What Is The Last Film You Watched?

The Sum of All Fears. I hate to repeat myself, but I think this is one hell of a terrific film. Got in the mood to see it after seeing the newest film from Phillip Noyce, who directed the two least interesting.

Speaking of which- Salt. It's fun. Really predictable, and really stupid, but more often than not it is aware of exactly what kind of stupid it is, and revels in it. A lot can be read into this movie, but I ultimately did not find interesting enough to give it too much thought. Terrific sequence in the cathedral. Howard's score has its moment, I'm a sucker for Russian choir (though I understand much of the choir is left off of the released tracks).

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kick-Ass on Blu Ray. And I watched all the special features and bonus material . I'm just fascinated by the behind the scenes /making of features for this film. And there 's about 4 hours of it to watch starting by a movie length video director commentary (the movie is shown in a small window) while cool stuff plays plus other separate making of segments. You get a lot of material on how they filmed the stunts and various action scenes plus a lot of insight on the movie in general. Interestingly Matthew Vaughn talks about the score more then anything else in the director commentary. There's also a 20 minutes special feature just on the score itself and how they worked with 4 composers. John Williams is referenced several times (as the best film composer who ever lived) ,also Elfman,Morricone...

Also yesterday I saw Sorcerer's Apprentice in theater. Didn't really do much for me . Too much random CGI and the chemistry between the various actors was terrible and I was put off by the lead actor in general (Jay Baruchel).He's playing a nerd but not in a good way and he got on my nerves pretty fast. Nicholas Cage seemed like he didn't want to be in the movie.

The Hurt Locker: Doesn't really feel like a movie but more like a collection of short movies (about the same subject) with some of them good while others not so good. The biggest disadvantage is that its main character looks like James Belushi, especially when he's wearing a helmet. Very distracting. Also distracting were the cameos of that Lost chick and Ray Fiennes. Worst moment: Oh no, that nice Beckham kid who was friends with the main character is dead! Boo hoo! Why him?! Boo hoo! 4/10

Ghost In The Shell 2: Innocence: Anti-film. 1/10

Alex

I found The Hurt Locker unremarkable from the start - and I haven't seen all of it, that's how completely uneventful I found it. Best film of the year? That's as good as joke as Santaolalla.

It won so many accolades because it's about *war* and was directed by a female (wow!!!! :thumbup:).

Okay, a couple of things at work today have made me a bit irritable...

The Hurt Locker: Doesn't really feel like a movie but more like a collection of short movies (about the same subject) with some of them good while others not so good. The biggest disadvantage is that its main character looks like James Belushi, especially when he's wearing a helmet. Very distracting. Also distracting were the cameos of that Lost chick and Ray Fiennes. Worst moment: Oh no, that nice Beckham kid who was friends with the main character is dead! Boo hoo! Why him?! Boo hoo! 4/10

It's a highly regarded anti-war film that won a ton of Oscars. You will have respect! Or else...

I found The Hurt Locker unremarkable from the start - and I haven't seen all of it, that's how completely uneventful I found it. Best film of the year? That's as good as joke as Santaolalla.

It won so many accolades because it's about *war* and was directed by a female (wow!!!! :|).

Exactly! I watched it once on the basis of all the hype and was thoroughly disappointed. My sister loves anything with anti war themes as this movie definitely does, but she turned it off after 15 minutes. It was so boring. I could give less of a crap if it has a brilliant meaning. I'm the first person to defend boring movies with depth. I think up front entertainment should not be the only fact in judging a movie, but Jeebus, there was no entertainment at all. I was completely uninterested.

But that led to the main character having a cowboy mentality which is the exact opposite of what the job of bomb defuser asks for.

Not entirely true- the speed of being heedless is invaluable (as demonstrated with Guy Pierce).

The Lovely Bones: Better than I expected. 7/10

I forgot about that one Alex, how were the performances?

I saw JFK. It was a good film. I'd like to figure out how much of that was true, though. A bit hard to follow at times. The score was disapointingly hacked to pieces.

Pretty much all of it is fantasy. Bloody brilliant thriller though, the editing in particular just takes the piss.

The Lovely Bones: Better than I expected. 7/10

Still haven't got around to seeing it. I'm expecting a decent but flawed movie.

I saw JFK. It was a good film. I'd like to figure out how much of that was true, though.

Well, pretty much all of the movie is based on unchecked facts (remember Garrison would drug and hypnotize his witnesses) and assumptions. And then Deep Throat's confession, the magical unifying theory that gives the movie its meaning, is utter BS.

What I like about JFK, though, is that it can be seen as a "look what could be happening and you, unquestioning drones, wouldn't know about it" story, taken to an absurd extreme.

Lovely Bones was pretty boring and pointless

Missed opportunity.

Jackson sadly never found a convincing focus. Some great sequences, but the best of them would've worked without the dead girl in new age heaven stuff. The sequences involving Stanley Tucci were chilly and disturbing - how he lures the kid down the rabbit hole and what follows is a genuine 'i want to fast forward NOW' scene. But effective as it was, it had no place in the movie, since it directly leads to a typical serial killer plot. But to have the girl - which is a wonderful young actress - watch Marky Mark and her sister slowly discover the truth is just pointless. Which of course would've robbed Jackson of some nailbaiting sequences - and as we all know, Jackson loves his excesses.

I guess it would've worked if they sticked to the grieving parents and her gothic girlfriend becoming close with the guy she had a crush on. Still, the allusions to CASPER are hard to deny. The whole Tucci subplot could have been done only within his last scene at the cliff and it still would have been effective.

I forgot about that one Alex, how were the performances?

The girl was quite good, but as usual, it's the villain that steals the show. Marky Mark's performance was surpringly warm and tender. It's nice to see him play the loving father instead of the eternal tough guy.

The Lovely Bones treads the same ground as What Dreams May Come with Robin Williams, but does it without the insane amount of saccharine and sentimentality. What keeps it interesting is that Jackson is a fairly good storyteller. Moments like when the policeman and the killer are observing each other through the doors and windows of the dollhouse are the real fuel of the movie. It maybe a "missed opportunity", like publi said, but it's a good 'one-timer'.

Alex

What keeps it interesting is that Jackson is a fairly good storyteller. Moments like when the policeman and the killer are observing each other through the doors and windows of the dollhouse are the real fuel of the movie.

But then i'm pissed when the scene shifts from the killer's dungeon to an elvish pavillion covered in mist, where the lead actress bemoans her stolen childhood. It just doesn't come together. And as we all know, much worse than a simply-bad-movie is a potentially great one failing for whatever reason.

I saw the WOLFMAN - Director's Cut and, after reading some pretty gruelling reviews, was rather surprised that i found it somewhat agreeable. Granted, Del Toro looks either pissed off or near-comatose most of the film, making it hard to sympathize with him; also, the lame screenplay has the subtleness of concrete boots tapdancing on toy torpedos, but the set design is gorgeous, as is the photography. Gory effects were good (i'm one of those sickos liking this stuff), wolf effects looked good, too. Hopkins is very good, but too mischievous too early on. The score was shred to pieces, but Elfman's original conception still comes through and it's quite a good score.

Doofus moment (SPOILER!): When Talbot dies in Maria's arms after she shot him, he miraculously comes back to life just to mutter 'there was no other solution' to her. Whatever poetic notions the scene may have had, it was bulldozed with this.

I saw Lovely Bones back on release, and having not read the book, I found it an engrossing but flawed film. I still think Jackson has that spark that made Heavenly Creatures such a striking film, and I personally thought the heaven sequences worked well, until that other girl was introduced - she didn't seem to do anything for the plot.

I've read that the book deals more with the family reaction - I thought that was dealt with well in the film. The most critical responses I've seen to this movie are from those who have read the book. I was the same with the first Potter movie.

Just came back from Toy Story 3. A wonderful send-off for these characters. I'd heard a lot of hype about how well The Claw works in its scene and it was definitely justified.

I genuinely though that it was the end for them - the looks on their faces together with the music made for a powerful scene. I respect Pixar for the chosen ending though - it was realistic, emotional and gave a 'circle of life' feeling to the trilogy.

The Lovely Bones wasn't very good. The film's savior was Stanley Tucci and the cinematography. Eno's score didn't really enhance anything, and was actually inappropriate at times (i.e. the weird guitar riff playing when Whalberg got beat up by the kid in the corn field).

If only Howard had the opportunity to score that one.

and I personally thought the heaven sequences worked well, until that other girl was introduced - she didn't seem to do anything for the plot.

The other girl was mostly used as an aid to help explain the thoughts of the main character.

Dinner For Schmucks

A great light-hearted comedy with a fantastic score by Theodore Shapiro.

It's a good film to watch with people that like to laugh. I had a fun time watching it. And I did think the score was better than the average stupid-but-funny comedy.

Recently I've seen Dinner for Schmucks and Glengarry GlenRoss.

I saw JFK. It was a good film. I'd like to figure out how much of that was true, though.

As we say in my country...

WarrenComm.jpg

Knock yourself out.

(at 912+ pages, it may do just that)

I watched Starship Troopers on TV the other day. It was somewhat entertaining and it got my imagination going, but I laughed at the awkward dialogue and ridiculous plot. I felt emabarrassed for Neil Patrick Harris at what must have been the low point of his career.

You know it's based on a book, right?

I personally haven't read it, and have to start a list of books I want to look for next time I'm in a book store, instead of just browsing and wandering, and add this to it.

Inception. Okay, meh, it was good. Not the best movie ever (that's The Dark Knight, right? hah, hah). I think I'll develop a soft spot for it, though, because I saw it with my girlfriend and now we want to cultivate a dream world with each other. mellow.gif Well, it's good to be reminded of what counts, even if it's by a less than stellar movie. Zimmer's score was what I've come to expect, but the "Dream Within a Dream" theme was really exciting when it got going during those action sequences.

Dinner For Schmucks

A great light-hearted comedy with a fantastic score by Theodore Shapiro.

It's a good film to watch with people that like to laugh. I had a fun time watching it. And I did think the score was better than the average stupid-but-funny comedy.

Ooh, how was Glengarry Glen Ross? I saw a small production of it by my university's theater department and loved it. What fascinating, despicable, over the top characters; and yet it's eerily realistic feeling. I'd be interested to see if the film adaptation holds up.

Saw the trailer for Dinner with Schmucks and thought it looked absolutely horrible. You could say that trailers cut manipulatively to cater to the stupidest audiences, but I have a hard time imagining how the situations depicted could be funny in any way.

Ooh, how was Glengarry Glen Ross? I saw a small production of it by my university's theater department and loved it. What fascinating, despicable, over the top characters; and yet it's eerily realistic feeling. I'd be interested to see if the film adaptation holds up.

It was really good. The acting was some of the best I've seen from just about all the characters (Al Pacino and Jack Lemmen especially). It is a really well done, really angry film, yet it's still really easy to empathize with all the characters.

About Dinner for Schmucks...if you didn't like the trailer you probably won't like the movie. It's a very stupid movie, but if you accept that it can be very enjoyable.

My friend Joe is on his way down to Vegas to help his step brother move up to Washington state and he stopped here last night and stayed the night. Anyways the last movie I watched was with him and we watched Star Trek (2009) as he hadn't seen it yet. He said he liked it.

I personally haven't read it, and have to start a list of books I want to look for next time I'm in a book store, instead of just browsing and wandering, and add this to it.

I heard there was a book and that there are sequels. From what I've read online, the book seems much weightier and serious than the movie. Maybe I'll give the book a try someday.

I heard there was a book and that there are sequels. From what I've read online, the book seems much weightier and serious than the movie. Maybe I'll give the book a try someday.

The film is a satirical attack on the book's fascism. Verhoeven read some of the book and then decided it was ridiculous.

The film is a satirical attack on the book's fascism. Verhoeven read some of the book and then decided it was ridiculous.

If I ever read the book I'll make my own judgment - but from what I've read about the book it sounds like there's considerable debate about what the author intended to convey through the book. He might have been attacking fascism, even if on the surface he appeared to be supporting it. Either way, the movie seemed less satirical to me than cheesy.

If I ever read the book I'll make my own judgment - but from what I've read about the book it sounds like there's considerable debate about what the author intended to convey through the book. He might have been attacking fascism, even if on the surface he appeared to be supporting it. Either way, the movie seemed less satirical to me than cheesy.

Well yeah, it's also a satire of every 80s and 90s blockbuster as well as the military in general and the media's approach to war. The cheese is intentional.

About Dinner for Schmucks...if you didn't like the trailer you probably won't like the movie. It's a very stupid movie, but if you accept that it can be very enjoyable.

I don't think that's true at all. The trailer made it seem like something different to me, like it was more crude slapstick humor, when it was genuinely light hearted in most areas. It's a character-based comedy, and I didn't find it to be stupid particularly.

Jemaine Clement is worth it alone IMO, he's truly hilarious in everything he does.

Well yeah, it's also a satire of every 80s and 90s blockbuster as well as the military in general and the media's approach to war. The cheese is intentional.

I caught some of this film on TV, and yeah, the cheese just has to be intentional.

I watched Starship Troopers on TV the other day. It was somewhat entertaining and it got my imagination going, but I laughed at the awkward dialogue and ridiculous plot. I felt emabarrassed for Neil Patrick Harris at what must have been the low point of his career.

You realise the dialogue is purposefully cheesy? The movie is a satire; a given considering, its director.

EDIT: I just noticed Charlie already said the same thing on the next page.