The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

First of all, I thought the complete score to Spider-Man 3 was potentially larger than a single disc to begin with.

Secondly, couldn't "glorious mono" be like "glorious black and white?" A throwback to yesteryear?

I understand that rock of the 50s and 60s were designed to be heard in mono. That was the norm, and stereo was just a cheap gimmick, thrown together haphazardly. Mono would be the "glorious" presentation.

That being said, Spider-Man 3 is not so old as to not have surviving stereo elements. Is it?

From Doug's Corner:

It looks like we may offer just one new release next Tuesday (August 31) mainly because it's a pretty big title. One of the most requested soundtracks from the seventies, we've assembled an ambitious 2-CD set requiring two studios to make the project possible. One studio owned the original LP rights for the hit album that came out when the picture was released and the other studio controlled the rights to the complete score. We're proud to make this one happen after years of negotiating. Over a half hour of previously unreleased music appears, written by one of the most famous of all multi Oscar-winning composers! This one comes from that incredible period that saw stuff like JAWS, STAR WARS, CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND, THE BOYS FROM BRAZIL, CAPRICORN ONE and... well you get the idea. Anyway, we'll have the title and audio samples posted on our site this Monday, August the 30th. 3000 copies will be available, the maximum quantity we can produce based on our lengthy negotiations. So you may want to jump on this one pretty quickly if it appeals to you. It sure appeals to me!

Hmmm, It's either John Barry's The Deep or The Black Hole. I would say Williams' Dracula but it's already been available on CD.

I hope Intrada's Monday release is Spider-man 3!

Nothing I've heard makes me confident that we'll see an official release any time in the near future (Young himself has said it never will).

Quite sad really. Part of me sympathises with the hell Elfman was put through during #2. The other part wants Elfman to grow up and let Young's fans hear his work. I mean what about the score for Spidey 4? Will that composer be similarly restrained?

Spidey 4 shouldn't have anything to do with Raimi and crew, so it should be a new ball game. If they're going the road of "all new everything," then I'd prefer they ventured away from the Elfman/Young sound and got fresh legs for the picture.

I'd buy classic 70s Barry in a heartbeat...yet strangely I own zero Barry Bond scores.

Since that's a reboot they will probably just grab one of Zimmer's clones to score the film.

I highly doubt any references to Raimi's films will be carried over.

If it's Barry's The Deep or The Black Hole, should I jump on it? Sounds like another 24-hour sell out, which is probably making Intrada the most profitable label right now. Any samples out there one could hook me up with?

Itunes has samples of the Black Hole, from the LP only release they did.

I guess you could check you tube for The Deep. I haven't heard anything from that film outside of the movie.

The rights for the actual film score reside with Dino De Laurentis and his company.

I was hoping FSM could do it as a companion album to the original LP program they released.

Seems like the Deep is more likely because of the "Hit LP" clue. Also, if it's mono, wouldn't that rule out the Black Hole, which was recorded digitally?

I like Black Hole much more, both movie and score. Although, I have a wonderful memory of seeing the Deep at the drive-in with my parents when I was about 6 years old. I fell asleep during Close Encounters and woke up halfway through the Deep, not realizing it was a different movie.

Considering Roger said...

Well, one disc is the stereo LP program. The other disc is the complete score in glorious mono.

I should hope that's NOT it.

He said that after I posted my Spider-Man 3 desire, smart guy. If you noticed, I was the one that asked Roger to post a further clue on the Intrada board.

Considering Roger said...

Well, one disc is the stereo LP program. The other disc is the complete score in glorious mono.

I should hope that's NOT it.

He said that after I posted my Spider-Man 3 desire, smart guy. If you noticed, I was the one that asked Roger to post a further clue on the Intrada board.

Watch it. I'm not trying to be smart. A, I'm not, and 2, I don't do a good job at it.

I compared the date stamps of your post here to his post there. I didn't scroll the Intrada screen far enough to see that, yes Virginia, your post was before his mono post. I am so sorry.

It's worth a viewing if only for Bisset's wet T-shirt win. You can also enjoy the unofficial remake Into the Blue with Jessica Alba.

I liked that movie

Had never heard of The Deep until recently. Interesting that it is based on a book by the same guy who wrote Jaws, and Robert Shaw is in it. Adding it to my netflix queue.

I'll likely buy this since it will sell out in 24 hours or less, then listen to the mp3s when they hit the net and if I enjoy it, open my copy. If I don't, sell my copy to a member who didn't get one for the retail price.

I'm a sucker for great poster art. I think the Deep enjoyed a fabulous LP cover:

Deep_CBLA71.jpg

Although, the movie poster itself seems to sell it as a horror film, which it ain't. I think they were clearly trying to exploit the Benchley/Jaws connection.

Deep_1.jpg

Interesting that it is based on a book by the same guy who wrote Jaws, and Robert Shaw is in it.

Plus you get to see Shaw scuba dive.. in a button up shirt and slacks! :cool:

I don't think The Deep will go that quickly.

One thing is that most younger fans haven't heard it, they may be put off by the mono :cool: and the LP has some 70's cheese on it (disco).

The only other composer I can think of, just in case it's not The Deep, would be Henry Mancini (popular, multiple Oscar winner). But I can't think of a most requested 70's score from him.

Maybe "10".

I also used to think "The Deep" was a horror movie, until I read the back of the DVD last night about four times.

Ok, treasure, drugs, blah blah. Where's the monster? Where's the fish? The only Benchley books I ever read were "Jaws," "Jaws 2," and "White Shark," so I assumed this would be in the same vein.

the LP has some 70's cheese on it (disco).

So does JG's Players, and I enjoy that score a lot. Another score to a movie I'll never see.

The voodoo scene scared the crap out of me when I was a kid. That and the huge moray eel

That scene always get cut out, when the film is shown on British network T.V.

I don't think The Deep will go that quickly.

One thing is that most younger fans haven't heard it, they may be put off by the mono :cool: and the LP has some 70's cheese on it (disco).

The only other composer I can think of, just in case it's not The Deep, would be Henry Mancini (popular, multiple Oscar winner). But I can't think of a most requested 70's score from him.

Maybe "10".

"Down, Deep Inside" is a great song, and one of my Donna Summer favourites. It is also available, in extended form, independently of the score.

I also used to think "The Deep" was a horror movie, until I read the back of the DVD last night about four times.

Ok, treasure, drugs, blah blah. Where's the monster? Where's the fish? The only Benchley books I ever read were "Jaws," "Jaws 2," and "White Shark," so I assumed this would be in the same vein.

the LP has some 70's cheese on it (disco).

So does JG's Players, and I enjoy that score a lot. Another score to a movie I'll never see.

Howard Sackler wrote "Jaws 2".

There was a Jaws 2 novelization, but it was not written by Benchley. It's pretty decent to read though. It's based on an early version of the script, so there's a lot of differences.

There was a Jaws 2 novelization, but it was not written by Benchley. It's pretty decent to read though. It's based on an early version of the script, so there's a lot of differences.

It would have been interesting to have seen the John Hancock version of "Jaws 2", or, indeed, the Mike Hodges version of "Damien:Omen II".

I had the Jaws 2 novelization as well. It plays off of Benchley's original novel more than it does the film.

There was even a Jaws The Revenge novel. And yes I had that as well. I believe Hank Searls was the author on that one. And while it does flesh out the story much better than the film did, it's still a dumb story.

I don't recall seeing a novelization for Jaws 3-D.

I like Hedji's "Close Encounters Of The Deep Kind" hybrid. :cool:

Now THAT is a great title! :P

Mark, very interesting about the Jaws the Revenge novelization. Never knew that existed. I just gotta ask, did you read that before or after seeing the film? I love all things Jaws, but I'm not sure I could pick up the book to that one.

Before I saw the film.

To be polite I'll use spoiler tags but the book's

reason for the shark following them down to the Bahamas has to do with a vodoo curse placed on one of the Brodys and Michael Caine's character is a CIA or FBI agent who's chasing a drug dealer, who plays a major role in the story.

In reading all 3 books, I've often thought of them as mafia / crime dramas that feature sharks as a subplot.

We are fortunate that Zanuck, Brown, and Spielberg decided to, ahem, trim as many of Benchley's subplots that they did, or even the first film would have been a mess instead of an adventure/horror classic.

Before I saw the film.

To be polite I'll use spoiler tags but the book's

reason for the shark following them down to the Bahamas has to do with a vodoo curse placed on one of the Brodys and Michael Caine's character is a CIA or FBI agent who's chasing a drug dealer, who plays a major role in the story.

:cool: That is too funny! Now I want to read it!

In reading all 3 books, I've often thought of them as mafia / crime dramas that feature sharks as a subplot.

Interesting take on it. The same could be said for The Dark Knight, except insert Batman instead of shark.

Roger has given NO clues at all. All this "the Deep" speculation has been just that: SPECULATION

But we have, however, gotten something in the way of a clue just a little bit ago in Doug's Corner:

It looks like we may offer just one new release next Tuesday (August 31) mainly because it's a pretty big title. One of the most requested soundtracks from the seventies, we've assembled an ambitious 2-CD set requiring two studios to make the project possible. One studio owned the original LP rights for the hit album that came out when the picture was released and the other studio controlled the rights to the complete score. We're proud to make this one happen after years of negotiating. Over a half hour of previously unreleased music appears, written by one of the most famous of all multi Oscar-winning composers! This one comes from that incredible period that saw stuff like JAWS, STAR WARS, CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND, THE BOYS FROM BRAZIL, CAPRICORN ONE and... well you get the idea. Anyway, we'll have the title and audio samples posted on our site this Monday, August the 30th. 3000 copies will be available, the maximum quantity we can produce based on our lengthy negotiations. So you may want to jump on this one pretty quickly if it appeals to you. It sure appeals to me!

I'm not guessing until there's an actual clue. All doug does is narrow down the time frame, really.

But people are going on "The Deep" like that's it or something, especially FSM.

Well there's only 4 famous composers that are multi Oscar winners that would generate that kind of talk:

Williams

Barry

Mancini

Rozsa

Roger has given NO clues at all. All this "the Deep" speculation has been just that: SPECULATION

Yes he has. He told us its a score that has been on LP but not CD.

But we have, however, gotten something in the way of a clue just a little bit ago in Doug's Corner:

Yes we know, Doug posted that almost 24 hours ago now, and we've been talking about it right here in this very thread ever since.

I'm not guessing until there's an actual clue. All doug does is narrow down the time frame, really.

But people are going on "The Deep" like that's it or something, especially FSM.

It does more than narrow it down to the second half of the 70's It also narrows it down to a multi-oscar winning composer, and that one studio owns the rights to the LP and another owns the rights to the complete score.

The Deep is the only thing that fits all the clues.

The Black Hole doesn't fit because Disney recorded everything digitally in stereo in that area. Also Disney owns the rights to both the LP and the complete score, not 2 different studios.

I don't think so. The fact that Roger (or Doug, I can't remember) said it was a "Hit LP" points more to the Deep. Also, Black Hole was recorded digitally, so I'd imagine it wouldn't be in mono. I'd really rather it were the Black Hole, but I don't think it is.

Could this be The Black Hole?

- 70s.

- Never on CD (officially), but was on LP.

- Highly saught-after hit score.