The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

I know, it's been a while, but now that we've returned from 1985 it seems like a good time for a couple good, old-fashioned CD Club releases. We'll announce them Monday, June 22. See you next week!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1598033297126198&set=a.1383486185247578.1073741834.100007586280737&type=1

My hopes:

John Williams - Dracula, Earthquake, or The Eiger Sanction (straight re-issues or expansions, either way)

Jerry Goldsmith - Air Force One (2CD Complete) or Gremlins II: The New Batch (Complete)

Basil Poledouris - Starship Troopers (2CD Complete) or Robocop 3 (Complete)

Alan Silvestri - Back To The Future III (Complete) or Volcano (Complete)

James Newton Howard - Outbreak (Complete) or The Sixth Sense (Complete)

There doesn't seem to be anything on D2 Mastering this time....

My hopes:

John Williams - Dracula, Earthquake, or The Eiger Sanction (straight re-issues or expansions, either way)

Jerry Goldsmith - Air Force One (2CD Complete) or Gremlins II: The New Batch (Complete)

I'd buy most of these.

I wonder how many "a couple" is.

According to Varèse's twitter page there will also be a Club CD release on Thursday. :huh: Nothing about this on their facebook page which says Club CD releases will be announced on Monday.

https://twitter.com/VareseSarabande/status/610869512712290305/photo/1

Way to promote yourself, Varese!

On Robert Townson's Facebook:

I know, it's been a while, but now that we've returned from 1985 it seems like a good time for a couple of good, old-fashioned CD Club releases. We'll announce them Monday, June 22. See you next week!

(This implies Midnight PST as Varese has traditionally always done)

On Varese's Facebook:

I know, it's been a while, but now that we've returned from 1985 it seems like a good time for a couple good old-fashioned CD Club releases. We'll announce them Monday, June 22 at 10AM. See you next week!

10am? OK, that's new.

On Twitter:

New CD Club title announcement this Thursday- what do you think it’s going to be? Sound off - and see in 2 days!

Thursday the 18th? OK....

what the heck?

Someone on FSM pointed out that the absence of any promotional hype (or consistency, apparently) may imply that this batch will actually contain something interesting :)

Varese's Electric Light Orchestra performs mellow pop-synth ballad versions of your favourite main themes from the 80s on 10 magnificent discs? :P

So we might get the announcement at midnight PST tonight.... or 10am PST tomorrow... or midnight PST Sunday night... or 10am PST Monday..... who knows!

I just hope it contains Starship Troopers and a Williams title

Varese's Electric Light Orchestra performs mellow pop-synth ballad versions of your favourite main themes from the 80s on 10 magnificent discs? :P

You know what's really sad about that 1985 set? That the first disc containing new re-recordings is actually a very nice compilation. Should have been released as such. Bit 1990's, sure, but very pleasant nontheless.

Karol

That box is actually just a ploy in order to have massive sales on that CD of rerecordings once it's released as a single disc. Everyone will then pick that release up very quickly, since it will be released in limited numbers "due to popular fan demand".

It's brilliant. Nobody will know that the 1985 box does not exist because nobody's bought it.

OK, Varese has tweeted its Monday, not tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/VareseSarabande/status/611277205163749377

https://twitter.com/VareseSarabande/status/611277377226715136

They even deleted the errant tweet!

I was gonna say the 22nd is Monday, lol. Well hopefully there will be something I will want to get.

Someone on FSM pointed out that the absence of any promotional hype (or consistency, apparently) may imply that this batch will actually contain something interesting :)

If Varese's next batch of titles include Mark McKenzie's Dragonheart 3... I will be happy as a clam. The samples alone make it a keeper.

The new Club titles are:

Jerry Goldsmith - Gremlins 2: The New Batch

James Newton Howard - Outbreak

Well, two of the ones on my wish list were in fact the titles. Here's hoping that 2 more will come out real soon!

• 2 weeks later...
CD CLUB NEWS: We've started shipping the GREMLINS 2 and OUTBREAK Deluxe Editions and already have one more new CD Club title that we can't wait to share and will announce on Monday, July 6 at 10 am, along with 4 Limited Edition series CDs! See you on the 6th!

https://www.facebook.com/robert.townson.16/posts/1603524649910396

What do you mean? They are said Monday's batch is 5 titles (1 Club and 4 LE).

One of the LEs could be Seventh Son or the Monkey King!

Hopefully the Club title is Starship Troopers, Volcano, BTTF3, or Air Force One...

They're usually smaller recent scores, but yes. Have for a few years now.

What do you mean? They are said Monday's batch is 5 titles (1 Club and 4 LE).

One of the LEs could be Seventh Son or the Monkey King!

Hopefully the Club title is Starship Troopers, Volcano, BTTF3, or Air Force One...

I meant that I was momentarily surprised at another batch right after this one, but then I remembered this one only had two releases so it didn't mean a sudden influx of releases.

I'd definitely buy AF1, possibly Volcano too. They have a load from 1997 actually - really good year for scores.

Lost; The Last Episodes is the only thing I've ever bought from their Limited line as well. Usually its smaller films I've never heard of by composers I'm not too familiar with

BTW looks like they never added last years LE releases to that Varese page

2014-07-28 Nuno Malo - No God, No Master (4219 - 1,000)
2014-07-28 Elia Cmiral - Wicked Blood (4218 - 1,000)
2014-07-28 Reinhold Heil - Haunt (4217 - 1,000)

And the new batch is:

Mark McKenzie - DragonHeart 3: The Sorceror's Curse (300 autographed copies)

Dario Marianelli - Third Person (1,000 copies)

Nathan Barr - Hemlock Grove (Season 2) (1,000 copies)

Jeff Beal - The Dovekeepers (100 autographed copies)

Various - Fimucité 6 (3,000 copies)

Yes

I'm listening to the samples for Mark McKenzie's Dragonheart 3. When will Varese Sarabande release the CD? It's been several months, and I've forgotten how good McKenzie's music is.

I might be tempted to buy the movie...

If Varese's next batch of titles include Mark McKenzie's Dragonheart 3... I will be happy as a clam. The samples alone make it a keeper.