What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

On 05/04/2022 at 8:48 AM, AC1 said:

Are you watching it, Holko? I noticed that during episode 3 my mind was wandering, so much so, that I have the rewatch the whole episode. Everyone is constantly talking and worrying about Lila. Also, Elena still looks like a teen and not a succesful writer. Changing her hairstyle doesn't automatically make her one. Whatever it is that I loved about S1, it's no longer there. 

3 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Certainly as good as Season 1 and maybe the best one so far.

So as the Ischia episode was the weak part of S2, ep3's the weak part of this one?

6 minutes ago, Holko said:

So as the Ischia episode was the weak part of S2, ep3's the weak part of this one?

I rewatched episode 3 and liked it better this time. But it probably is the somewhat weaker episode of the season.  I was fearing the story was going into a certain direction but it turned out that wasn't the case at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Outer Range

outer_range_pl_0.jpg

I watched the two available episodes on Prime. It's watchable. The show seems to focus more on setting and the supernatural mystery than on its characters. 

Randomly watched Peacemaker. For the life of me I can't abide the unrelenting tidal wave of superhero media, but I admit I have maintained a curious penchant for the more offbeat "mature" efforts being made alongside the glossy Disney bombardments. This one was definitely worth it and I preferred it to the last season of The Boys. James Gunn undoubtedly has a good grasp of character dialogue which on the face of it is funny and irrelevant but is actually carefully crafted to tell a low-key alien invasion story with well drawn characters in a way which feels reasonably different and rowdy. Plus it has the most watchable/listenable opening credits sequence since The Orville. 

I preceded it with Suicide Squad, which was quite good but boring after an hour. 

On 08/04/2022 at 5:04 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Well, after finishing off both BROOKLYN NINE NINE (goofy, but fun), and THE RANCH (superb, in every way), me and my friend have decided to watch SCHITT'S CREEK.

It's a lot of fun, but it took us a while to get used to the underwritten, almost improvisational quality of the show.

It's good to see Chris Elliott, and, er...Stevie is nice, isn't she? :)

First 2 eps of Brooklyn Nine-Nine's eighth and final season are now on All4. The first one's insistence on dealing with BLM issues frankly grates a bit, but the second is B99 back to doing what it does best ... a talented, funny ensemble making the most of a 'zingy' script.   

4 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

First 2 eps of Brooklyn Nine-Nine's eighth and final season are now on All4. The first one's insistence on dealing with BLM issues frankly grates a bit, but the second is B99 back to doing what it does best ... a talented, funny ensemble making the most of a 'zingy' script.   

I've been meaning to watch that. I think I finished season 7 when that aired. S8 is shorter than a regular season right?

I'm watching Pennyworth. I'm a couple of episodes in. I'm shocked to find that I'm enjoying it (based almost entirely on the main character) and that it's not only not been canceled but they're making a third season!

It's hilarious that they gave Bruce's mother the maiden name Kane not only as an (undeserved) homage to the man who got all the money for Batman but also to give the lead actor the excuse to say "Kane" just like Michael Caine.

What's funny is that I'm totally the audience for this but they're making a show that is almost not for me. When have I been watching a spy flick or superhero show where I thought "You know, this is alright. But BOY I wish there was a lot more gore and swearing."

But I guess things like Deadpool and The Boys prove that this audience is out there.

Outer Range episode 3

outer-range-josh-brolin.jpg

Still watching. The show reminds me of something Damon Lindelof would make. I'm getting strong The Leftovers vibes. I wonder if a search on google might acknowledge my feelings? 

Searching .... googling ...

... Yep! I'm not the only one! 

43 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Outer Range episode 3

outer-range-josh-brolin.jpg

Still watching. The show reminds me of something Damon Lindelof would make. I'm getting strong The Leftovers vibes. I wonder if a search on google might acknowledge my feelings? 

Searching .... googling ...

... Yep! I'm not the only one! 

Leonardo Dicaprio Calvin Candie GIF

Into episode 12 of Ozark's last season and it's a farce at this point. A turgid sense of overplotting (to the point of disbelief in every episode), coupled with inadequate writing, and truly unlikeable characters make this a show that is not worth investing. Actually, the unlikeable characters may not necessarily be the issue, but they are so uninteresting and one-note. The only one character which I still somewhat feel for (and that's not saying much here) is Jason Bateman's character, who's walking through the proceedings with the question WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE perpetually plastered on his face. And that's by far the most relatable thing of this whole affair. 

Been watching Chernobyl. The first couple of episodes are unreal, they're so well done! The pervading sense of looming doom is atmospheric AF. But the aftermath episodes seem to be more focused on the secondary characters and their soviet misery predicaments, and I find this content much less interesting. Maybe it picks up again in the last episode? 

The soundtrack is very effective, and I read the lady who composed the score got all the plaudits. Fair enough, but I bet it'd make for an absolute shit album. Overall, this "metallic throb" soundscape style is just never going to be good for the soundtrack medium. 

Question for you tv experts:

Are any of the following available for streaming WITHOUT commercials?.

Thank you citizens!

SNOWPIERCER s.three

GODFATHER OF HARLEM

BETTER CALL SAUL NEW season.

THE SON season two

FARGO season four

PENNYWORTH season three?

30 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

SNOWPIERCER s.three

HBO Max

GODFATHER OF HARLEM

Hulu

BETTER CALL SAUL NEW season.

AMC+ 

THE SON season two

Hulu

FARGO season four

Hulu

PENNYWORTH season three?

HBO Max

Outer Range (all 8 episodes). In the end it was more The OA than it was The Leftovers. But anyway, you can sign me up for Season 2!

wI4aGtreUx7vFtZGcyiFoOX3qf3.jpg

On 5/5/2022 at 8:16 AM, Quintus said:

Been watching Chernobyl. The first couple of episodes are unreal, they're so well done! The pervading sense of looming doom is atmospheric AF. But the aftermath episodes seem to be more focused on the secondary characters and their soviet misery predicaments, and I find this content much less interesting. Maybe it picks up again in the last episode? 

The soundtrack is very effective, and I read the lady who composed the score got all the plaudits. Fair enough, but I bet it'd make for an absolute shit album. Overall, this "metallic throb" soundscape style is just never going to be good for the soundtrack medium. 

It’s only 5 episodes, if I remember correctly. It’s worth finishing, but yes, the first two episodes chronicling the meltdown are the highlight. 

A few episodes in watching Severance. Gosh I like it. It's got atmosphere in spades, and the visual direction and design is outstanding. Adam Scott is doing some great work here, it's good to see him in such a meaty role. I love how damn unnerving the whole thing is, even if it makes me so anxious I can only watch one episode a day. The whole aesthetic of Lumen, the peculiar nature of the severed characters, and the creepy, silent "board" reminds me of the great and very underrated video game Control. I wonder if it was an influence?

Also up to date on the latest ep of Barry. Great to have this show back after so long, Henry Winkler is killing it this season. The second ep wigged me out quite a bit, they're really going full throttle with Barry's character this season.

They're still worth watching IMO. The good ones have learned from the mistakes of shows past and don't keep you hanging with the same questions, but instead swerve and give you something else entirely (but a bit more gracefully than what "swerve" would suggest). The Leftovers is a prime example. Hoping for the best with Severance.

52 minutes ago, Docteur Qui said:

A few episodes in watching Severance. Gosh I like it. It's got atmosphere in spades, and the visual direction and design is outstanding. Adam Scott is doing some great work here, it's good to see him in such a meaty role. I love how damn unnerving the whole thing is, even if it makes me so anxious I can only watch one episode a day. The whole aesthetic of Lumen, the peculiar nature of the severed characters, and the creepy, silent "board" reminds me of the great and very underrated video game Control. I wonder if it was an influence?

Hey nice catch! I also got heavy Control vibes in Severance. Some of the best TV I’ve seen in a long time. 

Watched Reacher episode 2 last night.  The characters in this are deeply contrived and weird assemblages of different tropes and clichés, but I'm still enjoying the whole silly thing.  Because I have deep family roots in rural Georgia, I have to admit it bothers me how obviously the show isn't actually shot in Georgia.  Ontario just can't sub for Georgia for anyone who's actually been there.

Murderville - Rotten Tomatoes

Murderville

Really funny improv comedy show that came out this year.  Six short episodes, each featuring Will Arnett with a different celebrity guest star - Sharon Stone, Conan O'Brien, Marshawn Lynch, Kumail Nanjiani, Annie Murphy, and Ken Jeong - as themselves pretending to be Arnett's new partner as they investigate a new murder each week and see if the celebrity can guess whodunnit it.  There's even a runner about Arnett's former partner (Jennifer Aniston) and solving her murder.  The situations they put the guests through is ludicrous and its pretty remarkable how rare, if even, Arnett breaks.  The celebrities on the other hand were all so different from each other, both in terms or the type of comedy they brought and how much, and how often they broke amongst all the absurdity.

The rare actual good show to come out of Netflix lately, definitely worth checking out before you dump them after Stranger Things!

Just started watching Russian Doll season 2. What I can't figure out is that I don't like any of these characters (particularly the lead) but the show is for some reason very compelling. Season 2 is a little less clever than 1 but it's cool that they went with a totally new concept.

OK, I like Ruth.

Gave up on Russian Doll 2. Season 1 was much better. I realize they had to do something different this time but what they came up with is not very interesting.

Spoiler

I thought Arnett was always in on the act and that he had the overall outline of the script? The celebs on the other hand didn't. Most really just broke down but Sharon Stone was a class act in her improv. 

Alexis from Schitt's Creek was a total deer in headlights throughout her ep. Hahaha. 

2 hours ago, Hurmm said:

Alexis from Schitt's Creek was a total deer in headlights throughout her ep. Hahaha. 

I don't know about that but she's surprisingly good in Russian Doll season 2.

7 hours ago, Hurmm said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I thought Arnett was always in on the act and that he had the overall outline of the script? The celebs on the other hand didn't.

Yes, for certain that was the case. Did I imply otherwise? 

7 hours ago, Hurmm said:

Most really just broke down but Sharon Stone was a class act in her improv. 

She was really good! The real surprise was Marshawn Lynch, I had no idea what he was capable of, but he killed! 

7 hours ago, Hurmm said:

Yea, that was unfortunate. I was looking forward to her ep a lot, but she ended up not doing too much. Was still funny though. 

• 2 weeks later...

Better Call Saul Season 6 (Part 1)

The best show on television keeps getting better.  These 7 episodes are full of intense moments, top notch acting, incredible cinematography, and unpredictable and satisfying writing.

Can't wait for Part 2 in July!  What a ride!

DEXTER NEW BLOOD

Boy, that first episode SUCKED! It almost played like a parody of virtue signalling , forced diversity modern tv.

PLUS, all the characters were one dimensional and over the top.

Fortunately, it seemed to get back on the DEXTER track by episode three which finally felt like TOS!

Hacks season 2. Flight Attendant season 2 

Flight Attendant pissed us off with the false ending of season one but still when the lesbian does what she do in the penultimate episode we are ready for the finale tonight.

Nice, we started Hacks Season 2 and LOVE It so far, easily one of the shows we both like the most

We also watched the season 2 premiere of Flight Attendant last night and enjoyed it

Severance (Apple TV+)

Severance (TV Series 2022– ) - IMDb

What if you could live two different lives: one during your job in a huge corporation, and another on the outside world? The catch: you won't be able to remember your corporate life when you're not working, and vice versa.

It's a simple premise, but it actually is horrifying when you think about it. And this show explores in depth the workers subjected to that experience.

The show is a mix between The Office and a dystopia kinda like The Handmaid's Tale, with a bit of Black Mirror-style black comedy and sci-fi.

Lumon, the company that forces all his (lower level) employees to go through the Severance procedure (which separates your corporate self from your non-corporate life), combines typical American capitalism with an almost religious zealotry in its adherence to the rules and its lore, resulting in some very sharp satire of current job relationships.

It's a great show, very atmospheric, with great directing, cinematography and acting. The piano-led score, by Theodore Shapiro, works perfectly with the show.

The first season ends in a big cliffhanger, and I can't wait for where it'll go next!

On 26/05/2022 at 12:27 AM, bruce marshall said:

DEXTER NEW BLOOD

Boy, that first episode SUCKED! It almost played like a parody of virtue signalling , forced diversity modern tv.

PLUS, all the characters were one dimensional and over the top.

Fortunately, it seemed to get back on the DEXTER track by episode three which finally felt like TOS!

Finished.

It was definitely a mixed bag. Too many unneccesary scenes and ridiculous or superfluous characters.

Some silly plot contrivances ; for example Batista mentioning the NAME of Dexters son!?

Outright boring at times.

But, it really finished strong. The last two eps were exceptional!

No one else has watched this?

6 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Severance (Apple TV+)

Severance (TV Series 2022– ) - IMDb

What if you could live two different lives: one during your job in a huge corporation, and another on the outside world? The catch: you won't be able to remember your corporate life when you're not working, and vice versa.

It's a simple premise, but it actually is horrifying when you think about it. And this show explores in depth the workers subjected to that experience.

The show is a mix between The Office and a dystopia kinda like The Handmaid's Tale, with a bit of Black Mirror-style black comedy and sci-fi.

Lumon, the company that forces all his (lower level) employees to go through the Severance procedure (which separates your corporate self from your non-corporate life), combines typical American capitalism with an almost religious zealotry in its adherence to the rules and its lore, resulting in some very sharp satire of current job relationships.

It's a great show, very atmospheric, with great directing, cinematography and acting. The piano-led score, by Theodore Shapiro, works perfectly with the show.

The first season ends in a big cliffhanger, and I can't wait for where it'll go next!

Sounds good! Must check this out.

raised-by-wolves-2.jpg

Well, whattaya know, Season 2 is much better than Season 1. And if you don't believe me, I got proof!

Metascore Metacritic Raised By Wolves S1: 64%

Metascore Metacritic Raised By Wolves S2: 84%

5 hours ago, AC1 said:

raised-by-wolves-2.jpg

Well, whattaya know, Season 2 is much better than Season 1. And if you don't believe me, I got proof!

Metascore Metacritic Raised By Wolves S1: 64%

Metascore Metacritic Raised By Wolves S2: 84%

Not proof. Its just a depository for opinions that is not proof