The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

Listening to Predator and love the clarity of this. However, there are two things I've found that I do not like at all in terms of editing.

1: "Girl's Escape / Blaine's Death", they should have had it like the Varèse set, hell this even cuts off the last couple of notes from "Girl's Escape".

2: "Billy and Predator", again they cut the last couple of notes off for "Billy" and it segues very weird into "Predator".

I wonder why they couldn't have had the presentation of the cues like the Varèse set. Not sure if I'm gonna find any more bad edits but so far these are the only two I've run across.

Roger says

I'll say it's one of my favorite Williams' scores and I've prized that SLC release (even with it's rather muddy sound) all these years. As Doug explained it to me, the Japanese labels in the 80s and 90s always preferred working with 1/4" analog masters, even when better elements were available. Nonetheless, it's a masterpiece to me. Along with THE REIVERS.

ACCIDENTAL TOURIST is not one I could ever get into...mainly I thought the score in full length was a bit monotonous, although parts of it I do like.

I think SPACECAMP is a bit more obscure title that people realize. The film is not readily available, it was never popular, and the LP didn't do well enough for RCA to push onto CD, which was becoming dominant at the time. Question is, did the film perform any better/worse than MONSIGNOR?

Roger

SpaceCamp came out at a bad time. Right when the Challenger explosion occurred.

I'll never forget that day.

So by that did he basically confirm it is Spacecamp?

I'm not sure. In the context of the thread on Intrada's forum, it was Roger simply discussing the score. But he seems to know quite a bit about it.

Intrada has posted higher resolution (600x600px) cover art for some of their releases on their product pages:

http://intrada.net/cv6/Predator.jpg

http://intrada.net/cv6/GeoWash.jpg

http://intrada.net/cv6/RoboCop.jpg

... and others ...

A nice courtesy for those who care about that sort of thing, like myself.

Starting with the CDs on Page 3 of the Special Collections, there are links for the 600 x 600 covers. And George Washington appears to be the only Signature title.

Intrada has posted higher resolution (600x600px) cover art for some of their releases on their product pages:

http://intrada.net/cv6/Predator.jpg

http://intrada.net/cv6/GeoWash.jpg

http://intrada.net/cv6/RoboCop.jpg

... and others ...

A nice courtesy for those who care about that sort of thing, like myself.

Hotlinking, are we? Uncool, bro. ;)

Would that be found at:

http://intrada.net/cv6/

?

I only found that by reverse engineering Jacob's link, but what's the "front door" to get there?

Clever girl...

There's just a link near the top of the individual product pages, labeled "600x600 Cover".

E.g.: http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.6705/.f

www.intrada.com

Really...

Are there 600x600 res scans for other vendors' artwork, specifically LLR? FSM has them readily available, but Varese has a pesky "do not right click me" script on their pages that forces me to reverse engineer the link or raid my cache folder to find the files.

FSM has started to provide high resolution covers at their website on some of the newer releases, SAE also has the same links.

From time to time LaLaLand will give high res cover scans. MV posted images for the last trio of Krull, Batman and Predators in the announcement thread at FSM.

Varese, no.

You can try Amazon and I have a link I can send you later on tonite for high res covers. I don't remember the name of the site but I have it saved at home.

Unfortunately some of the scans from people other than the labels are rather poor at times.

FSM has them readily available, but Varese has a pesky "do not right click me" script on their pages that forces me to reverse engineer the link or raid my cache folder to find the files.

Go to www.colosseum.de.

You're right, I did get the high res covers of K, B, and P that you mentioned, and have them saved in a massive folder of stuff, which is slightly better than not having them at all.

I'd scan covers in myself, but I can't find the adapter for my flatbed.

Roger has provided one last clue about Tuesday's 1200 unit Premiere Release of an 80's score:

It's dark. Literally the film and musically the score.

Remember, the first clue was

The 1200 release is from a thriller, and offers this composers' most serious, dark work that I've come across. Definitely different from his usual upbeat style.

When asked to clarify his "dark" comment, Roger says:

Dark in many senses, although I was specifically thinking about how the bulk of the movie takes place at night.

Dark in many senses, although I was specifically thinking about how the bulk of the movie takes place at night.

Quit policing me, jeez.

I don't think this has been posted yet, but the reissue seems almost certainly to be SpaceCamp:

The other CD sports a reissue of a title first available as a generous LP when the movie opened in the eighties, then appearing again on a very short-lived CD a few years later. Yep. Another Oscar-winning composer showing off, here writing in his most popular and exciting style. Bold, robust, dynamic stuff. And a powerhouse finale that ranks with the best of 'em!

Quit policing me, jeez.

:P

Wait, so has it been confirmed that it's SpaceCamp? And if so, how good is the score really?

It's Williams writing in his '80s style, so it's very tonal, melodic and upbeat, with lots of shimmering textures, brilliant fanfares and catchy motifs. If you want a reference, it's quite similar to his two Amazing Stories scores.

I've decided against. While the suite starts with some nice Williams fanfares, it gradually goes into a much more classical style, and passages which (having not seen the film) really mean little to me. I'd never listen to it.

After listening to the suite...I might buy it, if it is SpaceCamp. (Which does seem very likely.) This music is really well put together. I haven't heard any melodies that are particularly memorable, at least after the first listen, but the tonalities and orchestrational choices are brilliant, as usual.

I don't know how Williams creates the textures he does. Even once I've spent hours studying the score for a really spectacular cue, I feel like I only understand the most superficial level of how he creates such outstanding effects. That man is a freak. Something wired wrong in his brain.

I agree with Trent. It's got a long perceived history of being "expensive" on the secondary market. It's from Johnny's golden era. It's subject matter and genre of scoring is very accessible and listenable. I don't see this hanging on like Monsignor. Assuming it is indeed SpaceCamp of course.

Wait, so has it been confirmed that it's SpaceCamp? And if so, how good is the score really?

It may surprise you. It's extremely listenable. It won't knock your socks off, or give you something new, but a pleasant score that has classic Williams' characteristics all over it.

Tim

It may surprise you. It's extremely listenable. It won't knock your socks off, or give you something new, but a pleasant score that has classic Williams' characteristics all over it.

Yeah, based on the suite, that seems like it's probably a fair description. Assuming the price is reasonable, I'll probably pick this up while I can. Unfortunately, I'll be working tomorrow night when the announcement is made, but I doubt it'll sell out in a matter of hours, even though it probably will go quickly.