What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Battlestar Galactica - Wow, why didn't Stu Phillips get a chance to do major films? Much better than I remember.

Cliffhanger, eh 2 discs might be a tad bit too much, and it still sounds like an Alan Silvestri score. Also wonder if John Ottman used this score as a temp for Superman Returns. Heard some stuff, have to go back and revisit. But not a bad purchase, I'll keep it.

Randomly decided to listen to Schindler's List today after my Astronomy teacher brought out his violin in class today. one of my all time favorites and definitely a tear jerker.

Battlestar Galactica - Wow, why didn't Stu Phillips get a chance to do major films? Much better than I remember.

:up:

I can't understand why this title didn't sell out quickly. I think perhaps it is being regarded as a less serious effort than the reboot BSG? Regardless of what you may think of the original BSG, this score is as listenable and engaging as many scores from the big name composers who do sell out in a day. The music is unbelievably varied and exciting. I can't wait for the next volume.

Today, I listened to The Goonies for the first time in a long time. Why was this a holy grail for so many years? 'Cause it's damn fun. That's why. The Inferno theme still gets me.

Love the Don Juan segments so much, I'll be buying the upcoming re-recording.

Heidi - Williams

Maybe my third listen. I liked it much better this time, for some reason. I've never seen the film, but I think the weakest part of the score, for me personally, is actually Heidi's main theme itself. The thing is, it's incredibly appropriate for the subject - conjuring up a fusion of mountain imagery and a sing-songy children's lullaby. I don't really know why, but it doesn't move me. The Alm and the Love theme are wonderful though.

Randomly decided to listen to Schindler's List today after my Astronomy teacher brought out his violin in class today. one of my all time favorites and definitely a tear jerker.

I have to ask, why did your astronomy teacher bring a violin to class?

I'm a little late for the scary music discussion, but, man, don't try to get me to listen to the end of "Carol Anne's Theme" at night. No sir.

I'm a little late for the scary music discussion, but, man, don't try to get me to listen to the end of "Carol Anne's Theme" at night. No sir.

Agreed. Same with Ave Satani. I never shuffle after dark for those reasons. Nothing like being alone in the dark and having demonic chants spring up.

I have to ask, why did your astronomy teacher bring a violin to class?

Haha we were studying sounds and vibrations

Angela's Ashes. Certainly one of the most underrated JW scores...

It's a lovely score, and it's just a crying shame that it was hacked to pieces in the film.

With, or without the narration?

There is a version without the narration?

I absolutely love the theme (one of the most beautiful pieces to play on the piano) its so powerful.

Angela's Ashes. Certainly one of the most underrated JW scores...

It's a lovely score, and it's just a crying shame that it was hacked to pieces in the film.

With, or without the narration?

There is a version without the narration?

I absolutely love the theme (one of the most beautiful pieces to play on the piano) its so powerful.

If memory serves, the USA release has narration, but the European release does not.

I'd like to investigate this. What would be the best way to obtain the European version, and is there a way to tell for sure it's the right one? Is the cover art different?

14 Blades - Henry Lai

A very underrated score. There's definite Promise and Crouching Tiger undertones, but it's wonderful. "14 Blades", "The Righteous Gang", "Death of Xuan Hu" and "Where There is Hope" are the definite highlights. It's not on the usual specialty outlets like FSM, MovieMusic or Intrada, but CD Baby:

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/HenyLai

Currently listening to my complete edit of TLW. Yummy. So glad that back in the day, my initial (rather poor) impression of this score was proven totally wrong by subsequent listens. I still love the first score, and I'll never be able to prefer TLW, but it's way closer than I thought possible.

Listening to Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Some cues from Doctor Who Series 3 by Murray Gold

Series 29 :shakehead: , but nice one, anyway.

I call New Who "Series" and previous DW "Seasons", I'm not sure why.

Flesh and Blood - Basil Poledouris

Some really catchy and strong stuff here. I was honestly a bit skeptical, but ended up enjoying it very much, in fact, I'd rank it higher than his Robocop score, if less iconic. Starts off with a bang, with one or two saggy spots here and there. But overall great, great stuff. So much muscle and testosterone, I think I grew some back hair while listening. Here we have a second-tier Poledouris score to a throwaway film, and yet if this were released today, we'd all be declaring it the messiah of film music.

One thing of which we can all be certain... Basil Poledouris must've had testicles made of solid steel.

Sherlock Holmes by Hans Zimmer. (bootleg)

I like that it sounds so Holmes-ish. It just needs something else, another theme or soemthing.

By the way, one of the themes from Sherlock wouldn't sound out of place in this score.

Lost: Seasons 1-6 by Michael Giacchino

12 hours! Not exactly at one sitting, but over the last two days. The 5 hours of season 6 music flow surprisingly well. It's quite a ride! Pity Giacchino doesn't achieve this kind of heights elsewhere. But then again Lost is quite unique, isn't it?

If I had to rate all the disc it would be as follows (from best to worst): S6CD4, S4, S6CD3, S6CD1, S3CD1, S5, S1, S6CD2, S2, S3CD2.

Karol - who noticed this is perfect background music for writing of any kind