've moved on to my other big aquisition of the week- the complete score for Zelda: Twilight Princess (thank you, you know who!). I'm only a little bit into "disc" 2 of 6(!), and I'm already ready to call it the best Zelda score.

For those who have GI:Joe, there has been some comments on other message boards that the disc is poorly mastered. Somepeople have checked the quality and basically say it's no better than 192kbps if you were to compare it to that.

After giving Star Trek II plenty of love I've moved on to my other big aquisition of the week- the complete score for Zelda: Twilight Princess (thank you, you know who!). I'm only a little bit into "disc" 2 of 6(!), and I'm already ready to call it the best Zelda score.

The Twilight Princess soundtrack is Nintendo's answer to Wagner. What a behemoth! I've just gotten through it. Amazing. Interestingly, this soundtrack uses broad strokes and exciting orchestrations for the battle music and restrained, ambient sort of compositions for the dungeons, which is kind of the opposite of previous Zelda games. It's also the most cinematic soundtrack, continuing in Wind Waker's tradition of operatic leitmotif (again, Wagner). Maybe it's a little corny (dun, dun, DAHHHH! EPONA'S THEME! da-da-da-da MOBLINS), but it's damned fun. In the gentler moments the score has a very folksy, ernest feel. Lots of guitar work. The Twilight music is really cool, though I feel like they just opened GarageBand and took random synthesizers from it. I know Nintendo's sound team is more disciplined than that, though. Regardless, the music worked brilliantly in the game. So unnerving. Then there's that oh-so-wonderful homage to Morricone ("Hidden Village"). I was disappointed that the game fell back on

using Ganondorf as the enemy, as always,

but it's worth it for the music alone: "Before Zant Battle," holy shit! I have to wonder where they'll go from here, though. Could the soundtracks possibly get any more epic and dynamic? Phantom Hourglass failed to offer anything substantial, so I wonder if Spirit Tracks or, more likely, the untitled 2010 game will truly advance Zelda music. I think one thing's clear: those samples and synths need to go. Bring on the orchestra.

For those who have GI:Joe, there has been some comments on other message boards that the disc is poorly mastered. Somepeople have checked the quality and basically say it's no better than 192kbps if you were to compare it to that.

Mine are 221 kbps (VBR).

I read that on the Silvestri forums. I thought it was a tad flat in comparison to other Silvestri CDs, but not that bad!