The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

Aha!

Roger just confirmed its from the 80s!!!!!!!

So far, only the Jerry Fielding guesses seem most likely.

That's what you think. We'll go with the 80s and leave it at that.

80's guesses:

John Barry - 1980 - Raise The Titanic, Somewhere In Time

John Barry - 1986 - My Sister's Keeper, Peggy Sue Got Married

Bill Conti - 1981 - Dynasty, Falcon Crest

Bill Conti - 1983 - Bad Boys, The Terry Fox Story

Bill Conti - 1986 - Nomads, Big Trouble

Bill COnti - 1987 - Napoleon & Josephine: A Love Story, A Prayer For The Dying

Georges Delerue - 1983 - Something Wicked This Way Comes, Silkwood, Liberty Belle, Confidentially Yours, One Deadly Summer

Robert Folk -1984 - Police Academy, Bachelor Party

Jerry Goldsmith - 1981 - Raggedy Man, Night Crossing

Jerry Goldsmith - 1984 - Supergirl, The Lonely Guy

James Horner - 1981 - Deadly Blessing, The Hand, The Pursuit of DB Cooper

James Horner - 1983 - The Dresser, Brainstorm

James Horner - 1985 - Volunteers, Cocoon

Michael Kamen - 1989 - Road House, Rooftops, Renegades

Basil Poledouris - 1989 - Farewell to the King, Wired

Craig Safan - 1984 - The Last Starfighter, Angel

Alan Silvestri - 1985 - Fandango & Cat's Eye

Alan Silvestri - 1986 - American Anthem, No Mercy

Alan Silvestri - 1989 - The Abyss, Back To The Future II

John Williams - 1987 - Witches of Eastwick, Empire of the Sun

John Williams - 1989 - Always, Born on the 4th of July

I'll take:

John Barry - 1980 - Raise The Titanic, Somewhere In Time

Jerry Goldsmith - 1984 - Supergirl, The Lonely Guy

Alan Silvestri - 1989 - The Abyss, Back To The Future II

John Williams - 1987 - Witches of Eastwick, Empire of the Sun

John Williams - 1989 - Always, Born on the 4th of July

I would not buy BTTF II. The OST is more than sufficient, as the only essential cue not cut-and-pasted from the first film is the holy-crap-it's-so-cool-I'm-a-dude-with-tears-in-my-eyes great moment when Marty gets the telegram in 1955 from 1885. Other than that, the album is a dust collector.

I really like the "Leaving 2015" and "Hell Valley" cues, myself, and I'm rather baffled that the "I'm Back" cue wasn't included on the OST. Both versions of the Part III preview also give nice presentations of the Western theme. I'd go for it.

I am not expecting one of the releases to be Back To The Future Part 2. All though if and I stretch, the if it is I'd buy it. The complete presentation of the score is a lot better than the OST.

I find the complete set for part 2 overkill - I made a 30 min compilation of the best bits and that's all I need. Not an expansion I'd buy. Same goes for part 3.

I wouldn't say that it's due to a quality drop, just the different requirements for the film, which while good, is my least favourite of the series.

Judging from the original album, it's mostly a rehash of material from the first score, but with a seriously bored orchestra and bad acoustics. I don't remember anything in the film changing my opinion about this.

1/9/12

Be with us this evening when we post two new releases to start off the new year. Both CDs offer world premiere releases of soundtracks to action pictures... written by the same composer! And completed one right after the other no less. Enjoy a double dose of stereo adrenaline from the eighties! Look for artwork and sound samples this evening and order away!

So.... 80's "action pictures", completed one after the other.... by the same composer.... in the same year.... that never had an OST before.

Gotta be:

Michael Kamen - 1989 - Road House, Renegades

INTRADA Announces:

ROAD HOUSE

Music Composed and Conducted by MICHAEL KAMEN

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 190

For the 1989 MGM film Road House, Michael Kamen scored most of the film’s romance and drama with an array of keyboards, guitar, drums and synthesized strings. His main theme is gentle Americana, with a feel for the outdoors. Other cues are more subtle, underscoring both the blossoming romance between the leads and the growing tension that builds throughout the picture, ultimately exploding in violence. Then, in a flamboyant example of dramatic film scoring, Kamen switches to a large orchestra for the climactic fight and final showdown, providing a pair of powerful orchestral action cues that add weight to the violence on screen.

For this premiere CD presentation of the score (a previous release was strictly a song compilation), Intrada was able to locate all but one of the nine 2” 24-track scoring session master reels. While this allowed for brand new two-track mixes of most of score, the lone missing reel contained two cues: the orchestral version of “Emmet’s House Explodes” and the sequence immediately after Dalton finds his best friend mortally wounded prior to the final confrontation. Nonetheless, the remaining 48 minutes, including an unused orchestral end title, provides a compelling listen to a Michael Kamen score long overdue for release.

Road House stars Patrick Swayze as Dalton, who manages to transform a sleazy dive, where a good night is one where no one dies, into a clean and popular nightspot. In doing so, Dalton draws the attention of the wealthiest and most sadistic local citizen Wesley, who sees the town as his property. After Dalton calls in his mentor to help in the ongoing hostilities with Wesley, the violence quickly escalates, resulting in a final, deadly confrontation in Wesley’s mansion.

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 190

Retail Price: $19.99

Available Now

For track listing and sound samples, please visit

http://store.intrada...it.A/id.7420/.f

Michael Kamen

ROAD HOUSE

Label: Intrada Special Collection Volume 190

Date: 1989

Tracks: 14

Time = 48:19

At last! World premiere release of Michael Kamen soundtrack from popular Rowdy Herrington action picture with Patrick Swayze in iconic role as Dalton, expert bouncer, teamed with friend Sam Elliot against ultra-baddie Ben Gazzara. Kelly Lynch brings romance, Jeff Healey Band adds local color. Kamen writes to small town environment, bar scene with signature guitar, keyboard work, then for climactic fight scenes, dramatically ushers in powerhouse large-scale orchestral action material. Ferocious "Dalton and Reno Fight" is terrific highlight, ditto film version of "The Final Confrontation". In balance is warm theme for outdoor country farm atmosphere where Dalton resides. Intrada lands once missing actual 2" 24-track session masters stored in MGM vaults in excellent condition, then licenses courtesy Sony to make score available for first time, newly remixed, mastered in superb stereo sound. One of composer's most oft-requested scores, finally available! Only discordant note: one solitary reel containing two brief orchestral sequences remains lost to the ages. However, in addition to all major cues, remaining reels also featured several cues not used in picture, including early original version of "Final Confrontation" plus instrumental "Final Theme" written for but not used at end of movie. Michael Kamen conducts. Intrada Special Collection release available while quantities and interest remain!

01. The Homestead (Dalton's Theme) 2:37

02. Tai Chi 1:33

03. Nobody Ever Wins A Fight 1:52

04. Drop Like A Stone 3:15

05. Invitation To Brads 1:54

06. On The Rooftop 5:41

07. Loading Dock Fight 7:44

08. This Is My Town 3:13

09. Emmet's House Explodes [Original Version] 1:01

10. Dalton And Reno Fight 3:19

11. Heads Or Tails? 3:00

12. The Final Confrontation [Original Version] 4:44

13. The Final Confrontation [Film Version] 6:15

14. Final Theme 1:54

Due 01/20/12 (Out of Stock)

Price: $19.99

RoadHouse.jpg

INTRADA Announces:

RENEGADES

Music Composed and Conducted by MICHAEL KAMEN

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 192

While the 1989 Morgan Creek film Renegades follows the tried-and-true traditions of “buddy cop” pictures, this time only one of the pair is a cop while the other is a member of the Lakota Indian tribe. At the center of the picture is a sacred lance, stolen by robbers during a violent getaway. Michael Kamen used this sacred lance as the focal point for the score. Mysticism, subtle drama and other low-key ideas take prominence in his score for keyboards, strings, Native American colors and percussion. Kamen’s use of bird-like winds and steady drumbeats conveys the Lakotas’ peaceful nature and the deeply felt spiritual power of their ancient totem. While there is also significant action, the emphasis is on terse rhythmic motifs for low-key piano and synthesizer. While most of the score is sparse and transparent, there is a considerable amount involved, with roughly two thirds of the finished picture containing music.

Renegades stars Kiefer Sutherland and Lou Diamond Phillips and was Inspired by the Babylonian quest of Gilgamesh (teaming a civilized king with an “unspoiled native”), and first-time screenwriter David Rich sought to bring together a noble American Indian and a brash Philadelphia cop—their culture clash brought about when his undercover investigation-gone-wrong results in the bloody, big-city theft of a sacred tribal lance.

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 192

Retail Price: $19.99

Available Now

For track listing and sound samples, please visit

http://store.intrada...it.A/id.7419/.f

Michael Kamen

RENEGADES

Label: Intrada Special Collection Volume 192

Date: 1989

Tracks: 16

Time = 77:14

World premiere of original soundtrack by Michael Kamen to action thriller directed by Jack Sholder, starring Kiefer Sutherland, Lou Diamond Phillips, Jami Gertz. Botched robbery leads to theft of sacred tribal lance, dangerous pursuit by cop Sutherland in uneasy alliance with Lakota Indian Phillips. Kamen writes significant action, especially in ferocious final pursuit, showdown, but heart of score is idea for sacred lance. Kamen uses small ensemble of strings, flute, piano, electronic keyboards, guitars, percussion to create low key music with focus on Native American color, texture. Action material draws from dynamic piano ostinati, busy percussion figures. Several lengthy cues a big asset, crisp stereo sound another. Complete score, including music not heard in final picture, courtesy mint condition 1/4" two track stereo masters stored in Universal vaults, licensed through Morgan Creek. Michael Kamen conducts. Intrada Special Collection release available while quantities and interest remain!

01. Main Title 3:44

02. Buster's Bust 2:58

03. The Robbery 10:01

04. The Lance [Alt] 4:16

05. Buster Takes A Bullet 1:43

06. First Aid 1:43

07. Medicine Stone 4:34Hear This Track

08. Nothing To Worry About 0:39

09. Beauty Parlor Source 3:36

10. Department Store 6:33

11. Broken Stone, Broken Spirit 12:15

12. Blazing Bullets, Flaming Lance 10:12

13. Brown Ridge & Find Me 4:14

Total Album Time 68:58

The Extras

14. The Lance 4:03

15. Blazing Bullets, Flaming Lance [Alt] 1:32

16. Brown Ridge [Film Version] 2:32

Total Extras Time 8:09

Due 01/11/12 (Out of Stock)

Price: $19.99

Renegades.jpg

I feel like it's somehow my fault when these labels put out albums that I'm not interested in. I mean, it probably is, as a result of never having seen either film and only a casual interest in the composer. But still.

I think Intrada was smart to release Renegades on the same day as Road House. Probably move more copies than if it was released the same day as some other random score

No, the blurb says:

Only discordant note: one solitary reel containing two brief orchestral sequences remains lost to the ages.

Previously the "Final Confrontation" cue couldn't be found either, but it apparently turned up - with an alterate version to boot!

Didn't you look at the track list?

12. The Final Confrontation [Original Version] 4:44

13. The Final Confrontation [Film Version] 6:15

1/10/12

Thank you for a nice response to our Michael Kamen double-header. The start of the new year is monkeying with our scheduling... or, rather our manufacturing plant is. Ok, it's even possible (albeit unlikely) we're making a mess of it ourselves. Whichever it may be, thank you for your understanding while we get things back into our normally reliable every-two-weeks routine. In fact, it appears Road House will arrive just a day or two ahead of the next two new releases, slated for January 24. Plenty of stuff to choose from.

THE SAND PEBBLES. As in, I can't get enough of it lately. I'm pumped up enough to want to share an observation with you folks that probably isn't obvious to most people. It's a part of the musical architecture, and it's an amazing little device! Thanks to new restoration work done by Mike Matessino and Nick Redman, you should notice improved stereo separation, especially with the violins on the left, violas in the center and celli on the right. Also, percussion tracks are balanced more in keeping with the actual multi-channel film presentation than the old two-track mixes made back in '66. Anyway, so what you might not have noticed. Of course, it may be small potatoes to you, but it's really cool to me. Bear with me. Julie Kirgo touches on this in her notes, so I'm just elaborating. Hopefully it'll bring you new depth to this amazing, multi-layered score.

Check out the "Main Title". You'll hear strings in the minor, playing notes and sliding down a half-step, landing on chords, sliding back up, slowly forming what amounts to a four-note motif. It's there all the way through the piece. No main theme, no love theme, no San Pablo theme, no Chinese love theme. Nope. Nada. Just the sliding minor key idea growing louder and louder. So why does Jerry Goldsmith avoid his tunes and create his all-important main title from such a seemingly unimportant idea? Here's what gets me excited.

This idea disappears completely after those opening credits, all the way until the famous "Death Of A Thousand Cuts" sequence. With the killing of a central character who was close to Jake Holman (Steve McQueen), this sliding motif finally returns here... linking Holman permanently to the death of his friend, and the crisis of conscience he now begins to undergo. The death troubles him deeply, the motif reminds us of where the score truly began. Then the idea goes away again, for a long long time. With absolute genius, Goldsmith brings it back for just a brief moment when, late in the movie as the final battle approaches, Holman stares through the sights of his Browning Automatic Rifle, only to immediately recall the tragic death of his friend earlier, courtesy that same rifle. He puts the weapon down a moment, the sliding motif again goes away. But his conscience still grinds. And, in another musical stroke of genius, the idea enters yet briefly again when Holman becomes responsible for another tragic death, this time of a young student. Finally, when the picture is over, and this crisis of conscience has found closure, Goldsmith says a final farewell to the idea. Wow! For a score with so much thematic material, so much to work with, only an utter genius like Goldsmith would find the entire emotional core of a mammoth picture like this and then write to it with such a tiny motif so judiciously placed. So, again. Wow!

Well my Star Trek IV CD did NOT come in the mail today. I am pretty sure the Post Office screwed up some where and my CD is now in limbo. Intrada told me to email them today if the CD had not gotten here, since it did I fired off the email and they wrote back saying a replacement would go out today.

I told them in the email that I think they're awesome (still awesome) as I've ordered directly from them before with out any problems. This incident clearly is NOT Intrada's fault but the Post Office. I hope the replacement gets here with out any problems.

BTW I did have my address 100% correct when I bought the CD. Even with first class shipping from California to Utah NEVER takes this long. Hell people back east got theirs last week!

Intrada has announced that 2 more titles will be going OOP soon:

Gator by Charles Bernstein

The Golden Seal by John Barry and Dana Krapoff

Also their next 2 releases are only 5 days away, hopefully we will get clues soon!

Roger has posted the first clues for their January 24th releases:

One title is part 3.

The other sounds something like this: http://www.intrada.n...une/myst3ry.m3u

Source: http://www.intrada.n...php?f=12&t=4591

I'd guess the first is Battlestar Galactica Volume III by Stu Philips

An FSMer says that the clip for the second title sounds like One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

An FSMer figured out the title that Roger gave the sample for. It's Lee Holdridge's "Winston Churchill - Walking With Destiny" from 2010.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1727596/

The music in Roger's clip is from the End Credits, which is available streaming on Lee Holdridge's official site:

http://www.leeholdridge.com/

So now all we need to do is figure out the "Part 3" movie

Part 3 could probably be from a lot of movies that had multiple sequels IE: Robocop, Predator and such. It could be from a lot of movies that had a Part 3.

The complete boot for BTTF 3 I'm happy with knowing that we'll never see an official release for it.