What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

7 minutes ago, Richard said:

Thanks, Croc! I like it!

It is a very good score. And the fact the entire thing is little over 30 minutes long means it'll never outstay its welcome.

Karol

Ludwig Goranson - Black Panther (Vinyl edit)

I made a Spotify playlist of the vinyl program (available here).  I listened to this score once a while ago, and liked it BUT I felt the album program betrayed its strengths by being too long and redundant.  I was hoping a shorter presentation would change my mind.. and it did!  I liked the score a lot more now.  Now I really need to see the movie finally....

I didn't know there was a vinyl programme too. Interesting, will check it out. Think viewing the film will help. I can listen to the full album as is. Not sure if this isn't the entire score.

Karol

Joe Hisaishi - Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom (2018)

I haven't listened to all of this but man there's some great cues in here.  I think the official soundtrack comes out in June (in Japan at least)

Hour of the Gun (Tadlow/Prometheus re-recording) by Jerry Goldsmith: For some reason I have a soft spot for this Goldsmith Western. I love the certain sparseness of it and the way the composer spins nearly all of the score from his main theme in one way or the other.

What with revisiting Benchley's book, opted to listen to the 1975 release of Jaws' soundtrack (what forms the second disc of the Intrada release) as I read the book and then also Michael Small's score for the fourth, er, film. Forgive my descriptive as I tend to get muddled on the themes but from the off, I'll say that listening to this original release I had the same thought virtually ad infinitum, that this is one of the best film scores going (in any form, the original release through to the recent expanded Intrada) and quite honestly, top 3 now on my Williams list. 

I've always liked the Orca theme (though when I first heard it, before I even came across this forum, used to think of it either as Brody's theme or a 'sea shanty', too many trips to Portsmouth as a kid methinks) and whenever I hear it, just elevates the score. But then you have the action music, that on this particular release comes early in "Sea Attack Number One" -immediately conjures to mind the trio of Quint, Hooper and Brody lurching into action to get after the shark. The first version of the score I ever got hands on was the anniversary edition by Decca and thus to me, the last say twenty minutes or few tracks is relentless, a mesh of the shark/Jaws theme, Orca but just action in the score which is why the final track is one of my favourites generally. In my mind, Williams' way of saying you've just been pulled over the coals chasing this shark, fighting the shark, losing Quint and now -like Brody and Hooper, you finally make it to land and you're done. Dare I say it's pleasant. 

But then the expanded of course has delights like Father & Son, Montage (which brings to mind Hooper's sarcastic "You're all gonna die" as he watches the hunters leave to find the shark), Into the Estuary etc. Every track a hit, every hit a smash. 

As for Jaws 4, to me, the score is so far removed from the film. Easy to forget it's attached to that film. Yes, it's nowhere near Williams' two scores for the 'franchise' but Small does something to the theme that feels or sounds rather, quite fierce and savage especially with "Shocked Shark" towards the end but the end theme which I didn't twig until listening to it on headphones, weaves Williams' end title (from the first film) into the background whilst still doing the shark theme. Though I do miss the days when I only had watched the first film and never touched the sequels. 

Both made the book fun to read, in a way...!

Robert_Shaw_as_Quint_in_the_movie_Jaws_1976.jpg

1 hour ago, Strangways said:

What with revisiting Benchley's book, opted to listen to the 1975 release of Jaws' soundtrack (what forms the second disc of the Intrada release) as I read the book and then also Michael Small's score for the fourth, er, film. Forgive my descriptive as I tend to get muddled on the themes but from the off, I'll say that listening to this original release I had the same thought virtually ad infinitum, that this is one of the best film scores going (in any form, the original release through to the recent expanded Intrada) and quite honestly, top 3 now on my Williams list. 

I've always liked the Orca theme (though when I first heard it, before I even came across this forum, used to think of it either as Brody's theme or a 'sea shanty', too many trips to Portsmouth as a kid methinks) and whenever I hear it, just elevates the score. But then you have the action music, that on this particular release comes early in "Sea Attack Number One" -immediately conjures to mind the trio of Quint, Hooper and Brody lurching into action to get after the shark. The first version of the score I ever got hands on was the anniversary edition by Decca and thus to me, the last say twenty minutes or few tracks is relentless, a mesh of the shark/Jaws theme, Orca but just action in the score which is why the final track is one of my favourites generally. In my mind, Williams' way of saying you've just been pulled over the coals chasing this shark, fighting the shark, losing Quint and now -like Brody and Hooper, you finally make it to land and you're done. Dare I say it's pleasant. 

But then the expanded of course has delights like Father & Son, Montage (which brings to mind Hooper's sarcastic "You're all gonna die" as he watches the hunters leave to find the shark), Into the Estuary etc. Every track a hit, every hit a smash. 

As for Jaws 4, to me, the score is so far removed from the film. Easy to forget it's attached to that film. Yes, it's nowhere near Williams' two scores for the 'franchise' but Small does something to the theme that feels or sounds rather, quite fierce and savage especially with "Shocked Shark" towards the end but the end theme which I didn't twig until listening to it on headphones, weaves Williams' end title (from the first film) into the background whilst still doing the shark theme. Though I do miss the days when I only had watched the first film and never touched the sequels. 

Both made the book fun to read, in a way...!

I don't think it can be called self-promotion when I gain nothing from it, but you might be interested in the Jaws isolated score videos I'm posting in this thread:

Rosewood by John Williams: The 90's was for Williams a period where he seemed to actively seek drama films to score and Rosewood is among the most unique, a return to his more folksy side in the vein of The Reivers, The Missouri Breaks and The River but this time with a bit darker due to the subject matter and with grander production values that afforded for him the use a large symphony orchestra alongside the Americana folk instrumentation. A new territory unheard in the inestimable maestro's scores prior to this are the three gospel songs Look Down Lord, Light My Way and Freedom Train that give ample proof of his chameleon-like ability to adapt into these idioms with authentic ease (as Jon Singleton points out in the interview snippets in the liner notes, JW had knowledge of gospel music and had even arranged songs for Mahalia Jackson back in his youth).

This combination of elements works rather perfectly and paints a very recognizable rural bluesy Americana atmosphere that has a touch of authenticity but stays firmly in the realm of dramatic film scoring (apparently the original rejected music for the film by Wynton Marsalis had been a bit too on the source music side without dramatic heft). Contributions from the soloists like guitar by Dean Parks, harmonica by Tommy Morgan and gospel vocals by Shirley Caesar give the work another fresh layer that differentiate this score from most of the composer's output around this time. While the themes might not be as hummable as Williams' usual fare for fantasy and adventure, he works them into a well-constructed architecture that has a truly compelling atmosphere and feel of time and place to it. The Lala-Land Records complete score release is in itself a satisfying experience but the old OST album is a fine well-rounded listening experience that gathers most of the central elements into a 50-minute summation. Worth taking a look if you are interested in a different side of Williams than the one of the Star Wars or Harry Potter fame.

:music:Star Trek V by Jerry Goldsmith

How to Train Your Dragon by John Powell

WALL-E by Thomas Newman

The Return of the King by Howard Shore

John Powell is fantastic here. Nice use of instruments. 

WALL-E is very spacy and fun.

Not the best TLOTR score. Actually the last to me. But still good. Hard to match Fellowship and Towers!

4 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Not the best TLOTR score. Actually the last to me. But still good. Hard to match Fellowship and Towers!

Wrong!

6 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Right!*

*We all know what opinions are, right? I shared mine. It's right to me.

12 hours ago, artguy360 said:

I'm currently listening to the Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild soundtrack CD release which just arrived today from Japan. It is pretty incredible. 

Nice!  I got an email from DHL indicating it would arrive yesterday, but checked the tracking and it seems its stuck in Cincinatti with no estimated arrival date.  Odd.

56 minutes ago, John said:

Wrong!

52 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Right!*

*We all know what opinions are, right? I shared mine. It's right to me.

Opinions are neither right, nor wrong, they're just...opinions :)

Maybe he only listened to the OST. That's the only way I can even imagine somebody thinking that. It's really non-chronological and several crucial cues are not the complete or final form.

1 hour ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

52 minutes ago, John said:

Very true, but in this case, Jerry's is objectively false.

1 hour ago, John said:

Wrong!

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

You’re listening wrong. 

Did anyone read the post? MY least favourite of the three scores, but still VERY GOOD

Image result for hobbit gifs

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Nice!  I got an email from DHL indicating it would arrive yesterday, but checked the tracking and it seems its stuck in Cincinatti with no estimated arrival date.  Odd.

The worst! *shudders*

They're great here. My nemesis is UPS - they have one single depot in the country and the most they say about a package's delivery is it will be tomorrow between 9-19 o'clock. Thanks guys, very helpful. They don't even send the driver's phone number so I can tell him not to bother if he can't reach me before xx.

27 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Did anyone read the post? MY least favourite of the three scores, but still VERY GOOD

Incorrect!

25 minutes ago, John said:

False!

I know what you're doing John. I'm not going to give you the satisfaction of my being annoyed. If you so much as reply in the dull and uninformed format which you have earlier...

Now if anyone would like to comment on the score for what it really is, go ahead. Enough of this mockery.

2 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I know what you're doing John. I'm not going to give you the satisfaction of my being annoyed. If you so much as reply in the dull and uninformed format which you have earlier...

Now if anyone would like to comment on the score for what it really is, go ahead. Enough of this mockery.

Inaccurate!

Jurassic Park by John Williams

Revisiting one of my all-time favorites. John Williams awesome theme makes this score come to life. The portrayal of dinosaurs through music is excellent. One of Williams' best, no doubt.

Kung Fu Panda by John Powell/Zimmer

Actually hadn't heard this one before, in another odd case where I heard the sequel score first. It's a shame this couldn't be a Powell solo assignment, as while the Zimmer bits are entertaining enough, they feel rather simplistic compared to the invigorating and lively Powell sections. 

I know! I don't get it. Powell was more than capable of doing those movies by himself. The Zimmer sections in KFP are hardly outright bad, they're just...a bit of a step down after Powell kicking ass. 

I noticed one thing that the variation on the Avengers theme (its resolution, to be more specific) found at the very end of One Way Ticket is very similar to the one in Spider-Man: Homecoming (Stark Contrast). It's interesting that both scenes are linked to Spider-Man becoming an Avenger. Coincidence? Temp?

Karol

1 hour ago, kaseykockroach said:

Kung Fu Panda by John Powell/Zimmer

Actually hadn't heard this one before, in another odd case where I heard the sequel score first. It's a shame this couldn't be a Powell solo assignment, as while the Zimmer bits are entertaining enough, they feel rather simplistic compared to the invigorating and lively Powell sections. 

What about the mounsey etc sections? 

They're all fine, I mainly just get taken out of it when it just sounds like "Lion Ling but in China". Powell and others at least add some color.

I'm mainly just confused why they couldn't be the solo assignment Powell got with How to Train Your Dragon. Did they think Kung Fu Panda was too complex for him to handle?