What Is The Last Film You Watched?

I'll just say when you have kids of your own, you will look at things differently.

Trust me.

I know. This is why I'm afraid of commitment and eventual procreation.

To not be able to enjoy movies and things the way I do now...that can't be taken away from me!

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do find Hit Girl's character a bit of a hollow novelty, although it's clearly a parody of some of the comics where kids do fight crime and as such I can't really find it distasteful when I've read and enjoyed some of those, although the swearing is a bit too big and clever. I like the film okay, I like its tonal shift, but I think it has too much of a Tarantino mood to it in its music choices and its style, which like QT films I find slightly too smarmy and annoying. And I just don't like its 'I'm so big and clever because I'm parodying comic book movies' ethos that Vaughn seems to have adapted, which also I think comes from his general uppity attitude, from reading interviews with him. Just because the movie isn't good enough as some of those movies it looks to parody.

CE3K theatrical version. My appreciation for this movie has grown so much since getting the BD. I guess you reach a certain age where can connect with something a hell of a lot better than you used to.

CE3K theatrical version. My appreciation for this movie has grown so much since getting the BD. I guess you reach a certain age where can connect with something a hell of a lot better than you used to.

Absolutely.

I'll just say when you have kids of your own, you will look at things differently.

Trust me.

True. After becoming Dad to a little girl, I teared up like a sissy after re-visiting Poltergeist. Oddly, being a parent still didn't fuel any disdain for the Hit Girl character. For some reason, I was able to take it all in stride and just go with it.

From a film making POV, it is apparently a masterpiece.

It's certainly a landmark. I personally didn't find it that thrilling. Over the years, I've found it harder to separate a film's craft from its ideas.

Scott Pilgrim

Haven't enjoyed a movie like this in a long time. Struck the perfect balance between using comic-book tropes and the film medium.

A Little Trip To Heaven: Watchable but that's it. It lacks drama.

Six Feet Under: Season 2: A weaker season, in my opinion. I'm already 3 episodes into the next season and it's much better again. In fact, it's pretty great!

To say something is flawless from a technical standpoint but vapid or evil doesn't really make sense to me any more. The totality of film included ideas as well as presentation of visuals, and one necessarily supports the other. An ambitious scene in aid of nothing is not a great scene (like the unbroken shot in Atonement). With Birth of a Nation, the craft and innovation is put to use in order to tell the tale of the creation of the KKK. I was thrilled at times, but every time I caught myself and remembered that the heroes of this film are evil, I became more aghast at the manipulation of film than ever before.

I don't have an art teacher, Alex. I was confronted with the concept of the lunacy of separating art from craft when judging a film around the time of No Country for Old Men (most probably from Jim Emerson), and I've become more and more convinced by it. Technically brilliant but boring -or, in this case, evil- just doesn't cut it for me any more. Craft is nothing without art. Birth of a Nation is not a masterpiece because its art betrays its craft.

Scott Pilgrim

Haven't enjoyed a movie like this in a long time. Struck the perfect balance between using comic-book tropes and the film medium.

I want to see this but read it's some sort of musical,or at least in part (I don't want to read too much).Is that right?

Winter's Bone Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Not sure what to think. I like my obscure artsy movies as much as the next weirdo, but this one will have to sit a few days, perhaps even requiring another viewing. Much of it I can't make an opinion on, but the parts I can were great. The acting and writing were most impressive.

The Earrings of Madame De... (1953). One of the greatest love stories I've ever seen on film.

What about those fancy european films? Couldn't you just watch CLOSE ENCOUNTERS or STAR WARS for the umpteenth time, like everyone else on the board??

:angry:

Scott Pilgrim

I want to see this but read it's some sort of musical,or at least in part (I don't want to read too much).Is that right?

Scott Pilgrim is part of a band and most of the fights take place during battle of the bands sets, but it's more of a musical in the sense that characters break out into fights as opposed to songs.

That said, the music's great.

Die Hard

Holy smokes, forgot how good this film is. Could do with a bit of editing (namely the Paul Gleason scenes), and the Al scene at the end with Alexander Gudunov (who is great, by the way) is a bit telegraphed, but it's so much fun. And an excellent Kamen score.

To say something is flawless from a technical standpoint but vapid or evil doesn't really make sense to me any more. The totality of film included ideas as well as presentation of visuals, and one necessarily supports the other. An ambitious scene in aid of nothing is not a great scene (like the unbroken shot in Atonement). With Birth of a Nation, the craft and innovation is put to use in order to tell the tale of the creation of the KKK. I was thrilled at times, but every time I caught myself and remembered that the heroes of this film are evil, I became more aghast at the manipulation of film than ever before.

I don't have an art teacher, Alex. I was confronted with the concept of the lunacy of separating art from craft when judging a film around the time of No Country for Old Men (most probably from Jim Emerson), and I've become more and more convinced by it. Technically brilliant but boring -or, in this case, evil- just doesn't cut it for me any more. Craft is nothing without art. Birth of a Nation is not a masterpiece because its art betrays its craft.

I still don't know what you're saying, Morlock. Could you explain it in some other way? Perhaps use the film Avatar for your examples? I'm not familiar with Birth Of A Nation.

I still don't know what you're saying, Morlock. Could you explain it in some other way? Perhaps use the film Avatar for your examples? I'm not familiar with Birth Of A Nation.

It's a great film, I don't feign the false disgust that Morlock delivers. It's a film of it's terrible times. The mere fact that it evokes negative emotions makes it all the more powerful.

Went on a bit of a Superman kick:

Superman- The Movie: Thoroughly enjoyable. Still easily one of my favorite movies of all time. Hackman and Beatty can just look at each other and I'll laugh.

Superman II (Donner cut): Liking it less the more I watch it. It's still an interesting theoretical exercise, but it's been so long since I've seen the original Lester version, I need to so I can compare better.

Superman Returns: Not the most well-made movie, that's for sure. I loved the hell out of it in the theater, but it's gone down since then. Still, I was expecting to be fairly bored during the last hour or so but was actually pretty into it. Needed a lot more work in the editing suite.

War of the Worlds(2005)

Wow, I must say, I was really impressed with this viewing. Previously, I had just kind of written it off as average Spielberg dreck, but it was different this time. I still think the characters are obnoxious and kind of poorly written, but the whole movie was very good. Better than I remembered. The whole style of the movie impressed me. It just starts in with the music and just keeps going. Some of the cinematography was really impressive. There were some surprisingly suspenseful scenes that held my breath, even though I knew what happens. I also loved how the movie was filled with so many ironic contrasts to match the concept of aliens being destroyed by the smallest creatures. Even the opening scene has one with Ray driving that giant machine. Clearly meant to relate to the machinery of the tripods.

If WB actually ponied up for a proper effects budget, Donner's S2 would be incredible. Lester stripped it of its emotions and power and threw dumb comedy in its place (as evident by III). The new version is weird because of the way it - and Superman - were supposed to end, but stuf like the Brando scene is pretty great, and is a great emotional counterpoint to the ending of the first one.

Just watched Clash of the Titans. Didn't watch it on the cinema. It's OK for a viewing, if nothing better to do.

Music was U-N-A-C-C-E-P-T-A-B-L-E. Felt embarrassed for the music and I'm not even the composer lol

Kraken looked amazing but the rest of the effects were very questionable, and the script was painful.

But as I said, it's cool for something to watch

Inception, finally. To sum up my thoughts from the official thread...

Basic premise: Amazing.

That one unusual fight scene: Amazing.

Explanations of dream logic: Surprisingly straightforward, if not always factually accurate.

Moment-to-moment plot development: Surprisingly and frustratingly unclear at times, like TDK.

Music: No. Just no.

Inception, finally. To sum up my thoughts from the official thread...

Music: No. Just no.

LOL it was Zimmer wasn't it??

Well, 'music' has been downgraded to abstract noises

Whoever can produce the biggest and most 'original' BANG will take the title of composer of the year,

If WB actually ponied up for a proper effects budget, Donner's S2 would be incredible. Lester stripped it of its emotions and power and threw dumb comedy in its place (as evident by III). The new version is weird because of the way it - and Superman - were supposed to end, but stuf like the Brando scene is pretty great, and is a great emotional counterpoint to the ending of the first one.

Agreed. But still, I find Lester's movie endlessly watchable. I absolutely love Terrence Stamp in that movie.

I watched Zemecki's A Christmas Carol a few nights ago for no real reason.

Surprisingly impressive actually. Obviously there isn't much of a story to set up, but the characters we do get introduced to are solid and parts are genuinely moving. Animation was a great step forward, although those rather dead eyes still need some work. I was also impressed by some of the visual imagination, particularly involving the grim reaper scenes. The lack of music in places also ratcheted the emotion up. The messages are clearly not a new idea, but nevertheless were well directed and delivered.

A few clunky moments with the screenplay, such as

when we see a dead body in Scrooge's bed, he asks whether anyone was affected by this, and then a little later on he asks the reaper "who was lying there dead?"... umm, I'd have thought that was stupefyingly obvious.

And surprisingly, no memorable music unreleased; Silvestri seems to have created a nice 40 min OST that has nearly all the score (actually, there are a few cues I'd remove to make it perfect). Although the mix was very low so it's a bit hard to tell. But it is gratifying to see that a short release isn't always due to reuse fees.

It's a great film, I don't feign the false disgust that Morlock delivers. It's a film of it's terrible times. The mere fact that it evokes negative emotions makes it all the more powerful.

My disgust is not false.

I don't understand why it's a film of its terrible times. It's a film of the 1860's, if anything.

And I did not say it was not a powerful film- of course it was. Any film that can fool me into hoping the Ku Klux Klan will save the poor helpless white woman (who'd rather die than mary a mulatto) is powerful. It is precisely the negative power of the film that impressed me that it was not great. Every powerfully rendered terrible scene in this film reminded me of the limitations of its vision, of the astounding lack of sophistication of its director, and of how utterly debased the artform is by being used to awe-inspiring effect for one of the worst causes known to mankind.

@Alex: Avatar is too vanilla a film to be able to used as an example against the full-blooded Griffith film. It really hard to come up with a good example, as this kind of sets the standard. A film that amazes in its editing, shows you tremendous images, shots that one rarely sees 95 years later done with a far more massive and less mobile camera. It intercuts 4 different concurrent actions to thrillinf effect. But it wants to convince you that people of a certain race are rapists and murderers and gluttons, and that thank god some good ol' boys are around to kill this vermin. A popular notion is that the craft slone makes this film great. Mine is that a great shot in service of a loathsome idea specifically means it is not great. It reminds me that someone's inspiration can be utterly soulless and inhuman. It is hard for me to find great art that reminds me it is soulless and inhuman.

(one doesn't even need to take it as far as all that- the famous extended single shot in Atonement angered me in a similar way. It tries to assume a meaning and momentousness that is totally dramatically uncalled for. The fatuous and false application of great craft is infuriating to me)

Agreed. But still, I find Lester's movie endlessly watchable. I absolutely love Terrence Stamp in that movie.

I enjoy Lester's Supes 2 too. I wonder if some superfan has made some ultimate edit by putting Brando in Lester's. The Donner Cut's ending unfortunately prevents it from me considering it as a true sequel.

Yes, finally seeing all the scenes Brando filmed for the second one was the highlight of the Donner cut.

I wish the music tracking had been handled a bit more skillfully, though--the way they used the last chunk of "The Destruction of Krypton" was a bit clunky--but then, that and the SFX kind of played off each other. The content of the scene is fantastic, though.

ADigitalMan did make a hybrid cut using various elements of the Lester and Donner cuts, and sounds quite promising, although I haven't seen it yet.

"•Some of the specifics of this edit:

1. Alternate version of “Planet Krypton” cue by John Williams opens the film.

2. Non kills the guard, Zod Breaks the crystal and the rings come down. Cut to:

3. Brando asking the council to pronounce judgment.

4. As Phantom Zone speeds away, Krypton Explodes and Alexander Salkind credit speeds out of this. Credits are from Donner Cut.

5. Zoom into earth cuts to the tail-fire of the XK-101 Rocket with Supes chasing it.

6. Lots of bad CGI removed. Rocket Explodes, shattering Phantom Zone from Lester Cut but with “FREE!” mixed in. Fade out as Villains fly to the moon.

7. Fade in on Metropolis Street vendor, then cut to Perry reading the paper.

8. Lois Jumps. Bad eye-beam shots removed. Awning was always open.

9. Extended Prison sequence

10. Moon, with “curl” discussion back at Mission Control. Hairdryer line cut.

11. Donner’s getaway.

12. Tour of the honeymoon suite.

13. Heading North

14. Falls rescue is a hybrid of the two cuts, with Lois noticing Clark’s absence reinstated.

15. Donner’s version of Lex in the fortress

16. Pink Bear scene, trimmed down.

17. Heading South

18. Non picks up the snake, but only ponders it.

19. Superman takes Lois to the fortress, picks up flowers and dinner.

20. Ursa arm wrestles.

21. Dinner. No sex with Lois while super-powered. No Kryptonite condoms in this story.

22. Brando depowers Superman. Nookie afterward.

23. Donner cut for a long long time, until …

24. “Care to step outside?”

25. Donner cut Metropolis battle and Fortress

26. Arctic Police, Smallville line removed (with a fantastic musical edit behind this whole scene)

27. Fortress NOT destroyed. Cut straight to the kiss.

28. Tearful farewell on terrace

29. Memory Kiss

30. Elevator Bully

31. Diner Bully

32. Flag Flying High, end credits."

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

Wow, haven't had this much fun at the movies in awhile, and I saw it on a slow Wednesday night. Tons better than I was expecting. Just ordered the soundtrack and bought the score. The Sex Bob-Omb songs are really good.

Return to Oz

It's so awesome. I know a lot of people don't like it. It's dark, scary and obviously Godless for being totally unlike the old musical version that everyone is married to since their childhood. But I had the pleasure of growing up watching BOTH. As I've grown older, there's something a little better about the one that really scared me as a youngster, Wicked Witch, her monkeys and green-faced dudes be damned. It's a movie that could only come out of the 80s, where it was for whatever reason decided that entertainment for young people should be dark, scary and more reflective of the harsh truths of our own world, even in their fantasy settings. And there was Gary Kurtz producing in several instances, I guess making sure Luke got his hand lopped off and Han was turned into a silver ice cube, Jim Henson's characters and worlds were completely terrifying and the land of Oz was in ruins and overrun by monsters and witches that decapitate women. It was clearly WAY too much for children. But man, is it good.

Amistad

I started last night, got through a half-hour or so (the weakest sequences overall, I think) and called it quits. Finished tonight with all the best stuff. I know a lot of people also dislike this movie for various reasons. Is it too schmaltzy? Was Spielberg the wrong guy for the job? Williams' score almost a parody? Are its 2.5 hours mostly a bore with the exception of the fantastic Anthony Hopkins performance as ex-pres Adams? Maybe. How Hopkins did it, I don't know. He vanishes into the role and it's just magic whenever he's on screen. That last hour and 15 minutes, it's absolutely clear you're watching a Spielberg film. The scene where the Amistad prisoners read the story of Jesus in the bible just gets to me. So does the monologue by Mr. Adams, punctuated by that glorious vaguely (for whatever reason) patriotic-sounding Americana music supplied by the Maestro.

Return to Oz

It's so awesome. I know a lot of people don't like it. It's dark, scary and obviously Godless for being totally unlike the old musical version that everyone is married to since their childhood. But I had the pleasure of growing up watching BOTH. As I've grown older, there's something a little better about the one that really scared me as a youngster, Wicked Witch, her monkeys and green-faced dudes be damned. It's a movie that could only come out of the 80s, where it was for whatever reason decided that entertainment for young people should be dark, scary and more reflective of the harsh truths of our own world, even in their fantasy settings. And there was Gary Kurtz producing in several instances, I guess making sure Luke got his hand lopped off and Han was turned into a silver ice cube, Jim Henson's characters and worlds were completely terrifying and the land of Oz was in ruins and overrun by monsters and witches that decapitate women. It was clearly WAY too much for children. But man, is it good.

I grew up on this movie as well. I haven't seen it in FOREVER. I don't remember a lot of the details you reference, like decapitated women, but I do remember being much more frightened as a child watching Return to Oz than I ever was watching the original. Makes me want to watch it again. I have no problem with the fact that it treads a completely different path and style than the original - I enjoy both for what they are.

Boys from Brazil:

It was an entertaining movie (I almost feel bad for saying that), although reading the back of the DVD cover sort of spoiled it for me. Who wrote that thing? I have two problems with it, though, even after excepting all the science fiction stuff: first, I don't think

it would be possible to create a perfect duplicate of Hitler's environment. If all they ensured were that there were two Christian parents of the proper age, and that the father was killed when the kid was 14...I don't even think that 1 of the 94 kids would grow up with the same aspirations/abilities as Hitler had. Second, I don't think that all this cloning stuff would even be necessary. All they needed was a Nazi with the ability to command armies, etc. And I'm sure it would be much easier to find/train an actual Nazi than try to clone the original one. This isn't a criticism, but I found it to be very Omen-esque. Gregory Peck is in it, Goldsmith scores it, and you've got a creepy kid who represents the epitome of evilness.

Also, what the hell was Goldsmith's music in the opening and end credits? Seemed waaay too goofy and lighthearted, even for a film that isn't as serious as you'd think a film about Nazis would be. I did like the other music, particularly the low brass hits. And the scene when the Doctor was remembering the operations was really well done.

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

Wow, haven't had this much fun at the movies in awhile, and I saw it on a slow Wednesday night. Tons better than I was expecting. Just ordered the soundtrack and bought the score. The Sex Bob-Omb songs are really good.

I got the soundtrack and I'm still trying to get into it. It seems a bit too Pitchfork at the moment.