What is the last score you listened to?

Mr. Breathmask

Are you serious?

Every music CD released in any genre leaks to the internet. Its as certain as death and taxes

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you serious?

Every music CD released in any genre leaks to the internet. Its as certain as death and taxes

Yes, I was genuinely interested in seeing if it was legally available for download.

Are you serious?

Yes, I was genuinely interested in seeing if it was legally available for download.

Well I believe the U.S. street-date is today, so I imagine it should be on Amazon or iTunes.

I dunno if it is or not. I'm sure your google powers are as strong as mine!:thumbup:

I know Lost Season 5 was on iTunes before the CD was in the stores, but I did a quick check on my iPhone for RH and didn't see it

I'm listening to it. There are cool cues. But it feels strange somehow. I'll have to see the film (though I was going to see it anyway... I'm a sucker for historical or pseudo-historical films that include battles and stuff :thumbup: )

King of Kings is available at a decent price again though, right? It doesn't concern me, since I own a copy, but it really is an amazing score that should be available.

Did you guys get a CD of Robin Hood or is there a digital download available?

(at least on iTunes or Amazon).

key words

Not that I want to even bother listening to this

Indiana Jones IV. One of the lesser JW scores that nevertheless is always better than I remember it being.

The Italian Job (Powell). Niftly little score. Has a nice Schifrin vibe to it.

Troy (Horner). In 3 weeks, Horner put together a score that I enjoy more than most of the scores he spends 10 month on. This is one of my 'Hornerisms be damned, I like it' scores. Love stuff like 'The Greek Army and its Defeat'.

Legend

It's awesome.

It's very atmospheric, melodic and deep. Requires some patience if one doesn't like prominent synths.

To me, it's a sister score to Poltergeist II: The Other Side, and you can hear its seeds in The Secret of NIMH.

Did you guys get a CD of Robin Hood or is there a digital download available?

(at least on iTunes or Amazon).

key words

Not that I want to even bother listening to this

Shame, since it's an excellent score.

Avatar - Now that I've been able to hear EVERYTHING Horner wrote, I am wowed by this. I found a video online where they took the music Horner actually wrote for the War sequence and put it in where all the tracked material was. I was astonished. Not only was the material excellent, but there was no need for tracked material because it all fit in perfectly. Cameron, I don't understand you... Particularly the part of "Quaritch Down" that was tracked over. I was blown away by it. This score is still one of Horner's best, imo, and the best of last year.

Sherlock Holmes - At first, I hated this score. But it has surprisingly grown on me. The Zimmerisms which usually bring down his scores are surprisingly absent. Sure, you can hear his style, but it serves the score rather than detract from it. Having gone and watched the movie again, I think the score functions excellently in it, better than most. IMO, 3rd best of last year, and one of my favorites by Zimmer.

The Painted Veil - I honestly don't know how this wasn't up for best score. It was way better than Babel. Desplat's work is really unique here. I love it!

The Ghost Writer - This score is much less interesting to me. Much of it is boring, with a few exceptions. I will say it's my favorite score so far this year simply because of "The Truth about Ruth"

Indiana Jones IV. One of the lesser JW scores that nevertheless is always better than I remember it being.

Yes, as long as you go a while between listens I find it pretty enjoyable. Too often and it gets old real quick, though.

I've hardly stopped listening to ID4 since I got it. Been on a Final Fantasy run, too.

Robin Hood by Marc Streitenfeld

I bought it immidiately after going out of cinema. I liked some bits from the movie, but the music wasn't really audible so I decided to give it a try. And even though it is kind of a typical epic score nowadays there is quite a lot of decent music in here. Nothing groundbreaking or anything, just a very pleasant 51 album. Yes, it is a mostly a modern action score, but there is much more clarity to the writing. The music feels much more assured and has actually some purpose. Some people say there are wailing vocals here. Well...not exactly. It's more of a Celtic/New Age stuff. Quite fitting for this film, really. It's good.

If there is one thing that bothers me in this case is the heroic writing, much like the usual heroic music in these types of things. I believe one FSM podcast referred to this as "MV adeventure theme". It's kind of like that. Not too inspired.

Karol

La-La Land's complete score for Independence Day was my recent full listening of a score then was FSM's complete score for Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan. Great albums that get a lot of play time, especially the final battle cues from ID-4. I really can't wait for FSM to release the complete score for Star Trek III: The Search For Spock.

I'm hoping that it will see a release soon. It's the only Williams album I don't have the original CD for.

I know Super Collector had planned to release it at one point, before they closed shop.

La-La Land's complete score for Independence Day was my recent full listening of a score then was FSM's complete score for Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan. Great albums that get a lot of play time, especially the final battle cues from ID-4.

:lol: on both counts.

Spacecamp. A nice little score, and another one I'd really like to see get at least a reissue, if not an expansion.

It's basically missing one 45 second cue...but it's a cool one

Robin Hood by Marc Streitenfeld

I liked some bits from the movie, but the music wasn't really audible so I decided to give it a try.

it was loud as hell .the reason it's not noticeable it's because it's not very good

Other than ID4 and running through my Final Fantasys, I've been obsessed lately with the latter MoHs that I used to didn't listen to as often as the first couple- Frontline and Airborne. I'm having a harder and harder time "ranking" the MoHs and just starting to see them as one glorious whole. Which I don't think is a bad thing.

Michael Giacchino - Up (C&C Promo)

The definitive way to listen to this score. I love the inclusion of the wedding march and habanera. Don't have much new to say about the score except that it's great :lol:

Alex North - Dragonslayer

I actually liked this a lot! And I REALLy want to see the film now. Tried to order the CD after this listen but its out of stock at movie music

John Williams - The Poseidon Adventure (La La Land)

My first experience with this score. The main/end titles were nice, and the underscore had a few highlights... but my favorite track was the alternate main titles. Never heard a Williams cue like it. I loved it! My second favorite track was Auld Lang Syne, because of getting to hear Williams talk to the orchestra in between performances. That was GREAT and I hope more of our labels get to put stuff like that out there. The other source music and songs were nothing I'd listen to more than once in a great while

Hans Zimmer, etc - The Rock (alternates, demos, etc)

Nice to hear once but really after hearing all the various expanded editions, I am starting to lean back towards thinking the OST is the best listening experience for this score

Christopher Young - Spider-Man 2 (additional music)

Good stuff. I'm glad to finally know what was Elfman's and what was Young's in the film (haven't paid close attention to the OST much)

Howard Shore - The Two Towers (OST)

First time listening to the OST in a while, usually listen to the complete recordings. I had forgotten how well assembled this is. Sure it misses some highlights - but honestly not many - and is completely out of chronological order and full of microedits - but it WORKS. I was also surprised to realize that the Gandalf The White theme appears on the OST 3 times (which is pretty much EVERY appearance of it in TTT)... its just funny to think that a major theme like the History Of The Ring was only on the FOTR OST once, etc.

Michael Giacchino - Lost (Season 5 OST)

Well, I've listened to this twice now, and it just hasn't "grabbed" me. It gets better by the end, but I guess the problem is just that he picked too many slower, quieter tracks and didn't balance them out with enough action-y, theme-heavy tracks. Oh well. Someday I might investigate the rear channels of the dvd/blu ray and see what I can find. Actually, i wouldn't be surprised if a 2CD "more music from lost" comes out after the (hopefully 2CD) Season 6 OST.

I've also been listening to plenty of Independence Day at random times :)

First time listening to the OST in a while, usually listen to the complete recordings. I had forgotten how well assembled this is. Sure it misses some highlights - but honestly not many - and is completely out of chronological order and full of microedits - but it WORKS. I was also surprised to realize that the Gandalf The White theme appears on the OST 3 times (which is pretty much EVERY appearance of it in TTT)... its just funny to think that a major theme like the History Of The Ring was only on the FOTR OST once, etc.

I'm happy with the OSTs. Never bothered with the Complete Recordings.

I'd like to make an edit somewhere in-between. The CRs are brilliant sets, but there's just too much for me to listen to in one sitting (and they're not cheap). And I prefer some of the OST tracks.

I'm happy with the OSTs. Never bothered with the Complete Recordings.

TTT OST is the single best LOTR album out there. And no, I don't care for sequencing. From the standpoint of the pure listening expierence this one is the best.

Karol

Since buying the CR's, I've never touched the OST's.

Same here. They've never felt too long to me, especially once I finally turned around on TTT.

Robin Hood. On the one hand, it isn't the interesting score I hopes it would be. On the other hand, it isn't as bad as I feared it might be. On all hands, though, it is one fucking boring listen.

Lost 5 is boring, for some reason. Interesting material here and there, but is missing some better bits. It (the album) doesn't seem to have any flow at all. Even Season 2 was better listen (at least for the first 14 tracks). Disappointing.

Karol

Its annoying because I remember lots of good music while watching season 5. Giacchino just seems to have pulled a Williams on which cues to include on the OST

That's true. It's exactly the opposite to what happened to last season's OST. I didn't remember much music from season 4, but the album turned out to be the strongest one. As for season 6 I don't know whether it is a good idea to have 2 CD's. I prefer tighter listening expierence. That is why I never listen to the second disc of season 3 OST.

Karol

Since buying the CR's, I've never touched the OST's.

I still have them and I put them on iTunes as well.

There are times when I'm in the mood for LOTR Lite.

Yea the season 4 OST turned out really great. I think a 2disc Season 6 OST would be fine. Disc one of highlights from LA X through What They Died For, disc two complete finale score.

There's a lot of good stuff on the second disc of S3 OST. Maybe make a custom playlist of the best cues from both discs?

It's pretty safe to assume that, yes.

There's a lot of good stuff on the second disc of S3 OST. Maybe make a custom playlist of the best cues from both discs?

I did. And I was talking more about the album presentation. It is a poor one if I have to re-arrange it myself. The "Greatest Hits" part of the disc is fine. As is the opening long cue from the finale. But I loose interest after that.

Karol

Can you you lose interest when those great versions of Penny's theme come in later in the disc? Sure the Traveling Theme variations get repetitive, but some of them are really great and keep the momentum going