What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

11 hours ago, Incanus said:

TLC is really a terrific score, on its own and as a sequel. The themes are really superb, the Grail theme being my absolute favourite among them.

The Grail theme is probably one of my favourite Williams themes.

7 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

The Grail theme is probably one of my favourite Williams themes.

I know Williams is a master tunesmith but I have always admired his ability to convey such things as the McGuffins in Indy (other concepts too) with such memorability, clarity and in a way that taps into our common cultural and musical history and psyche.

Yes. He's the Homer of film music; Williams underscores the aspirational heart and idealistic core aspects of the broad human condition in epic strokes which are somehow innately romantic and noble to us. 

I always meant to make a thread about a theory I've had for a while now, but never got around to it. 

17 hours ago, Incanus said:

American Beauty by Thomas Newman: Epitome of quirky Newman and he still finds time to pen a sweet little piano theme to melt your heart for this one.

Angels in America by Thomas Newman: All that is wonderful and tremendous about the composer is here in this impressive package. Beautiful.

AIA is a great score, form a stunning mini-series!

Like the first one, this plays like a Pop/R&B/Funk hybrid album with just a slight reminder by way of a prolonged suspense chord here and there that it indeed is a motion picture soundtrack (it's thematically much looser than its predecessor, suspending its main theme for most of the running time). Though it's not essential it's a fun listen if you are not too demanding a listener and with stuff like this, you can't even fault the gargantuan length. It just breezes by. And as far as soundtrack releases go, this is a far bigger accomplishment than most achieve.

I love this album. It very much like an hour long concert piece. Horner had such a gift in creating both a suitable accompaniment for film as well as completely coherent musical work that can be enjoyed apart from it and still make complete emotional/intellectual sense.

Karol

19 minutes ago, Lonnegan said:

The Ghost and Mrs Muir (Herrmann) 

Definitely one of Herrmann's most gorgeous works.

20 years ago, in 1996, the previously unreleased original score of E.T. was released.

20 years ago? :blink:

10931417_1018352028180634_26020157805258

While I do appreciate the inclusion of some darker moments, the original album was already great. It would have been perfect if the last two tracks switched places.

Karol

Listening for the first time to the Raiders original album. Always doing things backward. :sarcasm:

p_8215832.jpg

Oh, a 3:10 version of Marion's Theme?

The Patriot by John Williams

Journey by Austin Wintory

Alien by Jerry Goldsmith

10 hours ago, Jay said:

It's just two film cues edited together, it's not a concert arrangement.

Unfortunately!

Currently listening to:

Indiana Jones (IV) and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - Complete Recording.

14 hours ago, Bespin said:

Unfortunately!

Have a listen to this, the official concert arrangement of the theme, written by Williams in 2008 at Spielberg's request for one of the Boston Pops concerts as he thought it was a shame Marion didn't have one and Williams acquiesced.

5 hours ago, Incanus said:

Have a listen to this, the official concert arrangement of the theme, written by Williams in 2008 at Spielberg's request for one of the Boston Pops concerts as he thought it was a shame Marion didn't have one and Williams acquiesced.

It's maybe a left-out of the "Spielberg/Williams Collaborations" sessions...

Danny Elfman - Alice Through The Looking Glass

:up: A nice listen, going to try chronological order next!

Brian Tyler - Now You See Me 2

Listened to this 3-4 times this weekend.  I love it!  Can do without the dubstep parts though...

:music: Casper by James Horner. Just bought a really cheap used copy of this. Don't think I've ever heard the entire album from start to finish before. It might be a tad too repetitive with the lullaby which doesn't really receive that many variations. But it's a lovely score nonetheless.

Karol

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

:music: Casper by James Horner. Just bought a really cheap used copy of this. Don't think I've ever heard the entire album from start to finish before. It might be a tad too repetitive with the lullaby which doesn't really receive that many variations. But it's a lovely score nonetheless.

Karol

It's as fluffy as the movie but the amount of instrumental detail and variety is very unusual for this kind of venture.

Yeah. Just as with most of his children scores (even The Spiderwick Chronicles) Horner treats them with true sincerity and they almost feel like independent symphonic works. I couldn't really remember the film Casper but the music gives me all the information I need and it sort of brings back memories of something I haven't seen in 20 years. That's a true dramatic skill right there.

Karol

Excellent purchase, Steef!  I also bought and love that CD.  It's fantastic all around, from the sound quality to the program, to Jeff Bond's really exceptionally good liner notes!  I love it!

Sphere by Elliot Goldenthal

Michael Collins by Elliot Goldenthal

Warcraft by Ramin Djawadi

It's exactly the type of rock/pop-influenced, RC-type score you'd expect for this kind of film. It's not exactly high art, but you have some memorable tunes, woodwind solos and decent elegiac moments, showing again that Djawadi occasionally has the chops for somewhat nuanced writing. Granted its still full of the typical drum loops and droning, but it's not all bad. Shame you don't hear as much effort for Game of Thrones.

3 hours ago, EdwardHall said:

Goldsmith - I have been really admiring his writing for violins.

The Secret of NIMH

First Knight

Star Trek: First Contact

Mulan

I love his writing for brass. Even his percussions, I think no one can emulate how he performs those booming percussions.

9 hours ago, crocodile said:

Yeah. Just as with most of his children scores (even The Spiderwick Chronicles) Horner treats them with true sincerity and they almost feel like independent symphonic works. I couldn't really remember the film Casper but the music gives me all the information I need and it sort of brings back memories of something I haven't seen in 20 years. That's a true dramatic skill right there.

Karol

As usual, the only thing to undo a Horner score in the genre is the staggering ability to annoy the seasoned listener with almost autistic re-combinations of (his and sometimes others) older music. Which brings me to a score i once bought and quickly sold for that very reason although it surely has all the right ingredients:

'Project X' is one of these quintessential 80's flicks that pay homage to Disney and Spielberg alike while offering content so utterly eye-popping unbelievable that you almost have to congratulate its makers for daring to unload it straight-eyed into cinemas. It riffs on some tacky environmentalist messages so typical for the late 80's (remember those 'Fur kills animals' signs from 'Lethal Weapon 2') - you always could blow up plenty of stuff, including people, as long as it was in aid of some nobler goal. Matthew Broderick at his most puppy-looking is paired up with chimpanzees exploited by The Evil US Military ComplexR  he must save from being radiated, it has one of those 'they didn't do that???' finales but it still does not belong in the esteemed hall of bad motion pictures. It's too workmanlike for that.

As for the Horner score: it is quintessential, but sadly only in the sense that it is one of those long forgotten works he gutted and feasted on till kingdom come. Nearly all of his major works from 'Willow' up to 'Avatar' find their thematic and aesthetic germs in...'Project X'! Deep into his mid-80's infatuation with 'world' music, it's rife with andean pipes and japanese flutes (basically a steady employment program for players like Kazu Matsui and Tony Hinnigan) and lots of exotic percussion mixed with the typical wide-eyed orchestral stuff reminiscent of 'Cocoon'.

The amount of material re-honed, re-combined, re-purposed and re-boiled in later years is remarkable indeed: á propos it might be to honor the same stuff in a Disney movie called 'Mighty Joe Young' (after all, it's basically the same movie just with a bigger ape though not quite the same species), but 'Project X' manages to anticipate in hefty doses evil Bavmorda's danger motif, the whole mad scientist music from 'Honey i Shrunk the Kids' (second half of the clip above) that must have left Horner puzzled when he later got sued for its copyright infringement of two other composers (Raymond Scott and Nino Rota) for that movie and also pays loving homage to '48 Hours' and 'Brainstorm'.

Familiarity not always breeds contempt and ironically the best element of 'Project X' is the majestic flying music obviously modeled on another Fox movie about flying, Goldsmith's 'Blue Max' (the triplets give it away) but you're still left with a mess. Taken on its own, it might not be quite Top Ten material but a colourful, entertaining if innocuous mix with a lovable sweet tune. But with all those references you pick up as someone even only vaguely familiar with James Horner's works it becomes a bit of a Frankenstein monster. Which is a shame given Horner's obvious ability to come up with great film music at a whim.

1 hour ago, Nick Tatopoulos's Beret said:

Independence Day complete score with excepting the film version of "Target Remains", which we still don't have

It's on the 2000 World Records thingy. Have you found that one?

Angela's Ashes by John Williams

A.I. Artificial Intelligence (LLL set) by John Williams

Two of my top 5 John Williams scores.

Was listening to all the Indy soundtracks this week, the OST albums and the Concord set.

Yesterday I revisited Accidental Tourist.

I love this score altought it's pretty much the same theme repeated on all the tracks! Hehe