What is the last score you listened to?

Mr. Breathmask

A.I. - Artificial Intelligence

Spun it after watching the film again. What a lovely, lovely score. I actually think this album presentation is pretty good as well. I like the start of the CD with The Mecha World from the Manhattan scenes. It doesn't make you wait until the very end for the For Always theme. What does the academy promo offer that's not on the OST?

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm listening the Complete Recordings from Lord of the Rings for the fisrt time. I've finished disc one. It's as good as I remembered it from the OST if not better. But it feels like it never ends. I've got 9 more CDs ahead...

A.I. - Artificial Intelligence

Spun it after watching the film again. What a lovely, lovely score. I actually think this album presentation is pretty good as well. I like the start of the CD with The Mecha World from the Manhattan scenes. It doesn't make you wait until the very end for the For Always theme. What does the academy promo offer that's not on the OST?

There's about 50 more minutes that's not on the original album.

Any standout cues or sequences in particular?

Several.

The one that Mark mentioned, the prelude to 'abandoned in the woods' with more iterations of that theme.

The whole score is a must.

And it contains several renditions of that gorgeous piano theme (is it David's theme), that cannot be heard once in the OST. It's one of my all time favorite themes

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial: 20th Anniversary Edition

Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom

Empire Of The Sun

Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade

Always

Stripes by Elmer Bernstein

Superb score. It's actually more of just a theme repeated over and over, but it's so damn good and infectious that it doesn't matter. Bernstein had a way with themes that no other composer did.

It's certainly better than a lot of what he's done - and more importantly, it's good in a different way than a lot of what he's done, probably making it more palatable to the ears of your average John Williams fan. There are certainly some strong stereotypical MV tendencies in the unreleased action music, though, with certain passages sounding very familiar to Backdraft and Drop Zone. (And others, I'm sure. Heck, there's even a part where I swear a theme from Crimson Tide comes through.)

And it contains several renditions of that gorgeous piano theme (is it David's theme), that cannot be heard once in the OST. It's one of my all time favorite themes

That theme seems to refer more to the idea of a lost child and missing him or rather a yearning love for a child (associated with Monica and Doctor Hobby) and it is an absolutely gorgeous theme, stated numerous times in the film but strangely and sadly left off the OST album.

Another highlight is a cue called David and the Supermecha which contains a beautiful harp duet and development of the Blue Fairy's theme.

It does feature the complete cue to Rouge City that contains "Der Rosenkavalier".

Here's the track listing to compare:

http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/catalog/soundtrackdetail.php?movieid=35733

You are right, Mark, the score is great, and should be listened to on the 2-disc set.

Does anyone know where to get the "Dr. Know" music, and/or the film version of "The Mecha World"?

It's certainly better than a lot of what he's done - and more importantly, it's good in a different way than a lot of what he's done, probably making it more palatable to the ears of your average John Williams fan. There are certainly some strong stereotypical MV tendencies in the unreleased action music, though, with certain passages sounding very familiar to Backdraft and Drop Zone. (And others, I'm sure. Heck, there's even a part where I swear a theme from Crimson Tide comes through.)

I don't hear any Backdraft in there. Drop Zone, possibly, since it was composed in the same year. Crimson Tide came after.

[i don't hear any Backdraft in there.

When Pumbaa shows up to save the day in the final battle. I actually like that moment, mind you - it's very tongue-in-cheek and almost self-referential.

Crimson Tide came after.

But a lot more people know what you're talking about if you mention the themes from Crimson Tide, rather than the synth trumpet melody that plays while Mufasa saves Simba from the hyenas in the elephant graveyard. ;)

It does feature the complete cue to Rouge City that contains "Der Rosenkavalier".

Sadly it sounds as atrocious as the OST. Shawn Murphy's "finest hour", indeed...

Empire Of The Sun

Always

Ah yes, you are making your way through all the Spielberg/Williams scores in order, right? What were your thoughts on this batch?

Stripes by Elmer Bernstein

Superb score. It's actually more of just a theme repeated over and over, but it's so damn good and infectious that it doesn't matter. Bernstein had a way with themes that no other composer did.

Yea! Its quite underrated. The whole CD is fun.

The Untouchables (Ennio Morricone): I'm dissapointed.

Beyond Borders (James Horner): there are some lovely cues in there.

Shores' Lord of the Rings Complete Recordings Disc 2: it feels more boring than the first one, but there are GREAT cues like Gilraen's Memorial or Balin's Tomb

Disc 3: all the Lothlorien music is awesome.

Currently on Ponyo.

Empire Of The Sun

Always

Ah yes, you are making your way through all the Spielberg/Williams scores in order, right? What were your thoughts on this batch?

Well, since you asked!

It's odd that my love for Raiders grew (or rather just started) on this listen-through, and that my love for TOD and Last Crusade went down. I definitely didn't enjoy those as much, although each score has their highlights. I also still think "Scherzo For Motorcycle And Orchestra" is one of the best cues of the series.

I really loved some of the nice quieter passages in the first half of E.T., particularly "Toys." "The Magic Of Halloween" is where the album starts to pick up IMO, and from that point until the end it's pretty much a masterpiece.

Empire Of The Sun has always been a top Williams score for me, and this listen just reinforces that.

Always starts out nice and lovely, but then it treads into the boring category. A decent score, probably not as bad as many claim it is, but definitely not Williams' finest hour.

I'm currently on their 90s collaborations, which take an interesting turn from the 80s, and will report back when I'm done with those.

OK I really have to check out Empire Of The Sun. It gets a lot of praise on this board and I've never listened to the OST (or seen the film; But I have heard the tracks on the Spielberg/Williams Sony CDs)

Marc Streitenfeld's Robin Hood is really good, surprising as his music never really grabbed me prior to this.

The movie lets Marc's music develop and weave in and out of the many action set-pieces, which in itself is a refreshing change as we all know the it could've quite easily turned into generic wallpaper fluff.

There are some celtic elements with usage of uillean pipes which work well to evoke the period, a nice use of choral work and some genuinely thrilling action cues with driving strings and punctuated brass / percussion.

It's pointless comparing to Kamen & Korngold as the movie is a completely different approach, so a score in the idiom that has gone before wouldn't have worked at all. Marc's work deserves to stand up with those scores, whilst not achieving the same highs it at least is worthy of credit.

Chaac, yes Ponyo is a great listen isn't it. The first Joe Hisaichi score I heard all the way through, so i'll be investigating his many others.

- Tim

It's odd that my love for Raiders grew (or rather just started) on this listen-through, and that my love for TOD and Last Crusade went down. I definitely didn't enjoy those as much, although each score has their highlights. I also still think "Scherzo For Motorcycle And Orchestra" is one of the best cues of the series.

Good...I feel more confident in your sanity now! :P Although my interest in the Raiders score was limited when I would see the movie as a kid, I finally got around to buying the soundtrack once I became more of a Williams fan, and I was captivated. I rarely get into a score that fast. Hopefully, you'll reach that level of adoration for the score, too! :lol: TOD took longer for me to appreciate, but now I like it nearly as much as Raiders. TLC...erm, it has some glorious moments and some that just feel like rather tired late-80s-early-90s Williams underscore.

Marc Streitenfeld's Robin Hood is really good, surprising as his music never really grabbed me prior to this.

The movie lets Marc's music develop and weave in and out of the many action set-pieces, which in itself is a refreshing change as we all know the it could've quite easily turned into generic wallpaper fluff.

There are some celtic elements with usage of uillean pipes which work well to evoke the period, a nice use of choral work and some genuinely thrilling action cues with driving strings and punctuated brass / percussion.

It's pointless comparing to Kamen & Korngold as the movie is a completely different approach, so a score in the idiom that has gone before wouldn't have worked at all. Marc's work deserves to stand up with those scores, whilst not achieving the same highs it at least is worthy of credit.

Now I'm really looking forward to this one. As I've said before, his last two scores for Scott each had something interesting going on. I'm looking forward to hearing his work in a movie that has a bigger place for it.

- Tim

But the Kamen score isn't great shakes, anyway. It shouldn't be too hard to top it. The soundclips were a bit on the generic side, lots of MV and processed string ostinati...has it good themes?

I don't think Kamen's score is great, either, but it's got a magnificent main titles. The themes is actually the part I'm least worried about. I've liked Streitenfeld's themes. I haven't heard the soundclips, but an overly MV sound is what I'm worried about. My fear is that it's going to be dominated by cheap-sounding percussion, moaning women and duduks.

I wasn't aware of that much left off the album of Inglorious Basterds. A couple of Morricone pieces (including Battle of Algiers)...what's in there?

I wasn't aware of that much left off the album of Inglorious Basterds. A couple of Morricone pieces (including Battle of Algiers)...what's in there?

From the film's production notes (album titles in bold):

1. "THE GREEN LEAVES OF SUMMER"

written by Dimitri Tiomkin, Paul Francis Webster

performed by Nick Perito & His Orchestra

Courtesy of Capitol Records

under license from EMI Film & Television Music

2. "THE VERDICT” (“Dopo la condanna”)

written by Ennio Morricone

performed by Ennio Morricone

courtesy of EMI Music Publishing Italia srl

3. “L’INCONTRO CON LA FIGLIA”

courtesy of GDM Music S.r.l. on behalf of Universal Music Publishing Ricordi S.r.l.

4. "WHITE LIGHTNING (Main Title)”

written by Charles Bernstein

performed by Charles Bernstein

(from the motion picture “White Lightning”)

used through the courtesy of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Music Inc.

5. "IL MERCENARIO (ripresa)"

6. “SLAUGHTER”

written by Billy Preston

performed by Billy Preston

courtesy of A&M Records under license from Universal Music Enterprises

7. "ALGERI: 1 NOVEMBRE 1954" (Battle of Algiers)

written by Ennio Morricone, Gillo Pontecorvo

orchestra conducted by Bruno Nicolai

courtesy of CAM Cine TV Music, Inc./BMG Ricordi Music Publishing Spa

8. "AL DI LA' DELLA LEGGE"

written by Riziero Ortolani

performed by Riz Ortolani

courtesy of IDM Music Ltd obo GDM Music S.r.l. on behalf of Universal Music Publishing Ricordi S.r.l.

9. "CLAIRE'S FIRST APPEARANCE"

written by Jacques Loussier

performed by Jacques Loussier

courtesy of Warner Bros. Entertainment

10. "THE FIGHT"

11. "THE SURRENDER" (“La resa”)

12. “ONE SILVER DOLLAR” (Un Dollaro Bucato)

written by Gianni Ferrio

performed by The Film Studio Orchestra

courtesy of Victor Entertainment, Inc., Japan.

13. “HOUND CHASE (Intro)”

(from the motion picture “White Lightning”)

Used through the courtesy of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Music Inc.

14. “BATH ATTACK”

courtesy of Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation

15. "DAVON GEHT DIE WELT NICHT UNTER"

written by Bruno Balz, Michael Jary

performed by Zarah Leander

from the film “Die Grosse Liebe”

16. "THE MAN WITH THE BIG SOMBRERO"

written by Phil Boutelje, Foster Carling

performed by Samantha Shelton and Michael Andrew

inspired by the original recording by June Havoc

17. "ICH WOLLT ICH WAER EIN HUHN"

written by Hans-Fritz Beckmann, Peter Kreuder

performed by Lilian Harvey, Willy Fritsch

courtesy of EMI Music Germany under license from EMI Film & Television Music

18. "MAIN THEME"

19. "CAT PEOPLE (Putting Out The Fire)”

written by David Bowie, Giorgio Moroder

performed by David Bowie

courtesy of Universal Studios, Inc.

20. “MYSTIC AND SEVERE”

courtesy of GDM Music S.r.l. on behalf of Universal Music Publishing Ricordi S.r.l.

21. “THE DEVIL’S RUMBLE”

written by Davie Allan and Mike Curb

performed by Davie Allan and The Arrows

(from the motion picture “Devil’s Angels”)

courtesy of Curb Records, Inc.

22. “WHAT’D I SAY”

written by Ray Charles

Performed by Rare Earth

courtesy of Motown Records

under license from Universal Music Enterprises

23. "ZULUS"

written by Elmer Bernstein

performed by Elmer Bernstein conducting the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

courtesy of Cerberus Records/Cerberus Productions

24. "TIGER TANK"

written by Lalo Schifrin

25. “EASTERN CONDORS”

composed by Chung Ting Yat

ownership Creative Entertainment

26. "UN AMICO"

courtesy of EMI General Music srl

27. "RABBIA E TARANTELLA"

The EASTERN CONDORS track is the only one I haven't found.

Chaac, yes Ponyo is a great listen isn't it. The first Joe Hisaichi score I heard all the way through, so i'll be investigating his many others.

- Tim

I'd recommend Princess Mononoke, both the original album and the Symphonic Suite CD.

- Tim

I'd recommend Princess Mononoke, both the original album and the Symphonic Suite CD.

I'd add HANA-BI aka FIREWORKS to that.

- Tim

Interesting. I wasn't gonna bother to download, but now I'll definitely check it out

I don't think Kamen's score is great, either, but it's got a magnificent main titles. The themes is actually the part I'm least worried about. I've liked Streitenfeld's themes. I haven't heard the soundclips, but an overly MV sound is what I'm worried about. My fear is that it's going to be dominated by cheap-sounding percussion, moaning women and duduks.

Yea thats the thing... the main titles are so amazing, the rest of the score (at least on CD) never lives up. I'd certainly welcome a complete score release though, perhaps there's some good unreleased music that was left off the OST (been YEARS since i've seen the movie)

I haven't heard the soundclips, but an overly MV sound is what I'm worried about. My fear is that it's going to be dominated by cheap-sounding percussion, moaning women and duduks.

I hope it's not. I so hate duduks now.

Darío Marianelli's Agora would have been great without the duduks...

Poltergeist by Jerry Goldsmith

Believe me or not, I've never heard this one in full, only bits and pieces of it. Now that Sony re-released the expanded album I have a chance to sink my teeth into it. Goldsmith is someone whose music I discover very slowly, for some reason. This is awesome! I miss this kind of music in films. Beautiful from start to finish and some of the best fantasy/horror writing I've ever heard. :lol: But then again you all already know that. :P

Karol

Too bad you spent your money on the Sony re-release... FSM is currently working a 2CD set with the complete score, the original album arrangements, and never-before-heard alternates, all with improved sound coming later on this year.

Really? I wasn't aware of that. Ah well, at least it was cheap. :lol:

Which reminds me... I bought GNP Wrath of Khan three weeks before FSM's announcement of the new release. What should I buy next (or re-buy)... Hook or Dracula? :P

Karol

Really? I wasn't aware of that. Ah well, at least it was cheap. :P

Well that's good. Here's where Lukas Kendall announced it:

http://filmscoremont...mID=1&archive=0

Which reminds me... I bought GNP Wrath of Khan three weeks before FSM's announcement of the new release. What should I buy next (or re-buy)... Hook or Dracula? ;)

Hook! Hook! :lol:

HIGHLANDER. Official release please!

ROBIN HOOD. It's pretty good. Lots of atmospheric ethnic sounds, some powerful action beats and some lovely melodic sections. Quite harsh on occasion, I imagine it'll work well with Ridley's medieval style. Moaning woman only appears a couple of times. Thankfully doesn't sound too MV-ish. Wish it was longer as it went really quick (it's 50 minutes or so).

A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET by Steve Jablonsky. Garbage. Exactly what you'd expect a Michael Bay horror film to sound like. Boring, cliched, no surprises. And he's mangled Charles Bernstein's original theme into something barely recognizable. Horrific in all the wrong ways.