Danny Elfman's Batman (2CD Complete)

Jay

Did anybody place an order through PayPal?

I don't think LaLaLand sends a confirmation for Paypal orders. Everytime I've used it with them I never get a confirmation e-mail.

I know MV posted at FSM that they had gotten the first 100 or so out yesterday and the next 100 or so would go this morning. Then they had hundreds of more orders to process.

And people are already starting to gripe about Batman over at FSM.

I swear it's not going to take much more for me to disappear from the internet. At one time film score fandom used to be enjoyable.....

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anybody place an order through PayPal?

I don't think LaLaLand sends a confirmation for Paypal orders. Everytime I've used it with them I never get a confirmation e-mail.

Thanks, that's very promising. I have only bought directly from LLR a handful of times, and while my first purchase was via PayPal last year or so, I don't remember anything about a confirmation email. MV did say that all PayPal orders between 12:00 and 12:08 PDT would get autographed copies, and since the PayPal transaction was recorded at 12:01:18, I'm optimistic. I can stop checking my email every twenty minutes, and rely on waiting for the post man. I did not want to email MV out of courtesy for the immense job he and his crew has at the moment.

Luke, it's not that I don't want to listen to those scores. It's that I never saw those films at all, so the music doesn't register with me and nobody talks about them in the same breath as Williams' standards. Ok, maybe Koray, but he's Koray. Besides, those albums could go out of print at any moment, and I don't want to deprive the real fans of those scores the opportunity to own them.

I swear someone put something in the water over there or pooped in everyone's Cheerios or something. It's gotten ridiculous.

I apologize if this has been mentioned already, but after the final track of disc 2, there is a wild take of Beautiful Dreamer presented with really odd singing over it, complete with Shirley Walker counting down before the orchestra starts playing. This is followed by a music box version of some of the themes, sounds really cool.

Kind of embarrassing to see the bitching over at FSM in the form of direct statements to MV. A cousin who lives in San Diego went to the con and picked up the album for me. Got it in the mail yesterday, listened to it all the way home from the bar exam today. Really fantastic stuff. "Shootout" is turning into one of my favorite cues apparently, I have probably listened to it 10 times or more. Yes, some of the cues are noticeably from different sources, but to me it is a non issue. The most effected to my ears is the film version of "clown attack". Seems to have lots of extra noise that I can't distinguish, sounds similar to paper shuffling, etc. But I'm thrilled to have to different versions of that cue, it was always one of my favorites. It is most definitely one hell of a release, and I doubt anyone here will be dissatisfied in any way. I'm going to go rest up and listen to the rest!

I apologize if this has been mentioned already, but after the final track of disc 2, there is a wild take of Beautiful Dreamer presented with really odd singing over it, complete with Shirley Walker counting down before the orchestra starts playing. This is followed by a music box version of some of the themes, sounds really cool.

hhahaha I just heard that. So fantastic. They really nailed this release out of the park. The waiting for Batman Returns will be even more difficult now.

Personally, I LOVE this release.

I suspect the sound quality issues were down to the various sources, and in the end, there's only so much cleanup that is possible when dealing with this kind of material.

I got shipping confirmation earlier today as well. California-to-Central NY shouldn't be that long. Can't wait. Nothing in the actual score will surprise me because I had a homemade DVD rip that I did years ago, but the sound quality I'm sure will be top-notch. Expanded "Shootout" is one I wanted clean for a long time. Same for the one when he initially rescues *VICKY VALE VICKY VALE VICKY VALE* (Sorry, 'Something Afwful' took old, haha). One of my favorites... can't wait.

Hahaha. I own all the major Williams OSTs. I'm talking about things like Stepmom, Presumed Innocent, Always, Sleepers, Amistad, Rosewood - I don't have those.

Of those, Always and Sleepers are the best, IMO. Always only fault is that it's so short that it needed non-Williams songs as filler. It's very good dreamy, peaceful music that could put you to sleep other than a track or two.

I was so unwilling to be seen buying Stepmom -- and I remember that I wasn't the only one -- that I had my mom buy it for me and smuggle it to me in a plain-looking bag, haha!

I remember years ago when I said those things and got lambasted for saying it! Haha! Williams doesn't have to be genius every note, but at least a few times every score.

All kidding aside, on each of those scores, you can take 2-3 tracks that are very good, and then the rest of the music doesn't do anything for me. But the Williams shelf demands their presence no matter how little or how much I listen to them.

Too bad they didn't do Batman Returns at the same time (well, except my wallet breathes easier)... I usually like to hit those two one after the other. I'll be more surprised with Returns expanded edition because I never got around to making a homemade DVD edition for myself of that one.

I swear someone put something in the water over there or pooped in everyone's Cheerios or something. It's gotten ridiculous.

When I first heard about the release, I did a quick Google search to find out more info and -- this always bugs me -- there were people on some forum out there (don't remember which, maybe a DVD or Blu-ray forum) bitching that it was actually getting an expanded treatment! Never understood people who would want access to less, not more. How can you go wrong with album, film, and alternates on one release? If you don't like it, pick up the original on eBay for a couple bucks and let people enjoy a complete release.

PS - Still hoping someday we'll get clean album mixes of the original Star Wars Trilogy LP albums along with remastered compete editions.

When I first heard about the release, I did a quick Google search to find out more info and -- this always bugs me -- there were people on some forum out there (don't remember which, maybe a DVD or Blu-ray forum) bitching that it was actually getting an expanded treatment! Never understood people who would want access to less, not more. How can you go wrong with album, film, and alternates on one release? If you don't like it, pick up the original on eBay for a couple bucks and let people enjoy a complete release.

They're either OST purists, and there seem to be a lot of those posting around; or they are clueless about complete archival assemblies of film music and can't comprehend the market for them. Probably a bit of both.

There are even people who militantly believe that music should not be heard outside the context of the film. They'd fit in forums like this quite nicely.

Let's be fair here, there was an IMHO legitimate complaint about the trebled-up sound quality, which i agree with.

The same complaints were levelled against the INDY boxset and, in that case, ROTLA was especially suspect. If you are serving anal soundtrack fans, you get what you deserve if you muck it up. :D

Now then, has anyone got any further reviews of this release, perhaps? Much interesting unreleased music?

Well, it stays all in the same general mold, so if you like the original release...

It's an archivist's dream, all there is seems to be on it. The sound issue is really up to the eye of the beholder. If you are an audiophile, it can be a real bugger. On this release, you have different sources and all seem trebled to some degree (meaning that especially the brass seems unnaturally forced and sometimes high-pitched).

My final verdict would be that, for me, this release comes as unnecessary because i just got it for the better sound, which it lacks to my ears, while the released music was quite sufficient to me, quantity-wise.

While the sound issue is a bit of a problem, I for one am very glad that this has gotten the release it deserves.

I'm wondering though if the original elements sounded like that or not...

Ordered as well, together with Krull and Batman: The Movie.

I couldn't resist, what with the forthcoming Elfman/Burton box, I'm listening to a lot of Elfman these days.

It only sold out at Varese, its mothership label. It's still available at other locations, like SAE and MovieMusic. In other words...

He's It's not really gone, so long as remember him look elsewhere.

i received batman today I listen to the first disc so far and I don't know what tape hiss some people are complaining about my cd has none at all. the booklet was very informative I never knew Michael Jackson was supposed to write songs for the film I'm kind of glad he dropped out I love the prince songs in the film.

Finally had a chance to listen to Disc 1 (been a crazy week!). I did notice a bit more "hiss" in some sections, but nothing that makes it unlistenable by any means. Overall there weren't a whole lot of amazing-gotta-have-it sections missing from the original soundtrack, but it's good to have a bunch more music included. One moment that I always liked is about 3 minutes into "Shootout", I think the part in the film where Batman jumps down and confronts Napier, a nice brief bold statement, I've always liked that bit and glad it's available now. Extended "Batwing" sections are good to have too. I have to confess I prefer the album version of "Descent into Mystery", the film version that dials down the choir significantly is considerably less "kick-ass" than the album version. Overall the sound quality is much, much better than the original release. Glad I ordered it!

I think most of us do prefer the album version of "Decent Into Mystery" than the film. I too prefer the album version as I like hearing the prominent choir in that version more.

Oh if you notice on the album version of "Roof Fight" (on disc 2), I think it's an alternate version of the cue, because at one point before Batman's theme plays at the end there's a piano that comes in that is not in the film version.

I think most of us do prefer the album version of "Decent Into Mystery" than the film. I too prefer the album version as I like hearing the prominent choir in that version more.

Oh if you notice on the album version of "Roof Fight" (on disc 2), I think it's an alternate version of the cue, because at one point before Batman's theme plays at the end there's a piano that comes in that is not in the film version.

Yep, noticed that. Can't recall exactly how the score plays out in the film at that point, though.

If it's on the LLR album, doesn't that make it the album version, too?

:thumbup: Technically, I suppose. yes. Perhaps we should be specifying "original album version" or "non-film version"...

The cue "Roof Fight" in the film does play exactly how it does in the film on Disc 1. I watched the movie last night.

When I get my physical copy this week from Movie Music I think I'll be putting "News Theme" and "Joker's Commercial" in their right spot for my iPod.

Yup - as much as I wish that Intrada hadn't placed Silvestri's source cues in the flow of the score - and instead had relegated them to bonus tracks - I also wish that LLL had placed News theme and Joker's Commercial (and Joker's Muzak) into the flow of the score.

According to the liner notes a slightly different take was used with an additional piano line vaulting over some of the action.

BTW, does anybody know why the Sinfonia of London isn't credited in the booklet?

BTW, does anybody know why the Sinfonia of London isn't credited in the booklet?

I blame Neil. :thumbup:

I wondered that myself, I was expecting 2 or 3 pages of orchestra/choir members, since I'm so used to that lately.

Of course not. You could order it at moviemusic.com, screenarchives.com, intrada.com, buysoundtrax, hell it'll even be on amazon.com eventually through SAE's store page there

I blame Neil. :thumbup:

I wondered that myself, I was expecting 2 or 3 pages of orchestra/choir members, since I'm so used to that lately.

The listing of musicians appears to be an AFM-specific requirement. It's very rare to see a similar courtesy being afforded to London-based orchestras.

I blame Neil. :eek:

The listing of musicians appears to be an AFM-specific requirement. It's very rare to see a similar courtesy being afforded to London-based orchestras.

Probably true. Just kinda felt odd since most of the CDs I've purchased recently have listed the musicians.

If memory serves, didn't the original vinyl release of Empire Strikes Back list the LSO musicians? Man, that was an awesome LP presentation, those huge pictures in the booklet were so cool at the time. And I can remember reading the list of musicians and thinking maybe I could be one of them someday. Alas, I never got the chance to be on a Star Wars soundtrack... *sigh* I think I still have that album downstairs somewhere...