Danny Elfman's Batman (2CD Complete)

Jay

There are some issues but it's stuff that can't be helped. If the tapes weren't stored or taken care of properly, then there's only so much LaLaLand can do with the material. However they are hardly noticeable, unless your entire listening time is spent using headphones.

But it's great to have the full cues from the film.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... unless your entire listening time is spent using headphones.

I rarely get a chance to listen to anything without headphones. :eek:

Once you get immersed in the music, you won't notice them.

Yeah, that kind of thing usually doesn't bother me much.

I just sometimes wonder how much always using headphones affects the experience.

There are five tracks that were dialed out of the movie that "Danny Elfman's Batman A Film Score Guide" confirmed. That is now also missing on the LLL cd. Cues are titled "Morning After", "Board Meeting", "Vicki Hides", "The Truth",and "...or their Sons". Anyone know the reason for this b/c I was really looking forward to hearing those cues after I read the paperback a few months ago. And hoped that some label(LLL Records) some day would release those cues when they reissue the album. Disappointing.

Hopefully the Burton/Elfman box will include these missing cues.

There are five tracks that were dialed out of the movie that "Danny Elfman's Batman A Film Score Guide" confirmed. That is now also missing on the LLL cd. Cues are titled "Morning After", "Board Meeting", "Vicki Hides", "The Truth",and "...or their Sons". Anyone know the reason for this b/c I was really looking forward to hearing those cues after I read the paperback a few months ago. And hoped that some label(LLL Records) some day would release those cues when they reissue the album. Disappointing.

I'd guess that those cues are included under different titles.

I'd guess that those cues are included under different titles.

Nope. They are not retitled b/c the cd had an unused track called "Joker flies to Gotham" which is also mentioned in the book. So why LLL put that cue but not the other five cues on the expanded album.

I'm Batman!

My copy from Movie Music came today, yay! There's a hairline crack on the back part of the case, eh no worries. I'll in time get some clear jeweled cases to replace it. Other than that looks good. All though I'm still not fond of the art work all that well...

Perhaps the post office in my area is just getting lazy. I was in LA when Spartacus arrived, so I don't know exactly how many days it took to ship. I did receive the second and third pacakges MV sent out for The Edge and Speed 2, the second one (which just included Speed 2) took a pretty long time to arrive, 10 days or something like that. The third arrived quickly though, but it also had tracking.

Nice, sometimes you gotta have a bit more patience. :) After hearing the music from the actual CD itself I must say it is better than the mp3 rip I had but not by much. It seems the original elements may have been crap to begin with. Kind of not surprising considering how old the film is.

They had to pick and hoose between several less than ideal sources for each cue. The album (CD 2) sounds great though.

The Original Album on Disc 2 sounds good because they used Shawn Murphy's original album masters.

They had to pick and hoose between several less than ideal sources for each cue. The album (CD 2) sounds great though.

The Original Album on Disc 2 sounds good because they used Shawn Murphy's original album masters.

"Shawn Murphy" and "sounds good" in the same sentence? He must have had a better ear back then.

I had a listen to this. My mind hasn't changed, it's still ok with some great moments. I hope MV puts out more Batman, though. Can't wait for B&R.

You mean Batman Returns?

I had a listen to this. My mind hasn't changed, it's still ok with some great moments. I hope MV puts out more Batman, though. Can't wait for B&R.

You mean Batman Returns?

Nope, Batman & Robin.

I'm halfway through the first disc, and it is AWESOME! I love some of the quieter moments of underscore for the crime bosses and such. Man, I am really digging this, and not noticing any problems with the sound ('cept for the Main Title, which is a drag, because I really love that amped up percussion.

Just as the last 3 or 4 notes of Descent into Mystery sounded, there was a HUGE thunderclap outside. ;) It was perfectly surreal. But I had to shut it off for fear of damage during the electrical storm.

Other than the clipping in the main title on disc 1, the sound is fine and people are overreacting

Other than the clipping in the main title on disc 1, the sound is fine and people are overreacting

Agreed! The complete score is really wonderful, chock full of little nuances and moments. A very welcome expansion that everyone should own. I'd almost forgotten how truly groundbreaking this score was.

The sound for the score isn't quite up to part with LLL's previously releases. However, since the original elements were most likely crap to begin with I can forgive it but I do enjoy the full score. I've been wanting the full thing for YEARS.

What exactly is the "thing" at the end of "Main Titles alternate 2" supposed to be?

It's just a bit of a bonus deal from the sessions and an alternate for "Photos / Beautiful Dreamer" if I remember right.

I received my copy yesterday. There are some no-so-spectacular sounding cues, but I at least we know why this is. So I'm not complaining. Nice to have some additional material, but I think what I'm going to do is to create my own playlist consisting of material from both versions. I'm glad I own this, but what I'm really waiting for is Batman Returns.

Overall, I still think the original Batman score album as a particularly well-rounded listening expierence. In fact, it might as well be one of the best out there.

Karol

While everyone is jumping the gun on sound issues with Batman I would suggest you also take the time to read a post MV Gerhard made yesterday at FSM.

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=70557&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=8&r=722#bottom

While everyone is jumping the gun on sound issues with Batman I would suggest you also take the time to read a post MV Gerhard made yesterday at FSM.

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=70557&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=8&r=722#bottom

I think most people realize at this point that the perfect sounding release couldn't be achieved with this release. It's more about the fact the sources were not in good shape to begin with. This is upsetting for it is a great music and should have been treated better (while making the film). It diminishes somewhat the pure enjoyability of the album, but has nothing to do with the release as such, really.

Karol

Check out this recent quote from MV about this release:

MV,

When you have time, could you please elaborate a little more on the condition of the elements, what the problem was with the unusable stuff, any idea how and WHY the elements were allowed to deteriorate, just a general more detailed overview of the discoveries you made when you began to assemble everything.

We got what we got (from London all the way to Utah)... the recording was not all that great to begin with, so when you have that to deal with right off the bat along with adequate material to master from then you do the best that you can with the elements you have. If you guys heard some of the other elements we had with all the hiss and bg noise your ears would have bled.

There is not some grand conspiracy that better elements are in our possession and we held on to them for our personal use. After working on the project for nearly 18 months, dealing with every possible person regarding elements (including the late Shirley' Walker's estate) and spending more money on restoring and producing the project than I make in any given year I have to say the project came out better than we all expected.

So to address your questions -- I don't know. I wasn't the recording engineer back in London in 1989, I didn't mic the orchestra, nor did I mix the film. Furthermore, I wasn't the one responsible for storing the elements for the past 20 years so I do not know why the "elements were allowed to deteriorate."

In other words, "Shit Happens."

smile.gif

MV

I'm content with the album; only a few sound issues actually bother me (mainly it's just the clipping). I was actually more disappointed with the crummy art, especially the labels on the CD's.

Another interesting comment from MV in regards to Batman:

As far as I know they will be using our elements for the box set. Does that answer the question? smile

MV

I wonder if that means the expanded Batman will be on the set or only selections.

Batman arrived finally. I think the sound quality is okay; no reason to complain much. What does bother me is that the labels always use the jewel cases with the brittle teeth to hold the CDs and the ridiculously minuscule hinges for the clear plastic tray. I think I have not received a single case that survived mailing undamaged this year. And these clear double cases are relatively difficult to replace. Why??? The more robust ones with black trays fulfill the job just as well.

One of the arms was unfortunately broken on mine also.

Not really a problem for me though as I don't usually remove the CDs again after ripping them anyway.

Batman Theme Reprise :mellow:

Guys remember when ever you get a broken CD case it's not the label's fault it's the fault of the postal service. The post office people really don't handle packages very well if there's nothing written on it that says, "FRAGILE" in big letters.

Plus you can easily buy a bulk of blank 2-CD and single disc cases from various online sources for very cheap. Just buy the bulk and replace the cases it's that simple. No need to bitch about the broken cases.

Guys remember when ever you get a broken CD case it's not the label's fault it's the fault of the postal service. The post office people really don't handle packages very well if there's nothing written on it that says, "FRAGILE" in big letters.

Plus you can easily buy a bulk of blank 2-CD and single disc cases from various online sources for very cheap. Just buy the bulk and replace the cases it's that simple. No need to bitch about the broken cases.

Still, it's strange that the clear ones can't seem to be found in stores, but the black ones can. Is there an exclusive patent on them that I'm not aware of?