Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's (Philosopher's) Stone

Datameister

Any reason not to just use The Quidditch Match from the OST?

Most likely doesn't contain all the music from that sequence and is probably micro-edited. The OST is obsolete in this matter.

Any reason not to just use The Quidditch Match from the OST?

Most likely doesn't contain all the music from that sequence and is probably micro-edited. The OST is obsolete in this matter.

Actually, the OST track "The Quidditch Match" doesn't contain any microedits, surprisingly...it literally presents all four parts of 5m4 unabridged, with the correct segues and everything! Literally the only difference between that track and what you'd get by editing the four cues from the sessions together is that the sound quality is a little brighter on the OST.

I combined the session cues. I just don't trust JW and his pesky microedits so it felt safer to stay with a version I could be 100% sure wasn't edited. I know the scene and cue well, but you never know...

The only tracks I took from the OST were the Prologue, HWW and Hedwig's Theme.

The only tracks I used from the OST are the ones that don't appear in that form in any other version: The Arrival of Baby Harry (alternate), Diagon Alley and Christmas at Hogwarts (album versions). Everything else is on there: HWW is the end credits, the "mini" Hedwig's theme is the prologue, and Hogwarts Forever is part of the Children's Suite.

??? All 3 of those are in the sessions.... and in fact, HWW in the sessions is not micro-edited like it is on the OST

What about Hogwarts Forever?

That's in the sessions as well

The only tracks I used from the OST are the ones that don't appear in that form in any other version:

The Arrival of Baby Harry (alternate),

That's not an alternate... Williams simply inserted "Hedwig Tries A Cokie" into the middle of the cue to make the OST track. Both are available separately and cleanly in the sessions.

Diagon Alley

Simply a combination of the Children's Suite version with the end of the film version cue... Both available separately and cleanly in the sessions.

and Christmas at Hogwarts (album versions).

It is a fun arrangement of those 3 pieces of music, I agree.

Everything else is on there: HWW is the end credits, the "mini" Hedwig's theme is the prologue, and Hogwarts Forever is part of the Children's Suite.

Correct ;)

The only tracks I used from the OST are the ones that don't appear in that form in any other version:

That's not an alternate... Williams simply inserted "Hedwig Tries A Cokie" into the middle of the cue to make the OST track. Both are available separately and cleanly in the sessions.

And is therefore a viable different version and therefore an alternate, unless you want to edit it together yourself.

Diagon Alley

Simply a combination of the Children's Suite version with the end of the film version cue... Both available separately and cleanly in the sessions.

And again could be seen as a viable alternate if you're making a comprehensive set.

I used to put all possible alternately edited album versions on my edits, too, but often it's making the whole thing too long and basically adds stuff you already heard. I don't want to get tired of the music; so now I'm usually reserving these album edits for the alternate & shorter listening experience that is the album itself.

??? All 3 of those are in the sessions.... and in fact, HWW in the sessions is not micro-edited like it is on the OST

They sound a bit brighter on the OST. Microediting in HWW? Do you mean the repeated statements (4 instead of 2) before the family theme comes in, about halfway through, or something else?

What about Hogwarts Forever?

That's in the sessions as well

I don't like it. Didn't include it. JW's brass/children's work really doesn't do anything for me. I'm in this for the score, not the side dishes.

Exactly. I dumped the OST version as soon as I realised the 'alternate' bit was in fact an unrelated insert. I just kept the Coke Ad cue.

Unlike many scores, I went for a pure 'as heard in the film' approach. I love how the score works in the film and the alternates (Lonely Night, Owl's Flight) don't do much for me.

I've got a whole third disc made up of source cues, alternates, and the Children's Suite. Won't listen to it all the time, but I like to be thorough on my sets, just like the pros do.

I've got a whole third disc made up of source cues, alternates, and the Children's Suite. Won't listen to it all the time, but I like to be thorough on my sets, just like the pros do.

That's how I have it too. Discs 1 and 2 are the main score while Disc 3 are the alternate, source and suites.

And is therefore a viable different version and therefore an alternate, unless you want to edit it together yourself.

"Alternate" usually denotes an actual piece of music written by the composer, as far as I'm concerned. If you extend that word to mean "any piece that's been somehow edited"...well, it'd apply to any piece that's been somehow edited. ;)

I combined the session cues. I just don't trust JW and his pesky microedits so it felt safer to stay with a version I could be 100% sure wasn't edited. I know the scene and cue well, but you never know...

Take the four parts and line them up with the OST version if you really feel the need. Or whip out the sheet music and follow along. Trust me on this...the OST version is 100% micro-edit free.

I'm also certain the OST of Quidditch doesn't have micro edits. I do however think, after upping the volume on the recording session versions, that it does SOUND better than the OST. So for my set I do prefer a "connected" version with the session cues VS the OST.

One of the things that had me most excited about this set was hearing those cues separately...I just love that for any score. But for my edit, I still kept them together - my current approach is to always favor the way the score was intended to be heard in the film, as of the final scoring sessions. And those cues were most definitely written to segue into each other...and with even more skill than Williams normally exhibits. They fit together perfectly, truly sounding like a single piece of music. That's why I'm delighted to have them both ways.

Yep. Which is why in my perfect little world, complete releases would always have every cue separated out. Not because it's what the composer intended us to hear, not because it's the best listening experience, but simply because it's interesting to hear the art of film scoring broken down like that. Once you've got those separate cues, it's easy enough to either edit them together or get such an edit from someone else...faking clean openings and endings is a lot harder and a lot less accurate.

I kept all the cues separate and always include the Children' s Suite following the main score ,not tossed away on Disk 3 (well I don't used cdr's...who still uses that?)

Yep. Which is why in my perfect little world, complete releases would always have every cue separated out. Not because it's what the composer intended us to hear, not because it's the best listening experience, but simply because it's interesting to hear the art of film scoring broken down like that. Once you've got those separate cues, it's easy enough to either edit them together or get such an edit from someone else...faking clean openings and endings is a lot harder and a lot less accurate.

Mighty Thor will shower you with angry flashes.

I don't agree at all, I have to say

I have yet to listen to this set. It's simply too overwhelming in its native, unmodified recording sessions form. Kinda like the Avatar recording sessions, but just 60% as overwhelming.

Yea its only a fun listen once you've removed all the silence at the beginning and end of tracks, dumped all the multiple versions of the same insert, and combined the few cues that should be combined

Yep. Not to mention that SS runs circles around Avatar in terms of quality. ;)

I thought the general consensus here was Chris Columbus did a shitty job on PS and CoS!

They were talking about the scores, not the movies themselves.

Ah, yes.

As far as the scores go, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone and Avatar shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence! ;)

As to the movies, they are both great, in their own ways.

I like the two Columbus films the best, actually. They don't drop important information from the books like all the other films do

I like the two Columbus films the best, actually. They don't drop important information from the books like all the other films do

My feeling exactly!

PoA the movie is so overrated IMO, though it's not bad.

True, but the first two books were also among the shortest books in the series. A true-to-book Goblet of Fire would have been really long, though efforts to make it a two-parter fell through.

I can live with a lot of what the movies omitted; it's what they outright changed to something else that I find irritating.

True, but the first two books were also among the shortest books in the series. A true-to-book Goblet of Fire would have been really long, though efforts to make it a two-parter fell through.

I can live with a lot of what the movies omitted; it's what they outright changed to something else that I find irritating.

Yeah, the later books were too long NOT to omit large parts of them!

But PoA the movie also omitted many things (though the novel isn't that long), and as a result it seems a bit disjointed.

I never felt like they CHANGED too much, just started omitting too many things.

What mostly annoys me is the small things... in POA, take the 30 seconds to explain that the guys who made the Marauders Map are Harry's dad, Sirius Black, Lupin, and Pettigrew. Did the movie even explain that they were best friends and learned to become animagi to help take care of Lupin when he was a wolf?

In GOF, take the 20 seconds to explain why Harry's mom and dad popped out when Harry and Voldemort shot spells at each other at the same time

In OOTP, take the 5 seconds to have Umbridge say it was her that sent the Dementors to attack Harry at the beginning of the movie

Can't remember what annoyed me about HBP, but there was something

Can't remember what annoyed me about HBP, but there was something

No, not really. Just for the Death-Eaters burning the Burrow, which has to be there for Book 7. Nitpicking, I'd say.

In GOF, I disliked the fact that they don't show Barty Jr. getting the Dementor's Kiss, to make the Ministry's denial complete. Not to mention removing Dobby and Winky affects the circumstances surrounding Barty's presence at the Quidditch World Cup, which is significantly different from the book.

The fact that the films are not 100% faithful to the books -- which are not even wholly consistent with each other -- makes neither series any less enjoyable.

The problem is not there in Prisoner of Azkaban, which stands on its own wonderfully without any need for further info (I saw it before I read it); at the time they said they would just mention that Marauder's Map info in the next film, but then they didn't.

But it is very much there in the next films. While I will never be a subscriber to the film-needs-to-follow-the-book notion, it is amazing how in the Potter films, from the fourth onwards, they leave out the best parts. (I'd leave out the bad parts instead.) What I mean is it's incredible how they dedicate so much screen time of those movies to crappy scenes, and they always leave out the climax of the book: the Dumbledore-Harry conversation in the end, which always deepens the mythology and explains Dumbledore's awesomeness and intentions. Instead, they have some ridiculously short and unengaging Dumbledore-Harry scene about Harry's feelings and whatnot.

I still can't believe they cut out that hospital scene where Dumbledore asks Snape to go underground, either.

But we're deviating.

But PoA the movie also omitted many things (though the novel isn't that long), and as a result it seems a bit disjointed.

Hardly. I think that's only because you read the book. I haven't and do not notice this problem at all, while I can clearly tell in The Half Blood Prince where material was dropped despite not having read it.

What mostly annoys me is the small things... in POA, take the 30 seconds to explain that the guys who made the Marauders Map are Harry's dad, Sirius Black, Lupin, and Pettigrew. Did the movie even explain that they were best friends and learned to become animagi to help take care of Lupin when he was a wolf?

Again, it's not really a problem if you haven't read the books. In any case, their past friendships are clearly implied by how the characters act in the movie.

Hardly. I think that's only because you read the book. I haven't and do not notice this problem at all, while I can clearly tell in The Half Blood Prince where material was dropped despite not having read it.

Please review Post #491 before you attribute Josh500's comments to me.

I can only partially imagine what it's like to watch the movies without having read the books, for the most part.

I read 1, 2, and 3.

I watched 1, 2, and 3.

I started to read 4 and stopped.

I watched 4.

I read the rest of 4.

I watched 5 and 6.

I started to listen to the audiobook of 5 but stopped.

I listened to the rest of 5, then listened to 6 and 7.

I watched...a-ha, you almost got me to say it.

Nice. I saw movie 1, then immediately read all 4 books. Then for books 5-7 I read them each the day they came out (actually read HP7 a few days before it came out), and have seen all the movies since within the first month of release