What is the last score you listened to?

Mr. Breathmask

Well I know TMP, Meteor, Prophecy, Alligator, The Black Hole, Battle Beyond the Stars, Star Trek II & III, I think Wolfen and 2010 used it as well.

I know there are others, I thought First Contact used it but I think I read or heard it was just electronics employed by Goldsmith for similar sounds.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Blue Max

This is the first Jerry I've gotten in a while that would challenge to make my top tier of favorites from him, it's just superb. Too bad the sound quality doesn't match up, but for a mid-60s score I guess we can't complain too much.

61's The Spiral Road sounds excellent. I wish Max's sound quality could match that, but honestly, it sounds good enough.

A Whale for The Killing / Wind - Basil Poledouris

I already had Wind from its original release.

I only got it a couple of weeks ago, and was positively surprised: I adore Wind.

Well I know TMP, Meteor, Prophecy, Alligator, The Black Hole, Battle Beyond the Stars, Star Trek II & III, I think Wolfen and 2010 used it as well.

Not to forget Rosenman's own LOTR.

ERASER - The "A" Theme for Schwarzenegger is wonderfully Silvestri. I really dig it. But ultimately it's not enough to hang an entire score on. I'm happy to own it, but so far it hasn't taken root with me.

DRAGONSLAYER (again) - Man, I love this thing! I know it's all wrong for the film, but it is delicious. I find myself coming back to this again and again.

THE GOONIES - What a delight. As far as Holy Grails, I'm enjoying this more than the equally-demanded Back to the Future. (And I loved that one too). Grusin's score is just plain fun, with so much great thematic material. It's never boring, and the presentation is superb.

DRAGONSLAYER (again) - Man, I love this thing! I know it's all wrong for the film, but it is delicious. I find myself coming back to this again and again.

Since I haven't heard a note of it (and I plan to buy this very soon)... how much of 2001 is in there? I was always curious about that.

Karol

Recently started getting into Silvestri more after ordering Eraser. Been listening to The Mummy Returns non stop. Great stuff. Makes me sad he was replaced for Pirates of the Caribbean.

Since I haven't heard a note of it (and I plan to buy this very soon)... how much of 2001 is in there? I was always curious about that.

Karol

Just the space docking cue.

Mummy Returns is a fun score. The action theme teeters on the edge of cheesy/effective. In the end, the enthusiasm of the score won me over.

I've been cool on him recently...though Duplicity is one of the few scores from last year I return to, even if it is JNH totally aping Powell.

Since my experience of listening to Lost Season 1 in the car was such a success, I recently listened to the other 3

Michael Giacchino - Lost Season 2

Is this generally considered to be the worst of the OSTs? Cause while listening nothing really grabbed me like Season 1 OST did.... and I didn't even recognize any themes at all, until the very end when I heard what I believe is Desmond's Theme. No Island Theme, no Locke's Theme, not even Life and Death! Surely it must have played in the episodes when Shannon and Libby died (or where buried, whatever)... surprised it didn't make the OST at all. By the end there was some good music but right now I'd say it's my least favorite of the OSTs.

Michael Giacchino - Lost Season 3

Now this is more like it! What a great release. Two 80 minute CDs of music and it is hardly ever boring. Recognized lots of themes this time. Loving Desmond's theme the more I hear it. Love all the variations of the traveling theme on disc 2. If there's any slight it's that the second disc can be a little draggy at times.... but what can you expect from complete television scores.

Michael Giacchino - Lost Season 4

OK This disc was one of my favorites from last year, but I hadn't heard it in a while. I was surprised by how little there is to like from the first half - nothing really attention grabbing, a lot of quieter underscore. But once it gets to the music from the 3hour finale, it really picks up and never lets you go. Lots of great music here... a bunch of themes I noticed appeard in multiple cues even if I didn't know what they represented. Good stuff.

I actually like the S2 OST, Jay...it's not my favorite, but it's not my least favorite, either. It's actually got a lot of themes in it - all three of Hurley's themes, the hatch theme, the main theme, Charlie's theme, Sun and Jin's theme, two of the traveling themes, Rose and Bernard's theme, the first theme for the Others (which has since been retired), Ben's theme, Desmond's theme...of course, most of these don't get much of any development in the album, but that's a sacrifice the Island demanded - er, I mean, a sacrifice made necessary by the length of a 1-CD soundtrack.

However, I agree wholeheartedly with your assessments of the other two. S3 has awesome written all over it, even if the second disc sacrifices a sublime listening experience in order to provide more material. And the first half of S4 is my least favorite stretch of any Lost album...but then once the season finale starts for the second half of the disc, it's pretty much all awesome from there on out.

Can't wait to be able to post my thoughts on S5 in a few more weeks! :)

Wow, that's a lot of themes on the Season 2 OST! Clearly I need to go back to Lost Theme Recognition School :)

Speaking of which, do you have an up-to-date PDF? The last one I have from you stops 2 themes into Season 4

Unfortunately, no...I think once season 6 is over and I've had time to fully digest everything, I'll put together another PDF with all the most important themes. :) You'll be the first to know!

I can't ever get into James Newton Howard.

IMHO, JNH seems to fall onto 2 distinct camps; there are the grand, epic scores ("Wyatt Earp", "Atlantis", "Dinosaur", etc.), and then there are his gritty, "urban" scores, such as "The Saint Of Fort Washington", "Falling Down", "The Fugitive", and my personal favourite, "Grand Canyon". There are a few in-between ("The Village", "Signs"), but I feel that JNH can't escape his time as a session man with the likes of Reg Dwight, and Quincy Jones, and his collaborations with all the Toto alumni, to totally (or is that Totoally?) join the Premiership of great composers. Still, I guess it is better to be at the top of the Championship, rather than to be at the bottom of the Premiership. Yes, I'm talking to you, Mr. Horner, who hasn't composed a score worthy of my attention since "The Name Of The Rose", while "Michael Clayton" is actually quite good...

Agreed, Waterworld is fantastic. I'll have to dedicate some time to listening to more of his stuff. I have enjoyed his stuff for Shyamalan's films.

I have heard nothing but amazing things about his Shyamalan scores. I need to give them a solid listen.

I really like Blood Diamond; there may be a certain Zimmer influence there, but it's not unfitting and doesn't distract. My JNH favourites are King Kong and Lady in the Water.

Waterworld has nice bits, but gets rather boring in the long run. And so far, I haven't been able to get into The Fugitive at all.

Michael Giacchino - Lost Season 2

Is this generally considered to be the worst of the OSTs?

It has Hurley's Handouts, which is one of my favourite Lost cues.

Oh yea, and I caught some of Alex North's Dragonslayer on Cinemagic while driving last night. My thoughts were "this is suppsoed to underscore a fantasy dragon-slaying movie?"

In a way, that's the beauty of it. It is so out of left field. North either completely misunderstood the task, or had big balls to try something so crazy. But I love it.

It did make me want to listen to the CD, that's for sure. And I wanna see the movie sometime too :D

I have heard nothing but amazing things about his Shyamalan scores. I need to give them a solid listen.

IMO they're some of the most mature music he's ever written. Although god knows where he got the inspiration for The Happening. A technically good but creatively spoof-like film.

I don't like the action material in Blood Diamond or Defiance. Both have Zimmer written all over them and he's capable of so much more. Hope it isn't a new trend.

It did make me want to listen to the CD, that's for sure. And I wanna see the movie sometime too :D

I picked up the DVD for $5 at a used music store. It's truly unusual. Don't expect a great film, but it stands out because of the score, the cinematography, the dragon itself, and the fact that some of the themes are quite out of place in a fantasy film geared towards family audiences.

Jaws the original album, the prequels, Jurassic Park, Home Alone 2 and CE3K original album.

That wonderful Boston Pops version of "My Friend, the Brachiosaurus" featured at the end of my JP playlist has me listening to Williams on Williams now.

Jaws the original album, the prequels, Jurassic Park, Home Alone 2 and CE3K original album.

That wonderful Boston Pops version of "My Friend, the Brachiosaurus" featured at the end of my JP playlist has me listening to Williams on Williams now.

I enjoy that album. Especially for the Jaws track and the Smee's Plan track. I love the loud bombastic ending to the concert version of Smees plan.

Mars Attacks! by Danny Elfman.

I think this score is incredible, I don't get why it's so underrated. I even love the bonus tracks "Trailer" and "Main Title (ORCH Demo)", I guess I just can't get enough of that militaristic rhythm and what Elfman does around it. Sure, the score as a whole isn't really consistent, but so what? It's fantastic film music that showcased Elfman at his finest in the mid-90's.

The Goonies:

Good stuff. I love both version of "Fratelli Chase." There is some other really nice material, although it is diluted by a bunch of less interesting dead music. The liner notes are interesting also. Nice release, Varese.

Mars Attacks! by Danny Elfman.

I think this score is incredible, I don't get why it's so underrated. I even love the bonus tracks "Trailer" and "Main Title (ORCH Demo)", I guess I just can't get enough of that militaristic rhythm and what Elfman does around it. Sure, the score as a whole isn't really consistent, but so what? It's fantastic film music that showcased Elfman at his finest in the mid-90's.

:)

EDIT: OK I hate how the thumbs up icon here has a winking face along with it. I'm just trying to agree with your post :P

I'm listening to [The Goonies] right now, and it's dragging quite a bit. I'm around halfway through and want it to end.

The first time I listened to the CD it dragged for me a bit as well - despite loving the score since my childhood and anxiously awaiting this cd... its a Loooong CD (with far more music than is in the movie).

However, I liked it immensely more upon 2nd listening. Give it another chance

I'm in one of those "get a score and can't stop playing it" modes. I can't stop playing Rosenman's score to Prophecy. I actually think it may be one of Rosenman's more accessible scores to listen to, for those who feel his music is too atonal and dissonant to listen to.

The Pacific by Hans Zimmer, Geoff Zanelli, Blake Neely

I just bought it, without having heard any samples before. A leap of faith, if you will. And it's very fine actually. Doesn't sound really like RC music. It's more like a cross between Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers, with a touch of the gentler parts of The Thin Red Line. There's nothing particularly stunning here and the album is very long, but it is a quality music. Didn't expect that.

Well, the above might sound like a faint praise, but it isn't. The album is very enjoyable really. Maybe too morbid to go back to very often (much like most of Band of Brothers, to be honest), but well worth investigation. it's nice to see some more acoustic and gentle sounding music from these people. I like that. Much in a same way I enjoyed Creation earlier this year.

Just curious: How much of it did Zimmer compose himself? Is there much of his music on the album or is his name only a marketing tool (again)?

Karol

Dave Grusin's majestic compositions are no match for the power of Jablonsky!

Been listening to Stu Phillips' BSG anthology. Good stuff although very sad that the film version of 'Let's Go Home' still remains unreleased, at least as far as I'm aware.

Alan Silvestri - Eraser (La La Land)

Enjoyable... on first listen nothing really stood out that wasn't already on the OST. To my ears there was a lot of filler here.

Mark Mancina - Speed (Complete)

Man, this brought back memories! I used to listen to this music ALL. THE. TIME when I was younger. I think the OST actually worked better, as ridiculously out of order as it was... but I also quite enjoyed the 3 missing cues, so whatevs.

Michael Land - Secret Of Monkey Island (SE remake)

Excellent! I haven't had the time to play the game yet to experience it all first hand, but the music I know like the back of my hand has never sounded better!

Basil Poledouris - Robocop (OST)

I found it to be a bit disjointed, music seemingly jumping around from idea to idea with no clear development - there was no "theme starts this way, builds to this, climaxes this way". Also the track times listed on the back cover were wrong for just about every track! And boy, Roger was right about the OST just ending! Definitely going to pick up the Intrada Complete.

Been listening to Stu Phillips' BSG anthology. Good stuff although very sad that the film version of 'Let's Go Home' still remains unreleased, at least as far as I'm aware.

Ah, yes! The real Battlestar Galactica! I remember getting that set in (what was it?) 1996 or so... $80 was unfathomable for me, but I had to have it. Great, great stuff. I wish they had that opening titles music they would play at the title card for each episode. I think MV let a serious hint slip that we will see a major release of this music again sometime soon. Which is good news because the sound on the music from the pilot could use some tweaking.

I just bought it, without having heard any samples before. A leap of faith, if you will. And it's very fine actually. Doesn't sound really like RC music. It's more like a cross between Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers, with a touch of the gentler parts of The Thin Red Line. There's nothing particularly stunning here and the album is very long, but it is a quality music. Didn't expect that.

Well, the above might sound like a faint praise, but it isn't. The album is very enjoyable really. Maybe too morbid to go back to very often (much like most of Band of Brothers, to be honest), but well worth investigation. it's nice to see some more acoustic and gentle sounding music from these people. I like that. Much in a same way I enjoyed Creation earlier this year.

Just curious: How much of it did Zimmer compose himself? Is there much of his music on the album or is his name only a marketing tool (again)?

Karol

If you're more interested into the scoring process, my brother interviewed Geoff Zanelli recently. In short, Zimmer composed some early suites for the series, and Neely and Zanelli used that as kind of a foundation for their music. One of Zimmer's long passages, I recall it was like 9 minutes or something, was used in the show, but the rest is by Zanelli and Neely.

Karol

If you're more interested into the scoring process, my brother interviewed Geoff Zanelli recently. In short, Zimmer composed some early suites for the series, and Neely and Zanelli used that as kind of a foundation for their music. One of Zimmer's long passages, I recall it was like 9 minutes or something, was used in the show, but the rest is by Zanelli and Neely.

Thanks ;) It is pretty rare for composers to speak as candidly about the process. Interesting.

Karol