What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Copernicus' Star by Abel Korzeniowski.

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant. Probably the best soundtrack I've heard in a long time (in 5 years for sure). bowdown Seriously, you don't hear such scores in Hollywood motion pictures anymore. If you like (JW's) Harry Potter-kind of symphonic fantasy scores, this is something for you.

Are you writing a review for the soundtracks.pl?

I still couldn't order it. Mainly for the financial reasons. But I'm hoping to get it as soon as it is sorted.

Karol

Are you writing a review for the soundtracks.pl?

I still couldn't order it. Mainly for the financial reasons. But I'm hoping to get it as soon as it is sorted.

Karol

I probably will. I just finished my first listening of the whole CD and I am truly overwhelmed. The soundtrack offers much more goodies than the samples on composer's website (interestingly, some of them are combined into one longer track and some are expanded). The music is also much less minimalistic than his regular output.

Star Trek V, in the car last night, the first opportunity I had to listen to really loud without using headphones. Wonderful score with tons of beauty and tons of Klingon bombast. Love it.

I've been playing bits and pieces of it on my new headphones. Turns out it's one of the best film score recordings I can find. The bass is incredibly clean. Botnick is a genius.

Star Trek V, in the car last night, the first opportunity I had to listen to really loud without using headphones. Wonderful score with tons of beauty and tons of Klingon bombast. Love it.

I've been playing bits and pieces of it on my new headphones. Turns out it's one of the best film score recordings I can find. The bass is incredibly clean. Botnick is a genius.

I'm so glad that "Star Trek: V" is, at last, getting the love it deserves.

I bought this back in June 1989, when I was living in the USA, and going through what I can only describe as "the worst time of my life". This score offered me succor, and lifted me up, when I needed it, and, for that, it will always have a special place in both my music collection, and my life.

I miss Jerry Goldsmith like a sonofabitch. :(

Agreed. This score sounds really slick.

Yeah, the previous album, while enjoyable, turned out to be simply an appetiser. This one is terrific. My mom liked it.

Alice In Wonderland by Danny Elfman

There is some really good material on the album, but, no matter what I do, I can't remember much besides the main theme statements.

Karol

There is some really good material on the album, but, no matter what I do, I can't remember much besides the main theme statements.

Karol

Me too.

I'm listening to a solo piano album of Philip Glass scores done by long time Glass collaborator Michael Riesman.

I listened to Jaws (OST and CE) and Jaws 2 today, haven't done so in a long time. It's always a joy rediscovering what great music these scores contain :) ...

...and then put them back onthe shelf again for months, because there are so many things to listen to. :music:

Mars Needs Moms by John Powell

There is nothing strikingly memorable about it (at least not instantly), but I like it. Good to hear Powell writing more sustained and developed music. No mickey-mousing, which is surprising. Must be an aftershock after HTTYD. And yeah, he can mix orchestra and electronics like no other. Enjoyable.

Gribble Loss is quite an usual cue for this kind of film. In a sense it's much more dramatic and not sappy at that.

Karol

MNM was more than unmemorable - most cues just did nothing for me. I was waiting for some emotion to come, but it just didn't with the exception of Gribble's Loss. The only cues I found interesting were those featuring the main theme - I think Powell's really good at extended, well orchestrated thematic renditions.

I agree though, he's one of the best at mixing orchestra and synths.

Lair by John Debney

It's much much better than Debney's recent works. It's probably too relentless for my tastes, but still very solid.

Karol

Funny enough a few days ago I too listened to the complete score for Star Trek V. Been working on my AOTC edit the last couple of days so really haven't listened to much more scores.

Capricorn One

I've listened to this score maybe 5 times before today. For some reason, it didn't work as well for me. Don't know why. But it kinda felt like just about everything of value had been covered in the Main Title. Not trying to slam it, but it was one of those times when I felt it needed one setpiece segment to stand out from the rest of the score.

For some reason I can't get into the film version. But the original album is a pure awesomeness.

Karol

They both have their pluses, the original album is probably easier on the senses to the casual listener and presents a more symphonic version of the main theme. The original album is harsh and gives one a better feeling of the tension that is present in the film, plus it has the helicopter music.

:music:

Those Magnificent Men And Their Flying Machine - Ron Goodwin.

Another personal holy grail, outstanding sound for a film score recorded in the 60's. A lot of fun stuff.

Over the last few days:

-Prince of Persia - Harry Gregson Williams

The first 30 minutes are promising enough, but then after that the score becomes unfocused.

-The Last Airbender - James Newton Howard

Contrary to popular opinion, the lack of thematic memorability in this score is what kills it for me.

-A View to A Kill - John Barry

One of his best James Bond scores, with electric guitar rips.

-Love Actually - Craig Armstrong (Promo)

Lovely romantic comedy score with less than 30 minutes of material but has a 6 minute orchestral blitz cue.

Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows - Part II by Alexandre Desplat

Well, I had a dream that I was listening to it. It was rather disappointing and there weren't any strong themes to speak of. Hedwig's theme appeared only in one track. What bothered me was the prominent use of electronics (John Powell style).

But it was still better than that ROTJ release I purchased in one of my dreams, which had an entire CD dedicated to the unused country source music.

Karol

Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows - Part II by Alexandre Desplat

But it was still better than that ROTJ release I purchased in one of my dreams, which had an entire CD dedicated to the unused country source music.

Karol

And now, RSO proudly presents:

"RETURN OF THE JEDI: The Nashville Years"

Featuring such classcis as:

"Showdown Hoedown",

"B-Wing Boogie",

"Use The F.O.R.C.E.",

"If I Said You Had A Beautiful Ewok, Would You Hold It Against Me?",

"Yoda-lay-e-hoo!",

and "You Picked A Fine Time To Leave Me, Lando (400 Ewok, and a crap in the field)".

You should start completely new thread: What is the last imaginary score you listened to?

I just realized I should get "co-composed" credit. Man, I'm good. ;)

Karol

You should start completely new thread: What is the last imaginary score you listened to?

I just realized I should get "co-composed" credit. Man, I'm good. ;)

Karol

More likely it will be "additional music" credit. Sorry.

"Star Wars: The Complete Sessions".

Every single piece of recorded music from all 6 films, including alternates, deleted cues, and out-takes, all presented on 45 discs.

Special edition Bucket-Set (it's just too big for a box!) includes anontated replica manuscript scores of all 6 films, 10 DVD-As of all scores re-mixed in DTS 5.1 24/26, by Bruce Botnick (because he's better at it than Shawn Murphy), and a full and signed confession from George Lucas, in which he states that, when he made the prequels, he had no idea what the fuck he was doing.