What gems will we see in 2010?

Ollie

As 2009 comes down to the final 24 days we have been blessed with a number of holy grails and previously un-released gems wanted by many a fan.

As 2010 begins, what do you think we will see?

Robert Townson's 1000th personal release at Varese could possibly be one of the biggest holy grails, a deluxe expanded / complete release of Alex North's Spartacus.

A release of this score would be the one thing that causes me to quit collecting film scores and go quietly into the night to enjoy what I have. There are some strong rumors, and they are only rumors, that this is indeed in the works from Varese.

Are more Star Trek scores on the horizon from FSM? The rights are all over the place with different companies so it may take some time to sort thru each film. Could Star Trek III or V be on tap for this coming year?

Gremlins is a major request, the original album only had 15 minutes of score. With the release of Innerspace I think Gizmo and co will be making an appearance soon. Or how about Goldsmith's wonderful score to Explorers?

Our beloved John Williams is due for a release, 2 major works still remain unreleased, Black Sunday and Family Plot. With Universal and Paramount playing ball now, will someone finally get their hands on these two? Or what about some of Williams other Universal scores that could benefit from a re-release / expansion? 1941, Jaws 2, Dracula or Earthquake?

With James Newton Howard's The Fugitive release and Silvestri's Eraser on tap for early 2010 will we start seeing more music from the 90's getting released? Does Varese have the Matrix sequels on tap?

Will someone finally get a complete ID4 out for the fans?

2009 was the year for unreleased Horner. Will more Horner be on tap for the new year? Uncommon Valor, In Country, 48 Hours, Wolfen, Testament, Vibes and *batteries Not Included are all on people's wish lists.

What about rejected scores? Could we see Craig Safan's Wolfen? Georges Delerue's rejected score to Something wicked This Way Comes?

Perhaps the original masters for some of Herrmann's works for Hitchcock will finally be released, Marnie, Psycho, Torn Curtain to name a few.

Will LaLaLand get more Batman out to the public? Finally a release of Goldenthal's Batman & Robin? I know they are interested but will Warners let them?

For us old folks,could we finally see stuff like Tiomkin's The High And The Mighty?

Oh the possibilities as we approach the new year. Stuff we never dreamed of seeing in our hands. Each year gets better and better.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey I always wanted a re-recording of North By Northwest due to the bad shape of the original masters. And it came true, thanks to Varese. So dream on.

With Conan perhaps we will see the complete score from the original tapes, remastered.

My wish list for next year:

- Star Trek (2009) Vol. 2 (Varese Sarabande)

- Star Trek III (FSM/Retrograde)

- Star Trek V (FSM/Retrograde)

And away from my Trek obsession:

- The Abyss Deluxe Edition (Varese Sarabande)

- Razor/The Plan (LaLaLand Records)

- Conana The Barbarian (Complete/Expanded) (???)

- Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (Complete/Expanded) (???)

That's all I can think of at this point. cool.gif

Hey I always wanted a re-recording of North By Northwest due to the bad shape of the original masters. And it came true, thanks to Varese. So dream on.

With Conan perhaps we will see the complete score from the original tapes, remastered.

I LOVE the North By Northwest recording by Varese. Fantastically well done. cool.gif

Here's some stuff that I want and I'm optimistic we'll get sooner rather than later:

-Gremlins

-Batman: TAS Vol.2

-Masada

-Complete Elfman's Batman

-Some unreleased Williams, like maybe Family Plot

-Star Trek 3

-Star Trek Vol.2 if rumors are true

Here's some stuff that I want but I'm not so hopeful for next year:

-Complete Hook

-Complete Willow

-Complete Episode I & III

I'm probably missing a lot of stuff I want.

I don't think I'm alone in being largely uninterested in many of the titles listed above. Put me in the 'hope more 90s stuff is released' bracket.

But more of my frustration comes from studios who are unwilling to license their material. If they don't plan to release it themselves, what do they have to lose by selling it to a label?

Your dreams will be answered as Tadlow is releasing the original score in early 2010. It will be limited to 2000.

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?forumID=1&pageID=2&threadID=63120&archive=0

Look for the user name JamesFitz who is James Fitzpatrick from Tadlow records.

Your dreams will be answered as Tadlow is releasing the original score in early 2010. It will be limited to 2000.

http://www.filmscore...63120&archive=0

Look for the user name JamesFitz who is James Fitzpatrick from Tadlow records.

Thanks !!!

BTW, for non-soundtrack Christmas music, Josh Groban's christmas album is pretty good.

I'd love to also get ahold of the soundtrack for The Snowman too.

More expanded Goldsmith from the 90's discount bin (River Wild, Mr.Baseball, Matinee...)

Hell will freeze over before we see a 2 c.d. Hook

I'd like to see Silvestri's Young Guns 2 get a proper release.

Also:

The Abyss

Episodes 1 and 2 Ultimate editions

Conan The Barbarian Complete score

Back To The Future 2 and 3 Complete scores

Nothing special here though.

Harry Potter & The Philosopher's Stone - Complete/Expanded. Unlikely I think. :)

Back To The Future: Part II & Part III - Complete/Expanded. Might be possible now with the release of Back To The Future, and with other Silvestri scores making a comeback (Eraser)? :D

Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest & At World's End, or even The Curse Of The Black Pearl come to think of it. Highly unlikely seeing as I'm the only one who likes them, but I can dream! :P

What about Air Force One? The OST's length is shocking (although I understand why). It's nearly as bad as Wild Wild West and Under Seige 2: Dark Territory! :D

Complete prequels! :rolleyes:

But seriously there's lots of stuff listed above that'd be great, I just take it as it comes. I know I'm the only one here, but I'd love to see a Vol. 4 and more of Farscape from LaLa.

A release of this score would be the one thing that causes me to quit collecting film scores and go quietly into the night to enjoy what I have.

Bullfeathers, you'll keep on buying and love it.

I'm in the market for a full re-recording of Conan The Barbarian.

The Royal Scottish National Orchestra and it's mighty brass section would be a good candidate.

I can dream, can't i?

One can certainly contemplate this on the tree of woe, anyway :rolleyes:

If a complete versions for Star Trek III, V, Independence Day, Hook (hopefully but doubtful), Star Trek (09) Volume 2, and even expanded releases for the other two Matrix scores were released next year I'd be one happy camper. All though I don't expect to see all of these done in one year...

Also regarding Back To The Future 2 and 3....2 is with MCA so one of the labels maybe possible to do that one. Back To The Future Part 3 is with Varese so only they would be able to release that.

If a complete Independence Day were to be released I could see that one going fairly quickly if it's a limited title.

Well, my hope is that since WB opened their vaults for the 2-CD expansion of The Fugitive, other scores that suffer from under-representation on WB albums will get complete limited releases, one prime candidate being Goldenthal's Heat. :rolleyes:

I think/hope we will see Explorers and Gremlins. And I have to believe Intrada's been working hard on Young Sherlock Holmes.

There most definitely will be some kind of Batman release from LaLaLand, they've made that pretty clear.

I think it's a safe bet we will see...

"Star Trek III: The Search For Spock" (complete; FSM)

"Spartacus" (complete; Varese Sarabande CD Club)

"Back to the Future II" (complete; Intrada)

"Back to the Future III" (complete; Intrada)

"The Ten Commandments (complete)

"Star Trek: First Contact" (complete)

"The Man With Two Brains" (Free Clyde Music)

"Cal of Duty 3" (complete; Free Clyde Music)

"Batman" (complete; LLLR)

"Batman & Robin "(complete, Goldenthal; LLLR)

"Cal of Duty 3" (complete; Free Clyde Music)

Whaa? Is there even a market for that score anymore? Or rather, was there ever one to begin with? I thought merely including a promo CD with the PC version of the game was a treat.

I'm hoping Zimmer's Modern Warfare 2 will see a release sometime next year. Lorne Balfe said they were working on it, but honestly, they say that for every game score.

It's happened. Benjamin Button got a 2 disc release, one for the score, one for songs/source music.

I think the most recent Hulk movie got one too...I remember some members here buying it to support the notion of 2 disc OSTs.

I can't think of anything else to add to these titles, except to say that a complete "Empire Of The Sun" would make my year.

Let's hope that a possible complete "The Abyss" would correct the awful sound on the existing c.d?

I'm still waiting for a TOTALLY complete "CE3K", including "The Eleventh Commandant", but I think that I'll be waiting for a long time...

On the subject of Close Encounters, I'd like the original album recordings digitally remastered. Package that with the complete score and everybody's happy. Varese did re-issue the original album in the early 90's...

On the subject of Close Encounters, I'd like the original album recordings digitally remastered. Package that with the complete score and everybody's happy. Varese did re-issue the original album in the early 90's...

As far as I know, what is on the 1998 re-issue IS the re-mastered original version, without "Inside The Mothership", the "When You Wish Upon A Star" ending, or the "Theme From CE3K ", of course, but I see your point. It would be good to have, for example, "Nocturnal Pursuit" as it was on the original vinyl, but sounding better. Actually, are there any differences between the original released version, and the 1998 version (with the obvious exception that there is more music)?

More expanded Goldsmith from the 90's discount bin (River Wild, Mr.Baseball, Matinee...)

Hell will freeze over before we see a 2 c.d. Hook

Can i have THE SHADOW complete if you get your HOOK?

The Incredible Hulk was an on-demand CDR pressing from Amazon though. So I think that negates the positive thinking of supporting 2 disc releases.

If that's what they have to do to get all the music from the film released, at a reasonable price, then I support that.

Maxxie - I'm with you buddy ROTFLMAO One day, Varese will turn their attention to the travesties they committed to film score releases in the 2nd half of the 90s.

You may not have many companions with the Pirates scores though. I like the third score and if an isolated score came out, I'd buy it, but I thought the second score was atrocious and the first is really just a guilty pleasure now and then.

Trent - would you really want the Matrix sequels to be given the same treatment Varese gave the first one? Single disc, lots of edits and music still missing. Granted, it's nice to get any official releases, but there's a point at which I'd rather stick with a shoe with perfect sound as opposed to trying to fill in the gaps in an official release. That's why I think Varese seriously misjudged us with the DE. Are they seriously not aware of Davis' promos and the isolated score, or trying to pretend they don't exist?

Maxxie - I'm with you buddy :) One day, Varese will turn their attention to the travesties they committed to film score releases in the 2nd half of the 90s.

You may not have many companions with the Pirates scores though. I like the third score and if an isolated score came out, I'd buy it, but I thought the second score was atrocious and the first is really just a guilty pleasure now and then.

Hurrah! :D

Yeah I think I'm the only person in the world (apart from Koray) who likes Pirates 2. I'm not too bothered about a complete release, but it definitley needs expanding so it flows better and the score is fleshed out. People might understand where some of the themes are going (and why) then. We definitley need more film cues rather than suites. Davy Jones, Pelegosto Island, The Kraken etc. ROTFLMAO

I'd love a complete Pirates. They had the perfect opportunity with the Treasures Collection, but that only had like 15 unreleased cues. It's sad that we'll never get them, because it's Disney.

Ditto.

I thought that Treasures Collection was atrocious. You got hardly anything new, for a lot more money. :lol:

I think one day (pardon the Pirates 3 pun :lol: ), we will see expanded releases for Pirates. I know it's Disney, but Pirates is one of their most popular and successful franchises. We will get them, but it may be 15+ years yet! :P

Trent - would you really want the Matrix sequels to be given the same treatment Varese gave the first one? Single disc, lots of edits and music still missing. Granted, it's nice to get any official releases, but there's a point at which I'd rather stick with a shoe with perfect sound as opposed to trying to fill in the gaps in an official release. That's why I think Varese seriously misjudged us with the DE. Are they seriously not aware of Davis' promos and the isolated score, or trying to pretend they don't exist?

Well if another label besides Varese could release the Matrix sequels then I'd be all for that. Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions' albums are with Maverick Records and I THINK (not sure) that the OST's are still in print. It maybe a bit difficult for one of the labels to release complete versions.

I do wish Varese would have released the entire full score for The Matrix in unedited form, it deserved such a release. I mean it's great to have unreleased music officially released. The matter of the fact is I still kept the complete score for it because of the missing material.

I know it's Disney, but Pirates is one of their most popular and successful franchises. We will get them, but it may be 15+ years yet! :P

I'm still waiting for a complete release of The Lion King. I mean, I'm happy with my complete bootleg in top sound quality, but an official release would be nice. Everyone knows The Lion King, and even that is stuck with 4 score cues.

And on top of that the score won an Oscar.

In addition to the significant JW scores that need to be released/expanded, I'd love for a few reissues of rare scores. The Fury, Towering Inferno, The Reivers, and Poseidon Adventure would all be quite welcome.

The Reivers would be a nice candidate for a Deluxe Edition treatment. I'd love for The Towering Inferno and the others to get rereleased, but honestly, they're limited for a reason. We just want them to because we didn't have the opportunity to grab them when they were released.

I'm lucky to be able to have The Poseidon Adventure, but The Towering Inferno is one that constantly eludes my grasp. I can never find it available. Those 3,000 people really want to keep their copies.

I'm still waiting for a complete release of The Lion King. I mean, I'm happy with my complete bootleg in top sound quality, but an official release would be nice. Everyone knows The Lion King, and even that is stuck with 4 score cues.

The bootleg's sound quality is awful for most of the part, at least for me. Lion King is my only serious 'holy grail' which I need officially released. Yes, I know it's Disney, I will wait another decade or so for the breakthrough! :cool:

I'd love to see Williams' Hook and Jurassic Park completes released this year, along with David Arnold's ID4 of course.

I don't think Walt Disney will license their toon soundtracks to outside labels, yes I know Varese released a few back in the day but I believe Intrada mentioned that on their website.

I wouldn't expect an expanded Lion King anytime soon.

As far as the Towering Inferno or some of the Varese OOP Club releases, I don't know if it's possible to re-issue without pressing another 3000. I don't look for any of those to see a re-issue anytime soon.

It might be an interesting question to ask Bruce Kimmel from Kritzerland since he has re-issued a few OOP FSM titles, but only at a 1000 units and the original pressings were from a box set that was limited to 1500.

Yup I know. But that's not "never", though. One can always be hopeful, crazier things have happened in the world. :cool:

Yeah you might be my age by the time it happens. ;)

I don't think Walt Disney will license their toon soundtracks to outside labels, yes I know Varese released a few back in the day but I believe Intrada mentioned that on their website.

I wouldn't expect an expanded Lion King anytime soon.

As far as the Towering Inferno or some of the Varese OOP Club releases, I don't know if it's possible to re-issue without pressing another 3000. I don't look for any of those to see a re-issue anytime soon.

It might be an interesting question to ask Bruce Kimmel from Kritzerland since he has re-issued a few OOP FSM titles, but only at a 1000 units and the original pressings were from a box set that was limited to 1500.

Holy shit, I didn't realise it was the same Bruce Kimmel from Leslie Nielsen movie NAKED SPACE.

With all due respec Mark.

This thread is just one big "wank" list. ;)

Nice to see that even you indulge in a bit of self-abuse, every now and then, Stefan.

I would welcome a complete "Outland" ("Hot Water" is AMAZING!), re-sequenced, and with the two alternate Rec Room pieces, but I guess that I will just have to settle for that funny old French thing, that came out a few years back.