What is the last score you listened to?

Mr. Breathmask

I don't get bored listening to any of the complete soundtracks. There are slower parts, but I wouldn't want any of it omitted.

My dream release: all three in complete form, with Anthology-or-better sound quality, using the correct takes, with all cues separated. Then I could go in and edit them together as I pleased. (Which, for the most part, would just be like the film versions. I just like having them clean, too.)

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bored is a bit of an exaggeration, but I just prefer the older arrangement at times. Like I said, it's phases. Right now I'm in SE phase. A month or two from now I'll listen only to the Anthology for whatever reason where I prefer The Walls Converge backwards and Training of a Jedi Knight with that cool segue to Luke's Nocturnal Visitor.

The LPs are awesome. I've been listening to a rip of the ESB LP, as I don't have the 2-platter one (it was never sold in the UK).

Something that also needs to be taken into consideration is the editing together of some cues. For instance, the SW main title track on ESB ends with 'This Is No Cave'.

For those that are curious, here are the track listings for the LP's.

Star Wars LP

LP 1

Side 1

1. Main Title (05:20)

2. Imperial Attack (06:10)

3. Princess Leia's Theme (04:18)

4. The Desert and the Robot Auction (02:51)

Side 2

5. Ben's Death and TIE Fighter Attack (03:46)

6. The Little People Work (04:02)

7. Rescue of the Princess (04:46)

8. Inner City (04:12)

9. Cantina Band (02:44)

LP 2

Side 1

1. The Land of the Sand People (02:50)

2. Mouse Robot and Blasting Off (04:01)

3. The Return Home (02:46)

4. The Walls Converge (04:31)

5. The Princess Appears (04:04)

Side 2

6. The Last Battle (12:05)

7. The Throne Room and End Title (05:28)

The Empire Strikes Back LP

LP 1

Side 1

1. Star Wars (Main Theme) (05:49)

2. Yoda's Theme (03:24)

3. The Training of a Jedi Knight (03:17)

4. The Heroics of Luke and Han (06:18)

Side 2

5. The Imperial March (Darth Vader's Theme) (02:59)

6. Departure of Boba Fett (03:30)

7. Han Solo and the Princess (03:25)

8. Hyperspace (04:02)

9. The Battle in the Snow (03:48)

LP 2

Side 1

1. The Asteroid Field (04:10)

2. The City in the Clouds (06:29)

3. Rebels at Bay (05:23)

4. Yoda and the Force (04:01)

Side 2

5. The Duel (04:07)

6. The Magic Tree (03:32)

7. Lando's Palace (03:52)

8. Finale (06:28)

What a bloody mess! :D

I always hated how the cave cue was missing on the Anthology.

Especially as it was on the original album. As great as it is, there are a couple of strange choices there. Like Heroic Ewok preceding The Fleet Goes Into Hyperspace.

The Empire Album cues are pretty much what they say they are. The opening cue features and abbreviated version of the probe droid & the Wampa attack on Luke, before cutting to the Mynock cave sequence. The Heroics Of Luke & Han features Luke's escape from the Wampa cave and The Falcon's escape from Hoth. Rebels At Bay begins with the unused snowspeeder music as they search for Luke & Han music and then segues into the second half of the Battle of Hoth, ending the same as on the SE.

The Cable Guy - John Ottman

Ok, I'm probably the only guy here who still likes Superman Returns and its score, but... where did THIS John Ottman go? I mean, it's not terribly original, but it's so goshdarned entertaining, I can't help but love it.

Currently listening to disc 2 of LLL's Independence Day

When it's done I'll check out disc 1

GREAT so far. Sound quality is superb!

I'm starting to listen to all of the Williams/Spielberg scores in chronological order.

The Sugarland Express

A great theme, a nice combination of JW's western scores and his jazzy days. I really hope this gets released one day. One of you guys at the Texas concert should have been like, "Hey Johnny, how 'bout you stop this nonsense about keeping Sugarland under wraps?" ROTFLMAO

Jaws: Anniversary Collector's Edition

I can enjoy it for what it is, but not much more than that. Still won't be returning to this one too often, it's just too overplayed. However, I did find an odd liking to the "Shark Cage Fugue."

Close Encounters Of The Third Kind: Collector's Edition

Every time I revisit this, I love it more and more. The first half though, is too dissonant and tonal for me. However, once it hits "Forming The Mountain," the rest of the soundtrack is pure genius.

Definitely one of JW's best marches. Love it.

Raiders Of The Lost Ark (Soundtracks Collection)

This was probably the first time I wasn't bored by this score. I've always liked "Escape From The Temple," but I found myself lovin' "The Medallion," "The Basket Game" (which reminded me of Home Alone a bit), "The Map Room: Dawn," of course "Marion's Theme" and "The Miracle Of The Ark."

Currently on E.T.

The Concord Indy set aka Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection.

"The Medallion" is in my opinion a mega highlight of JW's career. It's such a great cue.

Definitely. The little motif for the headpiece is amazing, especially when it opens To Cairo.

I like that motif too. It feels like you're in the desert or something. In fact the whole score seems to teleport the listener to different places: here's the jungle! here's the scary dark temple! etc

I'm listening to the cantata version of Alexander Nevsky. The beginning of the last part is epic shit.

The Sugarland Express

A great theme, a nice combination of JW's western scores and his jazzy days. I really hope this gets released one day. One of you guys at the Texas concert should have been like, "Hey Johnny, how 'bout you stop this nonsense about keeping Sugarland under wraps?" :lol:

Had I known Williams would have stayed around and signed all the autographs, John and I would have waited at the end of the line so I could ask him a few things, although I probably wouldn't have asked him anything related to releases.

I wanted to ask him about Tintin but when you're in the presence of greatness you sometimes forget things. I'm surprised I shook his hand and thanked him without sounding like a fool.

Had I known Williams would have stayed around and signed all the autographs, John and I would have waited at the end of the line so I could ask him a few things, although I probably wouldn't have asked him anything related to releases.

I wanted to ask him about Tintin but when you're in the presence of greatness you sometimes forget things. I'm surprised I shook his hand and thanked him without sounding like a fool.

I wasn't going to ask him anything, especially about Tintin, wrong time and place. And you wouldn't have said anything if I hadn't taken the initiative! :lol:

The Poseidon Adventure:

I must say, it starts out pretty darn boring. I like the "Main Titles," and there's some interesting stuff going on, but I see this is a very fitting companion to None but the Brave. Except for the last few cues--"End Titles" are absolutely fantastic. The source music (I'm assuming, I haven't read the liner notes yet) is really fun to listen to, I love how LLL left a track with Williams' correcting the orchestra on it! And the alternates are definitely interesting to listen to. One of the main themes is very similar to the theme from ID4, funny since the two were released on the same day.

I like that motif too. It feels like you're in the desert or something. In fact the whole score seems to teleport the listener to different places: here's the jungle! here's the scary dark temple! etc

Agreed, both about that secondary medallion/Ark motif and about the score as a whole. That's exactly what I like in a score - the ability to immediately transport me to a different time, place, mood, mindset, etc.

The Poseiden Adventure by John Williams: I had not listened to this score much before getting the La-La Land Records release so this is another case (much like with Black Sunday) where I feel that I am listening to a completely new JW score. Phobic, tense and scary, very effective and quite enjoyable and surprisingly thematic. Needs a few more listens but I like it already.

Lost Season 3 soundtrack by Michael Giacchino: This is my second favourite Lost soundtrack thusfar (have not heard season 5 yet though) after season 4. Great variety and engaging cues. The complete season finale score presented on disc 2 is not perhaps as epic as season 4 but is by no means a bad one.

One of the main themes is very similar to the theme from ID4, funny since the two were released on the same day.

Yes that's been a running joke/observation for years. In fact I did point out the irony on the 20th when both were released.

I also noticed the copied theme used in ID4. When I listened to Poseidon Adventure initially, I was like "Negative! Target remains!"

Today I did Jaws, CE3K, TPM, Hook, JP, Home Alone and COS.

One of the main themes is very similar to the theme from ID4, funny since the two were released on the same day.

Yes that's been a running joke/observation for years. In fact I did point out the irony on the 20th when both were released.

I hate it when composers steal themes from the future.

Independence Day Complete Original Motion Picture Soundtrack by David Arnold: Arrived today. I have listened to it once through. Excellent. Indeed excellent. ;)

The Poseidon Adventure by John Williams: Another listen. I am liking this more and more. :lol:

Independence Day Complete Original Motion Picture Soundtrack by David Arnold: Arrived today. I have listened to it once through. Excellent. Indeed excellent. ROTFLMAO

:)

Raiders of the Lost Ark by John Williams: I listened to this after a fairly long break. Somehow it always feels marvellously fresh and exciting and even more so when you have not heard it in a few months.

Well, that was quick. Out of my SE phase and back to good old:

swtrilogy.jpg

Great pick.

I've still been too lazy to load either the Anthology or the SE's onto my iPod. So far it's only TB's prequels, the Gerhardts, and Dark Forces. I know many people cull the Anthology for the better sounding cues to mix with the SE, but I refuse to. Sometimes I want to listen to the SE's and sometimes I want to listen to the Anthology.

I just haven't decided if I want to keep Disc 4 of the Anthology separate, or split it up to send most of its tracks to their reasonably proper places in the three movies (without cutting up any other combined tracks). When I copied my discs to cassette back in 1998, that's how I made them, so it's how I best know the Anthology and is how I have the files organized on my computer from when I made MP3 discs. I'm wagering on just making a playlist if I want to re-examine the "listening experience" of the box as it was.

I need to find a new anthology booklet to replace the one that is framed and untouchable now.

I also need to load the anthology on to iTunes, I guess.

Come to think of I haven;t even ripped the anthology to my computer yet .Except The Final Duel-Into the Death Star

:)

Night Crossing - Goldsmith

Honey I Shrunk The Kids - Horner

Exodus - Gold

The Cowboys - Williams

Mutiny On The Bounty - Kaper

I listened to two scores I wasn't really familiar with.

Capricorn One (Collector's Choice) by Jerry Goldsmith. Brilliant! No further comments needed. Is it a different recording than the one from the film?

License to Kill by Michael Kamen. I really like this one, probably moreso than David Arnold's efforts. I wish it got a proper release.

Karol

Capricorn One (Collector's Choice) by Jerry Goldsmith. Brilliant! No further comments needed. Is it a different recording than the one from the film?

It's one of those "original re-recordings" typical for the 70s. Break Out is actually a combination of several film cues, if I remember correctly. The Intrada release of the original score contains a bonus tracke which edits Break Out from the original cues.

I'm getting ready to go to Hawaii for a week, so I re-ripped all my John Williams in lossless for the iPod. I listened to Sabrina all the way through (probably for the first time) Man, that's some nice stuff. I feel classier when I listen to it.

The second score on Intrada's JAG. Wonderful stuff with a great main theme. Only listened to a few tracks from Broughton's score, which seems much more lively but just as good.

I'll definitely pick this up next time I order from Intrada.

Lost Season 5 Soundtrack by Michael Giacchino

The Wolfman by Danny Elfman

I've spent the last 2 days listening to Robocop, I'd never heard it before the Intrada release. It's really an awesome score, it'll be getting quite a few plays in the future!

I can't wait to hear Poseidon Adventure and ID4...but I've still got about 15 discs in my cue before I get to them..

...not to knock those 15 other discs, because I'm very excited to hear all of them!