What's the WORST JW album you ever bought?

Quintus

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fully expect to be burned alive for this one, but I've expressed many times my total disinterest in anything SW-OT related.

star%20wars%20trilogy%20the%20empire%20strikes%20back.jpg

BLASPHEMER!!!!!!!

Burn, motherf*&^%r, burn. :) (insert evil emperor style laugh here)

I can see why someone would get bored with Empire after the first few tracks, especially if they are a bit young. Star Wars and the Imperial March have been around for almost 30 years and have been played over and over again. I would highly recommend the original album release; it's missing ALOT, but I find it a pretty good listen.

Stepmom can be pretty boring, but you should listen to "Taking Pictures." I think it's a standout cue, one I listen to at least once a week. I wish it had been nominated for Instrumental Composition at the Grammy's.

The new Star Trek film was great, but the weakest part was the score. I was hoping the beginning of the End Credits would be as exciting as "Sign Off" from Undiscovered Country. I found the orchestration to the new film to be a bit generic, though the theme is quite nice.

Ironic Koray told someone to get laid.

One of the worst JW albums I've purchased was the one by the Orlando Pops. Adventures on Earth is atrocious, a complete mess. I use the track to show people what a conductor does by comparing it to a superior recording.

KotCS is a masterpiece compared to Giacchino's Star Trek .Were lucky Williams is still composing

You sir, are an idiot.

You sir an even more if you mean that

KoTCs beats the hell out of the miserable bad new Star Trek score. There isn't even a comparison to the ten classes better Goldsmith scores. The new Trek has a Weak main theme, no volume in the music and not even a memorable side theme. I watched the film once and the only things musically i remember are the main theme and the borrowed courage bit in the end which puts everything else in that score to shame.

This could just go back and forth endlessly.

I don't think Trek is the best thing since sliced bread, but I think it's a solid score (not helped by the Lost-like mix), and I can find more stuff to criticise about KotCS than I can for Trek.

2lo2c0w.jpg

I had a listen to the excerpts (excerpt 2) link you posted

When Adventures on Earth began, it sounded like the bike riders were on Opium or something.

My first thought was - "C'mon....move it..C'mon..RIDE" . Waaaay too slow LOL

If I had no access to original JW, an album like that I'd eventually get used to, but it is second best.

KoTCs beats the hell out of the miserable bad new Star Trek score. There isn't even a comparison to the ten classes better Goldsmith scores. The new Trek has a Weak main theme, no volume in the music and not even a memorable side theme. I watched the film once and the only things musically i remember are the main theme and the borrowed courage bit in the end which puts everything else in that score to shame.

You should listen harder then.

Star Trek is waaaaaaaaaay better than KOTCS, no tracks on Star Trek are as boring as Secret Doors and Scorpions or Orellana's Cradle.

51txcwrdirL._SS500_.jpg

Go get laid.

For your information, I did. However, I don't like the album any better because of it. Neither does the lady.

Thank you for your concern.

Yeah same here.

But sometimes you gotta take one for the team and if that's what it's going to take to get me to like KOTCS, then by god I'll take as many for the team as I can.

the Star Trek theme is still only 3-4 power chords. Cannot be compared with anything Williams can write

Anybody else think the main theme from Star Trek sounds like a Zimmer composition (I think that's what KM was hinting at with "power chords")? The variations it gets throughout the score are more complex than Zimmer, but the theme itself is very similar sounding to the type of sound heard in 80% of Zimmer themes (that sense of honor and duty). Of course, coming from me this is not an insult in the slightest, I like the theme. I should also probably mention that I have yet to purchase the OST (it wasn't at the CD store I went to today).

Yeah, I hear the Zimmer-like aspect of it, for sure. There's a nice dose of Horner in there, too, though. Rounds things out a bit.

Yeah, the first two phrases sound VERY Zimmerish, and the third one with the triplet sounds very Hornerish.

No, I wouldn't dare insult Michael Giacchino by assuming such a thing.

Amen. As I've said before it sounds to me like a melding of Goldsmith and Horner, with a little Courage thrown in.

No it started out with whoever said KOTCS was the worst and somehow it was compared to Star Trek.

I don't think I've replied to this thread....now where do I start? Hmmmmmm.

Yeah, I hear the Zimmer-like aspect of it, for sure. There's a nice dose of Horner in there, too, though. Rounds things out a bit.

Yeah, the first two phrases sound VERY Zimmerish, and the third one with the triplet sounds very Hornerish.

Y'know, the first little while I was hearing it, and I would've agreed, but I'm finding it harder and harder to relate any part of the theme to Zimmer. It's just it's own thing.

No it started out with whoever said KOTCS was the worst and somehow it was compared to Star Trek.

Not to mention that Indy 4 is far from that bad. It's not bad at all, just not great.

Y'know, the first little while I was hearing it, and I would've agreed, but I'm finding it harder and harder to relate any part of the theme to Zimmer. It's just it's own thing.

It's Zimmer like in its simplicity, but its very Giacchino.

• 2 weeks later...
I think Nick Redman cannot produce albums! There is no musical sense in his albums. Another examples from Redman: POLTERGEIST, CLEOPATRA, SUPERMAN, etc. Musical non-sense. Sorry.

As I don't personally prescribe to this notion, and I'd venture that many others here don't as well, I'm curious if you could please elaborate on why you believe "Nick Redman cannot produce albums". What is it specifically about the three releases you've mentioned, or others you didn't mention, that bothers you and supports your claim that they are "(m)usical non-sense"?

I was kinda under the impression that might be a joke.

I hope.

Ah! If it was a joke, then disregard my previous post, ckappes. :lol:

we have 2 years to kill until tintin

Good grief, is it all you can do to wait around for 2 years for a partly C.G kid and his dog to turn up?! At his age, when most people have been retired for well over a decade, I'm not expecting to hear any more music from J.W. unless he feels that he is up to it. As the liner notes for the 2-disc "The Fury" rightly said: it's a bit selfish to want more and more. I would ALWAYS welcome a new J.W. score, whatever the quality, but at my age I've given up waiting for things that may not happen. Sorry if this reads as a bit caustic, but I do not mean you, nor any jwfan member, any mailce. I simply prefer to "go" with what is, and not what may be.

Some people can't live without anything new from Williams because that's all they have when it comes to film music.

I wish we could induce selective amnesia on ourselves. Make ourselves forget all about film music, and only film music so we could lead happy normal lives otherwise.

That way, you could selectively re-introduce JW film scores over the next two years, and then enjoy them fresh all over again.

I think there are drugs that do this already, but they're not healthy, cheap, or legal.

Well I have over 140 John Williams albums, on top of everything else, so it's not like I'm going to tire of everything right away.