The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

Don't look at me.... :ph34r:

Anyway, maybe it turns out that 80% of non US orders are UK. Something must explain why being based outside the EU is more efficient and cheaper.

Varese usually has pretty fast shipping though (I'm sure one of my DEs arrived in less than a week) so I'm going to stick with their main site for now.

15 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

Just got my shipping notice… but I shipped it to my previous address. 🤦‍♂️

Then you can ask yourself to send it to you when you get it. ;)

• 1 month later...

https://www.facebook.com/varesesarabanderecords/posts/pfbid02jfGy7AsdqBdSQYc5M4tnrPJRUSVrXawActEe9KeEC6yVn9i3NhVtUA3qEoHRDUHXl

We're announcing two new CD Club titles this Friday, and it's a scary pairing. Clues coming on Wednesday as usual. Get excited.

15 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

It's probably another forgotten 80s/90s horror stuff by Richard Band or someone similar.

Kind of an odd thing to say, since Varese Sarabande hasn't released a Richard Band album since 1987... in fact while they released a half dozen Richard Band scores on LP, I'm not even sure whether Varese ever put out one of his scores on CD! Intrada tackled most of those, expanding and remastering them...

I'm honestly a little stumped... maybe a Beltrami score like Blade II? Lots of candidates I think of are Disney-owned (including Fox titles) and I don't know that last time Varese expanded a Disney-owned score. But if possible, The Mephisto Waltz and The Other are what I want most... or The Final Conflict complete, of course.

Yavar

I doubt it. Had it been such an antecipated score by a big name composer there would be... I dunno... A bit more of oomph in their release? Which is why I think it's just two direct-to-VHS horror movies by less famous composers.

2 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I doubt it. Had it been such an antecipated score by a big name composer there would be... I dunno... A bit more of oomph in their release?

The release hasn't happened yet. Not even their normal clue game has happened yet (that usually occurs the Wednesday before).

3 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Which is why I think it's just two direct-to-VHS horror movies by less famous composers.

I don't follow your logic. When is the last time Varese released the score to a direct-to-VHS horror movie?

Yavar

It's not logic, it's not an argument based in any careful and detailed study of all the Varese releases over the decades, that I leave it for you and Jay do for us :)

I just saw that they used the word "scary" and since this doesn't seem to be a "blockbuster release" (in terms of being an eagerly awaited score by a big name composer) I just thought it might be a small horror trash or something. It was just a guess. 

But don't worry, next time, before I comment on this or the other label threads, I'll painstakingly analyse every release by every label since the beginning in order to decorate their patterns, what kind of score they release in different times of the year, etc. 

I don't see where any ideas come from about this not being a "blockbuster release" or a big name composer. Goldsmith's Love Field arrived after precisely zero fanfare back in 2021, as did Williams' Presumed Innocent. Similar with the complete Matrix a while back - they all just use the standard clue game.

If they do the emoticon thing again it's probably going to take us 20 minutes to guess them. Oh, and just in time for HTTYD 3 to finally grace us with its presence on streaming (everyone has their CD, right? Otherwise Powell will be mad... :P )

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

But don't worry, next time, before I comment on this or the other label threads, I'll painstakingly analyse every release by every label since the beginning in order to decorate their patterns, what kind of score they release in different times of the year, etc. 

Obviously that's not what I'm saying. But when you write, "It's probably another forgotten 80s/90s horror stuff by Richard Band or someone similar... I think it's just two direct-to-VHS horror movies by less famous composers" it's like you haven't been paying much attention *at all* to what they have been releasing for years. "Another"... after what? The only thing I can think of even remotely matching your description is I guess the Deluxe Edition of April Fool's Day by Charles Bernstein? But there certainly hasn't been a pattern of these.

And no, Varese doesn't tend to trumpet details like "expansion of a blockbuster score by a big name composer" when it's just the announcement of an announcement, so them failing to do so indicates precisely nothing at all. The only clue we have so far is "scary" -- my best guess is another Beltrami expansion but my greatest hope would be them working out a deal with Disney to expand The Final Conflict/The Other/The Mephisto Waltz or maybe even The 13th Warrior...

Yavar

This really could've just been a "I have my expectations low based on the current description not sounding like my thing" tbh

1 hour ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I'm honestly a little stumped... maybe a Beltrami score like Blade II?

Probably not a "scary" score, although it scared me when I was a kid, but I would love an expanded Terminator 3 release.

OST was released by Varese, hopefully they can finally do a deluxe edition someday.

What horror scores does Varese have in perpetuity?  That would be a good start.  I also wouldn’t put it past them to start issuing individual “complete editions”/“deluxe editions” of the Scream movies based on what was released in the box a few years ago.

45 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

my greatest hope would be them working out a deal with Disney to expand The Final Conflict/The Other/The Mephisto Waltz or maybe even The 13th Warrior...

I too hope that they've managed to get things arranged with Disney as The 13th Warrior would be a notable expansion for my nostalgic side.

I don't think 'scary' needs to mean straight up horror though - just some character or element of it.

Unfortunately I don't think Ice Age or I, Robot qualify. Sphere would of course, but that would take a miracle. What about Evolution, if Powell is continuing his expansion quest?

1 hour ago, Chewy said:

Probably not a "scary" score, although it scared me when I was a kid, but I would love an expanded Terminator 3 release.

OST was released by Varese, hopefully they can finally do a deluxe edition someday.

Actually if we are talking Beltrami sequel scores controlled by Varese which they could expand, Terminator 3 interests me more than Blade II.

Yavar

37 minutes ago, OneBuckFilms said:

T3 would be fantastic. I really love that score. The film: eh.

I LOVED the ending. But the film wasn't quite worth the payoff. Oh, and that truck chase! OK, two things I loved about the film.

1 hour ago, OneBuckFilms said:

T3 would be fantastic. I really love that score.

Yeah, I like bits and pieces of the first two synth scores by Brad Fiedel, and they generally work okay in the films themselves... but (for me anyways) Marco Beltrami was a huge improvement.

Yavar

Album 1: 🤷‍♀️🛁🔪☠👻
Album 2: 👽😈🩸🪐👺🔫

What Lies Beneath suggested already on FB.

Second... alien, monster, blood, planet... gun. Could it possibly be Starship? Feels like yesterday that I bought the first one with the huge mastering error.

I'd be open to that if it's got some interesting unreleased material. I'm giving the OST a refresher and it now comes across to me as a more melodic variation on the sorts of Horror stuff I like from Bishara.

Rebuying Starship would be a slightly tougher sell as I'm not familiar with the film nor what's missing, but still open to it.

51 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:
Second... alien, monster, blood, planet... gun. Could it possibly be Starship? Feels like yesterday that I bought the first one with the huge mastering error.

Maybe it's Star Wars? ;) :lol:

For the first one, if it is indeed What Lies Beneath, I'm not familiar with either movie or score. I remember reading some reviews back in the day saying it's an uninspired Silvestri thriller score but I never heard it.

First one has to be What Lies Beneath. The bath tub and ghost leave little doubt. (A ouija board is missing, but maybe there's no emoji for that?)

Don't really see Starship Troopers in the second one. What's a purple monster face, a drop of blood, Saturn (?), and that masked face got to do with it? (It's also not a horror film… but then I wouldn't really call WLB horror either)

16 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

but then I wouldn't really call WLB horror either

Varese never said "horror"; they said "scary" and I think WLB definitely qualifies there.

37 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

For the first one, if it is indeed What Lies Beneath, I'm not familiar with either movie or score. I remember reading some reviews back in the day saying it's an uninspired Silvestri thriller score but I never heard it.

Huh. I'm not a big Silvestri fan in general but I really enjoyed this score in the film itself; he is channeling his inner Bernard Herrmann big time:

I confess I never bought the original Varese album, because it was one of those that was *under* half an hour long! So I'm interested in this...

Yavar

2 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

Could it be Aliens?

You know what, with Alien day approaching and 4K release coming out next week I wouldn't be at all surprised. The previous expansion is over 20 years old now.

Karol

2 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Varese never said "horror"; they said "scary" and I think WLB definitely qualifies there.

Ah. True then.

2 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Huh. I'm not a big Silvestri fan in general but I really enjoyed this score in the film itself; he is channeling his inner Bernard Herrmann big time:

Yes, the score always gave me strong Herrmann vibes. It's a fine score and works very well in the film, from what I recall. But I have the old album and I don't think I need more than that.

4 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

What's the clown face looking thing next to the ray gun? How would that fit in for Aliens?

A disguise, representing a robot in disguise as a human.

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

What's the clown face looking thing next to the ray gun? How would that fit in for Aliens?

it's not a clown face but a mask.

Could be Predator I or II which, if the 1st one is What Lies Beneath, a Silvestri double release

The only titles Varese releases in their Club line these days are titles they own perpetuity rights to*.  They don't own perpetuity rights to Predator (and the Intrada edition is still in print), and they just Deluxed Predator 2 10 years ago

Here's a list of titles they own in perpetuity

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=86092&forumID=1&archive=0

* Dracula, HTTYD 2, and HTTYD 3 are the only exceptions in the past 10 years or so.

1 hour ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I confess I never bought the original Varese album, because it was one of those that was *under* half an hour long! So I'm interested in this...

Nor me - I actually had to check my flac archive to check whether I'd bought this at some point in the past, and I don't have it. I have two tracks that I must've obtained at some point.

I put on the OST on Spotify earlier and it was a kind of enjoyable half hour with a few proper highlights, so particularly as I never bought it, I reckon I'd be up for this.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

Second could be something like horror clowns from outer space.

But Varese already released that:

https://varesesarabande.com/products/killer-clowns-from-outer-space-reimagined?_pos=2&_psq=killer&_ss=e&_v=1.0

Cool project/album!

Yavar

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Yes, the score always gave me strong Herrmann vibes. It's a fine score and works very well in the film, from what I recall. But I have the old album and I don't think I need more than that.

It’s kinda Psycho with a full orchestra. If it is What Lies Beneath I’ll get it because it’s Alan Silvestri but I have to admit that the excellent 6 minute end credits suite covers all the best material in a fine concert arrangement. 

45 minutes ago, Jay said:

The only titles Varese releases in their Club line these days are titles they own perpetuity rights to*.  They don't own perpetuity rights to Predator (and the Intrada edition is still in print), and they just Deluxed Predator 2 10 years ago

Here's a list of titles they own in perpetuity

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=86092&forumID=1&archive=0

* Dracula, HTTYD 2, and HTTYD 3 are the only exceptions in the past 20 years or so.

*only exceptions in the past 10 years or so. If you extend it 20 years there are others such as The Egyptian: The Deluxe Edition (2011) or the (non-Club) Stargate: The Deluxe Edition (2006). The Robe: The Deluxe Edition as well as their DE of Poltergeist II were just over 20 years ago (2003). I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking of off the top of my head...

Yavar