The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

In every instance that I've ordered from them, something happened that shouldn't have. My first purchase I believe was Medal Of Honor through their listing on Amazon Marketplace. They also had Underground for sale but at the time I could only afford one. I bought it, and received both in the mail. Free CD, I'm not complaining, but it technically shouldn't have happened.

My brother bought Texas Chainsaw Massacre from them, again I think it was through Amazon Marketplace or eBay. He received it well and fine, but a couple weeks later he received another copy. Free CD, whatever, he sold it on eBay.

Then there was the notorious time where I received a packaged from them, after it had been months since my last order. Inside was the 4CD John Barry Collection and the slip said it was charged and shipped to some lady in Michigan.

I never really understood the point of the ST VI aspect ratio. If not 2:35, why not 1:85? Whatever, it's Star Trek.

The reason that I asked was, that every "Star Trek" film, except "VI", has been filmed in 2.35. I seemed odd that "VI" didn't follow suit.

The aspect ration should be 2.20:1.

Thanks, Mark, and, indeed, everyone else. After reading up on Super 35, I understand why "VI" looks like 2:20, on DVD. But wait! "Evita" was filmed in Super 35, and it is 2:35.

The same thing happened with Top Gun, but the reason was that the cameras were too heavy for the jets. So it's not really 2.35:1.

I don't know why Nicholas Meyer filmed VI that way.

The same thing happened with Top Gun, but the reason was that the cameras were too heavy for the jets. So it's not really 2.35:1.

I don't know why Nicholas Meyer filmed VI that way.

Are you saying that some of the images from "Top Gun" were stretched, rather the mountain shots from "Blade Runner"?

According to the info at the time of the laserdisc release, the correct aspect ration should be around 2.20:1.

It was shot in Super 35 because the other cameras were too bulky for the jets. It's possible to be shown in 2.35:1 but that means there was some top and bottom cropping or perhaps side stretching.

Something I wanted to know for a while now about the exchange rate: if you pre-order something and your card gets charged when it ships:

what counts? the exchange rate on the day you ordered it, or the exchange rate on the date it gets charged?

And same question if one uses PayPal.

Anyone?

Julia Child was scheduled to make a cameo, serving a leopard thermidor aux crevettes with a sauce of lots and lots of butter and wine, served in the provencale manner with shallots and aubergines, but it was chopped.

Padma Lakshmi was too young at the time.

Something I wanted to know for a while now about the exchange rate: if you pre-order something and your card gets charged when it ships:

what counts? the exchange rate on the day you ordered it, or the exchange rate on the date it gets charged?

Anyone?

I have no idea, but Paypal transactions should be immediately withdrawn from your account. Whenever I've ordered stuff from Japan I get charged the price that was listed.

Julia Child was scheduled to make a cameo, serving a leopard thermidor aux crevettes with a sauce of lots and lots of butter and wine, served in the provencale manner with shallots and aubergines, but it was chopped.

Padma Lakshmi was too young at the time.

Obviously this post wasn't edited enough. :P

Anyone?

I have no idea, but Paypal transactions should be immediately withdrawn from your account. Whenever I've ordered stuff from Japan I get charged the price that was listed.

Yes, but paypal is differet beast altogether. I think the most sensible conclusion is that they charge at the rate when your order is completed. And it makes sense, really.

Karol

I just got The Mist on Blu-ray. Should I watch the color version or the black-and-white version first? The B&W was what Darabont originally wanted to do, right?

Yes! B and W is more enjoyable, as well.

So, I've just learned that Ron has a theme... Someone wrote on the internet that the little motif/theme/whatever-you-want that plays when Ron approaches the Sorting Hat, or when the Weasley's car appears to Harry at the beginning of CoS is his theme.

Is that official known as his theme, or did the person just made that up and this motif/theme/whatever-you-want is just a motif/theme/whatever-you-want not particularly related to the character (don't know if that appears elsewhere in the score) ?

The motif appears at 2:47 in

and at 1:22 in

The short melody does not appear anywhere else in the first film than the sorting ceremony and only once in the COS so I think that is a very loose connection to call it a theme per se. Could be that in JWs mind that particular moment stood out as somehow tied to Ron so he adapted it for the beginning of the film 2. In the same manner the Philosopher's Stone motif becomes an all purpose evil theme for the second film as it is adapted to just about every foreboding scene.

I did notice that that was attributed to Ron in both cases, so I think that it could be considered a nice little motif for Ron. But if you notice, it's simply a variation on "Hedwig's Theme".

I did notice that that was attributed to Ron in both cases, so I think that it could be considered a nice little motif for Ron. But if you notice, it's simply a variation on "Hedwig's Theme".

Not to mention the fact that the first HP score is bursting with these great incidental melodies. Williams weaves so many of them throughout the film.

0:00-2:22 is the unused cue listed as "Goat Bait," for the cue when they pass the Tyrannosaur paddock and see nothing but the goat. The rest is "Preparing to Meet the Monster," when Ellie and Muldoon go to the power shed.

It was indeed unused - well, everything up to 2:21. That part is the cue "Goat Bait", and it would have scored the scene when the goat is first brought out in the T-rex enclosure, but the T-rex doesn't show. They ended up not using it in the film, but apparently Williams liked it enough to include it on the OST. But the second half of that track is the cue "Preparing to Meet the Monster", which was written for and used in the scene when Ellie and Muldoon go out to the utility shed. EDIT: Bah, beaten to the punch! ;)

The track title on the CD should be called "Goat bait/Ellie and Muldoon go to the shed". "Eye to eye" doesn't explain what part of the movie it's from. That's what I dislike about a lot of soundtracks.