What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Very cool, well I will definitely be picking it up soon to give it a nice listen. And yeah somehow I didn't realize it until reading your post but there certainly are some ALIENS-ish moments in his Star Treks. Oh well, its still a sound of James Horner that I very much love.

ALIENS was also partially ripped off from TREK III, which in turn was partially ripped off from TREK II, which in turn is partiall ripped off from WOLFEN and BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS.

I find WOLFEN not only fascinating but a great score on its own, haunting and vibrant, and as much as I agree on the base comment I feel it does the score a disservice to just concentrate on that factor alone.

Yes it is true there is other material to be discovered in Wolfen but the central motif so prominent in the score has never been a strong favourite, not even in Aliens. I guess this a turn-off for the score as a whole for me. I will give it a few more spins though. Perhaps it will grow on me.

It's not everyone's cup of tea, I suppose. I'm loving it.

Karol

I have really no interest in hearing Batman Forever. I didn't really care for Batman Returns and I did listen to the whole thing (before I gave it to a fellow JWFANer).

To ME (me alone) the score for Batman Returns seems flat in comparison to the first score that Elfman did. It just didn't have the same musical feel as the previous one did, if that makes sense. It just seemed a bit too comical in a lot of cues.

The thing is I like both Elfman scores because they're so different to each other. Batman Returns is hardly even a superhero music, which is why many people don't like it. Feels more like a twisted take on Edward Scissorhands. Wait, is that even possible? :P

Back to Goldenthal (which I listen to regularly), you probably won't be convinced to it as it is even more obnoxiously carnivalesque than the previous one. But I'm sure you'd like some more heroic and brooding passages. He really nails Batman character in those.

Karol

Batman Returns is, like Edwards Scissorhands and Nightmare Before Christmas - extremely ELFMAN. It's like with those 3 films, Elfman and Burton were able to just bo completely themselves and say exactly what they wanted to say. Batman is much more accessible, the film and the score.

I love it all!

The Yo-Yo Ma Plays the Music of Ennio Morricone CD from whence the pieces on those two videos come is just fantastic, truly exceptional. Yo-Yo Ma's ability to project such emotion and tiny nuances with his playing and the sheer connection he makes with his audience (even though this is a recording) and Morricone's music is a stunning combination. :)

Usual Suspects by John Ottman

The Happening by James Newton Howard

Black Dahlia by Mark Isham

The Knowing by Marco Beltrami

The Shadow by Jerry Goldsmith

The Uninvited - Christopher Young

I don't how Young can consistently come up with these wonderfully thematic and varied horror scores time and time again. The theme is so gorgeous, especially with glass harmonica and vocal.

Jerry Goldsmith - Cain's Hundred.

-I like listening to old TV scores. This was my first time to hear this one and while I thought it had many fun moments, nothing that really stood out to me.

Jerry Goldsmith - Capricorn One

-First time hearing this too, I really enjoyed it! I like the bombastic parts and the trombones sounded pretty awesome. I like the gentler theme that makes a few appearances and the jazz source cue (Kay's Theme). This score is now somewhere near the top of my favorite Jerry scores.

-First time hearing this too, I really enjoyed it! I like the bombastic parts and the trombones sounded pretty awesome. I like the gentler theme that makes a few appearances and the jazz source cue (Kay's Theme). This score is now somewhere near the top of my favorite Jerry scores.

I bought the album recently and was really impressed. It is definitely a powerhouse that reminded me how well suspence and action music was written in the past and how Goldsmith used so effectively the sparse textures and ghostly melodies to create uneasy atmosphere and gets your blood pumping with off-kilter rhythmic patterns and forceful brass.

I bought the album recently and was really impressed. It is definitely a powerhouse that reminded me how well suspence and action music was written in the past and how Goldsmith used so effectively the sparse textures and ghostly melodies to create uneasy atmosphere and gets your blood pumping with off-kilter rhythmic patterns and forceful brass.

It's one of the more thunderous orchestrations to came out from Jerry Goldsmith. Ranks up there with Total Recall and The Wind and The Lion in terms of how powerful the percussion are. Have you tried listening to Lionheart?

It's one of the more thunderous orchestrations to came out from Jerry Goldsmith. Ranks up there with Total Recall and The Wind and The Lion in terms of how powerful the percussion are. Have you tried listening to Lionheart?

Yes all those scores are some of Goldsmith's best material in my opinion. Lionheart is such a tremendous score and the finale, King Richard, is definitely one of the most spirited and unabashedly victorious marches he has ever composed.

But the music lacks the nonstop inventiveness and breathtaking artistry that Reznor brings to the table.

Yes all those scores are some of Goldsmith's best material in my opinion. Lionheart is such a tremendous score and the finale, King Richard, is definitely one of the most spirited and unabashedly victorious marches he has ever composed.

Yeah, King Richard has some of my most favorite fanfare in movies. I wish Goldsmith made a concert suite with Lionheart. That would have been awesome.

But the music lacks the nonstop inventiveness and breathtaking artistry that Reznor brings to the table.

Indeed. And of course all those brassy fanfares and percussion and orchestra in general are so predictable, tired and old fashioned. Non-stop inventiveness and Reznor belong in a same sentence. Not Goldsmith. Only after you have tortured the sound of an acoustic instrument into synthetic drivel barely recognizable as the original sound you are considered non-stop inventive and artistic.

Indeed. And of course all those brassy fanfares and percussion and orchestra in general are so predictable, tired and old fashioned. Non-stop inventiveness and Reznor belong in a same sentence. Not Goldsmith.

Oh please. Reznor deserves everything he has to be nominated. Goldsmith? If there's fairness in the world, he wouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentences as Oscar. (Well he has every right, since he composed the Fanfare For Oscar) but still....

The Score by Howard Shore: Rather cool heist score with constant percussive forward motion. Jazzy and urbane with a small jazz combo playing alongside what sounds like a chamber orchestra sized ensemble this is an interesting entry that shows the composer's versatility. Relying mainly on the aforementioned rhythm there is very little strong melodic thematic ideas running through the music but a couple of motifs do appear alongside the ever present trademark rising chords of doom which I think is in nearly every Howard Shore score to date.

The Ninth Gate by Wojchiech Kilar: One of the few scores I have heard from the composer since he has done relatively few bigger Hollywood productions and his output from his native films is not very easy to come by. But this score exhibits some of the trademarks present in Portrait of a Lady and Dracula. Kilar builds his ideas through repetition, a kind of minimalism and takes a while to get to the point but this score provides a mix of film noirish and dapper oddly humorous urbane elements (Corso's Theme) mixed with vibrant horror music. The Vocalise that opens closes the album remains a highlight but the Dracula styled chanting choir and string music that is repeated throughout remains with you most strongly afterwards. Korean soprano Sumi Jo's eerie contributions add a touch of classy feel to the supernatural in this music.

I don't how Young can consistently come up with these wonderfully thematic and varied horror scores time and time again. The theme is so gorgeous, especially with glass harmonica and vocal.

It is a rather haunting theme. I wouldn't really call this a horror film in the traditional sense, more of a psychological film. His score for The Grudge shows a more modern and subdued approach to newer horror films, while Drag Me To Hell is an aural assault harkening back to Hellbound.

I've got Harry Potter going right now. It's been a little while. Man, the first half hour of this score kicks supreme ass. I'm reminded why I fell in love with this thing when I first saw the movie. Just from the opening seconds with the strings and horns playing Hedwig's Theme under the Warner Brothers logo, it was clear this was destined to become a Williams classic.

I'm up to the arrival at the school with that great (what I call) Hogwarts processional motif. Okay, here's the sorting hat scene. You know that little one-off melody when Ron is sorted? What the hell? For any other composer, this could be a great theme to carry an entire score. For Williams, it's a brief passage for a small moment where a character approaches a chair. In the words of Kevin McCallister in Home Alone 2 when he himself seemed to become conscious of JW's score, this is great.

I finally caved and bought The Artist Special Edition with and additional DVD containing a Making Of and recording session footage.

I liked what I heard so far.

Reznor. Trent. Tattoo.

Hence your last name ...?

;)

I didn't listen to the score per se, but I've watched the film two weeks or so ago, and found it to be interesting. Not real horror, but the finale was nice.

The Ring/The Ring Two - Zimmer/Lohner/Tillman

Zimmer's sensibilities work beautifully here, and fit the mood both films were striving for. It's a shame the glorious End Credits suite from the first film isn't included, but the minimalism is gorgeous. The ominous cello line segueing from the "lost" piano motif is just unsettling.

This is how Fincher should've scored Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

Another wave of Jerry Goldsmith I listened through in the past few days:

Chain Reaction was a good listen, first time.

Chinatown, also a first listen for me. I'd heard the theme before, but never listened through...it's a strange one, some interesting 20th century techniques going on. Love the theme though!

The Edge - Expanded - My first time hearing this as well, I liked this one a lot!! Really nice main theme, some exciting action music, made me want to play the horn parts :)

First Blood - Complete Score - Yay, I've always liked the OST and now I love it even more in complete form. What a fun score with a great main theme, some really tense moments of scoring, and really fun action music :) Also very interesting that I hear some harmonies (some unique dissonances) that remind me of some of ALIEN. I'm trying to figure out what the harmonic structure is that they have in common....I'll have to get some exact track timings, unless someone knows what I'm talking about.

I'm having a lot of fun getting to know Mr. Goldsmith better. I mean, I've listened to a handful of his scores for years, but only now am I taking the time to really expand my collection and get more intimate with his music. I have even more appreciation for his musical abilities now, and it makes sadder that he's gone to composer heaven :(

Browsing the entire career output of John Williams to show my mom some of his greatest melodies. And after few hours of playing just bits and pieces I'm still not done. There's always another one. Ther clear two winners so far (for my mom) are Angela's Ashes main theme and Monica's theme from A.I.. Good choices.

That and I also listened to his harp concerto.

Karol

I'm happy enough my missus can recognize themes from Rambo and Conan now.

But does she know who wrote them? ;)

That's REAL achievement!

Sorry Croc, I've always assumed you're a Brit, no?

Nope, wrong.

Karol

Well,... MY bad. Sorry man, I just assumed, because of your locale in your mini-bio thingy on the left, that you are a Brit. You probably told me otherwise in the past, but I may have been drunk or somethin' at the time. Sorry.

Crazy.

I'm happy enough my missus can recognize themes from Rambo and Conan now.

But does she know who wrote them? ;)

That's REAL achievement!

John Williams, duh. Wrote Back to the Future, too.