John Williams To Possibly Compose Deathly Hallows Films

scallenger

One book, one movie, one composer.

One book series, one movie series, one composer...oh wait that's already screwed.

I'm in if the musical part of the movie gets screwed again if that means williams returning.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope Desplat will do both parts.

This is a rare but I agree with Koray. Desplat is able to channel Williams but still retain his own style....unlike some other composers I won't mention.

I love it when some people actively root for another composer on this MB

Heretics! Burn them!

I miss the Spanish inquisition sometimes ;)

Yeah. They could use some soft cushions or comfy chair.

Apparently, the crew partied too much in London, and left a script for Deathly Hallows part I there in a pub.

The reporter finding it turned it over to WB, and from what he saw, there are major detours compared to the book.

Not related to John Williams, but still funny.

Or not.

There have to be major detours to the book if they plan on regaining all the major plot points they left out in HBP.

About the score, I definitely, without a doubt want Williams back for Part 2. However, I think they chose a good, solid composer to replace him. It definitely could have been worse.

Apparently, the crew partied too much in London, and left a script for Deathly Hallows part I there in a pub.

The reporter finding it turned it over to WB, and from what he saw, there are major detours compared to the book.

Not related to John Williams, but still funny.

Or not.

Story link?

Don't have it, that was several days ago.

And it was in German, so you wouldn't be able to read it anyway, you illiterate ;)

There have to be major detours to the book if they plan on regaining all the major plot points they left out in HBP.

About the score, I definitely, without a doubt want Williams back for Part 2. However, I think they chose a good, solid composer to replace him. It definitely could have been worse.

If I had the choice between a good, solid composer and John Williams, I know who I'd pick.

Hint: not the former.

I love it when some people actively root for another composer on this MB

Yeah, makes for good conversation instead of the "Only Williams is god and no one else is worthy" mentality.

I expect Desplat to score part II because I don't truly believe Williams is really that interested in returning to score HP.

Don't have it, that was several days ago.

And it was in German, so you wouldn't be able to read it anyway, you illiterate ;)

Wenn ist das Nunstruck git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!

Always Having you Copper suck tantalize ...? May us idiot John? Ha!

Grab it boobies!

Amounts much to the same thing ...

If you can't notice the Monty Python reference it's not my fault. ;)

After re-watching Half-Blood Prince, my opinion of the film and score have dropped. I'd say the film is perhaps 2nd or 3rd, behind Prisoner of Azkaban, but the score seems obtrusive and inappropriate at times. The tracked in cues from Hooper's Order of the Phoenix don't help and I feel the score just doesn't have the gravity to match the visuals. Is it an improvement over Phoenix? In terms of technical proficiency, yes, but overall the score has no thematic integrity (whereas Phoenix at least had Umbridge's Theme as a thematic hook and signature for the film). I said at the time of the score's release that I found the only major misfire to be "The Killing of Dumbledore" cue and now I notice how much of a failure this cue is, so much so that it brings down the climatic scenes. Clearly Yates was trying to downplay the final scenario, so that events will seem more dramatic in Deathly Hallows, but the music needed to accentuate how Harry was feeling at seeing his mentor struck down by someone he trusted. Tremolo strings just don't cut it. The wailing cello in the commemorating scene is overplayed and offers no sign of hope for the good guys entering the seventh film and the final scene offers a generic, Lord of the Rings, style summation piece that adds nothing to the thematic texture of the film (why not make a statement of Williams friendship theme or Fawkes the Phoenix, since you've tacked in such a generic piece anyway?) And then come the End Credits, which are a mish-mash of music from Phoenix, the most out-of-place music from Prince and "In Noctem" (which is an admittedly effective piece, although the choral version is made moot by the wailing cello version heard during Dumbledore's passing). At the time of release, I couldn't see why people were rating this score below Phoenix, but now I do: it's because of the enormous potential lost - Phoenix was always the meandering book that achieved very little in the scope of the series, but Prince was there to set up the grand finale, something which hasn't been matched by the score.

I hope and pray that Desplat comes up with something at least slightly memorable, to bring these films back into film music glory.

...but Prince was there to set up the grand finale, something which hasn't been matched by the score.

Similarly, the film, while being the longest in the series and having the burden of covering the least substance (plotwise) the film manages to end with tons of missing explanations that were all present in the book. Yates will surely come up with a way to work them into the 7th films (I'm sure he already had when he made HBP), but not including it in HBP makes a bad film into a waste of time.

After re-watching Half-Blood Prince, my opinion of the film and score have dropped. I'd say the film is perhaps 2nd or 3rd, behind Prisoner of Azkaban, but the score seems obtrusive and inappropriate at times. The tracked in cues from Hooper's Order of the Phoenix don't help and I feel the score just doesn't have the gravity to match the visuals. Is it an improvement over Phoenix? In terms of technical proficiency, yes, but overall the score has no thematic integrity (whereas Phoenix at least had Umbridge's Theme as a thematic hook and signature for the film). I said at the time of the score's release that I found the only major misfire to be "The Killing of Dumbledore" cue and now I notice how much of a failure this cue is, so much so that it brings down the climatic scenes. Clearly Yates was trying to downplay the final scenario, so that events will seem more dramatic in Deathly Hallows, but the music needed to accentuate how Harry was feeling at seeing his mentor struck down by someone he trusted. Tremolo strings just don't cut it. The wailing cello in the commemorating scene is overplayed and offers no sign of hope for the good guys entering the seventh film and the final scene offers a generic, Lord of the Rings, style summation piece that adds nothing to the thematic texture of the film (why not make a statement of Williams friendship theme or Fawkes the Phoenix, since you've tacked in such a generic piece anyway?) And then come the End Credits, which are a mish-mash of music from Phoenix, the most out-of-place music from Prince and "In Noctem" (which is an admittedly effective piece, although the choral version is made moot by the wailing cello version heard during Dumbledore's passing). At the time of release, I couldn't see why people were rating this score below Phoenix, but now I do: it's because of the enormous potential lost - Phoenix was always the meandering book that achieved very little in the scope of the series, but Prince was there to set up the grand finale, something which hasn't been matched by the score.

I hope and pray that Desplat comes up with something at least slightly memorable, to bring these films back into film music glory.

I really hated this movie and I think I still do. There is no pace, tension, nothing. And, yeah, I couldn't even sit through the whole soundtrack album.

Karol

Yeah, the book is basically a big build-up to Dumbledore's death and Snape's "betrayal", which were done well IMHO written from Rowling's pen; this was where the film was let down - it spent the movie foreshadowing and building up Dumbledore's death only to downplay the actual event.

His death really could have been more brutal and shocking. Same with Harry's reaction to finding his body. There should have been no music; just the sounds of people screaming and gasping and Hagrid's howling. The people around Dumbledore's body should have been panicking and chaotic; screaming and running around. Not standing there looking sad and hoping that the music will do the rest.

I was disturbed when Dumbledore died in the book; it was quite surreal as I was reading through the eyes of someone in the middle of a battle. Watching the movie felt like I'd accidentally walked in on an amateur acting class trying to perfect emotional recall but failing.

His death really could have been more brutal and shocking. Same with Harry's reaction to finding his body. There should have been no music; just the sounds of people screaming and gasping and Hagrid's howling. The people around Dumbledore's body should have been panicking and chaotic; screaming and running around. Not standing there looking sad and hoping that the music will do the rest.

Actually though, that's what Goblet of Fire did (and very well, I thought), and everyone complained about that, too. Doyle's cue at that point was deliberately unrelated source music, played by the band who hadn't yet realized what had happened - part of the chaotic background noise. At least I found the effect positively chilling.

I thought that scene in Goblet of Fire was fantastic; I was far more moved by it than DD's death. Sure, Doyle's strings were a bit over the top, but the acting (particularly by Cedric's father) was stronger. You'd think a huge crowd of students and teachers would react more to their beloved headmaster's death; as far as they were concerned he was the only person remotely powerful enough to defeat Voldemort.

Loved Prisoner of Azkaban (orgasmed over the score), liked Goblet of Fire (though the score was a little too brass-ensemble for me but I did choke up during Cedric's death scene with the brass band still playing etc), disliked Order of the Phoenix (despised the score apart from some cute Umbridge material), haven't seen Half-Blood Prince yet and probably won't if Williams isn't confirmed for Part II (or leaked score from Part I doesn't absolutely wow me).

http://boards.thefor...27359297/p2/?80

John Williams does not want to write the music for Harry Potter 7. It's as simple as that. ... I can say that because the composer I work for knows his agent.

You forgot to mention that the one who said that is Christopher Lennertz's asssistant.

Just to add a little more credibility.

Is the source credible, though? :D

If its true, Williams is a 'pleasing response' LIER!

What is missing in the HBP movie that sets things up for the last one? I haven't seen it for a while so I can't remember.

- The stuff about the Gaunts and the ring/horcrux

- how Tom worked at Borgins and Botts and acquired a desire for stuff from the 4 founders of Hogwarts

- how Tom used to torture kids in the cave (and thus the reason Dumbledore thought there might be a horcrux there)

- by the end of the book, Harry knew to look for the locket, something of Ravenclaw, something of Hufflepuff, and the snake (by the end of the film he only knows about the locket)

- the stuff about how snape's last name was prince and his mother was a muggle

Granted, not all of this is absolutely necessary to setting up DH, but all of it adds to the story quite a bit. I just can't believe that in a film that is the longest of the Potter films so far and has the least ground to cover plotwise, they would waste soooo much time on the teen drama (which worked very well in the book, but in the film came off as shallow, boring, and annoying) and miss so many key plot points.

Popping in here...

Yeah, I heard that Desplat was composing at least the 1st part of the last movie...that makes me very happy indeed!! I remember the first time I ever heard of him, I was watching Girl With a Pearl Earring thinking, wow, who wrote this fantastic score. He should do a great job, wouldn't even mind him writing score for the last one, though of course would enjoy seeing JW back :)

Uh...I still haven't seen HBP, I need to get around to that, was wholly unimpressed by the 5th film and score, so wasn't exactly waiting with baited breath to see the 6th. Guess I'll get around to it at some point here soon.

I disagree about the film. I was pleasantly surprised by a Harry Potter film for the first time since...repeated viewings of POA. It wasn't great, but then again, the book isn't great, either. It gave me hope that maybe Yates has what it takes for the far more interesting final book.

I actually think HBP was a decent adaptation of the book, at least much moreso than OOTP. With the missing Voldemort memories aside, it pretty much had the basics and most of the good plot points. I do think they should have had Dumbledore's funeral though, and explained the horcruxes he needs to get in the next film like they did in the book. But I have a feeling they wanted to explain that in the next film instead, I guess because it would be more involved in that story anyway.

The voldermort plot points were the best thing about the book.

And these are dumbed down in the Deathly Hallows book,so I don;t expect the film to bring them back

I actually think HBP was a decent adaptation of the book, at least much moreso than OOTP. With the missing Voldemort memories aside, it pretty much had the basics and most of the good plot points. I do think they should have had Dumbledore's funeral though, and explained the horcruxes he needs to get in the next film like they did in the book. But I have a feeling they wanted to explain that in the next film instead, I guess because it would be more involved in that story anyway.

It was a decent adaptation of a poor book, which made it a poor movie in the end. OOTP movie was a great adaptation of a poor book, slicing through all the nonsense to deliver a rollercoaster paced thriller. Too bad Yates dropped the ball with the handling of the action climax.