What is the last score you listened to?

Mr. Breathmask

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So do I, but it's repeated so many times on that album, I think that's all the album really contains. If it were longer than 40 minutes, I'd about go berserk.

If this came from Varese, the fanboys would be screaming for Townson's head on a plate. But LaLaLand does a streamlined album and not a peep.

Although I truthfully do not know how much music was composed for the film and I gave the liner notes a once over and have completely forgotten anything that was written in them.

If this came from Varese, the fanboys would be screaming for Townson's head on a plate. But LaLaLand does a streamlined album and not a peep.

Maybe because when La-La Land releases an album, MOST of the time they get it right? :)

Independence Day, Godzilla...both albums together are a bit better produced than what Varèse did for Star Trek.

When I watched the film from Nate and Hayes/Savage Islands (choose whichever title you want),

I seem to have noticed the actual film opening music not being on the score release.

Additionally, although I do like all the themes of it, there seems to be a LOT of repetition going on.

Especially the action cues reuse the same music all the time.

I do like the music, but it'd have been better if different action scenes had different music.

As nice as it is, Cutthroat Island it is not.

Yea, the La La Land CD is an "album presentation" of the score, not their standard Complete and Chronological release. They were contractually obligated to do it that way.

Ah, that at least explains why that was missing.

It doesn't explain the repetition, though I suppose it was composed that way.

They might've selected some of the more different-sounding music though, such as that opening, instead of the action music repetition.

Still, I'm not complaining and I'm glad there's at least something.

I had already gotten the main theme from the End Credits, but I had been missing that action music, which I actually do really like.

Anything else is a bonus as far as I'm concerned.

The A-Team (abridged, cutting out the rock elements)

Nice listen, and the theme is well integrated. Nothing to write home about though.

Too bad, I had been looking forward to that one.

The A-Team (abridged, cutting out the rock elements)

Nice listen, and the theme is well integrated. Nothing to write home about though.

Too bad, I had been looking forward to that one.

It's a notch above G. I. JOE, but on the whole, bland summer fare - don't expect 80's fun, it's run-of-the-mill orchestral action. Which is a double disappointment, since we got some great scores this year and it would've been a great continuation.

John Williams - Far And Away (OST)

Something I picked up a few months back on the cheap to try to fill the holes in my Williams collection. Listened to it while playing Mario Kart the other night and enjoyed it quite a bit! I love how Williams can cover so many different genres (bringing in the Irish for this one), and they all sound different, but they all have that distinctive Williams-ness, ya know? I'll have to dig up the boot for this score; The OST seemed fairly short.

Chris Tilton and Chad Seiter - Fringe (OST)

Not as good as the LOST or ALIAS CDs, but an enjoyable listen. My favorite tracks are "Masters Of The Multiverse" and "Reiden Out The Storm"

The complete score for Star Trek Nemesis. It had been a while since I have heard it and forgotten how fun and good it is.

It is certainly better than the film.

What are your thoughts on United 93, Basil?

It wasn't as good as United 92.

Listening to Ryan Shore's ARTICLES OF WAR. This kid is gonna get very far in the film music world.

The Temple of Doom by John Williams

Chicken Run by John Powell & Harry Gregson Williams

The Two Towers by Howard Shore

Star Trek (Deluxe Edition)

Wonderful.

I haven't stopped. Well actually tomorrow I will as my SAE package has arrived, plus my Amazon one did with the Williams 3 disc set.

Mine should be here tomorrow.

Sleepy Hollow: I rarely listen to this. For some reason the score looses all its appeal after track ten.

I also listened to Metallica's S&M. I just love what Michael Kamen did with some of these. Though it must be said I'm not listening to the actual album, but the rip of the orchestra only audio track from the DVD. The CD album doesn't quite showcase the arrangements the way it should. You just can't hear most of his input. Pity, becuase its brilliant!

Karol

Though it must be said I'm not listening to the actual album, but the rip of the orchestra only audio track from the DVD. The CD album doesn't quite showcase the arrangements the way it should. You just can't hear most of his input. Pity, becuase its brilliant!

Karol

Wow, that makes me want to get these.

Before you do so you have to know this is not "isolated" music in the strict sense. Yes, everything else is dialed out, but you can still hear the audience noise and some bits of the band. But that's alright because you can still hear what Kamen was trying to achieve.

Karol

In the last two days:

Star Trek (MG)

STII: The Wrath Of Khan (JH)

The Prince Of Egypt (HZ)

I Am Legend (JNH)

How To Train Your Dragon (JP)

JP: The Lost World (JW)

Jaws (JW)

E.T. The Extraterrestrial (JW)

This past weekend:

Jaws by John Williams: In the honour of the film's 35th birthday :)

The Lost World: Jurassic Park by John Williams

Indiana Jones and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull by John Williams

Lady in the Water by James Newton Howard

The Village by James Newton Howard

The Last Airbender by James Newton Howard

SW Episode II Attack of the Clones by John Williams

SW Episode III Revenge of the Sith by John Williams

None But the Brave by John Williams

The Witches of Eastwick by John Williams

L.A. Confidential by Jerry Goldsmith

Everything in ESB up through "The Asteroid Field", while driving to and from Disneyland this evening. My GOODNESS, what an utterly top-notch score. Hearing it through a different sound system drew my attention to the music itself again, and this is one score that I know I will never tire of. The whole Battle of Hoth sequence is probably the best action music sequence I've ever heard...but then Williams follows it up with "The Asteroid Field", which is also probably the best action music sequence I've ever heard. The new themes are fantastic (and persistently iconic in pop culture, in the Imperial March's case), the uses of old themes are brilliantly fresh and original yet respectful to Star Wars, and all the non-thematic music shares the same jaw-dropping quality level. This is film scoring at its finest, and I love being reminded of that by listening to it in a different context than I normally do.

Now I gotta listen to Raiders...sometime...

I miss Kamen greatly, moreso than Goldsmith.

I tried and tried, but this is one composer i never have been able to connect to. I have 2 cues from BAND OF BROTHERS and one cue form HIGHLANDER (quoting the Queen song, naturally) and that's about it.

I just listen to Saint-Saëns: Organ Symphony and Carnival of Animals (I don't know how one keeps different albums apart when all the albums have such generic names).

I thought it was mostly great. The Organ Symphony is really nice. So is "Samson Et Dalila" and "Suite Algerienne." This is the second recording of "Danse Macabre" that I own, and I didn't like the slower tempo. It made it seem much more plodding, as opposed to an image of the lively dancing skeletons the piece is supposed to conjure. "Carnival of Animals" was nice also. I think that of all the classical pieces I've heard (and that's not very many), this one has the most in common with film scores. Each movement is not 30 minutes long, like some pieces. And since each movement is supposed to be musically describing a specific group of animals, it is much easier to associate this music with something tangible (not that films scores can't be oriented around abstract concepts, but there is always the onscreen action if one doesn't make the deeper connections to connect with). And there was even some self-plagarism! The xylophone lick in "Fossils" was taken from "Danse Macabre." Also, I noticed that "Aquarium" was the source of the wonderful trailer music used in the Benjamin Button teaser.

I also listened to Metallica's S&M. I just love what Michael Kamen did with some of these. Though it must be said I'm not listening to the actual album, but the rip of the orchestra only audio track from the DVD. The CD album doesn't quite showcase the arrangements the way it should. You just can't hear most of his input. Pity, becuase its brilliant!

Karol

S&M is one of my favorite Metallica albums.

Also, I noticed that "Aquarium" was the source of the wonderful trailer music used in the Benjamin Button teaser.

Yup, it's an amazing piece. Terrence Malick pretty much made it the main theme for Days Of Heaven.

Speed 2: Cruise Control (La La Land)

Great release full of fun action music. Not sure why they left out some of the slower tracks that would have helped break up the sometimes similar action tracks. Especially since they were all selected by Mancina himself to be on the promo he put together. Odd.

Yea that's about how i'd summarize it after my first listen as well ;)

Someday I'll listen to it again...

I actually haven't gotten around to giving it a second listen either. Though that's in large part due to the weight of everything else that's come out recently.

I've listened to it once or twice, but it was on my computer and as background music to a game I was playing sans music. I haven't gotten around to tagging it and asking it to board my iPod. But I did like it, what I remember of it.

I just listened to Star Trek III d1. I'm glad the second disc was included because a) I don't "own" it, and b) several of the album tracks differ from the film tracks, so d2 can be considered a disc of mostly alternates. There is some repetition, but at least they included the Group 87 song. I do like it.

Unforgettable: Really nice album. I look forward to getting to know it more, because I think there are some real goosebump potentials on this CD. "Unforgettable" was outstanding. The good thing is these types of Boston Pops compilations are usually pretty accessible, so I don't think it will take much for me to really feel comfortable with these pieces. And the cover art is fantastic, minus the Sony logo.

50275453.jpg

The Best of Rimsky-Korsakov: Another great album. I got it for movement 4 of Scheherazade, but there seem to be many other gems. Although movement 4 is quite a thrill to listen to.