Variety reports Spielberg's next film after Tintin will be........

Ollie

It's about time this movie got a remake. You see, we finally have the special effects movie magic to bring a six-foot-tall invisible rabbit to life on the silver screen, in ways they could only dream of in 1950.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I generally like Williams' lighter projects, but this time it looks to me that he will be wasting his precious time and energy for something completely insignificant and unnecessary. This frustrates me even more when it comes to Spielberg.

A sweet, lovely JW comedy/family score sounds wonderful to me.

Me too.

I don't want another Stepmom.

All I'll say about schedules, is that if Williams really is thinking of returning to Potter, I damn well hope Spielberg cares enough to not let something like this 'oscar bait' get in the way.

I will always give Spielberg the benefit of doubt about the projects he chooses to direct, so I'll wait before making any judgements.

However, I think it's somewhat sad that even him isn't able to untangle from the web of contemporary Hollywood, which it seems only able to produce sequels, prequels, remakes, reboots etc. in desperate search of the new profitable tent-pole. I'd love to see Steven tackling something more daunting and original, just like he did when he was younger. He has all the money, power and independence to do it.

This article by Anne Thompson sums up pretty well my own frustration about contemporary studio movies.

However, I think it's somewhat sad that even him isn't able to untangle from the web of contemporary Hollywood, which it seems only able to produce sequels, prequels, remakes, reboots etc. in desperate search of the new profitable tent-pole. I'd love to see Steven tackling something more daunting and original, just like he did when he was younger. He has all the money, power and independence to do it.

Exactly.

Jesus Christ. Not every remake is "creatively bankrupt". It's not even a remake, so it seems, but rather a "retake" of an old Pulitzer Prize winning story.

Why can't Spielberg -- who's done a hell of a lot in his career and has earned the right to do things that suit his more personal taste -- shoot a film about a man and an invisible rabbit? Should he ask David Koepp: "You know what, I really really like this story about an invisible rabbit... can you make some cheap knock-off about an invisible guinea-pig, so that it isn't an exact rip?"

And if no "utterly original" scripts have appealed to him lately, then what's to say that the writers who are responsible for the scripts simply can't come up with anything good that's new? Or do you want him to do a Judd Apatow by-the-numbers comedy about weed and stuff, because they're "original" scripts? Or should he leave Hollywood and move to Finland and make a bunch of insignificant films about people going to work, doing drugs, having casual sex, getting into mischief, etc?

No, there is a lot of originality that can be borne out of a pre-existing story idea. The direction, the cinematography, the actors, the music... the story is not the be all and end all of Hollywood.

Or should he leave Hollywood and move to Finland and make a bunch of (...) films about people going to work, doing drugs, having casual sex, getting into mischief, etc?

That sounds like a brilliant idea and an interesting challenge for both Mr. Spielberg and Mr. Williams. I am serious!

And if no "utterly original" scripts have appealed to him lately, then what's to say that the writers who are responsible for the scripts simply can't come up with anything good that's new? Or do you want him to do a Judd Apatow by-the-numbers comedy about weed and stuff, because they're "original" scripts? Or should he leave Hollywood and move to Finland and make a bunch of insignificant films about people going to work, doing drugs, having casual sex, getting into mischief, etc?

Well, maybe he could turn instead to TV series, the only place where Hollywood's creativity and talent pump like no other, imho.

You know, Hollywood fell in love with the concept of remake/adaptation ever since its own glory days, so that's not the problem. You're right saying that Spielberg earned the right to do whatever he wants to do, but I just wanted to express my own frustration about seeing him avoiding more original and daunting projects. And I don't say "original" just for the sake of being "original". I say something like Munich, or Schindler's List, or Empire of the Sun, or even Catch Me If You Can. For example, I'd love to see him tackling a big epic movie in the manner of Lawrence of Arabia. Or seeing him return to real, no-brainer science-fiction. Or maybe concocting an original intimate story about people like E.T.

I'll say it again: in my views, he earned all my benefit of doubt about any project he picks to direct.

Well as long as it keeps him from making another Indiana Jones film I guess I can't complain.

Jut don't get sentimental and show the rabbit at the end.

You're right saying that Spielberg earned the right to do whatever he wants to do, but I just wanted to express my own frustration about seeing him avoiding more original and daunting projects. And I don't say "original" just for the sake of being "original". I say something like Munich, or Schindler's List, or Empire of the Sun, or even Catch Me If You Can.

Munich was his second most recent movie! And two films before that, The Terminal was an original script and was just as political. Give the guy a break. And yes, Spielberg -- when not entangled with the likes of George Lucas -- has earned enough of my respect to be optimistic about his projects.

Well as long as it keeps him from making another Indiana Jones film I guess I can't complain.

Jut don't get sentimental and show the rabbit at the end.

Just like at the end of E.T. when Elliott's parents got back together, and E.T. and his family got back together on planet Sc8z0xc.w112.

This gives Williams a chance to compose the music for something unseen again. Very great opportunity, like the shark in Jaws.

This gives Williams a chance to compose the music for something unseen again. Very great opportunity, like the shark in Jaws.

I'm not familiar with the original Harvey adaptation score, but this is exactly what I'm talking about. I trust Spielberg to have chosen this subject because he sees great creative potential in it, and a Jaws-type musical function is probably one of the many things he has in mind.

Oh wait, what am I saying?? ... that's not original or creative at all. Jaws already did that. Creatively bankrupt, indeed.

Jesus Christ. Not every remake is "creatively bankrupt". It's not even a remake, so it seems, but rather a "retake" of an old Pulitzer Prize winning story.

Why can't Spielberg -- who's done a hell of a lot in his career and has earned the right to do things that suit his more personal taste -- shoot a film about a man and an invisible rabbit? Should he ask David Koepp: "You know what, I really really like this story about an invisible rabbit... can you make some cheap knock-off about an invisible guinea-pig, so that it isn't an exact rip?"

No, there is a lot of originality that can be borne out of a pre-existing story idea. The direction, the cinematography, the actors, the music... the story is not the be all and end all of Hollywood.

Wait, David Koepp's writing this movie? Well, so much for the possibility of it being any good!

Wait, David Koepp's writing this movie? Well, so much for the possibility of it being any good!

He's not. It's penned by a guy named Jonathan Tropper according to the press release.

wow, what very profound thoughts, jeffrey.. keep it going

I accept and appreciate the sarcasm :D .

Like what has been said in this thread since, it's just sad that a talent like his is avoiding totally new ground, storywise. And yes, I'm aware that Hollywood has always loved remaking stuff (like Ben-Hur and The Ten Commandments, way back in the '50s, which were actually good remakes), I just get a little restless. Let's see something new!

Like some others in the Thread, I feel that Steven Spielberg has directed enough "audience" films for a lifetime. While I would love for him to make another "larger than life" film (which may happen with Tintin), I think Steven Spielberg has earned the right to direct anything he wants for his own sake. (Although I would like it if he took a hiatus from historical dramas.)

That's how Variety and other news outlets reported it, as his next film.

Spielberg has wrapped the live shooting of Tintin, it's now in the hands of the SPX team.

That's how Variety and other news outlets reported it, as his next film.

Spielberg has wrapped the live shooting of Tintin, it's now in the hands of the SPX team.

You couldn't have said this any less clearly.

Question is: will this be released before or after Tintin I? My guess is well before, due to the 18-24 months it will take to fully render the photorealistic mo-cap animation.

If you don't know just say so.

The title of the thread reflects what Variety and other sources are reporting.

It's the next film he's going to shoot. He's done with live shooting on Tintin so he can move on to Harvey.

If there was a release date I would have included it.

The initial reports on Tintin did not include the phrase "next film," probably because Spielberg had always planned to do a smaller drama / comedy that he could shoot and release within a year. This new release specifically states that Harvey will be his next film (in spite of the fact that Tintin began shooting first). I'm not aware that it's been confirmed, but we can expect Harvey in theaters in late 2010, probably December.

Ted

Y'know, after thinking about this and Spielberg's motivations for a while earlier, I've decided it may turn out to be a good and obviously well meaning project for the director. Harvey is a charming movie but it is an old movie - kids these days haven't the 'patience' for B&W classics, so Spielberg is clearly hoping to tell the tale again, just as effectively as the original if he can, for a new audience. I hope it works out well, since I'd love younger audiences to find an appreciation for this whimsical tale, albeit told with modern sensibilities.

This could actually be the movie which sees Spielberg make a successful return to his filmic roots, all being well. I even wonder if the man is yearning for it himself, in his old age.

Yeah, my initial reaction was something like this:

:D:o:lol:

But as I let the idea sit, I'm open to it, and I'd love to hear what Williams will do for a film like this. It also helps that I've been viewing Spielberg's darker 21st century sci-fi films (WotW and Minority Report, and then this week I'll see A.I.), and it'll be nice to watch him take on a nice, charming story. I am actually rather curious as to how he'll tackle this now.

this movie could be my life.

I feed them , i give them water, but the frigging beast are always inside their mounds so i cant see them :lol:

Your tax dollars at work.

I feed them , i give them water, but the frigging beast are always inside their mounds so i cant see them :lol:

what did i say? i dont get what you meant... XD

Yes! At this point I'm just glad that Spielberg is (probably) committed to something. Over the course of the last 4 years he has made...1 film. This is especially bad news for us fans of a semi-retired JW, who in the past probably would have sought out some other projects to fill the Spielberg dry spell, but in the present isn't doing so (with the possible exception of DH). As for the film itself, I have enough faith in Spielberg to be excited for this. And Williams is such a chameleon I know we can expect a good score from this. As long as it doesn't interfere with Deathly Hallows.

what did i say? i dont get what you meant... XD

Sorry, I forgot you're European. :D