The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

The Predator situation makes me very worried about big future JW releases. Must stay glued to the computer for release of new JW music, but must also have a life.

So far, only The Poseidon Adventure sold out in few days. All other JW releases from the labels took quite some time to sell out. I guess it's more a problem of speculation related to several oft-requested title.

I sincerely hope the labels will work out a solution to avoid as much as they could this kind of displeasing situation in the future.

That's only my hope. I believe this kind of situation could become counter-productive in the end. I'm glad the labels make this kind of success, but I wonder how many CDs end up in the hands of people who just want to make money out of it (and how many fans get pissed off because they weren't fast enough to secure a copy of a long-awaited title). Sure, that's something out of their control, but maybe there are ways they could try to minimize the risks (to begin with, I would stop all the pre-announcing and guessing games, just release the damn title and cut the slack).

Speculators have always been part of the collectors' market (I still remember those long, nasty lists on the FSM print edition in the '90s), so that's normal. But it's something I don't understand. I'm in only for the music, I don't care about the money value of my CD collection.

For example, if The Towering Inferno would get re-released I wouldn't buy it. I already have the FSM edition and I'm happy with it. Sure, I'd love a new remaster, but I would leave the chance to all the people who didn't got it first. The music is what matters for me.

In the Predator thread on the Intrada boards, Doug Fake posted this at the end of a lengthy post about the sell-out and limited edition pressing numbers:

I hope all of you that jumped into the PREDATOR fray will join us on August 17 for our next offering but whether it generates excitement like this last one is a question I'm too chicken to bet on. Still... it's fun to imagine.

Could that mean BACK TO THE FUTURE 2????????

You have to be careful with what Doug says. He's admitted he leaves the clues to Roger so don't read too much into what he says.

That doesn't mean it won't happen but don't get too excited.

I agree with Mark O. that you should be careful as to what Doug says. Let Roger throw the bones (clues) at us. The only time I would really read what Doug says is if he posts something on his wall.

Hmm, I thought the BTTF 2 boot was a solid listen. Same with BTTF3 - I liked them both more than their OST arrangements. Seemed to introduce more variety into each score

Yes, especially 2. MCA's OST is not very excting. Lots of the same stuff. Of course the whole score itself lacks variety like the other two. But the complete score would add more of the alternate 1985 material. Makes a significantly more satisfying listen. The end cues seem more triumphant that way.

Roger says:

Well, both titles are from the 80s. One's a premiere release at 1200 units, the other is a straight re-issue at 3000.

And don't forget that Doug said:

I hope all of you that jumped into the PREDATOR fray will join us on August 17 for our next offering but whether it generates excitement like this last one is a question I'm too chicken to bet on. Still... it's fun to imagine.

I guess it's not Back To The Future 2 - I'd imagine they'd expand that if they were going to release it.

The 3,000 straight re-issue must be a something from a big composer (Williams, Goldsmith, Silvestri, Horner, etc) that is now out of print.

The 1200 release I have no idea. Way too many films that never had a film score CD to guess at without further clues.

Thoughts?

Well, it doesn't necessarily have to already be complete... maybe Intrada was unable to find elements necessary to expand the score, a la Link.

Trying to think of 80's OSTs that are now out of print that would warrant a 3,000 copy re-issue

John Williams - SpaceCamp, Always

Jerry Goldsmith - Night Crossing, Supergirl, Link, Legend, Warlock, Lionheart, Explorers

Alan Silvestri - Flight Of The Navigator, No Mercy

James Horner - Cocoon, Dad, The Land Before Time

Yea that would be greet too. I have the Japanese release, but it's classic 80's Williams that I would love to have completely remastered.

I'm not sure they'd reissue Varese's Supergirl with the Silva expanded edition still in print. Also, Legend never technically had a Goldsmith OST in the US - Tangerine Dream's score was issued by Varese, but Silva premiered the Goldsmith score in 92 (reissued in 02). Japan had one, though. There was a limited LP pressing internationally as well, although this was possibly promotional (although either are the source of the Up-Art footwarmer). In any case, I can't see Intrada pressing a shorter version of something already available elsewhere in longer form (although Varese's Supergirl does omit the electronic overlays, which is a plus in some people's book).

Until we get more clues from Roger the 3,000 unit can be practically anything no point in driving ourselves mad with guessing.

By the way in regards to BTTF 2 I love the sessions for that as well, same goes for the sessions for Part 3. The OST counter parts for both BTTF 2 and 3 are less than desirable and the sequencing for BTTF 3 is freaking horrible.

I interpreted Roger's comment to mean they were re-issuing an 80's OST, and not a 80's film that never had an OST that another specialty label has already taken a crack it, though I could be wrong.

If a film doesn't have a soundtrack released soon after the film is, then doesn't that mean the first crack a speciality label takes at it would be the original soundtrack? If FSM released Family Plot, wouldn't that release be an OST?

I'm hoping for Cocoon, SpaceCamp, and The Land before Time. Can't immediately think of other candidates, but I'm sure there's tons.

Yeah I would think SpaceCamp would be expanded, but then again Intrada's Monsignor wasn't. Or were there no masters for that one and they had to reissue the LP?

Hmm, what's a 3,000 copy sell out that's now hard to find, but already complete?

Commando? Not sure if it's complete, but it'd be an awesome reissue, especially following Predator.

I think it is complete. The score isn't very diverse. I'd buy it if that's it, though.

Intrada's Monsignor wasn't. Or were there no masters for that one and they had to reissue the LP?

Bingo.

I could be wrong but I think they never specified why it was a reissue of the LP. They said something along the lines of there not being that much unreleased music left in the film. I distinctly got the feeling that they were content with the LP programme themselves and just didn't bother to secure rights or look for the master or whatever.

If this had been a Goldsmith score, all hell would have broken loose on the FSM board.

I believe Doug Fake had mentioned that there was 3 minutes or so of unreleased music, however it was just a repeat of cues already on the album.

Plus there is actually more music on the album than what appeared in the film.

I watched the film when it was on Hulu and did an analysis of the music, but I forgot to ever post it—but now I will!—and I found that there were four short unreleased cues, totaling about 4 1/3 minutes. Nothing huge, but the short finale cue is quite nice.

Commando? Not sure if it's complete, but it'd be an awesome reissue, especially following Predator.

I think it is complete. The score isn't very diverse. I'd buy it if that's it, though.

No, the OOP Commando release isn't complete. I thought you hated that score, Koray. Didn't you call it "hilariously awful"?

If it's Land Before Time, I wouldn't mind if it were remastered. Even though I do have the original MCA disc but I'd buy it again if Intrada re-issued it.

What? It's more like hilariously awesome!

Absolutely. 80s action movie Horner is awesome. Speaking of which, where the hell is 48 Hrs?

48 HRS. has a darker edge to it than Commando and it takes itself a little bit more seriously, but I still love both. ;)

No, the OOP Commando release isn't complete. I thought you hated that score, Koray. Didn't you call it "hilariously awful"?

Yeah I think I recall that. It's just so over-the-top and inappropriate, but that's what makes it good. I love it.