What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Meh...

Was just playing it while studying today. And I just couldn't ignore Newman's lovely harmonic voicings and writing. I still stand by the fact that none of this is new, but it remains quite enjoyable.

2005 = 8 years after The Lost World

"Groundbreaking" is a strong word. How many "groundbreaking" scores come along anyway?

But Williams has been treading new musical territory for quite a while after the 90s. A.I., Memoirs of a Geisha and Munich are all examples that come to mind. I do agree that after 2005, Williams dared much less in his film music.

Scores like Bridge of Spies, as nice as it is, displays Newman's stylistic stagnancy. I'm not looking for "groundbreaking" scores. But I do appreciate works where the composer challenges and pushes away from their own stylistic comfort zone.

But Williams has been treading new musical territory for quite a while after the 90s. A.I., Memoirs of a Geisha and Munich are all examples that come to mind. I do agree that after 2005, Williams dared much less in his film music.

We can be thankful he did, after listening to his stagnating years, especially 1992, it seemed he was content beating his old warhorses again and again but whatever happened between 1995 and 2005, it sure brought him out of the wake-comatose John-Barry phase of his career.

I don't mean to be spiteful... but... what is it that you find so "disappointingly conventional" about it? Does it sound like any other John Williams score? If yes, then what would it be?

Karol

It is in part harsh, dissonant and percussive-driven, rather unusual for this kind of upscale Oscar stuff. The best material happens in the first half. It gets a bit more drama-polished afterwards (after The Rooftops Of The Hanamachi) but still. It's no BOOK THIEF!

It is in part harsh, dissonant and percussive-driven, rather unusual for this kind of upscale Oscar stuff. The best material happens in the first half. It gets a bit more drama-polished afterwards (after The Rooftops Of The Hanamachi) but still. It's no BOOK THIEF!

Ah The Book Thief. Soothing balm of familiar Williamsian ambrosia in these dark times.

There are mountains to climb...and yet you remain sitting in this hole in the ground of yours!

Like a hobbit!

Far over the Misty Mountains cold...

KK. What was new for JW about Memoirs? Apart from some attempts at orientation instrumentation?

I like the score, but it was disappointingly conventional for JW.

I think the score represents the peak of post -00s minimalist phase. The running ostinati, the shifting harmonies...it's the closest John Williams got to John Adams in that sense. And there's plenty of colour, both in ethnic instrumentation, and orchestration. For you non-believers, I suggest you check out the concert suite of Memoirs, which remains the superior version of the work. Certainly not conventional Williams drama, though it has signs of that.

Karaoke & Cold Lazarus by Christopher Gunning: Great stuff as usual from Gunning who this time has LSO at his disposal. Two wildly different scores for two linked mini-series where the first is largely synthetic and written for a small ensemble and saxophone and the second is big and full of gothic sci-fi writing for a large orchestra. Although Gunning has LSO to work with he doesn't go full steam all the time but builds a deliberate musical arc throughout which also doesn't step over the lines and overpower the mini-series but builds layers of gothically chilling but melodic and dramatic moods that culminate in the spectacular full orchestra finale.

As always the composer prefers to use themes to delineate the storythreads and creates a grand romantic sci-fi main theme with Barry-esque broad melodic line and a heart breakingly touching love theme and addresses the sci-fi aspects of re-animating a frozen head and memories from the past with resounding fateful chord progressions that rise like the ominous stormy sea. There is also witty pompous mock-triumphant music for the glorious future which is anything but and a few terrific barnstorming action setpieces that show inkling of what this guy would be capable of if set loose on a big budget action/adventure film. I think only the TV sized production held Gunning back from creating a truly thunderous sci-fi epic with this one but as it is Cold Lazarus especially remains as one of his top creations.

Thomas Newman - Bridge of Spies

Meh. There's some nice stuff at the beginning and end, but mostly this is boring. Disappointing for my first Coolman CD....

Alan Silvestri - Back To The Future Part III (Varese Deluxe Edition)

Gotta love Spotify. I've listened to to this a bunch of times now - its a great score. While I love all 3, BTTF3 gets some much needed new themes, in terms of the Clara Love Theme and the Old West theme. And the action music isn't directly reminiscent of the previous film like was done with II. The new program is excellent, flows very nicely. The alternates are interesting. The source music is not something I'll listen to that often. Great work all around, can't wait to hear the new Part 2

John Debney & the Royal Scottish National Orchestra - The Back To The Future Trilogy

:pukeface:

This is terrible. The performances all around are too slow and awkward. In Part 1 they recorded the older alternate sometime instead of the revised cues. And the track selection is terrible. The suite from Part 1 is mostly nice, especially since this pre-dates the Intrada CD, but its extremely action-heavy, so you miss some of the nice quiet and suspense moments. Then they go and repeat the same problem with part 2! We get another long run-through of the main theme, and jump to more main theme variations from the end of the score. Then part 3 at least offers us the Clara theme, but ends with the End Credits which repeats a huge swath of the previous track, not to mention the Old West theme from a few tracks ago. And then The Ride's music is just a rehash of all the same stuff again.

A compilation could have been made that sums up all the various facets of the scores in one single program for sure, but this isn't it.

Masters of the Universe (only known occurrence of the Contigasm)

So much promise.

Like David Arnold...all those potential great scores after Stargate and ID4...lost to time...like tears in the rain.

Edge of Darkness (Shore) - Honestly, I love this score more and more with every listen. It's got everything - heart-rending beauty ("Emma"), heart-pounding aleatoric action sequences ("Hit and Run"), and uneasy tension that manages to seem more detailed every time I hear it ("Diogenes"). One of Shore's best.

"Music from the Edge" (Corigliano) - How many films can say they inspired two scores this good? While I have to say I like Shore's more (while Corigliano's score was supposedly rejected because they went a more "action" route, I think Shore's emotional setpieces fit the film better than Corigliano's), Corigliano's is still one of the best of 2010, and only surpassed in his film work by Altered States.

Wind Chill (Mansell) – Where to begin? This might be the canonical example of an album that's simply too long, which, as an album already under an hour's length, means the end product is pretty un-inspiring. Although I generally enjoy Mansell's texturing (at his best, he's one of my favorite composers), almost everything between tracks 2 and 18 could be removed without any real loss to the album. By the time the score really picks up, it's almost over. "Climbing the Phone Pole" is the only real highlight on the disc, and while I imagine it's effective underscore in the film, only a handful of tracks actually make for a decent listening experience, and on the whole I'd say it's one of Clint Mansell's weaker efforts.

The Man Who Collected Food (Alcheh) – I have a confession: I hate horror movies, but I love horror movie music. I also have a disclaimer: this isn't really horror movie music (except for a couple tracks): it's something far greater. Utilizing gorgeous baroque strings, the score plays up the presumed black comedy of the film (one which I have no intention of seeing) and becomes something that revels in its own absurdity to the point of magnificence.

The Last Witch Hunter (Jablonsky) - Is it wrong that I actually really enjoyed this? It's the vintage "big Zimmer sound," and I don't mean by that the "recent big Zimmer sound." It's like something out of a 90s Zimmer score, and the best thing from an RCP lackey in quite some time. On the other hand, hey producers! Yeah, you! You had Nico Muhly around to do the trailer music, but turned to Jablonsky for the actual score? I think you got the order wrong, but hey, bad process can still sometimes yield good results.

Edge of Darkness (Shore) - Honestly, I love this score more and more with every listen. It's got everything - heart-rending beauty ("Emma"), heart-pounding aleatoric action sequences ("Hit and Run"), and uneasy tension that manages to seem more detailed every time I hear it ("Diogenes"). One of Shore's best.

"Music from the Edge" (Corigliano) - How many films can say they inspired two scores this good? While I have to say I like Shore's more (while Corigliano's score was supposedly rejected because they went a more "action" route, I think Shore's emotional setpieces fit the film better than Corigliano's), Corigliano's is still one of the best of 2010, and only surpassed in his film work by Altered States.

I on the other hand prefer Corigliano's score over Shore's because it is more direct and a bit less tied to the film convention (which is why it probably got canned in the first place). It makes for a great musical narrative on disc, to me more poignant than Shore's more brooding work which undoubtedly fits the film better than e.g. the operatic soprano soloist finale of Corigliano's work. But I do like both scores a lot.

They're both great. But Corigliano's is definitely the superior work.

I'd like to see the film, if only to see what exactly all those ballsy Shore moments are underscoring:

I count Tomorrow Never Dies and Godzilla among his greats. But after that, dafuq?

Yes Inky, Tomorrow Never Dies is great. Have you heard it?

I count Tomorrow Never Dies and Godzilla among his greats. But after that, dafuq?

Yes Inky, Tomorrow Never Dies is great. Have you heard it?

Not a huge fan of James Bond scores but I'll check it out.

At the time it came out, it was David Arnold's big third score to me after Stargate and ID4. I was not a Bond fan (I had seen Goldeneye I think) and had never heard another Bond score in my life. I don't even still think of it as a Bond score, I think of it as a David Arnold score. And its totally ace! The first track "White Knight" will be all you need to know if you'll like it.

Michael Giacchino - Tomorrowland

After listening to some disappointing music this week, I needed some comfort food, so chose this. I think this is now my certain favorite of the 2015 Giacchino output. It just has so many great themes, and the whole album plays through so many variations of them. The album is very well assembled. it's long, but doesn't feel it. It basically coveres all the highlights of the score, tells a whole story. The album has a great narrative. Now I studied the unreleased music heard in the film, and there is some great unreleased stuff, fore sure! (Especially Casey's second NASA infiltration). But mostly it doesn't affect the narrative, no key development of the themes are missing. So yea, great score, great album, and a future complete score leak would be a nice bonus for sure, but its not essential.

Michael Giacchino - Jurassic World

I listened to this next. It's probably the 2015 Giacchino score I've listened to the least. Here's my thoughts on it - its a good score, with good themes. I love the Hoskins Theme and Owen's Raptor Squad themes, and the maiin/family theme and Indominous themes are good too. But the album is poorly assembled. Its the opposite of the Tomorrowland album - its short (ish), but FEELS long. That's because the right highlights weren't chosen - there's tons of great important thematic development not included, and lot of fairly dry music is included instead. Really, removing the source music at the end and the suite, you're left with only 57 minutes of narrative music, which not only isn't enough time to cover it all, but since they chose the wrong highlights its even worse. So though I think Tomorrowland is a better score, a leak of the complete sessions to this is much more important. Here's hoping both leak soon!

Michael Giacchino - Inside Out

This used to be my favorite of his 2015 output, but Tomorrowland has passed it now. I still love this score - its great, and the album is well assembled. I mean, its essentially the complete score in chrono order, but since every cue is so good, it doesn't feel too long, or that any time is wasted. The score has a lot of great ideas, and Giacchino gets to play well with all of them. I already want to see the film again - it helps that its easily the best of the films that Giacchino scored this year, but I loved the music so much more once I saw the film to see what it represents. I never listen to the Lava song at the end of the CD.

Michael Giacchino - Jupiter Ascending

You know what I realized? All the highlights of this score are on disc 1! Disc 1 is full of great tracks - the suite, I Hate My Life, Titus Clipper, Shadow Chase, The Abrasax Family Tree, etc. By comparison Disc 2 only really has Helluva Chase and Commitment as highlights, and even then its only the second half of Commitment. So its pretty lopsided. The first half of the score is great, the second tried my patience a bit. The best cue remains the film version of I Hate My Life, dunno why Giacchino wouldn't have included that one!

John Debney & the Royal Scottish National Orchestra - The Back To The Future Trilogy

:pukeface:

This is terrible. The performances all around are too slow and awkward. In Part 1 they recorded the older alternate sometime instead of the revised cues. And the track selection is terrible. The suite from Part 1 is mostly nice, especially since this pre-dates the Intrada CD, but its extremely action-heavy, so you miss some of the nice quiet and suspense moments. Then they go and repeat the same problem with part 2! We get another long run-through of the main theme, and jump to more main theme variations from the end of the score. Then part 3 at least offers us the Clara theme, but ends with the End Credits which repeats a huge swath of the previous track, not to mention the Old West theme from a few tracks ago. And then The Ride's music is just a rehash of all the same stuff again.

A compilation could have been made that sums up all the various facets of the scores in one single program for sure, but this isn't it.

The alternate (concert version?) of Western Union is nice though.