The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

First clue!

Both Special Collection titles. One large scale animated score from the 90s. The other our third release by a composer who is severely underrepresented. This one stems from the early 80s.

Source: http://intrada.net/p...php?f=12&t=4621

Hmmmmmm non-Disney animated movies from the 90's........... Anastasia?

hmmm. probably.

there is also thumbelina, ferngully, american tail 2, balto but the largest scale I think is Anastasia...

edit: oh, just saw the source. Why it has to be non-Disney? it doesn't say so..

It won't be a Disney animated movie, because that would get released on the Intrada/Disney line, not the Special Collection line.

Here's a list of 90's animated movies:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_animated_feature_films:_1990s

Here are some major non-Disney scores I picked out from that list:

Alan Silvestri - FernGully The Last Rainforest

Henry Mancini - Tom and Jerry: The Movie

James Horner - An American Tail: Fievel Goes West

James Horner - Once Upon A Forest

James Horner - We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story

James Horner - The Pagemaster

James Horner - Balto

David Newman - Anastasia

John Powell and Harry Gregson Williams - Antz

Hans Zimmer - The Prince of Egypt

Michael Kamen - The Iron Giant

Honestly a Horner title seems the most likely

As for the Early 80s score: Gil Melle?

It turns out Kamen already has 3 releases (Company Business, Roadhouse, and Renegades)

---

New clue from Roger:

The interesting thing about the animated title is the timing of the release is rather unique...and totally coincidental.

Ferngully is coming out on Blu Ray soon, so I guess that's it!

I looked at a bunch of 90s animated movies to see if they were first released theatrically on February 7th, but I couldn't find any that were.

Avatar complete score? Wow, that wasn't expected!

That joke doesnt even make sense, its not 90's

The joke is that there was a lot of discussion when Avatar was released about the similarities between Avatar and Ferngully... as well as Avatar/Pocahontas. :)

I think Pagemaster is already complete on the original CD.

Yeah; as I recall correctly there really wasn't anything missing on the original soundtrack. I'd love a remastered version though!

Well An American Tail was from the 80s, and the new Intrada disc is from the 90s, so it could be An American Tail: Fievel Goes West, but can't be the original film

An FSM poster said:

What if the coincidence refers to Balto? The Yukon Quest dog sled race starts tomorrow and the Iditarod starts in March.

Could mean something, could not

Lord of the Rings - Leonard Rosenman! ;):lick:

That's from the late 70s. And I believe it's had all the releases it needs? I adore the score, but I don't think there anything that can be done to further improve the existing releases at this point.

That's from the late 70s. And I believe it's had all the releases it needs? I adore the score, but I don't think there anything that can be done to further improve the existing releases at this point.

...I was joking.

We made a decision. Ever since the holidays, our plant has been running 5 days behind us. That combined with upcoming vacation schedules, we decided to shift the next two release cycles back one week. So they will be 2/14 and 2/28 and then we resume on 3/6 (just a week later). Sorry for the confusion, but it smooths things out. No exact science here!

Completely screws up that neat confluence on Feb. 7th of one of the titles, but such is life. This one, by the way, did have some selections on a composer promo at one point, but not nearly as complete as this release.

So Feb 7 means something.... but what??

What 90s animated feature had a composer promo but no OST?

Actually, I stand correct. One date changes and so did the other, so we'll announce on the 13th which is the same day the other thing is happening. Odd!

So theres some real life event happening this year that just got pushed back from Feb 7 to Feb 13 that ties into an animated movie from the 90s that had a composer promo but no score CD.... we gotta able to figure this out!!

The title is Robert Folk's "A Troll In Central Park". It had a composer promo but no score CD, and Varese's release of Robert Folk's "There Be Dragons" OST just got pushed back from Feb 7 to Feb 14.

• 2 weeks later...

Doug says:

I guess it's sort of a Valentine's Day thing. Not really sweets, but a pair of new CDs from us that offer two scores never before available. Sort of sweet music for your ears.

One CD gives you an hour of music from an action pic that had two different scores done by the same composer. The producers requested the composer alter several cues and supplement the initial score with numerous additional cues using a large orchestra. It's a vibrant, powerful work... especially in crisp stereo sound! The second CD also has some really powerful music for large orchestra, but this time everything is more florid and briskly paced. It races for more than an hour and rarely lets up. Both releases are in our Special Collection series and will be available while interest and quantities remain. Watch for artwork and sound samples this evening. Orders begin shipping tomorrow, Tuesday the 14th. Happy Valentine's Day!

Source: http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4635

They don't announce them until after they have closed shipping for the day, and they are on California time. They don't ship anything until tomorrow.

I much prefer La-La Land's way (announcing a week ahead of time)

INTRADA Presents:

421173_10150557557352169_569387168_8804636_1490498606_n.jpg

BORDERLINE

Music Composed and Conducted by GIL MELLE

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 194

Composer Gil Mellé wrote highly experimental music for his film projects, melding orchestral writing with jazz, blending electronics with percussion, and utilizing both pleasant and dissonant harmonies. Yet, even with his history of experimentation, Mellé found the 1980 feature Borderline to be an unusual challenge. He composed over an hour of music but considerably less than that was used in the finished picture. And in an unusual turn of events much of his score was actually recorded twice. His initial approach was brazen, with an array of unusual ideas that were symphonic as well as jazz-based. It is rich with intense harmonies, full of percussion activity, and brimming with significant electronic keyboard effects and featuring a plethora of brass. As it turned out, the producers weren’t fully satisfied with this austere approach and Mellé went back to rescore several sequences, bringing in new and more accessible thematic ideas as well as incorporating a slightly more traditional harmonic language performed by the London Symphony Orchestra. The final film draws from sizeable portions of both scoring approaches, although many cues are heavily truncated in the film and several appear in places different from where they were intended to go.

Intrada's premiere release of Borderline features all the music from the stereo 1/4" masters stored by Denise Mellé.

Borderline is the first of the “Mexploitation” films of the early ’80s featuring predatory smugglers who traffic in illegal immigrants. Charles Bronson plays Border Patrol agent Jeb Maynard, in charge of a group understaffed, underpaid and overworked patrolmen on the southern California border. Ed Harris plays a Marine Vietnam veteran who makes money transporting poor undocumented immigrants across the border to work as cheap labor. When Maynard’s senior deputy, Agent Scooter Jackson (Wilford Brimley), stops a tomato truck for a routine inspection, he discovers it is filled with human cargo. Hotchkiss greets the deputy with a shotgun blast, killing him instantly—along with an innocent teenage boy who is standing nearby. After Border Patrol agents discover the bodies, they call in the F.B.I. Assuming the murders resulted from a drug transaction gone wrong, the federal agents begin to work the case only to find evidence that makes Maynard think otherwise.

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 194

Retail Price: $19.99

Available Now

For track listing and sound samples, please visit

http://store.intrada...it.A/id.7445/.f

BORDERLINE

Label: Intrada Special Collection Volume 194

Date: 1980

Tracks: 19

Time = 60:31

World premiere release of vibrant, powerful Gil Melle score for Jerrold Freedman topical action thriller set amidst U.S. Border Patrol activity with Mexican migrant workers, starring Charles Bronson, Bruno Kirby and very young Ed Harris. Melle creates unusually punchy, vivid score primarily for brass, strings, keyboards, soloists using L.A. session players plus his own "Jazz Electronauts" ensemble. Results are striking, experimental. Then producers requested additional music for large symphony, alterations to numerous cues. Melle re-scored sequences with London Symphony Orchestra, melded both scores into one major work. Results combine dynamic symphonic music with flashes of experimental composition, jazz plus array of solo colors. Wow! Intrada presents full score from 1/4" 15 ips two-track stereo mixes made at both L.A. & London recording sessions, courtesy ITC Entertainment & Granada Ventures, beautifully vaulted at composer's estate. While much of score is mixed with traditional elements in mind (violins on left, cellos on right, so forth), Melle also creates experimental mixes of several cues, sending all strings in one direction, brass in another and panning percussion, electronics, soloists all across audio spectrum. Vivid listening experience! Gil Melle conducts. Intrada Special Collection release available while quantities and supplies last.

01. The First Two Thoughts 2:29

02. Borderline Titles 1:40

03. Seismic Sensor 6:19

04. Tracking 4:24

05. This Is The Place 4:27

06. News To Deliver 1:46

07. Tijuana Bar 2:14

08. Tijuana Trouble 3:17

09. Fight For Survival 7:07

10. The Big Haul Begins 4:42

11. The Watchdog 1:31

12. Prepare To Siege 3:19

13. Busting Karl 5:29

14. Find The Illegals 3:15

15. Spotting Hotchkiss 0:18

16. So Many 1:04

17. Final Chase 2:13

18. Matching Shoes 0:38

19. Borderline Credits 5:45

Gil Melle

Price: $19.99

INTRADA Announces:

424142_10150557556877169_569387168_8804633_1602042349_n.jpg

A TROLL IN CENTRAL PARK

Music Composed and Conducted by ROBERT FOLK

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 195

For the 1994 animated feature A Troll in Central Park, Don Bluth and Gary Goldman sought a colorful, imaginative score and engaged composer Robert Folk, who in turn delivered a rollercoaster ride for large orchestra and both chorus and boys' choir. Folk's primary emphasis is on action and dazzling pace, while bringing a considerable degree of cohesion to his score. Folk was asked to call upon his classical chops for the score. “I think animation is the perfect musical landscape for classical training,” he says. “Animated films tend to get big orchestral scores,with choir. The personality and character of the themes get to reflect the children’s world a little more, so you get to be ethereal and dreamlike, and speak to the elements of magic. In most live action films you have to subordinate what you’re doing.”

Working from complete digital two-track stereo scoring session mixes, including all of the choral overdubs, Intrada presents this powerhouse score in it's entirety, including one song.

A Troll in Central Park is the tale of a friendly troll named Stanley. Endowed with a green thumb able to produce flowers from stone, Stanley (voiced by Dom DeLuise) dreams of a world made of good deeds and Edenic vegetation. Because of his good nature and illegal gardening, he is banished from the Kingdom of the Trolls to the famous New York City park. There, he meets young Gus and his little sister Rosie. Stanley attempts to teach a wayward Gus the power of dreaming, but only after the evil troll queen Gnorga kidnaps Rosie, turns Gus into a troll and is finally vanquished does Gus learn the superior magic of all things good and green.

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 195

Retail Price: $19.99

Available Now

For track listing and sound samples, please visit

http://store.intrada...it.A/id.7446/.f

TROLL IN CENTRAL PARK, A

Label: Intrada Special Collection Volume 195

Date: 1994

Tracks: 15

Time = 64:27

World premiere release of florid, exciting Robert Folk score for Don Bluth/Gary Goldman animation film from 20th Century Fox. Folk scores with emphasis on lively excitement, robust action for full orchestra. Score melds tuneful ideas with incredibly busy, fast-paced activity. Results are colorful, dynamic. Several lengthy cues add coherency to good vibes! Complete score presented from crisp two-track digital session masters. (Three songs were permanently wedded to sound effects and dialog of picture and, as such, are not included on this album.) But the score's the thing! Robert Folk conducts Irish Film Orchestras (the collective name given members of several Irish ensembles.) Intrada Special Collection release available while quantities and interest remain.

01. Main Title And Magic Thumb 5:40

02. Meteor Ride 2:52

03. The N.Y.C. Experience 2:42

04. Nuts And Butterflies 8:17

05. That First Kiss 3:47

06. Gus Meets Stanley 1:35

07. Waltzing 2:29

08. The Old Soft Petal 0:01:53

09. Ride The Sail Boat 5:40

10. Bed Of Flowers 7:04

11. Gnorga In The Park 3:41

12. Wake Up! 2:40