The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

Read this on Wikipedia's bootleg page:

During this period, composer Jerry Goldsmith became well-known for physically smashing bootleg CDs presented to him to sign.

That'd be a sight. Anyone ever see this happen? Anyone have it happen to them?

I'd say that'd be one of those "don't believe everything you read on Wikipedia" moments.

I did think of that, but Goldsmith can be loveable irritable sometimes. And he certainly seemed to like being in control of how the music of his that was out there was presented (not saying that there's anything wrong with that at all, quite the opposite).

During this period, composer Jerry Goldsmith became well-known for physically smashing bootleg CDs presented to him to sign.

It's a well-known rumour at least. Though really, if you're stupid enough to have a composer sign a CDR of his own music - especially Goldsmith, who never quite understood the die-hard collectors - you had it coming anyway.

Bruce Broughton was somewhat surprised by the artwork when a friend of mine gave him Lost in Space to sign - not the Intrada release of the full score, but the original album filled mostly with songs.

Read this on Wikipedia's bootleg page:

I saw J.G conduct at The Barbican at his 80th birthday concert, in 1999. Afterward, as we were queueing for his autograph (I got my vinyl copy of POTA signed), someone produced a bootleg c.d., at which point someone else said: "I wouldn't chance it, he's been known to stamp on bootlegs"...

Is anyone here familiar with a Polish composer who goes by the name of Henryk Górecki? And if so, can someone recommend a good "starting point" for his music (I have already listened to and enjoyed his Third Symphony)?

I wonder if JW does that if anyone asks him to sign the TPM UE.

No. He would have the good grace-and good manners-to sign it. What he might think in private, is, of course, up to him.

Either that or give you a puzzled look and say "When did this get released?"

I've never ordered from it, but I've heard very good things from other people. Trent is an especially loyal fan of that site, perhaps he could tell you more.

Do The Mummy & The Mummy Returns OSTs include the End Credits on them?

If not I'll just take them off the DVDs, but I'd rather not have to bother...

EDIT: Never mind, I think I already know the answers. ;)

Where is that JW documentary about E.T. on the 2 disc DVD? I'd like to watch a non YouTube version for once, but I can't find it on either disc...

Where is that JW documentary about E.T. on the 2 disc DVD? I'd like to watch a non YouTube version for once, but I can't find it on either disc...

It always amuses me when Williams calls the violins fiddles in this doc :P

It's only on the 3 disc box set.

Is Cast Away worth checking out on Blu-ray? I've never seen it but I like Tom Hanks (and Gilligan's Island). Zemeckis...well, the last live action film of his I saw was What Lies Beneath, and I didn't like that one at all.

It's only on the 3 disc box set.

That's strange, I have the 2 disc edition and it's on the second disc, I just click "Bonus" and then "The Music of John Williams". :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed the other day that the OST for Poledouris' Les Miserables is 49 mins, and the 28 track unmentionable that I have is only 3 minutes longer.

Does that mean that I have an incomplete boot, or that the OST has almost the entire score?

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the music in the A-TEAM trailer is Silvestri's?

I don't know, part of it sounds a little too generic for my tastes. A little too RCish. I would guess that it's just standard trailer music composed for the film.

I don't even think Silvestri has started scoring the film yet.

Quick question: Who's interested in the Apollo 13 promo score? 31 hours left, currently $7.38 including shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160398781719

If that's the real deal I'd say people should keep an eye on the auction.

I noticed the other day that the OST for Poledouris' Les Miserables is 49 mins, and the 28 track unmentionable that I have is only 3 minutes longer.

Does that mean that I have an incomplete boot, or that the OST has almost the entire score?

I don't know. I know the packaging on the CD has the wrong track listings / times. I think it makes the CD longer that it actually is.

You may have all the music. There was a 71 minute version, but that was full of suites and an end credit version that just contained the same material found on the original album.

I don't know what thread eBay watches should go into. I bought the real promo score a number of years ago so I don't need this one, and I don't subscribe to the school of "buy it on eBay to turn around and sell it again."

Didn't I create a thread where we could post findings on the net of rare CDs for cheap, to help those who may be looking for them? I'm pretty sure I did but don't remember what it's called. Anyway, thanks for the heads up Wojo.

Two quick questions...

1. Does JW attend premieres? On IMDb there are only photos of him at the premiere of "The Patriot" and the first "Harry Potter", but I wonder if he keeps attending to those.

2. Do celebrities go to the JW scoring sessions? I remember for SPR, Tom Hanks attended, but I want to know more.

Thanks in advance, as always! ;)

That Lost thread... I've avoided it over the last few months out of spoiler fears. Is it safe to read now provided I've seen the latest episode?

It's always safe to read assuming you've seen the most recently aired episodes. We only discuss what has aired openly; Any information about future episodes (including the previews that air immediately following a new episode) are put behind spoiler markers.

2. Do celebrities go to the JW scoring sessions? I remember for SPR, Tom Hanks attended, but I want to know more.

I cannot remember the details of where I saw it, Michael, but I am sure that Ewan McGregor attended the scoring sessions for The Phantom Menace. I believe that he was a decent horn player in his youth before concentrating on the old acting lark.

I cannot remember the details of where I saw it, Michael, but I am sure that Ewan McGregor attended the scoring sessions for The Phantom Menace. I believe that he was a decent horn player in his youth before concentrating on the old acting lark.

Film recommendation: Brassed Off.

It's a euphonium!

Film recommendation: Brassed Off.

It's a euphonium!

That may be so, Marian, but he definitely murdered the

in his youth. That ain't no euphonium! :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnJR5SBmli0

Those expressive strings playing the casablanca theme right after the opening...why can't a find them anywhere in the soundtrack? Was this passage written/arranged just for this medley?

the man gets a standing ovation... before starting.

He is the best and everybody knows ;)

Is there any difference in sound quality between This Lord of the Rings CD and This one?

I only have the second one, but I believe both are identical. The second one at least is seriously remastered compared to the original CD release, features 4 (I think) extra cues, at least one of which is worthwhile, and also has the correct sequencing. The original CD release had what has to be the worst track order of any soundtrack (and, confusingly, still listed the tracks in film order...when I first got it, it took me a while to figure out that the actual order was completely different).

PS: I love this review. Apparently someone was expecting the Shore score and after hearing the album, decided that this is a "Japanese reissue" which substitutes Shore's score for totally unrelated music. ;)

I only have the second one, but I believe both are identical.

Just to be clear, you are referring to the one with the LOTR Logo on the cover art , or the action scene artwork? Amazon lists both tracklists as identical.

The one with the logo and the Rosenman credit in white font on the lower left. Which in turn is identical to the original cover art of the first CD (and I imagine LP) release, except for the white text, which was added for the remastered release.