The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

Yeah, it's really weird, the part about the orchestration. I'm not familiar enough with the Highlander score, but that seemed a perfect fit, until the orchestration facts debunked it.

I hope noone minds but I found this regarding Young Guns II sdtk

http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/catalog/soundtrackdetail.php?movieid=6344

There's only one Silverstri track (short no doubt) on the official album.

And if you scroll down there is the ummmm boot...

So if not Highlander (hoping it would be) then maybe YG2. On the other hand another Silverstri release would be great too.

:)

I was thinking Flash Gordon too, but Howard Blake isn't a huge composer.

Labyrinth has Trevor Jones but David Bowie isn't a group.

Oh, hey, man, you think David Bowie is a group, huh? No, it's not a group, man. It's one guy, man. Y'know, he had a..a red suit on, man, with black patent leather choos...you know the guy, man.

What about Debney's Hocus Pocus? I don't remember if it included trumpets or horns. Also not sure if another group wrote music inspired by it. And I'm not sure if Debney can be considered a major composer or if the film can be considered a mega hit.

Ahh, nevermind. I just looked it upon Box Office Mojo and it grosed less than $40 million domestically...not what I'd call a mega hit.

I have no idea, every score I come up with and research doesn't fit.

It's probably something obvious and I'll smack my forehead when it's announced.

Well it depends on who you define as big composers.

I would say it's probably something from either Conti, Barry, Kamen, or perhaps an older score by Bernstein or Mancini. Maybe Horner or Elfman fits in.

Like I mentioned, I keep thinking of scores that feature songs / vocals written especially for the film and big composers and it either comes up empty or doesn't fit the clues or I'm not familiar enough with the music to recall the orchestrations.

Yeah I thought about that. But the clues don't match most of them.

Secret of Nimh... No

Land Before Time... No

American Tale... No

Most of the big hits animated films are Disney.

I can't think of a premier release.

I hope noone minds but I found this regarding Young Guns II sdtk

http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/catalog/soundtrackdetail.php?movieid=6344

There's only one Silverstri track (short no doubt) on the official album.

And if you scroll down there is the ummmm boot...

So if not Highlander (hoping it would be) then maybe YG2. On the other hand another Silverstri release would be great too.

:)

OMG...i would be ALL OVER a YG2 release!!! That would make my year!

Well it's definitely not Highlander, Roger shot that down and clarified some of Doug's remarks.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3841&start=135

I believe the second title will be either The Great Escape, How The West Was Won or The Greatest Story Ever Told.

The good news is that the 3 disc set will fall under the MAF series and sell for $19.99.

Doug says:

Golly. I tossed in a few oddball clues and the thread goes bonkers. Okay, Roger... come back and I'll go back in the studio where I belong. I promise. icon_smile.gif

I can't settle the "few" or "several" deacdes issue because I really don't know which word is more accurate. I trust Ron a lot so maybe I should just say the classic title comes from more than four decades ago but less than six decades ago... I think. (Besides giving out lame clues, I'm not so good with math, either.) Whatever. You sort of have the decade now.

With regards to the hit movie release, my orchestration clue is probably a pretty decent one for you folks that like to stay on top of such details. The score does feature some 40 strings, a large low brass section with 4 trombones and 2 tubas (most orchestras just have 3 and 1), 7 percussionists, woodwind soloists, numerous keyboard players and so forth. That may not be a massive 100-plus orchestra like what Tiomkin put together for THE FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE but whenever you have some 65 players together in one room it's safe to call it a pretty big orchestra. But the intentional avoidance of high brass (trumpets and French horns) is the key clue, since orchestral music lacking BOTH of those instruments is quite unusual. (Goldsmith's CONTRACT ON CHERRY STREET is a rare earlier example.) The hit composer of our CD in question wanted this score to be exciting in a gritty fashion.

So there you have more clues to the hit project, too. You now know the score is exciting and gritty and you know Goldsmith's CHERRY STREET comes before it.

Now I have to get back to sales and inventory. Jeff and his crew are still out until Monday... and I'm pretty slow at real work. icon_wink.gif

--Doug

And then Roger says:

The three CD-set is a budget priced set at $19.99 in our unlimited MAF series. It's not really geared for folks in the usual soundtrack circles, since many have had ample time to get it. It's really a score that deserves to stay in print and is more for the Amazon.com crowd. Although we did fix a few anomalies and do some assembly that should have been done previously.

The other score is not Highlander...and it may be arguable that the songs were performed by a "name" group, but one of the songs did catch the attention of many people. It is a largish orchestra, although that may not lead out at you.

Well it's definitely not Highlander, Roger shot that down and clarified some of Doug's remarks.

I believe the second title will be either The Great Escape, How The West Was Won or The Greatest Story Ever Told.

The good news is that the 3 disc set will fall under the MAF series and sell for $19.99.

In support of Greatest Story, Roger says they did some assembly that should have been done before. Seeing as not all album tracks on disc 3 were not incorporated into the score presentation, they may have sequenced it all in film order on the first two discs and then replicated the album again for the 3rd disc.

In support of Greatest Story, Roger says they did some assembly that should have been done before. Seeing as not all album tracks on disc 3 were not incorporated into the score presentation, they may have sequenced it all in film order on the first two discs and then replicated the album again for the 3rd disc.

I have the original Ryko behemoth...;) I would love to upgrade to a correctly sequenced album in a slimmer, more attractive packaging.

Here's the links

48 Hrs by James Horner

The Great Escape by Elmer Bernstein

The Great Escape release annoys me because, like Intrada's Patton, they could have in put the LP re-recording at the beginning of the first disc and then it wouldn't need to be a 3 disc set

No, no more James Horner. My only wanted Horner's work is The Land Before time. I had enough or Horner.

The GREAT Escape......I would definitely buy it, later.

But anybody know when would be the LLL next batch?

Yeah, I like that the album is separated from the rest of the score. And it was probably done for contractual reasons.

I am BEYOND thrilled for The Great Escape. This was my absolute most wanted OOP score, by ANY composer. I can't wait to receive it!

The samples for the Horner don't thrill me, so I'll pass on it.

Except that has already been released.

Well, that renders my bi-annual contribution to this place meaningless.

Post more!

Yeah, I like that the album is separated from the rest of the score. And it was probably done for contractual reasons.

I am BEYOND thrilled for The Great Escape. This was my absolute most wanted OOP score, by ANY composer. I can't wait to receive it!

The samples for the Horner don't thrill me, so I'll pass on it.

I'm only really getting it because of the steel drums from Commando :P

Yep, I'll be skipping the Horner and getting the Great Escape.

I love that this is a former club title made unlimited. Intrada is really doing their part to ensure that the truly Great film scores are widely available. What other Varese Club OOP titles are ripe/ likely to be re-visited? The Sand Pebbles? Ghostbusters? The Fury?

Ordered the Great Escape, because I don't feel like waiting, and I'm pleased to support Intrada for resurrecting an OOP Varese, for using the classic artwork, for making it unlimited, and for pricing it affordably. (Y)

48 Hours is rather...interesting, to say the least. Especially since it's a Horner score. However, I'll pass on this one.

Since the Bernstein set is an MAF release, I'll pick it up later this year. Between now and June, I have to be real choosy on what CD's to get. Trying to save up to get my girlfriend back here for her birthday.

A nice duo which I'll be ordering once I get some more money on my account, December left me pretty exhausted ... <_< I'm very glad that The Great Escape is unlimited, and with 5000 copies, 48 Hrs. should last for quite some time.

I'm delighted that 48HRS has finally seen the light of day. So very much ordered. As for the Bernstein, well I have the 2 disc set from the Varese Club so that's sufficient enough for me.

Congrats to Intrada for making Bernstein's wonderful score available again. I'll probably pick it up later on down the line, I have the Varese set but I would like to get the LP program again. And congrats on relasing a much requested Horner title.

For those who wonder why it's 3 discs, while rights may have played a factor, I know Doug Fake has mentioned in the past about sequencing albums in a way he likes. So I would imagine it was his decision to put the LP separate. He even mentioned that's how he wanted to sequence Patton as well.