The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

12 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Pretty sure Quartet put out the complete score (and it’s great!)

Yes, but the clue indicates she’s killing herself softly. ;) 

We couldn't have been more wrong :lol:

I thought Blood Simple sounded familiar and I have a promo with that paired with Raising Arizona, but evidently neither appealed to me. Burwell doesn't quite do it for me outside of Fargo and The Alamo.

Is it me, or does April Fools' day have nothing to do with either picture?

I've never seen either film so wouldn't know if the clue images relate to their plots or something

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

I've never seen either film

Me, neither, so now I’m a little confused which one to get.  I think I’ll choose the Burwell. 

Hmmmm…I got the OST for April Fools Day as part of that LP to CD mystery box they did a few years ago, and I actually liked it - a good few tracks from it ended up on my Halloween vibes film score playlist.  Kind of interested in the fact that the film program is orchestral, too.

It's interesting how they keep doing relatively obscure scores when there's still a bunch of big ones in the Varese vault (Brainstorm for one, obviously). I'm not sure if that's an indication that they still have dedicated & knowledgeable people coordinating the series (who care for *not only* the big hits), or that they're just randomly releasing stuff now and nobody is making sure that the "important" ones don't get left out.

Well most of the ones that have made it out the door lately have been through Paramount or Warner Bros, so it could be as simple as they started work on a lot of scores, from a variety of composers, but then many have been held up in the approval process

If Varese finally does Brainstorm, I don't know what Horner score to hope for next - the labels have gotten around to every score by him I loved back in the day, now, and all his post-Titanic OST albums that I know are very long and do a great job of covering the highlights  Time to start exploring the depth of his filmography I suppose

Well we still don't have any Zorro expansions, Fievel Goes West needs an expansion too. As a big fan of Mighty Joe Young and Bobby Stroke of Genius that's two more for me. An expansion for TASM would also be more than welcome

9 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

Well we still don't have any Zorro expansions, Fievel Goes West needs an expansion too. As a big fan of Mighty Joe Young and Bobby Stroke of Genius that's two more for me. An expansion for TASM would also be more than welcome

Agreed on all of the above, plus I'd want:

1. A complete new recording (or at least an expansion) of Battle Beyond the Stars (1980)

2. Premiere licensed release of The Hand (1981)

3. Premieres of The Dresser (1983) and The Stone Boy (1984) -- even though they are brief

4. Premiere licensed release of Heaven Help Us (1985) -- lovely Celtic Horner that looks forward to a lot of later scores

5. Premiere of Volunteers (1985) -- I know Roger Feigelson has been trying for a long time now

6. Expansions of some of the Disney Horner premieres Intrada did many years ago (i.e. Honey I Shrunk the Kids)

7. Premiere of his rejected score to Young Guns (1988) -- hear five minutes of it (though probably not the original film recording) here:

And I think there are still more MCA albums deserving of expansion as well, like Dad.

Yavar

Ah yes, Honey I Shrunk The Kids.  That's up there for me - I love that score, and find that it flows great in complete form, no dead weight.  I like that Horner was around to suggest a non-C&C program for its premiere release on Intrada in 2009, but a proper complete edition would be awesome to have now

I would love a more complete presentation of The Journey of Natty Gann, sadly if the masters are truly lost like Simon Rhodes wrote on the Intrada liner notes, I'm afraid that the current presentation is all we'll ever get. I still hope the masters will surface back or even lower fidelity source, after all the four bonus tracks sounded pretty good

1 hour ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Agreed on all of the above, plus I'd want:

1. A complete new recording (or at least an expansion) of Battle Beyond the Stars (1980)

That’s the one I’d want. I wish Tadlow would make it happen.

2 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Blood Simple is obscure? In what universe? It was Carter Burwell's very first film score (one of the most distinctive film scoring debuts in film history) for the debut feature film by the Coen Bros. In terms of how well the films are known, you can check IMDb to see that about ten times as many people (over 100,000) have rated Blood Simple, compared with Brainstorm. (Oh, and for that matter about 5,000 more people have seen/rated April Fool's Day, compared with Brainstorm.)

Of course Blood Simple the film isn't obscure. And Burwell is well known and rightfully well respected in film music circles (I don't have much by him myself, but what I have is good, and what I don't still have always elevates the film). And I'm sure hardly anybody remembers Brainstorm the film.

I was partly talking from a point of view of people without a specific interest in film music, coming from your earlier comments that the real devotees/insiders have left Varese. Aside from Williams, Shore, and Zimmer, I imagine Horner is one of the few big names from the 90s that people with just a cursory interest in film music might still recognise. Certainly more than Burwell. To put it another way: Horner got his own edition of Hollywood in Vienna. So did Zimmer and Shore, and Williams would have, had he been interested. I can't imagine they'd do one for Burwell, and I'm afraid it probably wouldn't sell out (like all the others have) - I personally would be there, no doubt.

And partly even within our community, I'd say Brainstorm is one of the "big missing titles", whereas I don't recall many people yearning for years for a Deluxe Edition of Blood Simple. Likewise, Charles Bernstein isn't unknown, although I'm hardly familiar with his work personally, but I've never heard of this particular film, and I'm fairly sure an announcement of the Brainstorm score would make a much bigger impact.

And none of that is to say that these shouldn't be released, or shouldn't be released before something like Brainstorm. Again, I was following your earlier suggestion that the film music insiders had left Varese, and wondering if releases like this are a sign of the people in charge caring enough about the music itself to specifically do releases like this, or so little that they just happen randomly.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

If Varese finally does Brainstorm, I don't know what Horner score to hope for next - the labels have gotten around to every score by him I loved back in the day, now, and all his post-Titanic OST albums that I know are very long and do a great job of covering the highlights  Time to start exploring the depth of his filmography I suppose

Sneakers?

3 hours ago, Jay said:

RED HEAT

3 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Blood Simple is obscure? In what universe? It was Carter Burwell's very first film score (one of the most distinctive film scoring debuts in film history) for the debut feature film by the Coen Bros.

More obscure, relative to Brainstorm, I'd say. I've only even heard of this film becaue I came across Varese's original release at some point. I think that if you don't follow Burwell that closely it could be considered slightly obscure. A bit like one of JNH's earliest scores, perhaps.

I would say in the general public, more people have heard of Blood Simple than have heard of Brainstorm (but most have heard of neither)

Among cinephiles, more people have heard of Blood Simple than heave heard of Brainstorm (because the Coens went on to make many great films moreso than its own merits)

Among film score fans, I'd guess more people would know the Brainstorm score than the Blood Simple score

I also think a specialty label would sell more copies of a Brainstorm expansion than a Blood Simple expansion

That doesn't mean both shouldn't happen, of course.  All scores deserve to be released in complete form!

1 hour ago, A. A. Ron said:

That’s the one I’d want. I wish Tadlow would make it happen.

Alas, Tadlow no longer really exists as a label. James Fitzpatrick retired a few years ago, and this year even stopped fulfilling orders made on the Tadlow website, for existing releases. See this thread:

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=150551&forumID=1&archive=0

Maybe Intrada might consider including it as a future poll option?

Yavar

14 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

an album created for listening and not for preservation.

I'm all for complete editions and even to me this sounds weird. "Why would we want an album to LISTEN to?!?"

The ghost of Jerry is shouting "bottlecaps!" right now.

@BryonDavis, you're back!  Welcome, welcome.

Remember when you said this about Brainstorm?

On 25/08/2020 at 10:37 PM, BryonDavis said:

It is a goal of mine to try and make this happen.

Can you share with us what difficulties exist in releasing a new edition of this score?

Varese has no perpetuity rights on Leviathan -- that was shared on FB years ago. They didn't typically get perpetuity rights agreements in the 1980s (it started at some point later in 1989, apparently). I'm pretty sure Peter Hackman (when he was working at Varese) shared that they DID have perpetuity rights on Medicine Man.  I suspect the hold-up there is Disney ownership. I can't remember the last time Varese licensed something from Disney, but it was a while ago. Medicine Man is my most wanted Varese expansion at this point though.

I'll echo the chorus and say I'm very glad to see you back here @BryonDavis!

Yavar

Yes, Medicine Man is my most wanted Varese-controlled Goldsmith, but the Disney ownership is indeed a bummer.   Does anyone know/remember if Varese has EVER done a Deluxe Edition licensed from Disney?

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Yes, Medicine Man is my most wanted Varese-controlled Goldsmith, but the Disney ownership is indeed a bummer.   Does anyone know/remember if Varese has EVER done a Deluxe Edition licensed from Disney?

They’ve done premiere Club titles licensed from Disney, I know that. I think the Elmer Bernstein rejected scores set were all Disney-owned scores. And of course they’ve done some wide release albums like Mancini’s The Great Mouse Detective and Bernstein’s The Black Cauldron (which was a re-recording for album, reissued as an Encore title several years ago).

Yavar

• 1 month later...

Shocktober Sale at Varese for anyone who is interested in a medium assortment of moderate savings.   I found it odd that they used the Poster Art from Creepshow 2 in their banner, a title for which they do not have the rights. 

https://varesesarabande.com/collections/shocktober-2023?utm_source=Varese+Sarabande&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=vs_newsletter_930

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...