What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

10 minutes ago, Bespin said:

.... return of the thumb!

Β 

#JohnWilliams

πŸ‘§πŸ“šπŸ‘£πŸŒŒπŸΏπŸ‘‘

Β 

20230712_101141.jpg

His best score of the past decade, in my opinion, of course.Β 

1 hour ago, JTW said:

Do you think Elfman should’ve gotten the Oscar for it?

Β 

Β 

The more I listen to X-MEN, the more I miss Michael Kamen. This is a sensational score. Has all the K-Men (hehe) touch and some clever electric elements, and several bombastic and badass cues. I LOVE the ethereal β€œThe Mutant School”. And the final confrontation between Magneto, Logan and Rogue is some of the best action music I’ve ever heard. I wish we’d gotten another X-Men score by Kamen. He left us way too soon.

IMG_9624.jpeg

Β 

A seriously underrated score. And for that matter, film.

Β 

And yes, I miss Kamen too.

2 hours ago, Tallguy said:

A seriously underrated score. And for that matter, film.

I don't think I have heard it. (except in the film, ages ago)

I will follow your recommendation and check it out!

ab67616d0000b273952973c7ff568b3abb4fcd4d

Β 

This videogame score from 2000 is something to get lost in, in a positive sense. Part ethereal and bittersweet, part experimental, always eclectic -- typical of the late Japanese master. He was tapping into what was happening on the electronic scene at the time here, but in his own unique way. One of my top 10 favs of his.

7 minutes ago, thestat said:

Silvestri's Judge Dredd .

Β 

Love many moments in this score!

And I love the film too (apart from the comic sidekick).

I wish it was released on 4k.

21 minutes ago, thestat said:

Patrick Doyle's Indochine - a fantastic, massive orchestral score, great themes. fantastic orchestration:

Β 

Love this score too and the film!

Β 

Β 

October_Sky_SK61696.jpg

Β 

One of the better scores by Isham, for strings mainly.

The thing is, I cannot pinpoint any particular style with this composer. Can any?

image.jpeg

Β 

Decent and well written, but still somewhat generic, like a by-the-numbers Horner fantasy score. According to Wikipedia, this movie came before The Matrix, which explains why it's somewhat anonymous.

Β 

I love Davis' Matrix scores and like House on the Haunted Hill and JP3. Are there other scores from him aside from those that you'd recommend?

6 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Are there other scores from him aside from those that you'd recommend?

I love his Beauty and the Beast TV series scores!

It's in this cd along with Hyperspace which I don't remember if I have listened to.

HyperSpace_PCD120.jpg

9 hours ago, filmmusic said:

I don't think I have heard it. (except in the film, ages ago)

I will follow your recommendation and check it out!

You mean my recommendation? :)

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

It's curious how Maurice Jarre of Lawrence and Zhivago, turned to synth scores in the 80s.

His son is Jean-Michel Jarre… 

7 hours ago, filmmusic said:

The thing is, I cannot pinpoint any particular style with this composer. Can any?

Β 

There are some recurring features. As a trumpeter and jazzer, those elements are obviously prevalent in many of his scores. There's also the whole "New Age" aspect (and his long association with the Windham Hill label). But he can write orchestral scores too, like the best of 'em. He's simply a very chameleon-like composer, a quality I didn't recognize properly in my formative years.

Β 

6 hours ago, filmmusic said:

It's curious how Maurice Jarre of Lawrence and Zhivago, turned to synth scores in the 80s.

Β 

It actually has little to do with his son Jean Michel, as previously alluded to. Although they reconciled in the end, they weren't really on speaking terms for many, many years, including the 80s. Maurice had left the family for Hollywood when JM was a kid, and it took a long time before he forgave him for that. Some of this is recounted in the brilliant "Making the Steamroller Fly" documentary featured on JMJ's Moscow DVD. But of course, Jarre sr. must obviously have been aware of his son's success, so I wouldn't be surprised if some of those synth excursions in the 80s (which range from terrible to the really good, like JACOB'S LADDER) in some way or form was influenced by what he picked up from his son.

Β 

Annyways, now playing:

Β 

ab67616d0000b2734f112905d64fa121bbb300eb

Β 

Just a bit of morning Morricone.

8 hours ago, Edmilson said:

image.jpeg

Β 

Decent and well written, but still somewhat generic, like a by-the-numbers Horner fantasy score. According to Wikipedia, this movie came before The Matrix, which explains why it's somewhat anonymous.

Β 

I love Davis' Matrix scores and like House on the Haunted Hill and JP3. Are there other scores from him aside from those that you'd recommend?

Β 

I would certainly recommend this one:

Β 

Β 

Β 

:music:Β Obsession by Bernard Herrmann. Listening to the original album recording, as presented on the recent Phase 4 set. In genuinely feel this is one of Herrmann's finest achievements and the 40-minute album is terrific. I also enjoy both the Music Box and Tadlow albums and it must be said the music as heard in the film is pure magic. Herrmann wrote quite a lot of music for thrillers like this, this is one of the few that really reaches those kind of dramatic heights, elevating the silly story into truly mythic proportions. While the plot itself is really silly, the music makes you think you are experiencing a truly profound Greek tragedy. And, as such, it is not quite unlike composer's magnum opus Vertigo.

Β 

Karol

Cool-Hand_Luke_Aleph022.jpg

Β 

I am not familiar with Schifrin. I have listened only to a few soundtracks, and I don't remember much, apart from the theme to Amityville Horror.

This was cool!Β :D

Can anyone recommend anything else from him?

(apart from Bullitt, Enter the Dragon, THX 1138 and the 2 I mentioned)

30 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I am not familiar with Schifrin. I have listened only to a few soundtracks, and I don't remember much, apart from the theme to Amityville Horror.

(apart from Bullitt, Enter the Dragon, THX 1138 and the 2 I mentioned)

Β 

MANNIX is my alltime favourite of him. And -- contrary to most others' opinion -- NOT the original album from 1968, but the new, rerecorded one from 1999. Both are good, but the latter takes the cake for me, due to its lush sound.

Β 

A couple of other fine compilations/rerecordings include THERE'S A WHOLE LALO SCHIFRIN GOIN' ON and the JEAN MICHEL BERNARD PLAYS LALO SCHIFRIN.

Β 

Also, GONE WITH THE WAVE is gorgeous; coupled with Williams' DIAMOND HEAD on FSM, so presumably you already own this. I'm sure you're familiar with MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE too, even if you didn't mention it in your post.

Β 

Other favs include RUSH HOUR, COOGAN'S BLUFF, SOL MADRID, THE FOUR MUSKETEERS and THE OSTERMAN WEEKEND.

21 minutes ago, Thor said:

Also, GONE WITH THE WAVE is gorgeous; coupled with Williams' DIAMOND HEAD on FSM, so presumably you already own this.

Yes, I own it, but again I don't remember anything. I am not sure if I have played it to tell you the truth. hehe

Just now, filmmusic said:

Yes, I own it, but again I don't remember anything. I am not sure if I have played it to tell you the truth. hehe

Β 

Give it a go! It's one of those albums that are pretty much perfect background music for a loungey cocktail party.

1 minute ago, Thor said:

Β 

Give it a go! It's one of those albums that are pretty much perfect background music for a loungey cocktail party.

Have you listened to Schifrin'sΒ Planet of the Apes? Or you do not recommend it?

9 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Have you listened to Schifrin'sΒ Planet of the Apes? Or you do not recommend it?

Β 

Yes, I sampled it ages ago, when FSM did their POTA releases. Didn't do much for me, even though I have a very nostalgic connection the series -- moreso than the films -- as it aired on Super Channel in the 80s.

Β 

Β 

Is that a crack in the case, I see?

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

If it's non-film stuff that you want, check out his many jazz albums.

I like BLACK WIDOW, and TOWERING TOCCATA.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

MANNIX is my alltime favourite of him. And -- contrary to most others' opinion -- NOT the original album from 1968, but the new, rerecorded one from 1999.

Β 

Exactly my main recommendation as well.

Β 

There's some cool stuff on the FSM box as well (which I expect is very hard to find these days), including The Cincinnati KidΒ and something else that sounds a lot likeΒ JawsΒ (but came before that).

Β 

TheΒ Dirty Harry scores are fun as well.

Ok, I'm just listening now:

Mannix_Aleph014.jpg

Β 

It's quite good to pass your leisure time, but the problem I have with such music is that it doesn't feel like film music.

It's like source cues and I'm more into the other kind of film music.

One reason that Cinderella Liberty hasn't been played much in this household!

It's quite good to pass your leisure time, but the problem I have with such music is that it doesn't feel like film music.

It's like source cues and I'm more into the other kind of film music.

One reason that Cinderella Liberty hasn't been played much in this household!

Β 

We try and we try, but we can't seem to find something you like! ;)Β In all seriousness, I dig the fact that you explore these things. Keep it up!

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Β 

We try and we try, but we can't seem to find something you like! ;)Β In all seriousness, I dig the fact that you explore these things. Keep it up!

Well, you know by now what I like.. hehe

And it's not that I didn't like it! It's just that it plays more like lounge music than film music. Same thing with most scores by Mancini. (and I love many of those)

Fair enough.

Β 

NS00Nzk3LmpwZWc.jpeg

Β 

He, he....I inspired myself to play this again by recommending it to filmmusic above. Sweet chill! Perfect for what looks to be a great, sunny summer day in the Norwegian capital.

12 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Well, you know by now what I like.. hehe

And it's not that I didn't like it! It's just that it plays more like lounge music than film music. Same thing with most scores by Mancini. (and I love many of those)

I said it somewhere else. The term film music is misleading as a name for a musical genre as film music can be almost any kind of musical genre.

So you @filmmusicΒ should probably rather define what genres you are looking for.

Anyway, from previous discussions and based on your recommendations and reactions on scores, I think, we both have a big overlab on what kind of movie soundtracks we like. You have got good taste as far as I am concerned. :)Β (Y)

Β 

NC5qcGVn.jpeg

Β 

EASILY the best film score of 2002. Haunting, introspective. I remember when it came out, I was gobsmacked and impressed by what Gerrard could do on her own as a film composer, not just a singer for other composers. (Look away, filmmusic, this is not for you!).

13 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Haven't heard it, but I doubt it's better than The Hours.

Β 

Oodles more rewarding. What should be more shocking to film score fans is that it also beats out LOTR 2, HARRY POTTER 2, ATTACK OF THE CLONES, MINORITY REPORT, SIGNS, THE TIME MACHINE, SPIDER-MAN, MIB 2, THE BOURNE IDENTITY, ROAD TO PERDITION, FRIDA, FAR FROM HEAVEN, CATCH ME IF YOU CAN etc. etc. All superb scores, but not as good as WHALE RIDER, IMO. Outrageous, innit?