What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

My very favorite episode of Hawaii 5-0 is on tonight. It deals with our American shame during WWII.

Beautiful story about honoring one of our interred Americans of Japanese ancestry.

Something George Takei endured here in my home state.

All caught up on How to Get Away With Murder. Loving Viola Davis' performance.

Hopefully, when they continue on the 29th, they'll drop all the gay sex scenes.

Since nobody here ever watches britcoms, i chose THE FALL...criminal investigation, some inspired changes of pace and good characterizations of the main players but a bit let down by the drab sameness of the supporting characters. Everyone seems to suffer from severe depressive disorders, except for some children there is no laugh or even innuendo to be had in this world. While this befits the subject matter, it also makes it a chore to sit through at times.

After a sort of break I returned to From the Earth to the Moon with Spider.

One of my favourite episodes, the story of the LEM from design right through to when 'Eagle' is shipped out to Houston. It's at once the humour of the episode but also the seriousness, the drive to get to the moon. The shadow of Kennedy lurks faintly behind the story in some respects. From the moment one of the men says that they have seven years to get it right and how.

The slight niggle is the sound of the Great Escape theme, though it adds to the humour it sounds 'Midi' or whtaever the term is, like lift music or something done off the keyboard. Perhaps old Elmer was going to sue if they used the right version :)

There's a part of me that feels cautious over starting a new TV series.

I have what I call (for lack of a good way to describe the phenomenon) Mild to Medium Level "Pilot Syndrome".

If I can't get hooked on the pilot (or at least the first few episodes of their first season), then there's no way I'm continuing to watch the series.

Any opinions on Farscape?

I used to think that Farscape was weird. I watched the pilot a few years ago. I rewatched it over the summer on Netflix while I was unemployed and I couldn't stop watching. I think Claudia Black is gorgeous, and she had great chemistry with Ben Browder. You don't even care whether so many characters are Muppets or simpler because they feel so real and convincing, I came to care about them all. The last season got a bit bizarre, but The Peacekeeper Wars wraps everything up nicely. It's not on Netflix but it is on YouTube. It's a great show I wish I would have watched in its original run.

Thanks for the heads-up. I think I might start watching Farscape after all. Too bad it's not on Netflix...

I wouldn't worry about original runs. They're only useful for being able to create relevancy at the time of their broadcast, and also later on when you can catch up with other people who watched the same episode and discuss the expositions, the twists, the shortcomings, and the cliffhanger they left you on. Basically, watching a show during its original run only serves to make it a talking point that would otherwise not be the case after the show ended.

I prefer to wait for the right time to watch a show instead of just hopping on the bandwagon just because a studio creates relevancy (which is what they're supposed to do) and because the fanbase hypes it up to levels that interfere with me being able to objectively watch the show. It's like "I'll watch this show because I want to watch it, not just because everyone is watching and I want to feel relevant."

I should have been more precise.

The four seasons of Farscape are on Netflix, at least in the US. It ends on a cliffhanger.

The series concludes with a two part miniseries, The Peacekeeper Wars, that was not on Netflix in October when I needed it. The miniseries does resolve most plot threads nicely,though the story continues in comic books.

Farscape has perhaps the greatest single villain in all of modern science fiction TV in Scorpius, second only to Gul Dukat, maybe.

Saw Wolf Hall also. I've not read the books but not so bad at the moment. Surprised by how, in spite of how little we saw him, Damien Lewis seems to 'be' Henry VIII. A youngish Henry anyway.

Yeah, he seemed to fit the part surprisingly well. I thought Mark Rylance was brilliant as Cromwell.

A very, very fine and perhaps underrated show. It barely registered here in Britain from what I remember.

Looking forward to revisiting Apollo 12. All about Pete Conrad my man.

Today would seem a good day to watch the Apollo 1 episode.

A very, very fine and perhaps underrated show. It barely registered here in Britain from what I remember.

Looking forward to revisiting Apollo 12. All about Pete Conrad my man.

Today would seem a good day to watch the Apollo 1 episode.

Indeed. Tough episode to watch any given time.

It's on every day in our house, on CBeebies. The theme is better than Giachinno's one for The Incredibles.

Ren said the Stateside version even retains the British voicework, which surprised me.

I watched the complete series of Batman (1966-1968). I loved this show as a child, but I never got to see every episode and there was a huge gap between the early 1990s and the present day when this show wasn't being aired at all in Australia. People seemed to want to banish this series from memory all because franchise fans wanted their beloved superheroes to be taken seriously so badly.

But what I love about this series is that it's so honest and genuine. The comics are ridiculous and that was appropriately reflected in this show. Bruce Wayne would have to be an OCD square to become what he is. And he can only exist in a zany world where the police are so incompetent, they have no desire to work a single case. Commissioner Gordon is almost outsourcing all the hard stuff to the Caped Crusader because he lacks the know-how to tackle these things himself. It's a bold contrast to later live action incarnations where there's often an almost complete disconnect between Batman and the law enforcement authorities, they're essentially rivals, with the villains in the middle.

The continuity problems in this series can be bothersome, especially with cast changes like the Riddler suddenly going from Frank Gorshin to Gomez Addams, as well as Catwoman essentially becoming a different character when Julie Newmar was recast with Eartha Kitt - where was the tension, the teasing and the development when she came along? It wasn't Eartha's fault - it was the way it was written.

The first two seasons were pure delight. The third season wasn't as bad as I was informed, but Yvonne Craig made the viewing experience refreshing.

A great show that was cleverly written and well performed. I'm glad it's finally getting more mainstream recognition for how good it was, rather than the almost embarrassed ridicule it's copped since Frank Miller came along and ruined everything!

Anyone watching The Americans tonight?

Basically nobody watches The Americans. Fewer than 2 million people watched its most viewed episode in season two, and only 1.12 million tuned in for the least-viewed episode. Yes, those numbers more than double when you add in everybody who watches later on DVR and streaming sites, but even if those numbers were to triple, they would still reflect a tiny audience, in terms of the overall television viewing landscape. The series has also struggled in terms of awards nominations, largely ignored by the Emmys in favor of inferior programs like Downton Abbey and House of Cards.

This is the peril of being a great TV show in an era of so many great TV shows. Mad Men and Breaking Bad were lucky, in that they came at the tail end of an era when only a handful of networks were seriously programming good TV. Thus every season could feel like an event.

Parks and Recreation 7x03 William Henry Harrison

Nice episode here - I loved how the A plot and B plot were nicely intermingled. Ben trying to get Leslie and Ron to sign the documents with Terry was funny everytime, and Leslie and Ron escalating their ways of trying to win the bid tying into their Morning Star feud was good too. The "celebrity" that Ron's co got was one crazy, and the William Henry Harrison offspring Leslie got was funny too. Loved the cliffhanger ending of locking Leslie and Ron into a room together to work out their issues.

Yea that was one of my biggest issues with the season. They set up a new dynamic early, with Jeff being a teacher, and the gang being upset in the way their lives turned out after Greendale.... but then did nothing with any of that, and more or less just did a bunch of standalone episodes all season. I think I might have even liked Season 4 more than 5.

John Oliver is awesome. Do you watch his HBO show?

John Oliver isn't in the next season?! Jeez, this show is screwed!

And you might not miss Yvette Nicole Brown now, but you'll feel her absence for sure. These are strong personalities for a reason, and I'm not quite sure how the writers are going to pull it off.

Jonathan Banks is pretty disposable though.

Yea, the first two seasons are particularly strong

For me the show jumped the shark when Chandler and Monica got together. Also hated how dumb they made Joey in the later seasons