Alexandre Desplat will score "Deathly Hallows Pt. 1"

TownerFan

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad, not really dissapointed cause I always said he wouldn't most likely. Oh well, there's still Tin Tin in about two years. Probably a good choice for Potter, all things considered.

Something more worrying I think is that with no other films scheduled, there was probably no reason for him to pass on the movie. There were rumors that the studio wanted him, so did he say no? Is he maybe ill, too tired, enjoying retirement too much? I hope he's fine.

Am I disappointed that it won't be Williams? Yes.

Am I disappointed that it's Desplat? Nope! He's an excellent composer and a self professed fan of Williams - in fact he never fails to mention that in interviews. He'll treat Williams' music with respect and will certainly compose wonderful music of his own that will most likely be the standout scores of the non-Williams films.

Didn't the movie producer (don't remember his name) said that he was practically scheduled to score Part 2? He said that there had been scheduling conflicts for Part 1... I don't know really.

We could still get a "Willy" score for Part 2, right? ...Right?

Look on the bright side people, at least he peaked the series with POA. But anyways...

darth-vader-noooo.jpg

Something more worrying I think is that with no other films scheduled, there was probably no reason for him to pass on the movie. There were rumors that the studio wanted him, so did he say no? Is he maybe ill, too tired, enjoying retirement too much? I hope he's fine.

I don't remember who, but one of the JWFan members here spoke with an inside source that told the producers wanted Williams to record the score in London (the whole production is UK-based), but apparently JW doesn't want to travel across the Atlantic anymore and requested to record in L.A. I guess they can't find an agreement.

Plus, we don't know if Spielberg has something in the pipeline for late '10.

Let's hope he is in good health, if that is indeed true he might be feeling too tired to travel or something and that would be a shame.

If that is the reason then it's somewhat a pity; as with 2002 Williams or the studio could have brought in someone else to conduct in London while Williams stayed in the US. Williams could still write but just wouldn't be there for recording.

I have little hope for Tintin, but then I don't really know what to expect. Though I am sort of guessing a Catch Me If You Can/Terminal-esque score. So fun with some really nice moments, but little lasting appeal.

Harry Potter was the last chance to get another JW fantasy score.

Huge disappointment.

Desplat is still better than Hooper or Doyle or anyone else than Williams right now.

Oh well at least we won't have to search DVD menus for unreleased music tidbits

Gotta be 100% honest - if it's true, I'm disappointed. I'm not a fan of Desplat - his music is far too meandering and 'soft' for my tastes. I think Potter needs something bolder.

Then again, the first part of Deathly Hallows is pretty meander-y.

Bold isn't necessarily good anyway, particularly when a good half of the current composers in the industry thing power anthems and loud percussion is bold. I'm just happy it's Desplat and not one of those "others" I mentioned.

More worrisome is that I think Tintin will be Williams last score

and it will be more than "The Terminal" .Tintin is action adventure ,but lighthearted so we probably will be getting something very thematic

And even better news, Danny Elfman's Wolfman score has been reinstated!!!!

No big suprise, I figured Williams wouldn't be scoring this film. I'm sure Desplat will do just fine.

Well fuck. I was really hoping for another Williams Potter score.

As for Desplat, I from what I've heard he should be good. He wrote a great score to Benjamin Button, and some great parts of The Golden Compass. The problem I think is with the action music. In TGC, most of it ended up being loud noise...

Anyways, here's hoping for Part 2...

Wait, his score to Wolfman really is back?

It appears so, however the film has be changed since his departure so Conrad Pope, and another unnamed composer, have been brought onboard to add some additional music based on the original score since Elfman is busy with Alice In Wonderland.

http://www.cinemusic.net/2010/01/18/howl-and-howl-again-elfman-back-in-on-the-wolf-man/

Interesting place to break such news, which makes me a little dubious. If it is true it is a bit disappointing, but a. Williams could still do part 2, and b. I'm unfamiliar with Desplat but based on all the positive comments about him the last year or two I'm sure we'll get something decent. Better than the last one, certainly.

Scoring Sessions has this to say about the Desplat rumor...

A few days ago I heard the same thing.... so there's probably some credence to it. The same conversation mentioned that JW is likely doing the last one. But take it all with a shaker of salt.

FSM is definitely emphasizing that Desplat is only signed on for Part 1.

Under Desplat, they write

...[he] has signed for one his most challenging and highest-profile assignments yet, the penultimate entry in the Harry Potter saga.

Under Williams, they write:

The 77-year-old maestro understandably seems happy to take it easy these days, at least as far as film scoring is concerned, and despite rumors that he might return to the Harry Potter franchise for its final episodes, another composer will be taking on the task for at least the penultimate entry in the series (see composer #3 for more details).

So there is still a tiny glimmer of hope that we may see Williams back for Part 2.

The problem I see with Part II is that it could maybe interfere with Tin Tin. Right now it seems there are no proyects in 2010 for Williams, unless Spielberg shoots something very, very fast, a shame he's not doing Part I, but if the rumors are true, he didn't want to do it. Perhaps all that talk about returning was just the usual Williams politeness and he doesn't find inspiration in returning to a franchise that he has scored 3 times already (or 2 and half, depending on how you count COS :P )

I don't think it was politeness--Heyman, the producer, said that Warner Brothers was negotiating with Williams. That has got to be more than politeness.

Well that sucks. Not a big surprise or anything, but Williams would have been a welcome present. I'm not very familiar with Desplat so I can't really say one way or the other if he's a good replacement. We shall see, I suppose.

I think this is a good move. If Williams was unable to do it, Desplat is a worthy successor. I believe Desplat's style will suit David Yates' direction and it will work well with the tone of DH. While I'd still love Williams to return for Part II (and I do have my fingers crossed that he will), it would be interesting to see Desplat develop his own ideas (and maybe even Williams') over a two-film arc. One definitely to look forward to for me.

Disappointment - sure. But certainly not disaster. I'm curious as to how much of Williams' material will be used... Desplat is a huge JW fan after all. At least it might be something interesting this time. He's well suited for this kind of a film.

Karol

I am pretty dissapointed Williams isn't doing Part 1 (and probably not Part 2 either, not to sound pessimistic). However, although I don't really care much for Desplat's music (I think they serve the films well but aren't too engaging out of them), it could have been a lot worse. Hell, it could have been an unknown, like Hooper pretty much was. Man, I'm so glad at least it isn't him again! I found his scores for Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince to be rather dull, save for a handful of cues. I think we should also be lucky it wasn't someone like Zimmer... though I like some of his scores, I wouldn't want him to touch Potter. It was scary enough hearing that Media Ventures-sounding version of the Potter theme in a trailer used for Half-Blood Prince... ugh!

Is Desplat really a John Williams fan? How do you know? And if so, I hope he quotes the themes well, and uses them appropriately.

Is Desplat really a John Williams fan? How do you know? And if so, I hope he quotes the themes well, and uses them appropriately.

At this point in the series, it makes more sense that he quotes Hoopers themes (are there any?). The only reminder of Williams' themes is the awkward HEDWIG quote here and there, but it never seems to mesh well with the tone of the new films or the scores.

Since DEATHLY HALLOWS is two parts, i don't expect the first to offer much room for musical excitement (they do travel a lot by the countryside, aren't they?).

More interestingly, if Williams returns for the finale (which at this point is rather doubtful), will he quote the new Hooper and Desplat themes? If not, the Potters are next to the JAMES BOND series for musical incoherence...

Yes! Desplat! The only one besides Williams I'd liked to take on the job. Looking forward to it!

Now replace the director with Cuaron and we're all set again.