The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

22 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

It’s kinda Psycho with a full orchestra. If it is What Lies Beneath I’ll get it because it’s Alan Silvestri but I have to admit that the excellent 6 minute end credits suite covers all the best material in a fine concert arrangement. 

The credits suite is indeed really good. But assuming it's WLB and it ends up as a nice single $20 CD, I'll very likely get it even if it's just to curate a nice alternative playlist.

I'm less interested in whatever the other one is. I do have both Starship and AvP but I'm not sure enough to buy an inevitable 2-CD set.

3 hours ago, Richard Penna said:
Could it possibly be Starship? Feels like yesterday that I bought the first one with the huge mastering error.

I did buy it yesterday!! :lol: Alright it was last month, but still I haven’t even spun it yet, so if it’s Starship Troopers, you’re all welcome. 

Isn’t it possible Varese’s perpetuity rights still somehow grant them access, just like how they’ve been able to keep expanding Warner Bros. titles even as every other label has been cut off?

Yavar

Fingers crossed. Much as I appreciate Intrada, their Disney pipeline is slow enough that it would really be nice if Varese could at least keep expanding some of the Fox titles they have perpetuity album rights on.

Yavar

I think Aliens is a fair guess, since they let that go OOP. 

Edit: hmm I guess that was temporary. It’s back in stock.   Wasn’t it on a low quantities list a few months ago?

If Aliens is in stock, I doubt we'll get it further expanded.

It's basically complete, but perhaps needs a little polish if it is to be revisited from the DE.

12 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What was the error?

The initial pressing had some major distortion in at least one (probably several) track and they had to do a repressing and send out a replacement copy to all initial purchasers. I have two copies as a result. It attracted a fair amount of comments about the labels listening to a sample before they send them out.

Regarding Aliens, I'd rather they focused on getting some titles out that have never been expanded, instead of one that's available on streaming.

Aliens vs Predator Requiem fits those emojis to a tee, though I'd rather an updated version of Aliens.

Alien.

Predator.

Blood (the film is quite gory).

Predator planet.

Predator mask.

Final scene is the Predator gun being delivered to Ms. Yutani.

Plus Alien Day is 4/26 but I just assumed these were all off-limits now that Disney owns Fox. Interesting if Varese managed to get a into their archives... doubly interesting if it's AVPR because it's an LA recording from 2007.

Was it recorded outside the US?  It's post-2005.

And why would they put a UFO in the twitter version?

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

The film opens with a sequence onboard the Predator spaceship, which crashes on earth.

No idea why the twitter version is different but this still fits the narrative of AVPR.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Curiously, no. It's an LA recording from 2007.

But Varese were able to get the post-2005 Star Trek scores expanded too, and it's still unclear how they managed that.

Wow, the clues do seem to fit that film nicely.

Would this be the first Brian Tyler expanded score release, if that's what it is?

Also, wasn't the AvPR OST pretty much complete? It's 77:11 long, while the movie is 94 minutes. If there is something missing, it might be some very minor stuff, stingers, maybe film versions of cues, etc.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

According to both Wikipedia and Discogs, it was recorded at the Newman Scoring Stage.

image.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliens_vs._Predator:_Requiem_(soundtrack)

https://www.discogs.com/release/2513994-Brian-Tyler-Aliens-Vs-Predator-Requiem-Original-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack

I can't imagine much is missing at all, no. Unless Tyler was just happy to get it done and had a few alternates to include.

Besides, there's only 4 Alien scores left to expand. Maybe this was just the easiest (I'm guessing Prometheus and Covenant are trickier due to multiple composers).

I have no idea what Kloser's stance is with expansions, maybe he wasn't interested in doing AVP1.

Maybe, if it's indeed AvPR, this time it'll be chronological? The OST wasn't in the film order at all (I remember reading somewhere that Decimation Proclamation plays in the climax but in the OST is track 3).

Also, could it be the first AvP? It's a 2004 movie so theoretically it'd be "easier" to expand than a 2007 recorded in LA.

I'd expect any DE to be chronological. Tyler and co. can shove their 'listening experience'.

Are we sure it's Requiem though? It feels a bit unlikely to me if there would be so little unreleased material. Kloser's score surely has more missing.

The planet emoji doesn't really fit AVP1 though? The whole film takes place on earth.

We see the Predator homeworld in AVPR, where he selects his mask (ie. the 4th and 5th emojis).

11 minutes ago, Evanus said:

I'd prefer a reissue of Predator 2. Since I'd rather not pay $100 for the current one that's out of print..

Plus it sounds like it could really use a new master. Isn't this one of the most-complained about loudness war ones?

Yavar

Seriously, What Lies Beneath. It has 7 minutes of very excellent listenable score all included on the 2000 album. The rest is Silvestri strings sustaining themselves....scraping the barrel.

12 hours ago, thestat said:

Seriously, What Lies Beneath. It has 7 minutes of very excellent listenable score all included on the 2000 album. The rest is Silvestri strings sustaining themselves....scraping the barrel.

I had a listen to some of the unreleased material on YouTube and I party agree - it's not a score that screams major unreleased highlights. Although I think the OST has way more worthwhile material than 7 mins.

But neither are quite a few DEs Varese has done. The last one (bar HTTYD) I got was The Time Machine where even as a fan of the score, all the essential music was on the OST. Maybe one extra cue I'd have included.

They're clearly trying to do a mix of scores where the expansion was badly needed and scores that are still represented only by their 30-minuters and will have some sort of audience in full form.

I'm less charitable with something like AVPR - if the album is already essentially complete and it's more part of a campaign to get all Alien-verse scores out in full form... meh. They have scores in perpetuity that need it more.

I seem to remember AVPR being one of a number of Tyler scores that starts off great and gets more and more tedious as the album goes on. Also, Tyler positively suffocates most of his scores with compression so all of his (moderately interesting) orchestration is often totally buried. Only when I heard clips of concerts did I realise how good some of his stuff actually is.  I think John Powell used to have this issue but has clearly realised the value of dynamic range…

44 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I've never heard a note. I'm not a fan of Tyler outside of his Yellowstone universe work.

Fair. I’m not especially a fan either but some of his stuff is pretty enjoyable even if it lacks any kind of nuance. 

Lol, everybody was pretty sure it was going to be AVPR :lol2:

Either way, I'd be extremely happy if it were AVPR. Not because I'm a fan of the score (Decimation Proclamation is really good but the rest is just dull suspense scoring) but because it's a post-2005 recorded in LA score. So any expansion could mean that they sorted out (or at least are in the path of doing just that) the things with AFM and their stupid rule.

As for Doom... Well, it came out in October 21, 2005 in the United States so its score surely was recorded before the July 3rd cutoff date. Bummer :(

On 17/04/2024 at 11:26 PM, Jay said:

Since releases co-licensed from 20th Century Fox/Studios to any label stopped at the end of 2022, anything in the Alien/Predator franchise seems unlikely to me.

What Lies Beneath is a DreamWorks/Fox co-production. (So maybe it got through because DreamWorks has the US rights.)

How much is missing from Sahara? Any film versions or interesting unreleased cues? I listened to the OST years ago and really enjoyed it. In fact, I think I'm gonna listen to it again...