J.J. Abrams and Steven Spielberg collaborate for "Super 8"

Koray Savas

Source

Apparently Abrams wrote a script homaging Spielberg's 70s and 80s films, and wants him to be involved with the project as an advisor or executive producer. Could be interesting, VERY interesting. Just think what Giacchino could come up with!

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes more of a sign that Spielberg will pick Giacchino to replace Williams when the time comes.

Then Abrams and Spielberg can duke it out for who gets dibs!

In all seriousness, though, it'd be cool to hear a Giacchino score for a Spielberg film.

If J.J. wants the full "Spielberg" experience, he should have Johnny score it. But unless JW gets personally interested in the project, it doesn't seem really likely.

However, I bet Giacchino will do an amazing score!

If J.J. wants the full "Spielberg" experience, he should have Johnny score it. But unless JW gets personally interested in the project, it doesn't seem really likely.

However, I bet Giacchino will do an amazing score!

I'm not sure a self-homage based on music he's already written even sounds interesting to me. I'd rather just listen to the actual scores. Let someone else pay the homage.

I think it could be an interesting project. J.J. is known to be a huge Spielberg fan, while Steven is also a professed Abrams admirer (he said he's a fan of Alias and Lost)

It's fun, because I was thinking just the other day how much the early Spielberg films influenced the pop culture in which we still live today. Jaws, Close Encounters, Raiders and E.T. are some of the cornerstones on which subsequent Hollywood producers and directors like J.J. Abrams built their own visions.

However, I also sincerely hope Spielberg will be back behind the camera as soon as possible.

NEWS FLASH: SPIELBERG PROJECT CAUSES MURMURS ON THE INTERNET. AGAIN. THE COUNTDOWN TO CANCELLATION BEGINS.

Greetings from the island of Rhodos, in sunny Greece, by the way :P

Well I don't know how many people know about this, but it's official. Abrams' new film is currently dubbed as Super 8, and the teaser will debut in front of Iron Man 2. At first people thought it would have been a Cloverfield prequel or sequel, but it's now confirmed to be the Spielberg produced flick. There's a detailed description of the teaser on MovieWeb and it sounds awesome. Really looking forward to this one.

if Abrams could only have a coherent decent movie this would be interesting. But it's not.

There's something about seeing those two names and studios on the same project that just makes me feel all warm inside.

They could be the next Spielberg/Lucas duo.

Well that wasn't on the same level of awesomeness as the first Cloverfield teaser, but it could have just been a blank screen as long as it said both Spielberg and Abrams. I'm intrigued.

I expected the trailer to be in the style of the old trailers of the 70s-80s. I guess it looks good, but if the whole point of it is to be a Spielberg homage, I didn't get a single ounce of Spielbergness from the trailer.

It's a teaser. They're not gonna show much.

I don't even know if Abrams has begun shooting yet.

Homage doesn't necessarily mean visual, it could be plot and story.

I've heard buzz that the film involves an alien creature and young kids

. So that could be the homage.

Looks great! Wouldn't it be awesome if Johnny scored it? Or maybe just a sort of medley for the end credits. I mean, imagine... Tintin, War Horse, and Super 8! :)

Looks interesting. Abrams should replace Lucas :P

I hope the story is great.

I can picture it... "Williams & Variations" as the last cue in the score ala Star Trek :)

• 3 weeks later...

Saw the trailer for Super 8 last night, there is a huge CE3K homage at the begining that I didn't see on the internet version.

Saw the trailer for Super 8 last night, there is a huge CE3K homage at the begining that I didn't see on the internet version.

What was that? I didn't really remember anything different between seeing it on IM2 and watching it online (aside from being able to catch some of those images in the footage by frame-by-framing it on Quicktime).

What was that? I didn't really remember anything different between seeing it on IM2 and watching it online (aside from being able to catch some of those images in the footage by frame-by-framing it on Quicktime).

The opening long ditance shot of the train is very similar to the long shot of Neary's truck pursuing the UFO, minus the shadow of the UFO flying over.

http://www.super8-movie.com/

The opening long ditance shot of the train is very similar to the long shot of Neary's truck pursuing the UFO, minus the shadow of the UFO flying over.

http://www.super8-movie.com/

Oh, gotcha. Yeah, now that I think of that, it wasn't there. Very true. Man, I need to see CEOT3K.

• 1 month later...

DAMN!

I forgot what this movie was about. I couldnt think of any interesting question to ask giacchino at Ubeda. Something like if he was going to play homage to williams style on the 80's spielberg movies could have been a nice question.

we got a phone call that day from Steven Spielberg's assistant, who at the time was Kathleen Kennedy." He explained that Spielberg wanted

huh? :)

• 6 months later...

I thought it looked like more of the same. Crashing train cars that fly in your direction (in a way only CGI can do), monster on the loose, ... Are we really waiting for that? Again?!

Yeah, really, all trailers should be teasers. I can't count how many films I've seen without actually seeing them, simply because I was treated to one-minute condensed versions of them before other films.

Don't get me wrong, if a full theatrical trailer is done really well, it can be fun. But a good teaser gives you just enough information to get excited about a film but not enough to get rid of your curiosity.

I don't care how little the teaser showed, it's Spielberg (who's stock is admittedly pretty low at this point, for him) and Abrams (who's stock is very, very high for me). I'm pumped.